Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Need opinions on a starter bike.  (Read 9643 times)

OU812

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 98'CR250, 90' KDX200 FREDETTE, 89' GL1500
GPS: Buffalo Grove IL
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

The older I get, the faster I was...

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

ED(MXVET57) has a EX 500 that he may be ready to part with soon........ Bigsmile

phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3993

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 08:35:06 PM »

Yes, I definitely would buy used to start, especially being my first bike and all. The Ninja 250 is a great looking bike and most likely the one I will start with, I think that is the bike I will be most comfortable with to start as well. And, yes it can always be sold to buy what I want in time.

In my opinion, one of the biggest obstacles to proficient motorcycle riding involves confidence.
With what you have said here, the Ninja 250 is the bike you have a lot of confidence in. With your comfort level established, I just don't see how you can't get off to a good start.

And me, I just don't pay much attention to comments about needing a bike with more displacement. Among sportbikes and standards, I haven't owned a bike greater than a 750 and I just don't see the need. After about 8 years of riding, I still search through classified ads for a good deal on an SV650. I could ride it around town, tour on it, or take it to the track. Probably will go that route within a year or two. I also look through the classifieds for a Ninja 250 with some of the same thoughts. It can do it, I'm sure. And you can get a good nearly new one for cheap.

I agree with that.  The motor on the FZ6 is a de-tuned R6 (their 600 cc race replica bike).  Check out the FZ6R, which is a similar bike, but with less power.  Downside?  Not many used.

I'm not 100% positive, but to me, the FZ6R is just an FZ6 + more plastics. If it is lower on power, its not by much.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:39:48 PM by phoenix » Logged

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
schoon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 97 YZF 1000R, 05 DR-Z 400SM,
GPS: Iowa
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

My daughter just started riding last year. She got a 250 Ninja and loves it! When she rode my DR it was a little to much for her. The 250 seems like the the perfect bike and they got it for under a grand with 4000 miles.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2309

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »

Look for a good deal on a used Ninja 250 and who cares if you out grow it.  You are a biginner and WILL drop it so dont be afraid of getting something that has been predropped for you and is priced accordingly.  Ride it for a year or two and then decide if you want to move up.  You will not regret the light weight and easy handling of the 250.  

Yankee Dog

jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2764

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »

I'm not 100% positive, but to me, the FZ6R is just an FZ6 + more plastics. If it is lower on power, its not by much.

78 hp down from 90 in the FZ6.  Not much of a difference, but the peak comes at 11,500 rpm.  I highly doubt an new rider will be hitting those sorts of rpms.  Hell, I'm hard pressed to get my Ninja up to 7k on any given day.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

If you're still thinking Ninja 250, I have a used one, prerashed, that runs fine, but needs a new home.  I'm in Maryland and have taught 4 new riders on it.  It has the dings to prove it too.  Great starter bike which I prefer to Rebel 250's because it has disc brakes (older Rebels still had a drum brake).

Currently I use it as a commuter for yucks sake.  But it's my 3rd bike and doesn't get run as much as it should.
SheriL

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »

I appreciate everyones input, and I think I am leaning towards the 250 ninja. I can always sell it and move up to the FZ6 once I have built up my confidence and experience. I know for sure I definitely want a sport bike. I like the FZ6 because it doesn't have a lot of plastic and love the exhaust up under the seat.  Now to take the riders course, get my license, and find a half way decent bike. Can hardly wait for spring!!!
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1453

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 11:11:53 PM »

Ninja 250 and then get a brand new FZ8!   Bigsmile

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -103

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15335

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 11:26:48 PM »

ED(MXVET57) has a EX 500 that he may be ready to part with soon........ Bigsmile

actually the answer is yes. it's an 1988 with 88,000 and some change on the ODO.  rite now i have the forks apart. (waiting for parts)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/mxvet57/EX%20500/100_1455.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/mxvet57/EX%20500/100_1459.jpg

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Oddball

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1312

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »

As a starter bike I'd recommend something along the line of a Yamaha XT225.  That way you can ride it in the dirt and if you drop it who cares.  

Then when you are ready for something bigger just for the road you'll still have a dual purpose bike.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:09:12 PM by Oddball » Logged

IBA# 22015
Squijummonkey

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '99 Honda CBR 1100XX "Blackbird"
GPS: Covington, Washington
Miles Typed: 640

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »

I think you'll grow out of a ninja 250 rather quickly. I started riding 3 years ago and am 5'2" and my starter bike was a Ninja 500. It took me one riding season to get tired of it before I wanted something higher than a 600. The 500 is much like the 250, it just looks uglier. It's extremely light, and very forgivable in anything you do.

If money is in the back of your mind, you're going to pay just as much for a used 250 as you are for a new or used 500. Maybe a grand less when new? Not much of a difference.

What I would recommend doing is going to a shop and sitting on the bikes you have in mind, then some other ones in between. It is always easier to ride in something you feel comfortable in (confidence booster), then the speed and experience come soon after.
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »

The coolest thing about buying a used Ninja 250 is that even if you DO outgrow it quickly, you can sell it just as quickly, often for what you paid for it, as long as you didn't bust it up to badly.  Turnaround on those is fast...especially in the spring when people are looking to get into riding.  It's honestly your best bet to get into riding on a sport(y) bike.  You can't go wrong with one of those.
bmwrider79

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMW R1200 GSW the wet one
GPS: Rolling Ground Wis & Fox lake IL
Miles Typed: 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:32 AM »

My wife learned in 2009 to ride.  

Please consider the bike you may want may not be the best to strart with.  
Please consider fit first, you must fit the bike.  Bad fit equals inabilty to ride and or handle.  
Form you must be able to handle the bike, especially at low speed.  
looks and style of the bike is very UN important.  your dont look good on the ground on any thing.

She saw at moto show the guzzi V7 wow loved the looks. then after class we went to buy. only to realize the bike did not fit.  then she wanted a BMW R1200C.  well that id not fit or work well either.  low  center of gravity only 530 pounds but the function of the steering was very unlike a standard motor cycle.    
now she has a used BMW f650GS lowered with lowseat.  fit is perfect, function is perfect, and shed rides with confidence. she realized that the style is pointless if you cannot ride the bike properly.

Not recomending the F560gs due to i do not know any thing about your wife and he riding abilty.

My wife is 5'10" thin build, strong, but does not weight lift etc... and can hadle picking up the F650gs by her self.  yes beginners may do that

The msf classes they use basic 250cc bikes very easy to ride.

what may feel good in show room will feel differently after 1hour in the saddle
PM me if you want to talk to my wife on the phone she will gladly discuss her experience.

Mike G
Bi-Locational Packer Fan.
HankB
President of the IBMWR

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 293

My Photo Gallery

I am here to serve you.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

Lots of good advice here - I'll add my $0.02.

SWMBO took the MSF course a couple years ago and we got lucky finding a lightly used (120 miles) Suzuki GZ250 that same weekend. She had a blast with it and didn't tire of it for a couple years. Of course, YMMV. We rode all over and she even had it up to one of the meets in Boscobel a couple years ago.

A couple years down the road she upgraded to a BMW F650CS. We started out with it lowered front and rear and after a couple years of riding it, we returned it to standard height. Lowering resulted in clearance difficulties with the side stand at full lean. At 5' tall, she has to plan carefully where she stops and usually tripods. I think she can touch the ground with her toes but I don't think she is stable like that.

Plan on learning on a bike you will outgrow. You will learn much that will help you pick your next bike by actually having some miles under your belt. And a 250 can still be a hoot. I was riding her GZ one day and pulled up to a light next to some guys in a pickup truck. They were laughing - probably at the sight of me on such a small bike. Nevertheless I had no trouble leaving them in the dust when the light changed.  Lol

Key points are:

MSF course
Starter bike (preferably used)
Think
Have Fun!

'98 Dakar K1200RS "BABY K" grew up Bigsmile
'93 R100R with Velorex 700 sidecar - MBD starts
jamesgino

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '94 Honda Magna / '08 Honda Rebel / '09 Suzuki V-Strom
GPS: Northern Middle Tennessee
Miles Typed: 290

My Photo Gallery

Morally Challenged

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »

As a starter bike I'd recommend something along the line of a Yamaha XT225.  That way you can ride it in the dirt and if you drop it who cares.  

Then when you are ready for something bigger just for the road you'll still have a dual purpose bike.

+2

I like starting people out on dirt bikes. You can find street legal dirt bikes for under $1000, drop it a hundred times and never feel bad. Start on the dirt then move onto the street. Once you have the basics for riding then go ahead and move on up to a 600-800cc bike.
Scottyfizz

Reputation 13

GPS: Quad Cities,IA
Miles Typed: 821

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »

I want one of those just for me to ride!
bmwrider79

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMW R1200 GSW the wet one
GPS: Rolling Ground Wis & Fox lake IL
Miles Typed: 65

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »

I see your in Iowa.  My wife had a bad encounter with her first attempt a MSF school with a instructor that well was out of touch with the agenda of the MSF.  4 drop out by Saturday and 2 or 3 more by Sunday Noon.  My wife was #6 or 7.

Spoke with director and they said his classes do have a lot of drop outs.  Hmmmm

My personal MSF experience was very good.  I was a some what experinced rider before MSF but still learned a lot.  

My point is get some feed back from some women who have taken the course your wife is going to take. Not all instructors are not equally gifted in the art of instruction.

My wife actually took a semi private MSF course and had a female instructor that was great.   http://www.lrn2ryd.com/

The recommendation is not much good to you since your 4 hours away and in a different state etc...  

Best of luck.

Mike G
Bi-Locational Packer Fan.
Tyler

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2013 CanAm Spyder
GPS: Santa Clara, CA
Miles Typed: 650

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »

I think the Ninja 250 would be sufficient for me, but Scott thinks I will outgrow it. Please keep in mind I am only 5' 4", so I don't think I would outgrow it. But the bike that really catches my eye is the Yamaha FZ6. Thanks All!!!

Sheri, get what you think is best for YOU for your first bike. I also agree that the Ninja 250 is a wonderful "starter" bike. If you outgrow it, you outgrow it and move up with confidence when  you are ready to do so. This is the first lesson in riding... don't try to keep up or choose to what others think you should do (with all due respect to your hubby of course!). It's not the bike, it's the pilot. I started out on a GZ250 and absolutely had a blast for 1-1/2 years on it. When I knew I was ready, I moved onto the next bike. The Ninjas have a great resale value so buying one, riding it for six months, and selling it won't be a huge out-of-pocket expense. Good luck!!  Thumbsup
denisep

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki ZZR600, Plasma Blue
GPS: Kernersville, NC
Miles Typed: 302

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »

You may be a better beginner rider than I was..   I'm 5 foot 2, bought a Honda Shadow 750 for my first bike and dropped it *several* times in the first couple months..   Very discouraging for a new rider..  

Buy a bike that you can hold up fairly well, and isn't new-- that way, when you drop it, you won't feel sick on your stomach.

After you've ridden the heck out of it..  then you'll have a better idea of what you want as a "keeper" bike..  

Good luck!!   Smile

(I think either a 250 Ninja or 500 would be perfect..  )

CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 800

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »

A year later and my wife (6'1") still loves her 250 Ninja.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal