Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tire repair kit  (Read 4842 times)

wonderings

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 263

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:52:35 am »

I want to buy a tire repair kit. The more compact the better. Any kits you recommend and where online can I buy it? I am in Canada. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

2002 Honda Hornet (CB919)
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:42:26 am »

Haven't checked online for one but I found mine at a local bike shop and have used it twice with success.  Its a Genuine Innovations repair kit.  Works very well.

Ride em if ya got em...
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2867

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:17:50 pm »

Two main schools of thought, one is the CO2 inflator school, and one is the air pump school.  No one wants a lot of weight or bulk, so we're all with you on that.  I like the idea of the CO2, but I have gone to the air pump side, finding a small pump and then stripping it of al non-essential plastic crap.
Advertisement

TRaGiK

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2002 FZ1
GPS: Central NC
Miles Typed: 621

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 07:36:08 pm »

I use this kit:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/tragik53/flattirekitr002.jpg

I read somewhere (on their website maybe???) that it'll inflate a 180 tire to 30 psi with the 2 include 45 gram co2 containers. Not "enough", but enough to get me to a gas station to put a few more pounds in it. I haven't tried it yet (and I hope I never do...knock on wood), but it's compact enough for me. I also purchased another 2 pack of the cylinders in case I get 2 flats on the same adventure. Smile

Packs up to roughly 4" by 6" by 1.5". Was purchased from the local Cycle Gear, but can likely be bought online as well.
IrishFazerBoy

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 82R65LS & 05FZ1
GPS: Long Island, NY
Miles Typed: 191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 09:59:37 pm »

Anyone use a pump.   I was considering www.cyclepumps.com but at $100 I'd sure like a few recommendations or alternatives.

IrishFazerBoy

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 82R65LS & 05FZ1
GPS: Long Island, NY
Miles Typed: 191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:05:43 pm »

ooh look at that!   I was refering to www.cyclepump.com.

The link www.cyclepumps.com also has kits which seem much more reasonable.

I thought these things would be cheaper, but i guess thats inflation for you.   Lol
stefrrr

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:24:13 pm »

I pieced mine together - I don't remember where I got the inflater, but the air cartridges you can get on the cheap in the paintball department of kmart or whatever. Then just find yourself a good quality patch kit & voila! Instant tire kit for less than $30.  
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:45:38 pm »

Anyone use a pump.   I was considering www.cyclepumps.com but at $100 I'd sure like a few recommendations or alternatives.

I have one of these at one third the price ($35 plus $5 shipping):   http://www.motopumps.com

PLUS, there appears to be some kind of $15 rebate from Paypal if you buy one before the end of the month!

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 10:54:19 pm »

If you are willing to put in a little time, you can search ADVrider.com and find that there are several tire pump discussions there.  One of the most important was one where the "Cyclepump" unit was dissected and the innards were the same as a Wal-mart $15 pump.  That is why I bought one at Harbor Freight and whittled down all the plastic.  I DO need to test it and see how long it will take to pump a tire.  Maybe tomorrow I can do that, since it will be nice.  

Garry's link is good, and $20 for that kit is a great deal.
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:05:59 pm »

Well, I tested my cheapest-on-the-shelf Harbor Freight pump this afternoon and I'm glad I never had a flat.  Honestly, I was concerned about the little guy since I first put electricity to it and its feeble breath could barely be felt on my thumb.  Well, it was cheap, and that's true in both senses.  I'm off to purchase that kit that Garry posted.  Will test ASAP.

Update, you apparently have to receive a Paypal invitation before you can get the $15 off.  I called MotoEssentials and he doesn't know how to get that done.  

So, Garry, does the pump work well?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:17:11 pm by servicerifle » Logged
ksann
Super Moderator

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: R12ST
GPS: 49 hours from Jacksonville
Miles Typed: 8389

My Photo Gallery

You are missed my friend. RIP

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 11:19:45 pm »

Well, I tested my cheapest-on-the-shelf Harbor Freight pump this afternoon and I'm glad I never had a flat.  Honestly, I was concerned about the little guy since I first put electricity to it and its feeble breath could barely be felt on my thumb.  
I too disected one of those walmart pumps, and have used it to add some air, once form a very low pressure, it is slow, it is noisy, but it does work.

The Guzzi as the perfect spot for it. The BMW does not, so it carries a CO2 kit.

ken

Proud, & Pretty, father of the worlds most beautiful little girl. The bestest one!
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 11:26:17 pm »

Update, Garry tested his Motoessentials.com pump for me and it worked well.
R.Markus

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

I just carry spare tubes and a walmart pump. The pump is slow, but it does the job.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 07:12:02 am »

So, Garry, does the pump work well?

I completely deflated the rear tire on my Wee Strom and re-inflated it back to 36 psi with the MotoPumps pump. A bit slow and noisy, but it got the job done. I stopped a few times along the way to check the pressure. The pump was getting warm by the time it was done. There are exposed spinning parts to watch out for, so don't let cords or loose clothing get in the way. I had to hold it by the air hose and let it dangle while running. I got mine with a Battery Tender (SAE) connector on it for easy hook-up to the my permanantly installed BT lead. Worked great.

Aside from fixing flats, my plan is to lower the air pressure in the Wee Strom tires to mid-20s when riding on dirt roads, then use the pump to get back to mid-30s for riding on pavement. I think I'm going to buy a second one for use with the Ninja bike. It's larger than my Stop-and-Go kit (same width, 2" taller), but I like the air pump better than CO2 cartridges.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Bandera
~~~~~~~~~

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 5th Gen VFR
GPS: Republic of Texas
Miles Typed: 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:21:59 am »

wonderings,

I replaced the 'stripped down' 12V mini compressor that I've carried for years with an nicely packaged, compact and more reliable design by Slime. For ~$30 it does the job in my test and will likely survive being packed in a sidecase with a Stop n Go tire plug kit, First Aid kit and other stuff that I hope I never have to use but take on every ride.

Regards,

Bandera  

Mmmm BBQ....
Fun Dog
Well alrighty then...

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '01 Aprilia Futura
GPS: Joja
Miles Typed: 451

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 01:40:12 pm »

wonderings,

I replaced the 'stripped down' 12V mini compressor that I've carried for years with an nicely packaged, compact and more reliable design by Slime. For ~$30 it does the job in my test and will likely survive being packed in a sidecase with a Stop n Go tire plug kit, First Aid kit and other stuff that I hope I never have to use but take on every ride.

Regards,

Bandera  

I second this pump.  Works great.  Haven't tried it in the field, but deflated my rear tire from 37 to 30 and it had it back up to pressure in a minute and a half.  And it plugs into the wires I have directly connected to the battery that I hook my battery charger to, so there was no extra wiring for me.

Torque equals horsepowa times the square root of your momma
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 05:10:12 am »

A group of friends are planning a NY State ride in June and need a tire repair kit for emergencies. When planning, we liked the idea of the all in one co2 kits but wanted to look elsewhere.  I have a tire repair kit (without the cartidges) already I use on the cages which we'll bring along.  
For the trip, I purchased a 12v compact pump.  Also, I have seen 12v all weather sockets that plug into trailer harnesses.  Since I have a battery tender cable on the battery, which is the same plug on the 12v sockets, I'll use that.  It might cost the same in the long run as the co2 kits but the pump can be used on any vehicle.

Also, I've seen people permanently mount a 12v socket on their bikes.  Check out here or the other forums (advrider.com) for this...

mastros2.wordpress.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal