Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: a little two stroke help please  (Read 2081 times)

karlfitt

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW R 1100 S, 2016 R 1200 RS, 2001 Kawasaki KLX 300, 2004 KTM 400 RXC, 1999 Ducati 900 SS
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 399

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:00 pm »

OK,

This will be a little long because I am going to describe the issue I am trying to chase down on my sons KX-60

Took him riding on saturday, about 20 minutes into the day it just quit running.
I got it restarted once before pushing it back to the truck for a look.

Pulled the plug and it was black, checked for spark and it seems non existant. I removed the kill switch from the bars and it seemed to now spark, but a very weak one.

I pulled the carb and looked, thinking I would find that the main jet had vibrated off and this would be the cause of the over fueling (black plug) but no.

It started to rain and since we were down one bike I packed it all up and we went home (my daughter was along as well, but two bikes and three rides don't work)

Yesterday I tore into it. New plug, reset the float level in the carb. I got it to start, but it did not sound right. It sounded like the expansion chamber had split.

I pulled the chamber off, it looks good.
So I went digging for what else may be wrong.
Reeds look good.
I pulled the head, cylander walls are perfect, not a scratch or a gouge. Top of the piston looks perfect too.

I have not pulled the barrel yet, I am waiting to hear some ideas first as well as the gaskets I now have ordered to show up.

It looks like classic over fueling based on the plug and the motor's reluctance to pull.

But carb has not changed, the bike ran this way all last year. So what caused it to suddly overfuel?

I am wondering if maybe the coil is going bad or the stator? Don't know. I have never had an issue like tis before, I am hopeing someone else has and they can stear me in the right direction.
The other thing that has me baffled is the change in sound, definatly not good in my ears (this is why I pulled the head)

Thanks in advance for any help, I am out of town as I write this so friday is the next day I can put my hands on the bike (and hopefully the gaskets will have arrived by then)

Karl

<P>
"Loud Clutches save lives"
http://karlsgarage.com/pictures/states.jpg
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

sprocket
aka "fjrrider"

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR 1300, 07 Honda CRF450X, 05 CR250R, 03 CRF450R, 01 KTM 250 EXC, Honda 1975 MT 125 Elsinore (work in progress)
GPS: Texarkana, Texas
Miles Typed: 413

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:58 pm »

I think you covered it pretty good. I'll just speek for myself, but you probbaly need advise you may not get here.

Two stokes "typically" are easy If its gettin fuel and theres fire, it has no choice but to run. Good Luck!
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »

FYI-my kid had a CR80 that did the same thing. I did all the stuff you did, plus put a stator in it. Finally surrendered and took it to the dealer who found a tiny chip on a reed that I discounted as normal wear and tear. New reeds=ran like a champ.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Advertisement

shiney

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '94 Concours '93 ST1100
Miles Typed: 82

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »

The lower (crank) pin bearing on my son's CR80 went just bad enough to do the same thing. It had been thrashed though.
robrm250

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: VFR1200f,09KTM300XC,06cr250r
Miles Typed: 130

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:11:40 pm »

how long has it been since you've repacked the silencer.
phaze5

Reputation -8

Motorcycles: 99 750 nighthawk and a 2000 triumph rs 955i
GPS: upstate ny
Miles Typed: 616

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:03 am »

lucky for you its a 2 smoke,

i remember when i was 18, i got a 250r and i took it apart on the dock, i was having a hell of a time with the binger clips on it, i finally got herback together and she fired first kick,

stay at it and watch for the binger clips, they can frustrate the hell out of ya,

whats a binger clip ya ask, its one of those little clips that go biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing when ya take them off, and in my case splashed down in the river, hahaha
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:52:02 am »

Well? Ya got her barkin' yet???

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:36 am »

how long has it been since you've repacked the silencer.

+1 check that along with new reeds and spark plug cap. One of the three should fix it.  good luck

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal