Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Question for French and Spanish riders  (Read 948 times)

FJR-UK
semi-retired STNer

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 2010 FJR1300
GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 547

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:59:12 AM »

I'm planning a three-week September trip along the Bay of Biscay (Saint-Malo, Quimper, La Rochelle, San Sebastian, Las Arenas de Cabrales, Oviedo, A Coruña, Léon, Haro, Saint-Émilion, Amboise, Chartres). What is the law these days concerning: Spare light bulbs? Visibility vests? Warning triangles? Or do these things just apply to car drivers?

Any other things I should be aware of? Any tips for the trip?

Cheers!  Bigok
Gaw

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: CBR600F4I
GPS: SPAIN
Miles Typed: 137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:12 AM »

Hi,

From the beginning of 2010 on, spare Light bulbs are not longer needed in Spain.
Visibility vest and warning triangles only for cars

Don't forget rain clothes, north of Spain is usually rainy and take care with cattle in minor roads

There are several beautiful places in this area, how many days in Spain are you planning?
If you need more detail info about routes and interesting places don't hesitate asking me.

Ah! If you have time, you could come to Madrid, after riding in the mountains we will have the wine and pimientos del pardon tapa that I offered you time ago Beerchug

Bye!
FJR-UK
semi-retired STNer

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »

Thanks for the reply and I have not forgotten the offer!  Smile

I've been planning this trip for a couple months with the help of Google maps and ViaMichelin. Normally, I try to arrive in a town by 5 pm, then find a place to stay. For the first time I am planning every day of the trip and reserving hotel rooms in advance. I have print outs of Google maps to show me exactly how to arrive at each hotel. This is going to be either a great time saver or a total disaster if my schedule gets messed up for any reason.

That's a long way of saying that we will be no where near Madrid! Oviedo (3 nights) Léon (1) and Haro (1) are the closest we'll be. 12 nights in Spain and 9 in France. I am really looking forward to this trip.

I've discovered how to eat percebes, so will try them for the first time in A Coruña as well as the pimientos de Padron. Maybe even a sea urchin in San Sebastian. Certainly fabada, sidra y queso de Cabrales in the Picos.

As you say, I'll be keeping an eye out for the cows, sheep and goats – on the road and on my plate!  Lol
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:48:55 AM by FJR-UK » Logged
birdrunner

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4535

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »

As you say, I'll be keeping an eye out for the cows, sheep and goats – on the road and on my plate!  Lol

The sheep will be warned you are on the way. Inlove

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Gaw

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »

More tips:

Close to Haro there are beautiful towns such as: LaGuardia, ElCiego, Labastida. In Briones there is a nice museum dedicated to the wine

In Cantabria try to visit: Santillana de Mar, Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera

In Asturias there are really nice roads in Picos de Europa and beautiful towns: Llanes, Cudillero.....

My opinion 3 nights in Oviedo it’s too much time for visiting the city, unless you have decided this city as base camp for riding around the area

If you have time in Galicia visit Rias Bajas or Islas Cies, you would really like it
dtor

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 Monster S4, '12 Vespa GTV300
GPS: Afton VA
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »

There's a very charming little town in inland Bretagne called Huelgoat. It has a nice 2 star Logis hotel (Hotel du Lac) which, like it says, is on a pretty little lake, and there's a locally brewed version of a Guinness type stout that is excellent. It's called something Du, du being Breton for black.

IBA# 3120
FJR-UK
semi-retired STNer

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »

My opinion 3 nights in Oviedo it’s too much time for visiting the city

It's a base camp. I've been to most of the coastal villages, but never been to Oviedo. I have plans for visiting the coast that depend on the weather.

Thanks for the tips on Haro. I will investigate those places a bit closer to see if a night in Elciego or the other two towns would be better than a night in Haro. I can still change my hotel reservation!

Huelgoat is also marked on my map now. Thanks.
Gaw

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:44 AM »

Hi FJR,

I sent you a message with some nice places for eating

Enjoy it!
FJR-UK
semi-retired STNer

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »

Thanks Gaw!

Since your comments on La Rioja, I've done more reading. I've decided to stay the night in Logroño instead of Haro, mainly for the nightlife and the Calle Laurel tapas crawl, La Senda de los Elephantes. We'll be coming down out of the mountains to the southwest of Logroño (Sierra de Cebollera), so I don't know if we'll have time to visit the villages you listed. They sound wonderful. The random breath tests along the wine route sounds a bit risky though!

Cheers!
Gaw

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »

Yes, it's not easy to make compatible rioja wine routes with motorbike... Bigok

Before going to calle Laurel, make a stop in Tourism office (at the beginning of the General Vara de Rey Street) and ask for a "Laurel Street tapas book", they will give a book with the tapas offering in each bar (every bar has one tapa specialty) and you can choose previously what bar do you want to go.

Another alternative it's crossing Sierra de la Demanda and after, if you have time, heading to Cañon del Rio Lobos ,have a look on the web, there are really beautiful roads in this area

Maybe I'm misleading you with so much info  Razz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal