Poll
Question: Do I go into a small amount of debt and get it?  (Voting closed: September 06, 2010, 07:14:57 PM)
Yes, it's an unheard of deal. - 2 (28.6%)
Yes, it makes you look fast. - 0 (0%)
Only if they throw in a free t-shirt. - 2 (28.6%)
No!  Never go into debt for a toy. - 2 (28.6%)
No! With that many miles it will surely explode! - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 950 Adventure '04 30k miles $4300  (Read 1750 times)

Hotbrakes

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Super Duke, VFR800, Super Duke R, RC51, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »

So I stopped in the local dealer today to pick up some goodies for the CBR and noticed the small collection of Adventures in the corner, 3 to be exact, plus a used on outside.  I've been thinking about doing a big trip to Alaska in a couple years that would most likely consist of flying out and renting a suitable pair of wheels to roam around on.  OR I could buy some sort of monstrosity like an Adventure or GS and make the trip from VA.

Anyway, so I was just BS'ing with the salesmen, trying to see what I could get for my RC51 that's for sale and we got on the subject of the used Adventure.  He first asked if I knew what the online price was which I didn't.  He said $7500.  Then he said in a low voice, $4k for you.  He had to say it a couple more times after that cause I didn't think dealers could sell any bike, new or used, for less than $10k!  They let me test ride it as I have not ever really considered anything like it before in my life.  I took it out on the little dirt course they have out back.  It spun everywhere, even with aggressive offroad tires there was way too much power for the soft dirt.  Then I took it out on the street.  The damn thing feels just like my Super Duke (basically the same motor) and is just as fast.  But the rear tire (very knobby) kept spinning up on the pavement and I knew that this whole bike would be trouble.  Plus, where can I ride it in VA?  I had a KLR that was horrible offroad and horrible onroad.  Could I learn to live with this beast?

So, for $4k, a good condition, 30k miles, '04, 950 Adventure.  Yes, no, or maybe.  After riding it I'm leaning towards no.  I've got plenty of dirt experience but love carving (kneedragging) twisties far from home.  Will this thing just spit me off the first time I go for a double or strafe a turn?

birdrunner

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4653

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »

EEK!

I hate people who complain about these kind of problems.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5719

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

R Doug just sold his SuperDuke because his 990 Adventure is so capable and comfy on the road. And pretty darn capable off-road too. I think an Adventure is a great bike for an Alaska trip. And there are probably thousands of miles of public dirt roads and gnarly back roads that the Adventure is perfect for in the mountains along the Wv/VA border.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5762

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

I voted no.  If you had cash, it's a different story; however debt is not something to be had.
Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6787

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

... debt is not something to be had.

Agreed, but I'd have it anyway.
In the time it takes to spin one knobbie...

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11650

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »

It's a great bike and I think it would surprise you.  But, I would find it difficult to go in debt for an '04 used bike.  
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4075

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:46:08 AM »

I have not ridden mine in a year. That will change.  Thumbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal