Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: KLR is a fun bike  (Read 4991 times)

scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8804

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

Turns out you can do a little off-roading on LI. Bigsmile  I went out in the heat for several hours and explored.  Train tracks, electric lines, state parks and the outskirts of a gun club.  It was a little disconcerting trekking through the woods and hearing gun shots. Crazy

This is my nemisis.  I dropped the bike my first two attempts but made it over two additional times, so I'm batting .500. Bigsmile  The approach is 90 degrees with no clearance and it's surrounded by soft, mushy earth.

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »

some more...

This is a unique site to LI.  Pine Barrens.  The minature pines grow on sand dunes.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '05 KLR 650, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R125, '06 TT-R 230
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1259

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »

I dropped the bike my first two attempts but made it over two additional times, so I'm batting .500. Bigsmile  The approach is 90 degrees with no clearance and it's surrounded by soft, mushy earth.

The KLR can do a remarkable impression of a top-heavy pig - but it sure is fun Bigsmile

Glad you're enjoying it!!! Bigok

KLRchickie

http://rockymountainmotards.com, Supermoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!! http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/
Advertisement

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »

Even more...

bubba zanetti
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge- RIP 09 Triumph Sprint ST 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 62

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6450

My Photo Gallery

Easy. I know what I'm doing… kinda ...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »

It is a very fun machine indeedy.  Bigok

Ditch those stock Dunlops for even some cheap Kenda's and you will enjoy your off road experience even more. Much more confidence inspiring than, what I found to be, very slippery OEM tires.

DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 105

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10050

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »

I'm glad you have moved from almost crashing to actual crashing.   Bigok

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

I'm sticking with the OEM tires for now for a few reasons.
First, LI is all sand-deep sand- and anything short of Knobbies suck in sand.  Picture riding a motorcycle in deep beach sand. Wink  I'm still going slow because pretty much everywhere i've been riding is illegal so it's wise not to draw too much attention.  Plus, I don't have the balls to ride through the deep shit at 40+ mph. Bigsmile
Most of my riding will be on the street.  I have to ride over a hundred miles just to get to extensive trails in Connecticut and Mass, so I need a streetable tire.
The bike came with street oriented Avons and gnarly/knobbie looking Pirelli's so I will have a choice in the near future.

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »

I'm glad you have moved from almost crashing to actual crashing.   Bigok

Ha!  The sloppy clutch got me.  I was up on the pegs feeding in throttle and the fucking bike wouldn't move.  Boom. Lol  Thankfully it's been so dry here I didn't fall in to a stagnant swamp.  My biggest challenge right now is keeping the bike upright when you hit the deep sand at speed.  Ive tried backing off, standing on the pegs and gassing it.  All at the same time. Rolleyes  The front just plows into the sand and i've almost lost it a few times.  Pretty slow so no big deal.  It's dirt, which is the gay man's version of asphalt. Lol    

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 53

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14799

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:52 PM »

My biggest challenge right now is keeping the bike upright when you hit the deep sand at speed.  Ive tried backing off, standing on the pegs and gassing it.  All at the same time. Rolleyes  The front just plows into the sand and i've almost lost it a few times.  

The key is to stand up, put your weight waaaay back over the rear tire and keep on the gas  Thumbsup  

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:02 PM »

The key is to stand up, put your weight waaaay back over the rear tire and keep on the gas  Thumbsup  

You better not be bullshitting me. Lol  Oddly, my instincts are to get more weight over the fron and remain seated.  I blew that one, huh?  Lol At least I have the "Gas it" part right.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »

You better not be bullshitting me. Lol  Oddly, my instincts are to get more weight over the fron and remain seated.  I blew that one, huh?  Lol At least I have the "Gas it" part right.

LOL - the thought never occurred to me, in all honestly  Lol  Nope, get the weight off the front wheel, keep your arms loosey-goosey and just let that front wheel float over the sand. In theory, that's how it works. In practice... well, it takes practice  Bigsmile

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
bubba zanetti
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge- RIP 09 Triumph Sprint ST 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 62

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6450

My Photo Gallery

Easy. I know what I'm doing… kinda ...

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »

Yep ... in sand stand, little to no input on the bars and steer with your feet and ignore those seriously disturbing handlebar gyrations ...  Lol ... easier said than done but it does work.

scottzilla

Reputation -56

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »

OK, I should have this down in the next day or too.  Next week: Backflips. Smile

alphabet man
2014 1190 KTM Adventure

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2407

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »

OOPs I read on because I thought the title was "KLR's are funny bikes"  Razz

No actualy Bubba is right stand in the sand, and ski with the pegs is the advice I got from a resident expert in Moab when seeking  help, after a day in the deep sand of Utah
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:15:12 PM by alphabet man » Logged

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Seek Adventure!
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

You better not be bullshitting me.

Yeah, that never happens here!  Glad you're having fun.  I'm always shopping for a 250 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

Just remember, when you have an oh crap moment in the dirt just give it more gas.  Oh and WHATEVER you do, don't ever go slow and or stop in deep mud because your bike may dig itself down up to its muffler in the mud and four guy will need to have to help you get it out, after which you will need to have them laugh at you, take pictures and make you drive home and then buy them beers.

Just saying all that might happen.

And everyone else is right, the biggest challenge I had to over come was learning to stand on the pegs and move the bike under me with my feet and arms, very different than street riding.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »

One way to help mentally overcome the Why of 'standing on pegs' part is to remember that when you're up on the pegs, your center of gravity is now waaaaay down there at foot-level, rather than a 1'-2' higher if you were sitting on the seat.

I don't like standing on the pegs because when I look down from that height it's just that much further that I have to fall  Lol

Member since 2003
Bowtie76

Reputation 12

GPS: Charlottesville VA
Miles Typed: 421

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »

remember that when you're up on the pegs, your center of gravity is now waaaaay down there at foot-level, rather than a 1'-2' higher if you were sitting on the seat.

Uhm NO.  Standing raises your center of gravity, you might be applyin torque at a lower contact point point (feet), then when sitting (butt), but raise your body, raise center of gravity.

Your so far outside the "box" you can see Uranus.

If anything ever happens to me don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »

What helped me with standing on the pegs a lot was getting a small set of risers for my bars, just a 1 inch lift made a huge difference.  Also adding a set of IMS wide footpegs helped a ton too.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »

Uhm NO.  Standing raises your center of gravity, you might be applyin torque at a lower contact point point (feet), then when sitting (butt), but raise your body, raise center of gravity.

Well, that's the way it was explained to me by many a more proficient rider, and it worked for me Shrug  Although I can see your point  Cool

Member since 2003
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal