Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 BMW R1150GS, 2001 BMW F650GS
GPS: Fort Collins, Colorado
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Rode Worthy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 11:33:18 pm »

I just bought the Garmin 276C.  Bigok Check out the screen size comparo at http://www.gpscity.com/compare-automotive-gps-screens.htm. It has the largest screen size of almost all of the units and is a highly rated, daylight readable screen. I've been using a little Etrex Vista on my F650GS and have gotten a lot of use out of it but that tiny screen is one of the reasons for going to the 276C, not to mention it has a ton of features, has a rechargeable lithium battery so you can pull it off the bike and take it into the motel/restaurant to work on your routes and waypoints, etc. There is a $100 Garmin rebate for purchases until 12/31/06. Like others have pointed out, there seems to be a trend to "dumb down" the user interface which is fine, if you have never used a GPS. If you have and you are used to having some of the nifty features like lots of tracks to save, reversible tracks, etc. you don't want to do without them. If you are not familiar with those features, you won't know what you're missing.  Headscratch

Got what seems to be the best price at GPSonsale.com, $549.99. Worst part though it that it is winter  Thumbsdown
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

bramfrank
Gadgethound Extraordinaire

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '06 FJR1300A, '81 KZ550LTD
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 08:35:23 pm »

Here is a link to a chart of the various bike-appropriate current Garmin units on the market today.

This is a general guide for GPS selection.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:40:36 pm by bramfrank » Logged
Green01SprintST
I ride clean-up!

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
GPS: SoCal High Desert
Miles Typed: 563

My Photo Gallery

Grumpy Old Bastidge

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:49:46 pm »

If you go to http://www.woot.com/ right now they have what looks like a decent unit for a good price.  Good today, 12/21 till midnight only.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:52:00 pm by Green01SprintST » Logged

ST.n v1 Member Number 438  Cool

There are not enough nipples
Advertisement

slowduc

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Duc M750Sie
GPS: bawlmer, merlin
Miles Typed: 329

My Photo Gallery

rawr!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 10:24:44 am »

i know there used to be a lot of info out there, but since the great s-t.n crash of 06, there's not much to search yet.  i got some money for x-mas toward a gps unit so i'm finally ready to step into the gps light (i'm a cartographer, so you'd think i would have been one of the first people to buy one, huh Headscratch).  i've decided on the garmin vista cx to be used on the bike, in the car, and for other outdoor activities.  several questions:

1) should i just get the regular cigarette lighter adapter and then an adapter to connect the cig lighter plug to my battery tender tether?  how are you all hard-wiring these into your bikes?

2) garmin offers their "blueline" (?) basemap and waypoint manager software.  is there better/cheaper software out there?

3) is the standard memory (64 meg) going to be enough to keep at least my region stored on the unit, or will i need to upgrade to do even basic stuff?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal