Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Need some advice with 20 year old son and bike  (Read 7322 times)

Zerosum

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '88 Hawk GT, '97 VFR750, '06 V-Strom 650
GPS: Baltimore, MD
Miles Typed: 2732

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »

+ 1,000,000 on paying in cash... HIS CASH.  The last thing a poor, 20 year-old college student needs is a motorcycle loan (and the collision/comprehensive insurance that goes with it.)  I saw too many friends get sucked into the debt-trap during their college years, mostly due to their senses of entitlement being bigger then their meager incomes at the time.  Today they're in their 30s, and they have piles of debt that started in college.

Have him get a GS500, EX500, SV650, something like that.  Something he can save up for and buy in one summer of work. Sportbikes will still be around when he has a decent job in a few years.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:00:55 PM by Zerosum » Logged

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 01:45:51 PM »

Call the insurance company and get a quote on a 600 sport bike. Since it will be financed he will need full coverage.

The premium alone will probably change his mind. Wink

On that same note confirm the insurance levels on a few other bike choices.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:47:25 PM by MK96xj » Logged

Snapping Twig

Reputation 52

Motorcycles: 2012 BMW R1200R
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »

By way of example, here's what I'm riding today - and I own a house!

I could go out and finance a Ferrari, but I can do that because I choose not to.

Perfect type of starter bike!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/IMG00145-20100211-1148.jpg

Totally affordable at @ 2K for an excellent condition later (mid to late 90's) model, no one wants to steal it, 56hp, 43 pound/feet of torque, short wheelbase, handles great, 50mpg.

Insurance is close to nothing.

Earth First!

We can log the other planets later.
Castaway

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 V-Strom
GPS: New York
Miles Typed: 1331

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

Lots of good bikes have been mentioned ... I'm surprised that the Kawasaki 650r and the Honda 599 haven't been so far. These smaller bikes, even the Ninja 250 can be quite competitive in the right hands, and they're cheaper to buy and own.

I've seen the truth, and it didn't make sense.
RRdvark
2011 WSBK Fantasy Racing Cup World Champion

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Honda CBR1000RR
Miles Typed: 933

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »

I'd recommend one of the 250 super-moto's you can get now.  It is essentially a dirt bike and they aren't all that fast, but would still be enjoyable and carry something of a cool factor (you can jump it, after all).  My daughter just turned 16 and that is the push I'm making (she wants a 250 Ninja).

I have no idea what insurance runs on the super-motos, though.
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

I'd recommend one of the 250 super-moto's you can get now.  It is essentially a dirt bike and they aren't all that fast, but would still be enjoyable and carry something of a cool factor (you can jump it, after all).  My daughter just turned 16 and that is the push I'm making (she wants a 250 Ninja).

Nothing wrong with the little Ninja.  And don't think supermotos "aren't all that fast"--they may not have a high top speed on the highway, but I rode Zed's Wr250X last year, and I could see myself getting into all kinds of trouble on that thing! Bigsmile  (I'd probably ride slower on the 250 Ninja.)

E=MC2
Marcster
The (HiViz) Greenhorn

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '00 Yamaha Diversion (Seca II) - WRECKED.
GPS: Let's go Phill-eees!
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

That's nice, but can it be made into jerky?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »

I have no idea what insurance runs on the super-motos, though.

Over the Winter I checked into insurance on the WR250X and the WR250R through my insurance company (Progressive).  

Now I know that it varies from person to person and region to region, but the WR250R would be $239/year and the WR250X would be $480/year.

...I'm just sayin'.

Everyone needs a Trunk Monkey in their topcase!

carpe_diem

Reputation 10

GPS: Stamford, CT, USA
Miles Typed: 186

My Photo Gallery

Wombat Crossing

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 01:31:26 PM »

The new Ninja 250 is great little bike, looks cool and is a blast to ride.

Also cheap to insure and when you get bored of it, you can usually sell it for a few hundred less than you paid for it (assuming you bought it used).

2006 ZZR-600
Heated Grips, Frame Sliders, Fused Accesory Panel, Corbin Seat
Former Bikes: 2003 SV-650 Naked, 2002 Ninja 250
scott63

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2008 FXDB
GPS: Down South
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »

a used sporty 883 plentiful, reasonably priced and simple to service.
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

The sv650s with fairing lowers looks like a full repli-racer, that seems to be the look your son is after and these bikes are affordable, good beginner street bikes that he shouldn't "outgrow" for quite awhile like he might on a 250. A Drz 400 sm might be something to look at in the supermoto class though, Although supermoto bikes do tend to encourage shenanigans. At least mine does.....
duceduceexplorer

Reputation -5

Motorcycles: 2001 Honda RC51
GPS: Ypsilanti, MI
Miles Typed: 497

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »

Im going to go with everyone else here...make him pay cash for the bike as he is going to need to be paying $$ for the insurance. Im 27 and no tickets or points and for comp coverage with a decent amount of medical my premium is $1600 for my RC51 (granted its 998 cc's). I've rode sv650's and they are a great bike as well as the others mentioned, however a ninja 250 might have higher insurance rates for someone his age as its a full faring bike. I would say before he buys something he needs to price out the insurance and see what he can afford. Also price out maintenance for that bike. Another factor in getting a bike is GOOD riding gear, i would say to start expect to pay $400-600 maybe more depending on where you live and what the needs are. IF and thats a big IF you help him out (which i don't think you should, just for the same reasons everyone else mentioned) MAYBE buy him the gear, and make it the "NICEST (by this i mean SAFEST) gear out there. And to the some people that are suggesting a supermotard, someone thats 20 doesn't need to be on a bike that can wheelie in a heart beat, since the kid comes from dirt bikes any motard he gets on he would be able to crack that front wheel up in the air in one or two tries. I still haven't ridden a motard bc i KNOW how i would ride it and i grew up on dirt bikes as well. Thats just my 2 pennies being a "youngster" as well.

-Adam
mugwump58

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3395

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »

Over the Winter I checked into insurance on the WR250X and the WR250R through my insurance company (Progressive).  

Now I know that it varies from person to person and region to region, but the WR250R would be $239/year and the WR250X would be $480/year.

...I'm just sayin'.

Lucky me, my insurance is based on cc's, which explains why I find ways to have fun on 250's and 500's, plus they save me from myself.

"...hoards of steely-eyed desperados..." stevent
jdgretz

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Los Angeles area
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

The Fast Sexy Red Italian Norge

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »

My step-son rides an older 600 Ninja.  He started with an '07 Ninja 250 that got hit by a Sheriff's Deputy (he's fine from that) and loved it.  In fact, he'd sort of like to go back to the 250.  He likes the power of the 600 but had more fun on the 250.

You might also look at Triumphs.  There is certainly something to be said for standard bikes and the Steve McQueen/Marlon Brando look.

jdg

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/CA/Canoga_Park.gif
'07 Norge - Sophia, '99 Honda Helix '76 Honda CJ360T, '03 Honda Shadow (The Loaner)
Paintman

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: , 79 XT500,86 XT600,79 Yamaha XS1100,80 MNS,KLR650,2000 Concours
GPS: Rapid city sD
Miles Typed: 264

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:06 PM »

when my daughter turned 18 she asked to get her Bike endorsement since i help teach on base we did it she had been riding dirt bikes  along time. i picked up a 250 ninja cheap she rode the wheels off it then started riding my XT500 St tracker i built. Now she has a 600RR used we got and loves it she is very responsible and if i dont lock the shop my Superhawk gets a few more miles. but she paid for and wrenched on her used Bikes i was rt there to help.
Its alot of fun to ride with her esp when  she pulls of her helmet and all that hair hair falls out and the guys go damn shes a little girl LOL

why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest corner of the shop
USAF Ret Flight Medic
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S, '13 Volvo/ISX15 Cummins
GPS: The lower 48
Miles Typed: 7580

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »

Any thoughts on what you would recommend if this were your kid?

Dude, we're in the same sinking boat.

I've got an XT600E basket case. I'll help him rebuild it, but he has to charge. Sound familiar?

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Skidmark

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2001 RST1000
Miles Typed: 64

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »

It's too bad you're so far away.  

When I was 21, I bought my first bike in cash. The rents wouldn't have helped with that.  I also bought a full set of gear with my own money.
It was a 1999 Yamaha YZF-600R in Wine Red.  3 Years and some 12,000 miles later, I still haven't had more than a parking lot mishap.  
The bonus of this bike is that it is a "sport-touring" bike by insurance standards, so it's much cheaper than a 600RR.
Because i owned it and paid for everything, i was much more careful and didn't hurt myself or the bike.  

It happens to be for sale, if you're interested.  ( glladewig@new.rr.com )

"There is but one path... we kill them all."
New: 2001 Aprilia Futura RST1000
Gone:[2005 F4i][1999 Yamaha YZF600R]
9secondsflat

Reputation -3

Motorcycles: 08 zx14
Miles Typed: 76

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

my .02 food for thought...
first- has he ever had any type of moving violation while driving his car or truck? was it for speeding? if you answered YES two either then the bike will only magnify the issues and problems by 10 fold. Any bike especially a sport bike can travel at 80-90mph as if it is sitting still. They accelerate faster then virtually all cars made (excluding the zr1's and supercars made today) and this also can get him into a tremendous amout of problems. The other concerns are since the bikes can accelerate so quick, its the other people on the road that will cut infront and can cause major problems very quick. It takes quite a disciplined rider/owner not to use the power of a bike (trust me i had a turbo hayabusa 274 rwhp) on the street.
All that said, my suggestions woud be for a standard (not a sport bike of any kind) or a dual purpose bike- enduro. This will keep the insurance at a (gulp) palatable level, it will also provide more then ample fun (any bike is better then most any car when it comes to fun in the sun)
I would suggest either a DRZ-400 Suzuki (lots of fun, cheap insurance, he wont catch flack from friends for riding a "girls" bike) or  a bike like a SV650 or similar- (cheap insurance, fun, semi-sport performance at a fraction of the price)
jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '07 BMW F800ST '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1495

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »

I live in a university town. A lot of the riding students post on another board. I see enough of my-bike-was-stolen (especially R6's); someone-hit-my-parked-bike posts to convince me that a faired sport bike really doesn't belong on any college campus.  On the street, I see a lot of Japanese sport bikes "nakeded" out or with fairing parts missing ridden by young men.  I've also seen a lot of older sport bikes in the U district ratted out deliberately with rattlecan paint jobs, blacked-out branding and duct tape, clearly to defer thieves; their motors sound well-tuned.

I'd get the oldest, ugliest sub-$2k Japanese-make bike you can find and give it a full service with your son before he leaves for school so he's ready to take good care of it.  A good candidate would be a Suzuki 500E in teal with white wheels or a twenty-year-old Honda or Kaw 250R with Miami Vice purple trim.  Remind your son that the motors have remained unchanged in 20 years in these models.

If there are swings in temperature I'd get a carb'ed model.  For a new rider, I think it's easier to warm up a bike in cooler temperatures (= temperatures cooler than the bike is normally ridden in) than deal with a snatchy fuel-injected motor.   The bike is going to serve as basic transportation so will be ridden under all conditions. Make sure it has a good headlight, good brake feel and rain-ready tires.

A cheaper, ugly, used bike might have funds leftover for a hardshell, locking topcase. Sure they look dumb, but are so handy and thief-resistent.  You can fit an 18-pack of caffeinated soda in them easily.  Wink  Backpacks are handy,  but I wouldn't want to land on most of the books I had in college even in a parking lot slip-up. Crazy

You should also discuss what your son's policy will be regarding "rides."  Whatever the law may be, it doesn't apply to private property and he may be tempted to give an enthusiastic co-ed a short ride on-campus sans helmet (DAHIK). I've seen some bikes parked in the U-district with the passenger pegs removed--that's one way to go.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:02:29 PM by jsanford » Logged

'07 BMW F800ST '08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Gu
njd

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 Versys
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

I'm 21 right now. I ride a ex500.

Dirt bike experience or not, buying an r6 as a first bike is just plain dumb. Especially a new one. And as others have said, the insurance rates alone will be more expensive than his loan payments. I took out a small loan to buy my ninja, but that was through a credit union (low rate), and I work 20-30 hrs a week so making payments is no problem.

As long as he's responsible and works hard, getting a loan isn't necessarily a bad idea. It'll help teach him the experience of paying bills on a regular basis, having to save money, month after month, and just the loan process in general. And don't forget that it can help build his credit.

But I'd strongly advise him to go with something more tame for his first bike. There are plenty of good choices out there. The ex500 is great in my mind. It's faster than 99% of cars you see on the road, and it cruises comfortable on the highway. But if he wants something sportier/newer, a 650r will be plenty fast and pretty, while still keeping insurance rates relatively low.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:08:24 PM by njd » Logged

V
njd

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 Versys
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »

I just did a quick quote with progressive on an r6. Again, I'm a 21 year old male. I live in NJ, and I've had ZERO accidents.

My little Ninja 500 costs about $450/yr to insure with progressive.

The R6? Oh just "$4,022.00"

Lol

V
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal