Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere First Ride [motorcycle-usa.com]  (Read 18247 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:46 pm »

Um.... Moto-USA.com?

The reporter is a Brit, not a staff member. They buy articles from wherever.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

JamesG
Home again!

Reputation -66

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Columbus, GA
Miles Typed: 4912

My Photo Gallery

vroom.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:11:46 am »

Well then... they shouldn't because it makes me start jonesin' for this bike again.

JEZUS CHRIST ON A CRUTCH YAMAHA!!!  This is the only bike I would hock my Uly for and you won't bring it here. WTF!?!?!? Angry3

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 02:13:07 am »

Well then... they shouldn't because it makes me start jonesin' for this bike again.

JEZUS CHRIST ON A CRUTCH YAMAHA!!!  This is the only bike I would hock my Uly for and you won't bring it here. WTF!?!?!? Angry3

Find the Yamaha USA email address and start a mail campaign.

20 years ago, hell, even 30 years ago, Yamaha has tried to introduce innovative motorcycles to the US market and for various reasons failed miserably.

The 550 Vision (they even painted it in John Player Special colors with a full fairing), the XJ650 Seca (a shaft driven beauty), an XJ900 Seca (a bored and stroked 650 with a great half fairing), the original TDM850 (the Tedium) and nobody listened with their pocketbooks or loan officers. Those bikes didn't even get to languish on showroom floors. They sat in crates in Long Beach.

The FJR was never planned to be sold in the American market, yet an email campaign convinced them that maybe there's a market for such a bike.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 11:53:11 am »

This is the only bike I would hock my Uly for and you won't bring it here. WTF!?!?!? Angry3

Serious question.  What is it that you like about this Yam?  Every test I've read about it slams it.  It came last in the MCN test comparo against the KTM 990, BMW GS and Duc MS12.

JamesG
Home again!

Reputation -66

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Columbus, GA
Miles Typed: 4912

My Photo Gallery

vroom.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:26 pm »

Serious question.  What is it that you like about this Yam?  Every test I've read about it slams it.  It came last in the MCN test comparo against the KTM 990, BMW GS and Duc MS12.

KTM = Too dirt bike

BMW = Too titanic

MTS12 = Too fruf-fru/expensive/streety

Tiger = same as above only not as much.

The only things I don't like about my Uly is lack of OR tire/wheels, it could use a fairing, and of course the heat can be annoying.  I don't care if this Yamaha isn't the most powerful, lighest, etc. etc. It does what I want in a package that I can stand to look at.
Davy F.
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
GPS: Northern Ireland
Miles Typed: 170

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 05:30:50 am »

This is the only bike I would hock my Uly for and you won't bring it here. WTF!?!?!? Angry3

Well then, would it annoy you even more for me to tell you that I have had the new Super Tenere out for a nice 100+ mile demo ride ?  Bigsmile

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast !
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 06:54:33 am »

...20 years ago, hell, even 30 years ago, Yamaha has tried to introduce innovative motorcycles to the US market and for various reasons failed miserably.

The 550 Vision (they even painted it in John Player Special colors with a full fairing), the XJ650 Seca (a shaft driven beauty), an XJ900 Seca (a bored and stroked 650 with a great half fairing), the original TDM850 (the Tedium) and nobody listened with their pocketbooks or loan officers. Those bikes didn't even get to languish on showroom floors. They sat in crates in Long Beach.

The FJR was never planned to be sold in the American market, yet an email campaign convinced them that maybe there's a market for such a bike.

Yeah you missed one, there's a reason the FJR was never planned to be sold in the American market, the reason is called GTS-1000. This was the super high-tech bike of the early 90's , but the hub-center steering, and 14k price tag threw everyone but a few for a loop. I would argue that the GTS was a better machine for the ST market than BMW's offerings at the time. But I have no clue about BMW's offerings at the time... so maybe I'm wrong.   Embarassment  Lol  

Any-case , for sure they were right in the same price range and the end result was nobody wanted to pay BMW prices for a Japanese bike...even though the 'tech' may have been way ahead of BMW at the time.

It's nice to see that Yamaha has corrected the error of their ways. Of course it stands to reason, if you can't sell a 'better bike' for the same amount of money, you should be able to sell a lesser bike for a greater amount of money...  ???  

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »

Of course it stands to reason, if you can't sell a 'better bike' for the same amount of money, you should be able to sell a lesser bike for a greater amount of money...  ???  

This ties in nicely with the investment strategy of buy high, sell low...

Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9065

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 01:42:16 am »

I kind of like it, but not sure what I would do with it. I spend most of my days in 4 wheel drive on oil lease roads, so have no urge to eat even more dirt on my days off.

Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »

I can't see it being competitive here if it's priced the same as in Europe.

Local dealer has one, $16,500 for the one without bags (is there a bagged model?).

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 05:21:26 pm »

Local dealer has one, $16,500 for the one without bags (is there a bagged model?).

Boxes, not bags.  The Yamaha website lits the Acessory Packages (see link).  MSRP is $13,900 (Impact Blue) Priority Delivery Program - Delivery begins May 2011 and $13,900 (Raven) Priority Delivery Program - Delivery begins May 2011

Edited to add the prices of the Accessory Packages :
X-Country Terrain $749.85
Comfort & Convenience $1,019.75
Adventure Touring $1,519.60

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/super_tenere/tenere_accessories.aspx
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:38:58 pm by motormike » Logged
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 07:08:02 pm »

Nice pic, what did you think of the bike?  Worth that sort of price point?
sprale

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 Ninjette, 05 Vee
GPS: Republic of Texas
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 01:30:14 pm »

After pining after a Vee for some time, I picked up a used K5. I love it. It's the ugliest bike on the road. The Tenere? Kinda ugly, but I never thought a GS (anything past the R100GS) was pretty. In a bike, I'm usually after beauty or reliability, but they never seem to come together on the same bike.

Dead-thread Necromancer!

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 | ZG250 Quarter-Concours 05 Suzuki V-Strom | [URL=http://moto.dark-woods.net/moto/Vee
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:41 pm »

I used to really want a Tenere back when I had my KLR.  Not so much anymore.

But why are they showing this bike parked in the sand with giant dunes behind it and only street tires on the bike?  = FAIL

Because they're targeting GS riders  Bigsmile
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

Does that mean they're selling it over MSRP or -- I guess -- that's what you're up to after dealer prep charges?

By the way, I think I was dead wrong about it being uncompetitive with the GS up in this price range. It looks like a whole group of folks on fjrforum -- including at least one GS owner -- have plopped down the cash for the PDP. There's already chatter about a Super Tenere rally next fall. I guess they're finding a market.  

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »

That price likely includes some of the accessory packages.  See Motormikes post above for prices to add to the $13900 base price.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal