Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Where to put accessories?  (Read 3518 times)

sonus

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Ninja 250R
GPS: Waltham, MA
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »

Total newb here, about to start riding soon (waiting on the bike) and I was wondering - where do people put accessories like keys, wallet, cell, iPod, etc. while riding? In the inner pants pocket (if wearing overpants)? In the overpants? In the jacket? Just wondering if people have opinions on where to put things for accessibility and safety in the case of a fall.
Bryan217

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Honda VFR w/ABS
GPS: Northford, CT
Miles Typed: 687

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »

In my case, I put them in the side cases. I rarely ride without them. But when I do, they're usually in my jacket pockets. When I'm not lazy and don't have the hard bags on, I'll grab my mini tank bag and put them in there.
nater

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 731

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23:51 AM »

in a pocket

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »

Total newb here, about to start riding soon (waiting on the bike) and I was wondering - where do people put accessories like keys, wallet, cell, iPod, etc. while riding? In the inner pants pocket (if wearing overpants)? In the overpants? In the jacket? Just wondering if people have opinions on where to put things for accessibility and safety in the case of a fall.

1. First of all if you're a TOTAL noob rider forget the Ipod-----unless that's just for when you stop + want to chill. 2

2. To answer your question get yourself a tankbag, one big enough to roll up a rain jacket in addition to the stuff you mentioned.

Shit in your pockets when riding can get uncomfortable.

halloween over.
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »

Tank Bag!  Yeah, they look dumb there but damn are they worth it!  

mastros2.wordpress.com
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14091

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »

Here's my usual set up:
- Right front pocket = wallet (I have a very small, thin wallet, so it fits well
- Right left pocket = cell phone (I like to have it "on" me, just in case)

- Tank bag - everything else.

I try to keep as little as possible "on" me, as I've heard of too many stories where someone broke a rib, etc, when they crashed and landed on their cell phone, etc. The pockets I use are not close to many bones and instead are near lots of soft tissue (too much soft tissue, if you ask me), so bruising should be minor if anything were to happen  Embarassment

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »

Tank bag, and plus one to the no i-pod while riding as a newbie thing.  Until you get more comfortable dealing with idiots (pardon me, other drivers...) you want to be able to hear and see everything. I'm just now starting to use my bluetooth setup with music and gps after 3 years.

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4218

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »

I try to keep as little as possible "on" me, as I've heard of too many stories where someone broke a rib, etc, when they crashed and landed on their cell phone, etc.

+1 !  Everything  for me goes in the tankbag.

Hockey season starts April 18!  Riding season starts as soon as I get a babysitter. Any takers?
07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
UHOH

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1138

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »

cell and wallet go in jacket (or outer pants) pocket so I have them with me always, such as when go inside for a convenience store stop.
only other things I carry in jacket pocket are the soft foam earplugs (most riders here wear them ... $.02)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:06:53 AM by UHOH » Logged
goldylocks303
02 Yamie 600R

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: East Bay SF, CA
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »

Depends on how loose your riding pants are over your regular pants.  I have a thin waste so my riding pants just hang on me and it's pretty easy to get my hand down into a jeans pocket so some things.  SO: bike key - outer pocket.  Cell phone, house keys, pocket knife - inner pocket.  Loose change - where ever handy.  Wallet - there's an easy pocket on the top of my left thigh on my riding pants which is perfect for my wallet and a FastTrak transponder.  

eD

Try not to have a good time...  this is supposed to be educational.  Charles Schulz
jbs80106

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1988 BMW K75S, 1982 Suzuki GS650G
GPS: nr Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 369

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »

Don't forget your registration and proof of insurance....inside jacket pocket in a ziplock bag incase it gets wet.  If riding to work, wallet in back pocket (under my overpants).  Cell phone in left lower jacket pocket for easy access.  Garage door opener in right lower jacket pocket.  Don't use/ride w/IPoD or MP3 player.  Too distracting...might try it if I'm just burning miles on the interstate...ear plugs in right pocket.

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 02:16:14 AM »

I don't like using a tank bag on my bike, but I do have a tailbag that pretty much lives on it (this is a bag that attaches to the passenger seat).  I prefer not to carry anything bulky, like a cell phone, in my pockets, so pretty much everything goes in the tailbag.  

If you wear riding pants over your regular pants, be aware it can look somewhat...uh, interesting...to strangers when you have to undo your pants and stick your hand down inside, trying to fish money or your wallet out of the pocket of your steetpants...

And yeah, I'd not bother with the ipod or anything like that while riding.  You need to be focused...this is not like driving a car, which you can do with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding a coffee while you chat on the phone, carry on a discussion with your passenger, change the cd in the stereo, and backhand the kids in the backseat, all at the same time...(highly skilled drivers can do all this while reading the morning paper and checking their Facebook page on a laptop as well, and I won't even mention shaving or applying makeup...)

E=MC2
Mr.Black

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18465

My Photo Gallery

Let's run this up the flagpole and see who salutes

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:20:04 AM »

Nothing on my person. Period. Well maybe the ipod in my inner jacket pocket. Every thing in the tank bag. Its not a safety thing for me either, its a comfort thing.
sonus

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Ninja 250R
GPS: Waltham, MA
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

Yep, I plan to leave the iPod at home when I'm riding. I just threw it in there cuz it seemed like one of those things that people might carry around and would normally throw in their pocket.
Fun Dog
Well alrighty then...

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '01 Aprilia Futura
GPS: Joja
Miles Typed: 439

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »

The pockets I use are not close to many bones and instead are near lots of soft tissue (too much soft tissue, if you ask me), Embarassment
Lol
I put an oblong plastic kickstand puck in my left frontal thigh pant pocket.  I put my garage door opener and my wallet in my right frontal thigh pant pocket.  The wallet goes over the garage door opener so I don't have to fish for it at a gas station.  Besides, I can operate the garage door opener by pushing the button through the fabric of the pant pocket, so I never really have to take it out at all.

These are overpants, by the way.  I don't put anything in my jeans.  Don't want to have to pull my overpants down in a public area just to get my wallet or my kickstand puck.  Somebody might get ansy and call the cops.

I put my cell phone in the left inner breast pocket of my jacket (all 4 of my jackets have one).  Just about the ONLY time I ever carry a cell phone is when I'm on the bike.  I rarely, if ever, carry a cell phone otherwise.

I fill the front left and right hands-pockets of my jackets with ear plugs in case I forget and leave a pair somewhere...which I do a lot.  Don't want to get stuck somewhere without ear plugs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:20:33 PM by Fun Dog » Logged

Torque equals horsepowa times the square root of your momma
dankatz

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR, 2009 Monster (wife's)
GPS: Boston
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »

Welcome to riding! I am next door in Newton. If I am not going on a long ride i do try to keep everything on me in my outside pants pocket wallet and iphone inside the leather jacket (if wearing leather and riding jeans) or all in my jacket (if wearing waterproof adventure jacket and textile pants. I do have a small tailpack for my monster and hard cases for my VFR. Most importantly, wear all the gear all the time!
nater

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 731

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

I just put stuff in my pockets.  I guess I'm not that worried about falling on the stuff.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
chornbe

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »

Shit in your pockets when riding can get uncomfortable.

I would imagine so. Fortunately, he sounds to be living somewhere modern where he's got indoor plumbing.  Thumbsup
Mr.Black

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18465

My Photo Gallery

Let's run this up the flagpole and see who salutes

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »

How and why the hell would you shit in your pockets? That's just stupid.
Zerosum

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '88 Hawk GT, '97 VFR750, '06 V-Strom 650
GPS: Baltimore, MD
Miles Typed: 2732

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »

Just my $0.02: I've been riding for seven years and I still refuse to listen to music while riding.  No good can come of it - at some point it's going to take some fraction of my attention off the road and that's just not acceptable.

As for storage, for a long time I got by with pockets and a rear luggage rack w/ bungees.  When I got my V-Strom two years ago, I took the plunge and went to a full 3-piece luggage setup.  It rules, I wish I had done it sooner.  Totally worth the ~$400 it cost.   I'm sure there are smaller rear case options for the Ninja that won't look huge on a small bike like that.  I'd go that route.   When you step up to a new bike, you can always sell the luggage for a little less than you paid for it, or transplant it to the next bike.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:32:33 PM by Zerosum » Logged

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal