Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Breaking News - Yamaha says Super-Ténéré & FZ8 will come to US  (Read 47974 times)

marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:43 am »

I was really hoping that $14k price tag included the bags, skid plate, etc that is coming on the special edition in the EU, but it seems to be the base model.  If it DID come with all those goodies I would be putting my deposit down now, but for $14k and then having to add protection, bags, etc, I think I would just go buy a used GS already set up.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

I wonder if the FZ8 headlight would bolt on to the FZ1 in place of it's half fairing.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 11:41:17 am »

I wonder if the FZ8 headlight would bolt on to the FZ1 in place of it's half fairing.

The LSL Urban streetlight universal conversion would probably be cheaper and less hassle, and it looks very similar to the Fz8 headlight.
Advertisement

XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:59 pm »

Triumph is the one to watch.  Thumbsup

Re: Yamaha; you're asking for more than they've traditionally delivered, anyway.

The FJR's not due; there's not really a whole lot the bike needs. The incremental changes between the Gen-1 and Gen-2 were nothing ground-breaking, just as the C14 Gen-1 and Gen-2 changes were minor niggling points. In nearly every way that matters, the Concours-14 and the FJR are completely interchangeable, and the stuff the C14 has that the FJR doesn't is a non-issue for most. The ST1300 has been static coming up on a decade(?) and still sells pretty well.

That genre isn't a cutting edge class leading machine like the RR/SS bikes are. The FZ1 has always lagged behind the R1 by some measurable time, so there's nothing to get excited about there; by rote.

Regarding the FJR vs the C14... You are incorrect. They are not even close on features and they are features that matter. The FJR needs a few improvements.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:28:30 pm by XLR8 » Logged
mcrider007

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR-ES, 2012 S10, 2010 C14A
GPS: Kennewick, WA
Miles Typed: 351

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

Regarding the FJR vs the C14... You are incorrect. They are not even close on features and they are features that matter. The FJR needs a few improvements.  Wink

Very true statements.  I just rode a 2010 C14 back to back with a Gen II FJR (that had a GP Suspension fork rebuild, Penske shock, and a Corbin seat) and it reminded of the day I compared a ST1100 to a C10, except this time the Kawasaki had the smooth engine, plush ride, and multiple refinements.
chornbe

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:22 am »

The only review I glanced at on this bike vs the GS was that the GS was a better value since it come loaded with items you cant get on the S-Tenere for about the same price. The S-Tenere is closer to $20k in Europe I guess?
Posted on: 01-09-2010, 16:43:27
I think its fair to put the Super Tenere in the same class as the GS. Its closer to the GS than the VStrom for sure. Way more of an off road bike. The price is right in my opinion. Hell if this were a Honda it would be $20k so quit your bitchen.  Lol

I think the FZ8 is awesome. Not everbody likes freaking plastic on their bikes. I am becoming more of a naked guy myself. Humm that didn't come out right.

Exactly, and Exactly.

The price comparos we did when the STEN was introduced for Europe and comparing the prices for competing machines there and here, it was looking like a SOLID $19K here.

And the naked FZ8 is a good choice, IMO. I'm gonna give one a look.

I agree with Doug's statement about more choices for everyone looking is a great thing for the market place; but when the STEN was introduced for Europe there was lots of "not again!" and "I'd buy it if it was coming here" comments. So, I'm curious to see - now that it IS! - how many of those "I'll run out NOW and get one!" people are going to do so.

I expect poor sales, but on the upside, the special order means they'll sell every one they bring here.  Thumbsup
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2010, 08:05:51 am »

chornbe

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2010, 09:24:41 am »

HAH! That's good.
Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2010, 09:30:44 am »

I will start saving.

Sig lines used to be fun.
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:42 am »

I agree with Doug's statement about more choices for everyone looking is a great thing for the market place; but when the STEN was introduced for Europe there was lots of "not again!" and "I'd buy it if it was coming here" comments. So, I'm curious to see - now that it IS! - how many of those "I'll run out NOW and get one!" people are going to do so.

I expect poor sales, but on the upside, the special order means they'll sell every one they bring here.  Thumbsup

I would have bought one. I waited in the spring to see if they thought about bringing it to the US, but it was pretty clear it wasn't, so I bought the GS. I would have paid a premium (a small premium) for the Yamaha reliabilty. I know, I know, ..... but when you start to resarch all the GS troubles, I wanted something with the utility of the GS, but the reliabilty of a FJR.  It's a little different and unique, so sometimes that comes at a cost also. Guzzi owners know this, I'm sure.
chornbe

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2010, 09:59:05 am »

I would have bought one. I waited in the spring to see if they thought about bringing it to the US, but it was pretty clear it wasn't, so I bought the GS. I would have paid a premium (a small premium) for the Yamaha reliabilty. I know, I know, ..... but when you start to resarch all the GS troubles, I wanted something with the utility of the GS, but the reliabilty of a FJR.  It's a little different and unique, so sometimes that comes at a cost also. Guzzi owners know this, I'm sure.

Thumbsup Thanks. Absolutely valid points and Yamaha should know they missed sales by announcing it as a Euro only machine a year before the USA release.  Thumbsdown

The "I'll buy one in 3-4 years left over or used" crowd does absolutely NOTHING to convince the MFGs that it's worth bringing a machine to a new market.
bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 556

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:17 am »

So you think it's going to be more reliable then the Beemer?  I would think so too but just curious what others think.

What about it being more reliable then the new Triumph 800 coming out?  That's on my radar too but not sure about Triumph reliability.  Never had a problem with my FZ so think I'm kind of spoiled
chornbe

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2010, 11:09:04 am »

So you think it's going to be more reliable then the Beemer?  I would think so too but just curious what others think.

What about it being more reliable then the new Triumph 800 coming out?  That's on my radar too but not sure about Triumph reliability.  Never had a problem with my FZ so think I'm kind of spoiled

Simplicity = reliability.

Yamaha isn't exactly known for tossing gobs and gobs of tech at bikes unless there's a DAMNED good reason for it.

The ABS system on the FJR is very rudimentary yet capable. The ECU on it has, as I understand it, a very segmented code firmware - which means it's built from lots of little bits of simple code. Plus it doesn't do much. The most complicated thing Yamaha's got on any of their bikes, really is the ABS or some of the real top-end stuff on the SS bikes.

So, aside from the engines just grenading due to poor oiling or something, or poorly measured wheel bearings going kaput, I don't see a lot of points of failure. Even their few drive-shaft bikes are of a ridiculously simple, uncomplicated design.
UFO

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2010, 11:22:04 am »

That white FZ8 with gold wheels looks nice. Thumbsup

marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2010, 11:29:17 am »

Simplicity = reliability.

Yamaha isn't exactly known for tossing gobs and gobs of tech at bikes unless there's a DAMNED good reason for it.

The ABS system on the FJR is very rudimentary yet capable. The ECU on it has, as I understand it, a very segmented code firmware - which means it's built from lots of little bits of simple code. Plus it doesn't do much. The most complicated thing Yamaha's got on any of their bikes, really is the ABS or some of the real top-end stuff on the SS bikes.

So, aside from the engines just grenading due to poor oiling or something, or poorly measured wheel bearings going kaput, I don't see a lot of points of failure. Even their few drive-shaft bikes are of a ridiculously simple, uncomplicated design.

Ahem, auto clutch FJR?  Exhaust power valves?  Ride by wire throttle?  Adjusting intake horns?  Just to name a few tech items Yamaha has thrown at us "for no good reason".  Sure they add SOMETHING to the bike, but IIRC no one asked for those items and the bikes without them sure do well enough....

This bike has far more tech than the FJR in the brake department too.

None of this means the bike wont be reliable, but what are you REALLY paying for here?  Like it or not the GS has cache and an amazing AMAZING aftermarket following.  It has tens of thousands of spare parts, new and used available and a support network that would make almost all other bikes pale in comparison.  Plus the GS is proven, on road and off road.

What does this bike bring to the table in the area of aftermarket, support, used part availability?  And if it sells in small numbers here, how does that improve?

Finally, every comparison and test ride of this bike I have read said it was a nice bike, but not the pick of the litter, the GS was, so IMHO = FAIL if you are deciding between this and the GS.

So how would Yamaha turn things around?  A stupid low price or extra/more features to bring buyers, which in turn brings in the aftermarket which then feeds to more buyers, which feeds a used market, which feeds more new buyers and so on.  At that price, while not absurd, it is too close to the GS to make it worth the "risk"....and an the one year warranty is utter BS, if you are targeting potential GS buyers, put your money where your mouth is and offer 2 or 3 year coverage.

Also one final thing to consider, accept it or not this bike HAS to compete with the used market, so that is something else Yamaha should have considered when pricing the bike.  

Bottom line, IMHO this bike at this price with the hard bags and skid plate a great value and would sell, this bike at $11,995 a great value and will sell, at $13,995, tough call, for me, I said no as soon as I saw the price and moved on.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:37:59 am by marc11 » Logged

chornbe

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:24 am »

Ahem, auto clutch FJR?  Exhaust power valves?  Ride by wire throttle?  Adjusting intake horns?  Just to name a few tech items Yamaha has thrown at us "for no good reason".  Sure they add SOMETHING to the bike, but IIRC no one asked for those items and the bikes without them sure do well enough....

This bike has far more tech than the FJR in the brake department too.

Ok, so I was speaking in historical terms. Good point.

The auto clutch was an option; it wasn't shoved down our throats like, say, CANBUS or KiPass was.

None of this means the bike wont be reliable, but what are you REALLY paying for here?  Like it or not the GS has cache and an amazing AMAZING aftermarket following.  It has tens of thousands of spare parts, new and used available and a support network that would make almost all other bikes pale in comparison.  Plus the GS is proven, on road and off road.

What does this bike bring to the table in the area of aftermarket, support, used part availability?  And if it sells in small numbers here, how does that improve?

Finally, every comparison and test ride of this bike I have read said it was a nice bike, but not the pick of the litter, the GS was, so IMHO = FAIL if you are deciding between this and the GS.

Exactly. Several of the reviews I've read said (paraphrasing, and in the context of $Euro) "It doesn't do anything better than the GS, there's nothing exceptional about it and it's considerably more expensive than the GS."

Price excepted, they're functionally interchangeable and it's new (read as: untested and unsupported)

So, while all of that is true, the lower price point (here in the states) will be a key consideration. At the expected, much higher price point, it would have been a non-starter at the absolute BEST of terms. The measurably lower price gives it some potential for momentum.

*shrug*
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »

Remember this bike has been out for several months in the rest of the world so the aftermarket has responded. Those bikes will have been on the road for nearly a year by the time North American buyers get them. Aftermarket will be even stronger then. As per usual, there are several threads on ADVrider including discussion from Euro and Australian owners who have been putting the miles (ok, kilometers) on these bikes. One could gather some information on reliability from them.

I dismissed this bike when it was first announced for the weight and lack of 21/18 tires. I was hoping for a new Tenere rather than a GS. Looking at the specs like ABS, tc, two maps, low center of gravity, long service intervals, spoke wheels that accept tubless tires, foam air filters, decent suspension, big tank, etc, it looks like Yamaha did a pretty good job. Many more features than a V-Strom 1k and priced less than a standard GS. Its not the perfect ADV bike or anything, but its slips into that trailie touring niche really well.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
desert_rider
When in doubt - keep moving!

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 1977 Yamaha XS360
GPS: Yucca Valley, SoCal
Miles Typed: 2307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:01 pm »

Any questions about the new S10?

S10 owner's manual:

http://www.ymenvom.nl/new/manuals/U23PE0.PDF

IBA#39121
chornbe

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2010, 02:37:47 pm »

And ya know... it seems petty, but there's something to be said for adhering to some standards... like TUBELESS tires, for instance, or using standard oils rather than something unobtanium-infused like 15W60 or some stupid shit.
marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2010, 02:57:33 pm »

Did I miss it in the owners manual but I didn't see a listing for a valve check under the maintenance chart....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal