Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ducati Multistrada – The End of Sportbiking As We Know It [OWD.net]  (Read 10640 times)

UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13101

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« on: August 07, 2010, 12:10:53 AM »

Even dead dog sick, I am faster on the Multistrada than on any sport bike I’ve road tested. That conclusion might be different on a track where you can revel in a litre bike’s ability. But in the real world, on imperfect roads and under the command of a mortal rider the sportbike has just been made obsolete, by a bike that gives you it all… almost.

Reviewing the MTS1200 is akin to writing a review of four different bikes, each with a glossy brochure load of marketing hype to live up to. Great, thanks Ducati, I needed to write four small stories.   Putting more of an onus on the Multistrada 1200 S, I bonded with the previous generation (the 1100S) over the course of a cross-Canada adventure where the outgoing model proved itself more capable, durable and reliable than ever expected. The new Multistrada 1200 though, from its two flared-nostril air intakes on back, has nothing in common with the air-cooled 1100. Driving that home is the whir of servos and the lightshow on the dash as I hit the keyless ignition button, and head home across town.

Read the entire review here:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/07/19/ducati-multistrada-1200s-review-i-%E2%80%93-the-end-of-sportbiking-as-we-know-it/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:16:34 AM by UFO » Logged

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:20:02 AM »

Gotta love OWD.  The best thing to come out of Canada since the Red Green Show.  

I would love to have a 1200s, but 20K isn't exactly chump change.  

P.S.  Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that 2 out of the last 3 stories our glorious leader put on the front page have been singing the praises of his new bike?  
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2819

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »

...P.S.  Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that 2 out of the last 3 stories our glorious leader put on the front page have been singing the praises of his new bike?  

Personally, I kinda like the trend...    

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11632

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »

This really seems like a great bike.  I just wish there would be more articles comparing to a Tiger than a GS.  An off-road bike this is not.  
KKop

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: R1200 GS Adventure
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:50 AM »

Nice bike... for a midget.  

Sat on it (saddle in high position) at dealer.  Won't be trading my BMW anytime soon.  Felt like going back to the ZRX I had before: awesome engine, but lousy ergonomics (think 'dog humping football')

Good to see more competition though.  Now if only Yamaha would bring the Tenere to the US, maybe BMW would work a little harder for their customers.

... I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that
spd2918

Reputation -400

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4223

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »

Why not compare it to the VStrom or Versys?  These, too, are segment busting bikes that challenge Sport bike popularity.

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: FZ6
GPS: Minnyhappiness
Miles Typed: 486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »

Why can't we have the bells and whistles in a true sport-touring package, rather than a faux-enduro? I can't get comfortable sitting straight up on my bum, and all the handguards and styling BS looks hugely contrived.

Boo.

Lol
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »

Why not compare it to the VStrom or Versys?  These, too, are segment busting bikes that challenge Sport bike popularity.

Yeah, I own a V-Strom 1000 as well, and really there is no comparison. Compare it to a Versys?  Lol

Pshrynk

Reputation 1

GPS: Calgary
Miles Typed: 121

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »

Why can't we have the bells and whistles in a true sport-touring package, rather than a faux-enduro? I can't get comfortable sitting straight up on my bum, and all the handguards and styling BS looks hugely contrived.

Boo.

Lol

I have the faux enduro Tiger 1050 -- actually I love the handguards.  Keeps hands dryer, warmer and gives new places to place/stretch your fingers and wrists on a long ride.  

Different strokes for diffferent folks....  
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11632

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

Yeah, I own a V-Strom 1000 as well, and really there is no comparison. Compare it to a Versys?  Lol

Lol

spd2918 does make a good point.  Just compare the bike to other more street oriented "adventure" bikes (Tiger, Strom, Versys, etc...)?  I suppose that since the GS is considered the benchmark standard of the adventure bike genre given its sales history, I do understand the comparison.  But, as OWD pointed out, the Multi is more like a Porsche Cayenne compared to the "Land Rover" GS. **

I have to admit, now that I have a hard core dual sport in the garage (i.e. 530 EXC), if I were in the market now to replace the 990 Adventure the new Multi would be at the top of the list.  

** FWIW... Unlike the analogy used by OWD, I see the GS as more like a Range Rover LR3 with the 990 Adventure more like the Range Rover Defender.  The 530EXC is more like a Baja Trophy Truck.   Lol
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »

I've ridden Vstroms (no Versys yet)...No offense, but there's no comparison between a light, 150 hp monster with traction control, slipper clutch, Ohlins (and a barrel full of other features) and a Vstrom/Versys.

What's the definition of "a true sport-touring package"?  It varies as widely as the wind.  The MTS seems about as close to fitting the mold as any bike:  light, powerful, comfortable, handles like a sportbike, integrated bags, heated grips, 12V accessory plugs, 200 mile range, etc.  Shrug

And it seems that the people who are confusing this bike as an enduro are completely focused on the wrong aspect of the bike.  It's no more an "enduro" than a GS or Tiger.  All of these bikes with the exception of true enduros (or perhaps the KTM) are all faux-"enduros."  Everyone knows it, even Ducati.  They've never labeled it an "enduro."  Their term for it is "road enduro" which is 100% accurate.  It's built for logging/fire/gravel roads.

PS  The handguards are for keeping your hands dry/warm on the highway...not for protecting you from smashing them in to a tree trunk as you pretend to squirt this bike through some remote forest trail like some people SEEM to think you're supposed to us it.  No. Lol

Neal
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7535

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »

Personally, I kinda like the trend...    

I agree.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

And it seems that the people who are confusing this bike as an enduro are completely focused on the wrong aspect of the bike.

People like to try to pick out the worse flaw and dog pile it.  The worse than choose is that bike isn't designed for anymore more than fire roads.  That's sings pretty high praises for the bike.  Lol
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »

Now if only Yamaha would bring the Tenere to the US, maybe BMW would work a little harder for their customers.

The big Tenere is a dud.

From the article:

Occasionally we dance around conclusions, but this one hit both Kevin and I over the head within 20 minutes in the seat. The Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring is the best roadbike we’ve ever tested.

Obviously they haven't ridden the Honda VFR1200.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:47:39 PM by atadaskew » Logged

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »

Obviously they haven't ridden the Honda VFR1200.

Lmao

Neal
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5761

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

No one has Bigsmile

In other Honda news, I saw a Deausville the other day!
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »

In other Honda news, I saw a Deauville the other day!

I'm sorry.

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5761

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

It's okay, I wasn't riding it.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »

It's okay, I wasn't riding it.

I'm just sorry you saw one.

stridervfr

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 VRF, 2004 R6 sold, 1992 Katana sold
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

The Ducati is a great bike but you can forget it taking over sportbikes.

1. PRICE- Most people can not afford it or justify spending that much on a bike.
2. It is not a mainstream design, many would not even consider it. Especially younger riders.
3. High maintainance costs and very few dealers to support the Bike.
4. People don't want to wait a month on parts to go riding again.

I am not a hater of the bike, in fact I love the Bike but there are pitfalls and I diffenitly doubt it will take much if anything out of the sportbike market.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »

1. PRICE- Most people can not afford it or justify spending that much on a bike.
2. It is not a mainstream design, many would not even consider it. Especially younger riders.

I am not a hater of the bike, in fact I love the Bike but there are pitfalls and I diffenitly doubt it will take much if anything out of the sportbike market.

1. People who can afford it do.  Look at how many have been sold on this site.  Look at how many people own bikes like top end BMWs, Harleys, Goldwings etc.  Bikes that can cost a lot more.
2. Mainstream designs are not the way to push new technology, make a splash on the scene.  Those mainstream designs are gathering dust on the showroom floors.
3. Major service at 15K miles. Few dealers - yes.  But I would rather own the best street bike ever made that has fewer dealers than own the bike equivalent of a Corolla because it is easy to get to a dealership.
4. Parts are ordered directly from Italy if they are not in stock, and arrive w/in the week.  My experience with the Ducatis I've owned.

Mr. Whippy

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »

1. People who can afford it do.  Look at how many have been sold on this site.  Look at how many people own bikes like top end BMWs, Harleys, Goldwings etc.  Bikes that can cost a lot more.
2. Mainstream designs are not the way to push new technology, make a splash on the scene.  Those mainstream designs are gathering dust on the showroom floors.
3. Major service at 15K miles. Few dealers - yes.  But I would rather own the best street bike ever made that has fewer dealers than own the bike equivalent of a Corolla because it is easy to get to a dealership.
4. Parts are ordered directly from Italy if they are not in stock, and arrive w/in the week.  My experience with the Ducatis I've owned.

Yes, true in my experience also.

As for service, I don't know about the new motor, but the 2V motor is dead easy to work on.  Removing the tank takes some time, but nothing is tricky or hard, just have to be careful to keep bolts, etc straight and not scratch it up.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the 4V motor.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »

Yes, true in my experience also.

Some people just don't realize that today's Ducati is not the Ducati of 20 years ago...

Want ease of service?  Try to figure out how to remove the bodywork on the VFR12.  And try to find a dealership that you can trust to work on it!  I live in LA and I do not know of any Japanese dealerships that I would trust service work to.  

Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13680

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

Great article.  Well written as usual for OWD.net.   Thumbsup

I agree that the Duc MTS12 is one of the best road going bikes on the market today.  I was very impressed with it's power and comfort during a test ride.  It felt very similar to my old Tiger 1050, but quite snappier.  I would be interested in a comparison review with the Tiger vs MTS12 vs the dark horse KTM SMT990.      

I'm not sure why Ducati went with the wider 190 rear tire over a 180.  That was very anti-enduro, and unusual for road motards too.
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

Great article.  Well written as usual for OWD.net.   Thumbsup 

I'm not sure why Ducati went with the wider 190 rear tire over a 180.  That was very anti-enduro, and unusual for road motards too.

How else are you going to get 150 HP and 87 foot lbs of torque to the asphalt?

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 11:36:01 PM »

But, but...it's obviously and ENDURO bike!!11!1one!1!

Neal
tdeboeser

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '03 ST1300
Miles Typed: 315

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:53 AM »

I agree.

I don't agree, it just reminds me that I don't have one... AND I REALLY WANT ONE!!!!!!

tom de

signature goes here
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13680

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »

Shrug  The BMW GS makes the same level of torque, only 40hp less, and uses a 150-section tire.  I didn't know it was a design necessity to have 190-wide tire for 150hp.

It goes to show that the "enduro" part of this bike needs to be in "quotes."
tdeboeser

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '03 ST1300
Miles Typed: 315

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »

only 40hp less,

ONLY!?!?  EEK!  40hp is more than "a lot".  Huge difference in power, especially when comparing bikes.

It goes to show that the "enduro" part of this bike needs to be in "quotes."

Agreed.  But I'd say the same for the ~500lb Beemer.  

Tom de

signature goes here
Emerson00
Untitled member

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2006 Ducati MTS 1000S (Black)
GPS: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Miles Typed: 506

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »

Parts have never once taken me more than 7 days to get. That's from my experience, not what I read once on an online forum.

There's things to like and things not to like; I doubt I'll buy one for a while - my '06 makes me happy enough.

I do love seeing all the widespread love Ducati's getting for it's ugly duckling. I still hear "oh the wierd looking one" when people ask what I ride and I have to explain... now the next generation which, to my eye, isn't quite right or quite traditional-Ducati enough is everyone's darling.

[edited to add:]
The black 1200S sure is starting to grow on me damn fast though!
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »

ONLY!?!?  EEK!  40hp is more than "a lot".  Huge difference in power, especially when comparing bikes.

Lol

That's a whole Honda Deauville less!

nater

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 731

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »

No one has Bigsmile

In other Honda news, I saw a Deausville the other day!

Did you have to avert your eyes and cringe?

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Espada

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Red
GPS: The PWC
Miles Typed: 311

My Photo Gallery

OOOOOH YEEEEAH!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »

1.  The Multistrada 1200S is offering something truly unique in the world of motorcycling.  Enough so that many people are going all in for the bike.  Myself included.  If some people cannot afford it, that is on them, not Ducati.  This motorcycle blends the practically of a sport-touring bike, and adds something to the mix that other ST bikes do not have in spades: fun – and lots of it.  Hell, that alone is almost worth the price of admission.  Besides, what’s an FJR going for these days?  MSRP is closer to $16,000, no; and for what?

2.  Absolutely not true.  I’m 29.  I love the bike’s design.  My wife is 29, she loves the bike’s design.  My little brother is 27, he loves the bike’s design.  I was in Old Town Alexandria, VA last night chilling out, and all sorts of people checked the bike out.  Thus far, it seems the majority of people who do not like the look of the bike are the established ST and ADV crowd.  Shit even high school girls think the Ducati is hot.  Heh, if I wanted to pick up anybody on my 2008 Concours 14  the only people I could choose from were middle aged men, and old men.  

3.  Actually, oil changes are 7,500 miles apart.  Valve services are 15,000 miles apart, and Ducati said they knocked 6 hours off that service.  In fact, I have a very strong suspicion that servicing my Ducati will be cheaper than servicing my 2008 Concours 14.  Hell the shop charges an hour for taking the fairings on and off that freaking bike.  Then there is actually getting to the valves.  It also swallows near as damnit 5 quarts of oil.  That’s more than my old Subaru.  Oh yeah, the valves were also 15,000 miles on the C-14.  Where’s the advantage?

4.  That might, or might not be true… only time will tell on that point.

Do I believe in the almighty?  Of course I do!  What can possibly be more more almighty than myself?

Yup, I am an alien in a space suit, riding a big red bird.  Blind faith is an ironic gif
Rabidsnipe

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: None
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »

Lol

That's a whole Honda Deauville less!

Maybe I missed your hatred of the Deauville.  How did this show up in this thread?

-Chase
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

Maybe I missed your hatred of the Deauville.  How did this show up in this thread?

Let me recap..

1/ Some dood mentioned the BMW GS makes only 40hp less than the Duc MS1200
b/ Some other dood then mentioned something to the effect of - 'only 40hp, dang that's a huge amount!'
iii/ I step in and say something to the effect of "that's like a whole Honda Deauville!"

Should I have used the term Dullsville instead?  Or used the DN-01 instead?

Oh yeah, Falconati, that rat bastard, brings up the Deauville on page one of this thread.
 Razz
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:27:49 PM by atadaskew » Logged

Galo
Non cogito, ergo zoom

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Yes
GPS: Just West of PDX
Miles Typed: 4586

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »

So.......I ran with GTS_Rider (Rick) and his Multistrada from Grand Coulie Dam to Castlegar a few weeks ago for the BBBBQ and I got to see this bike in action. I'm no slouch on my Sprint, and in the twisties, Rick would consistently inch away from me while at lower lean angles than me -and he was not hanging off the seat. In the short straights typical of canyon/back road carving, he would pull away from me like I was standing still.....

That Multistrada is truly one fast bike. Thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:26:57 PM by Galo » Logged

Not all who wander are lost....
JRR Tolkien
ZenOfZoom

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard / KTM 640 Adventure
Miles Typed: 42

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 01:11:47 AM »

Hi all,
Glad to see the article is stirring a bit of discussion.  Also I'm taking a few notes on what bikes people would like to see the new MTS 1200 compared to.  I really am grooving on the idea of a SMT 990, Tiger (new Tiger???) & MTS 1200 smack down.  I'm not sure including the GS would be fair in the context that it can really do a bit of off road.
Now I need to find a hotel sponsor in LA so we can write and maybe film that sort of epic.  It's near impossible to get all those bikes together simultaneously here in Vancouver.
Cheers,
Neil

Cheers,
Neil
Latest Videos
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:29 AM »

Hi all,
Glad to see the article is stirring a bit of discussion.  Also I'm taking a few notes on what bikes people would like to see the new MTS 1200 compared to.  I really am grooving on the idea of a SMT 990, Tiger (new Tiger???) & MTS 1200 smack down.  I'm not sure including the GS would be fair in the context that it can really do a bit of off road.
Now I need to find a hotel sponsor in LA so we can write and maybe film that sort of epic.  It's near impossible to get all those bikes together simultaneously here in Vancouver.
Cheers,
Neil

Yeah, I could supply the MTS 1200. You can't ride mine, but your welcome to chase on whatever sub-par bike you can scratch up.  Lol

Really, I think the 1050 Tiger is probably the nearest match that's not quite there...

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »

Also I'm taking a few notes on what bikes people would like to see the new MTS 1200 compared to.

I'm curious to see how it shapes up to my Vespa PX.  Let me know when you're in town.

Wink

Back on topic, there really isn't anything that compares to it.  Peeps mention the Triumph Tiger, KTM 990st but those bikes in comparos basically held their own or were slightly better than the old Duc MS1100.
The new one is so far ahead...

Brad1445
Brad to the Ley

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2008 Ducati HyperMotard - 2009 KTM 505 - 2009KLXSM - 2004 Buell Firebolt
GPS: Denver
Miles Typed: 2243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 06:57:47 PM »

Gotta love OWD.  The best thing to come out of Canada since the Red Green Show.  

I would love to have a 1200s, but 20K isn't exactly chump change.  

P.S.  Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that 2 out of the last 3 stories our glorious leader put on the front page have been singing the praises of his new bike?  

Thats all the Magazines are talking about too.  And all GOOD press.
That is rare Its a winner.

kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

It'll be the death of Ducati because of the hideous styling.

KeS
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

KeS

Lol Just like the GS series. Or maybe Vstroms. Yep Suzuki is dead. Oh and don't forget what killed Honda: Dullsville, Pacific Coast, Valkyrie Rune, DN-01. Almost all Moto Guzzi's  Lol I could go on.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »

Lol Lol Lol Lol

Neal
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »

LOL Nice!
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 104

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YZ250F/SM, DRZ400SM, YZF600, KTM450SMR
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10000

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »

Calling out ugly bikes on a Sport-Touring board? This thread could go on forever.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.

Espada

Reputation -2

My Photo Gallery

OOOOOH YEEEEAH!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 02:35:02 PM »

KeS

Says the guy riding the Buell 1125CR  Twofinger

Like I've mentioned earlier and elsewhere: the general consensus I have experienced with my bike is that people like the way it looks.

Do I believe in the almighty?  Of course I do!  What can possibly be more more almighty than myself?

Yup, I am an alien in a space suit, riding a big red bird.  Blind faith is an ironic gif
Brad1445
Brad to the Ley

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2008 Ducati HyperMotard - 2009 KTM 505 - 2009KLXSM - 2004 Buell Firebolt
GPS: Denver
Miles Typed: 2243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »

These dual purpose bikes are where sport touring is heading and this is apparently the leader by a long shot.  I could pass on the ant eater front, but when a Bike is so good little things like that means nothing.  ie: my busa is ugly but does its job well with no other flaws.  This Ducati will absolutely dominate.

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

Want.  Want lots.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Tar Snake
Lord of teh Typo!

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 1988 BMW K75s
GPS: Laguna Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4233

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »

So.......I ran with GTS_Rider (Rick) and his Multistrada from Grand Coulie Dam to Castlegar a few weeks ago for the BBBBQ and I got to see this bike in action. I'm no slouch on my Sprint, and in the twisties, Rick would consistently inch away from me while at lower lean angles than me -and he was not hanging off the seat. In the short straights typical of canyon/back road carving, he would pull away from me like I was standing still.....

That Multistrada is truly one fast bike. Thumbsup

I am NOT trying in any way to insult Galo's riding skills, but if Rick was on the Deauville or even the Vespa the post would end:

That Deauville is truly one fast bike. Thumbsup
That Vespa is truly one fast bike. Thumbsup

You can't really compare rick to a normal human being Lol

Go soothingly by

Chris  
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

I am NOT trying in any way to insult Galo's riding skills, but if Rick was on the Deauville or even the Vespa the post would end:

That is not a fair statement.  The same would be said about the Vespa no matter who is riding it.

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Having ridden with him... er... well behind him... erm, we were on the same roads in sequential order, with him on his 450 dualie and me on my 1200 Bandit, I can attest to this.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
freecatSV
Confusing the Youth of North Carolina

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '93 VX800, '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Sylva, NC
Miles Typed: 158

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »

It's a cutting-edge, extremely high-performance sportbike that happens to be comfortable and trip-worthy. Oh, and it's surely far better on real-world roads than most sportbikes. It wouldn't be my choice for the Trans-Labrador Highway, but I'm sure it could do that no problem.

It's really about money. There are a lot of less powerful, less sophisticated, but ergonomically similar (and equally trip-worthy) bikes that you can pick up used for a few grand. That leaves a lot of money for farkles, gas, road food, and B&Bs/motels/campground fees. If a potential GS buyer was looking for something faster, this is the bike. But all a potential KLR or V-Strom buyer (or satisfied owner) can think is: "Holy crap! 20 grand??????????"

Of course, I would love to ride one...

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death."
James F. Byrnes
 http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc131/freecat500/ALAZARCACOCT
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:09 PM »

I love the looks of the bike and I'm sure I would love riding it as well. Are you really faster on it? or does it just feel liek you are faster? I have a freind that I can't keep up with in the woods on his 300exc, but when he rides his 520exc I catch him all the time? Yet, he swears he is "way faster" on the 520 Headscratch

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »

Um who cares if you are faster or not on the bike?  Its a freaking street bike not a race bike.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010, 12:01:36 AM »

Um who cares if you are faster or not on the bike?  Its a freaking street bike not a race bike.

oh, yea...guess I'll get a ninja 250 Rolleyes

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:47 AM »

It's all subjective, but here's what I know.  Yes, it's a pretty damn fast/quick bike, and it's comfortable, and it's a wheelie monster...there's no clutching, or bar tugging, or using the front forks via decel/accel...just give the throttle a good twist in 1st or 2nd. Lol

Is it faster than a 600 on the street?  Depends on the riders involved and their respective levels of self preservation. Shrug

Neal
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:49 AM »

It's all subjective, but here's what I know.  Yes, it's a pretty damn fast/quick bike, and it's comfortable, and it's a wheelie monster...there's no clutching, or bar tugging, or using the front forks via decel/accel...just give the throttle a good twist in 1st or 2nd. Lol

Is it faster than a 600 on the street?  Depends on the riders involved and their respective levels of self preservation. Shrug

Sounds like a blast!! now, if I can just find some$$$ Smile

UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

In my initial impressions post after I had just picked it up I made a comment along the lines of:  I've not owned/ridden a bike that has allowed me to ride it this fast, this quickly in to ownership.

It's a bike to quickly become comfortable with riding fast.  Most likely related to the combination of relatively light weight, Ohlins, power/torque delivery, and riding position. Thumbsup

Neal
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »

oh, yea...guess I'll get a ninja 250 Rolleyes

That's what you deserve.   Lol
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »

UFO do you find that you have to give the bars some serious force to get it to stay in a turn sometimes?

I still need to setup my suspension as I suspect that has something to do with it.
Espada

Reputation -2

My Photo Gallery

OOOOOH YEEEEAH!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »

UFO do you find that you have to give the bars some serious force to get it to stay in a turn sometimes?

I still need to setup my suspension as I suspect that has something to do with it.

FWIW: I do not find that I have to keep applying pressure to the bars in order to keep a line through a corner.  Well, I can at least say that if I am, it certainly is not enough for me to warrant mental processing power towards it.  Also, it is certainly is NOTHING like my 2008 C-14.  Kinda of a, "Well no duh," thing, but I figured I'll throw it in there.

I had my service technician at the shop I go to dial up the front pre-load to more suit my ready to ride weight.  I think I want to dial it back just a bit though.  

UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2010, 11:32:13 PM »

No, nothing I would call "serious."  But keep in mind I came off of riding an FJR for 7 years. Lol  Nor is it a twitchy, razor sharp 600 supersport in the handling department.  Handles and tracks brilliantly through corners on the street.

Neal
JamesG
Home again!

Reputation -66

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Columbus, GA
Miles Typed: 4912

My Photo Gallery

vroom.

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

Its still ugly.  Razz
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »

It could also be that I'm running a tad low on the pressure up front but I find that sometimes I do have to give it a good yank to get it to turn.  I think it only happens in slow tight corners and when I'm still on the brakes. Smile
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »

So I just checked my front tire pressure...it was 28psi.   Lol

So I upped it to 32psi.  It should feel much better.   Bigok
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal