Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ducati Multistrada – The End of Sportbiking As We Know It [OWD.net]  (Read 10549 times)

UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13100

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« on: August 07, 2010, 12:10:53 AM »

Even dead dog sick, I am faster on the Multistrada than on any sport bike I’ve road tested. That conclusion might be different on a track where you can revel in a litre bike’s ability. But in the real world, on imperfect roads and under the command of a mortal rider the sportbike has just been made obsolete, by a bike that gives you it all… almost.

Reviewing the MTS1200 is akin to writing a review of four different bikes, each with a glossy brochure load of marketing hype to live up to. Great, thanks Ducati, I needed to write four small stories.   Putting more of an onus on the Multistrada 1200 S, I bonded with the previous generation (the 1100S) over the course of a cross-Canada adventure where the outgoing model proved itself more capable, durable and reliable than ever expected. The new Multistrada 1200 though, from its two flared-nostril air intakes on back, has nothing in common with the air-cooled 1100. Driving that home is the whir of servos and the lightshow on the dash as I hit the keyless ignition button, and head home across town.

Read the entire review here:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/07/19/ducati-multistrada-1200s-review-i-%E2%80%93-the-end-of-sportbiking-as-we-know-it/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:16:34 AM by UFO » Logged

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:20:02 AM »

Gotta love OWD.  The best thing to come out of Canada since the Red Green Show.  

I would love to have a 1200s, but 20K isn't exactly chump change.  

P.S.  Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that 2 out of the last 3 stories our glorious leader put on the front page have been singing the praises of his new bike?  
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2819

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »

...P.S.  Does anyone else think it may be more than a coincidence that 2 out of the last 3 stories our glorious leader put on the front page have been singing the praises of his new bike?  

Personally, I kinda like the trend...    

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11613

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »

This really seems like a great bike.  I just wish there would be more articles comparing to a Tiger than a GS.  An off-road bike this is not.  
KKop

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: R1200 GS Adventure
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:50 AM »

Nice bike... for a midget.  

Sat on it (saddle in high position) at dealer.  Won't be trading my BMW anytime soon.  Felt like going back to the ZRX I had before: awesome engine, but lousy ergonomics (think 'dog humping football')

Good to see more competition though.  Now if only Yamaha would bring the Tenere to the US, maybe BMW would work a little harder for their customers.

... I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that
spd2918

Reputation -400

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4223

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »

Why not compare it to the VStrom or Versys?  These, too, are segment busting bikes that challenge Sport bike popularity.

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
Grainbelt

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: FZ6
GPS: Minnyhappiness
Miles Typed: 486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »

Why can't we have the bells and whistles in a true sport-touring package, rather than a faux-enduro? I can't get comfortable sitting straight up on my bum, and all the handguards and styling BS looks hugely contrived.

Boo.

Lol
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2819

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »

Why not compare it to the VStrom or Versys?  These, too, are segment busting bikes that challenge Sport bike popularity.

Yeah, I own a V-Strom 1000 as well, and really there is no comparison. Compare it to a Versys?  Lol

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
Pshrynk

Reputation 1

GPS: Calgary
Miles Typed: 121

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »

Why can't we have the bells and whistles in a true sport-touring package, rather than a faux-enduro? I can't get comfortable sitting straight up on my bum, and all the handguards and styling BS looks hugely contrived.

Boo.

Lol

I have the faux enduro Tiger 1050 -- actually I love the handguards.  Keeps hands dryer, warmer and gives new places to place/stretch your fingers and wrists on a long ride.  

Different strokes for diffferent folks....  
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11613

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

Yeah, I own a V-Strom 1000 as well, and really there is no comparison. Compare it to a Versys?  Lol

Lol

spd2918 does make a good point.  Just compare the bike to other more street oriented "adventure" bikes (Tiger, Strom, Versys, etc...)?  I suppose that since the GS is considered the benchmark standard of the adventure bike genre given its sales history, I do understand the comparison.  But, as OWD pointed out, the Multi is more like a Porsche Cayenne compared to the "Land Rover" GS. **

I have to admit, now that I have a hard core dual sport in the garage (i.e. 530 EXC), if I were in the market now to replace the 990 Adventure the new Multi would be at the top of the list.  

** FWIW... Unlike the analogy used by OWD, I see the GS as more like a Range Rover LR3 with the 990 Adventure more like the Range Rover Defender.  The 530EXC is more like a Baja Trophy Truck.   Lol
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »

I've ridden Vstroms (no Versys yet)...No offense, but there's no comparison between a light, 150 hp monster with traction control, slipper clutch, Ohlins (and a barrel full of other features) and a Vstrom/Versys.

What's the definition of "a true sport-touring package"?  It varies as widely as the wind.  The MTS seems about as close to fitting the mold as any bike:  light, powerful, comfortable, handles like a sportbike, integrated bags, heated grips, 12V accessory plugs, 200 mile range, etc.  Shrug

And it seems that the people who are confusing this bike as an enduro are completely focused on the wrong aspect of the bike.  It's no more an "enduro" than a GS or Tiger.  All of these bikes with the exception of true enduros (or perhaps the KTM) are all faux-"enduros."  Everyone knows it, even Ducati.  They've never labeled it an "enduro."  Their term for it is "road enduro" which is 100% accurate.  It's built for logging/fire/gravel roads.

PS  The handguards are for keeping your hands dry/warm on the highway...not for protecting you from smashing them in to a tree trunk as you pretend to squirt this bike through some remote forest trail like some people SEEM to think you're supposed to us it.  No. Lol

Neal
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7535

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »

Personally, I kinda like the trend...    

I agree.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7535

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

And it seems that the people who are confusing this bike as an enduro are completely focused on the wrong aspect of the bike.

People like to try to pick out the worse flaw and dog pile it.  The worse than choose is that bike isn't designed for anymore more than fire roads.  That's sings pretty high praises for the bike.  Lol
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »

Now if only Yamaha would bring the Tenere to the US, maybe BMW would work a little harder for their customers.

The big Tenere is a dud.

From the article:

Occasionally we dance around conclusions, but this one hit both Kevin and I over the head within 20 minutes in the seat. The Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring is the best roadbike we’ve ever tested.

Obviously they haven't ridden the Honda VFR1200.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:47:39 PM by atadaskew » Logged

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
UFO

Reputation 184

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »

Obviously they haven't ridden the Honda VFR1200.

Lmao

Neal
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5758

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

No one has Bigsmile

In other Honda news, I saw a Deausville the other day!
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »

In other Honda news, I saw a Deauville the other day!

I'm sorry.

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5758

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

It's okay, I wasn't riding it.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »

It's okay, I wasn't riding it.

I'm just sorry you saw one.

stridervfr

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 VRF, 2004 R6 sold, 1992 Katana sold
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

The Ducati is a great bike but you can forget it taking over sportbikes.

1. PRICE- Most people can not afford it or justify spending that much on a bike.
2. It is not a mainstream design, many would not even consider it. Especially younger riders.
3. High maintainance costs and very few dealers to support the Bike.
4. People don't want to wait a month on parts to go riding again.

I am not a hater of the bike, in fact I love the Bike but there are pitfalls and I diffenitly doubt it will take much if anything out of the sportbike market.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal