Poll
Question: What brand of tire do you purchase most often?
Michelin - 163 (48.4%)
Dunlop - 28 (8.3%)
Pirelli - 27 (8%)
Metzeler - 36 (10.7%)
Bridgestone - 36 (10.7%)
Avon - 19 (5.6%)
Other - 15 (4.5%)
Continental - 13 (3.9%)
Total Voters: 336

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tire manufacturer choices  (Read 14290 times)

chornbe

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »

This is on the Guzzi, Chris, isn't it?

I don't think my rear Angel will last that long on the Tiger, but it's a bit heavier (as am I) . . . .

Yeah, the Guzzi.

I see conflicting numbers, but estimated "running weight" is about 550-560, with 70 ft lbs and I've got a heavy throttle hand, with about 50% of my daily 28-mile commute on 4-lane highway.
Magnarider
Sportbike Noob

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '01 FZ1, '96 1100 GPZ (sold), '94 Magna (sold), 2002 DRZ400S (sold)
GPS: Blaine, Minnesota
Miles Typed: 925

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »

I usually run Michelin PR2s.  Tried Continental Road Attacks, but didn't get all that great of mileage out of them, so I went back to the Michelins.

Every time the Gold Bond / monkey butt threads pop up it puts a smile on my face...just like being 13 and in sex ed class...priceless and juvenile yet informative and useful. - stewm_21
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »

For years I ran metzlers, then I put a few set of stock bt-14 bridgestone's on the Gsxr and now (in the quest for more milage) I am trying a set of dunlop roadsmarts Thumbsup.
So far,so good! On the duke I have been cheap and sleazy, running some FREE race take offs pirelli's. They work good once they warm up, kinda greasy till then.
2wTraveler

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Triumph Daytona 955i
GPS: Atlanta area
Miles Typed: 1166

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

Motorcycle tire technology has come a long way, you really can't go wrong these days. That being said, my personal preference is with Michelin.

AMA, IBA 33154
Well I've been here, And I've been there, And I've been every f***ing where, So what...so what  -Anti-Nowhere League 1981
Hotbrakes

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Super Duke, VFR800, Super Duke R, RC51, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 762

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »

Price is generally my deciding factor and Bridgestone has been pretty consistent over the last few years with good prices on most of their range.  I have utterly abused a rear BT-021 short of taking it to the track on the Super Duke.  Never let me down and the mileage was fantastic.  I've got a lot track takeoffs now though so I just recycle them for street duty.

Last year I discovered DOT race rubber for the track and have run Pirelli, Bridgestone, and Conti's.  In addition to those brands I just put a set of Dunlop Q2's on the shelf for some spring track days.  I'm pretty much a tire whore and anyone who shows up on my doorstep could probably score a decent set of used tires.  Track takeoffs are awesome for summer street riding.  The edges may be worn down but there's always another 2k miles left on the centers.

BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 792

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »

I'm a bit surprised that Michelin is running away with the poll so far. I've tried every brand on the list and probably have bought a few more Stones than anything else. On the other hand my wife wont have anything but Michelin Pilot Roads. If I even suggest anything else she flat refuses and insist the Roads be on both her bikes.
ZX10BURNER
Out Tire Shread'n

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1989 Kawasaki ZX-10 & 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Miles Typed: 40

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »

I have to say Dunlop, Avon, and then Bridgestone in that order.  I have used Michelin and Pirelli both were ok but didn't give me the feel, grip, and confidence that my first three choices did.
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 24

Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »

When I picked up the Bandit a few years ago it had Michelins on it.  They were ok.

About 2K later I replaced them with Conti Road Attacks. Loved them.

They lasted 9K replaced the with Conti Force as my local shop had them on hand. nice tire, not a good as the Attacks, btu a nice tire.

Got a nail in the rear at 2K, replaced it with a Conti motion. Did not like it. Wrong profile for the Bandit. Replaced it with another Force at less than 800 miles. They lasted more than 8K as did a second set.

Wore out the second set of Forces at about 8.5K and replaced them with Pirelli Angel ST treads. As advertized they are a long wearing tire, but they made the steering heavy and never felt confident on turn in.

Last week, at 5K into the Angels I picked up a nail in the rear. Decided to replace them with a Set of Conti Sport Attacks.  Glad I did. The bike is so much happier with the grip and profile of the Attack series of tires.

In short, my opinion is that the Conti Attack series of tires are a very good match for the second generation Bandits (1200s in my case) and word from a friend is that they are very nice on the 1250 Bandits too.

One important note; Conti specs a higher pressure in the Attack tires due to their belt placement / design.  I run mine at 38 / 42 with very good results.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:30:40 PM by 02Tac » Logged

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
ambientboy

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 01 Suzuki GSF1200N
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

My B12 loves its Dunlop Roadsmarts...and so do I.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 528

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »

Been more than satisfied with Dunlops (Roadsmart, Qualifier and Q2) the last 10 years on half a dozen different bikes.  Tried ST types of other makers for long trips only.

Now that may change.  Put some Q2s on the Ninja 1000 and while the grip is great as expected, the chassis geometry doesn't agree with the tire profile.  Rear is used up to the edge but have 1/2" chicken strip left on the front.  I thought perhaps some high speed sweepers would get me leaning more instead of simply turning like at normal speeds.  Didn't matter.  Even 120 mph sweepers through the forest couldn't use up the front.

Time to look at something else where I can use the front and rear more equally.  My other bikes did not agree with Pilot Powers and Diablos but maybe this one will.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »

Nothing worse than having half an inch of reserve.  Lol

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9238

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:33 AM »

Odd wheel sizes on the TBird restrict me quite a lot. So, I usually use Avon Azaro's.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

Motorcycles: See signature
GPS: Lehigh Valley, PA
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

Pirelli all the way.  The other I might try again was Metzler.  Continental and Bridgestone were OK, but not my favorites.  Never a set of Michelins again.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Gnigma

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '03 Moto Guzzi Cali EV, '82 Kawasaki KZ750 M1 twin, "82 Virago 920, "90 Suzuki VX800
GPS: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." RAW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

The past few years I've used Shinkos. (Used to be Yokohama) They're cheap, and they stick like glue. They're a little soft, so you have to change them every 6-8000 miles, some say as often as 5000, but, for the price of one Pirelli or Michellin, you can get three. One observation I have made is that the Shinko tires I've used always take less weight to balance than anything else I've used--- less than 1/2 ounce. The last set of Dunlops took 6 1/4 oz weights, and the Michellins always took even more.

Jim

I wasn't BORN with this attitude--- somebody GAVE it to me.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yam XVS950, Ninja 650
GPS: SE Wisc
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

...with Pirelli Angel ST treads. As advertized they are a long wearing tire, but they made the steering heavy and never felt confident on turn in....
I'm very surprised to read this.
I put an Angel on the front of my K12RS - it makes that bike darn near nimble and very confidence inspiring (with a PR.2 rear).
I like it so much I just put one on the front of my Ninja 650.
Now I'm looking for rear tires I like as much (though no complaints at all with the PR 2).  I was going to try a RoadSmart, but they're more $ than a PR 2 now.  

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Jay S.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2010 FZ6R
Miles Typed: 156

My Photo Gallery

Life is a highway...

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »

I was due for some new tires and after seeing the results of this poll, I ordered 2 Michelin PR 2's. I'm a bit excited. I didn't care for the Bridgestone's that came stock on the bike.

Thumbsup
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »

The past few years I've used Shinkos. (Used to be Yokohama) They're cheap, and they stick like glue. They're a little soft, so you have to change them every 6-8000 miles, some say as often as 5000, but, for the price of one Pirelli or Michellin, you can get three. One observation I have made is that the Shinko tires I've used always take less weight to balance than anything else I've used--- less than 1/2 ounce. The last set of Dunlops took 6 1/4 oz weights, and the Michellins always took even more.

Shinko?? I wouldn't do that if I were you. I was running a highly touted 757 touring tire set on the Connie when the front tire damn near came apart on me.
Tread separation. Look at the size of the bubble. F*ck Shinko, I could be dead right now thanks to Shinko.

Tires sucked ass anyway from Day 1. Bike wiggled and danced and squirmed all over the place. They were anything but confidence inspiring.

Impromptu parking lot wrench session courtesy of Shinko USA, 80 miles from home.  Thumbsdown

halloween over.
HanksXXX

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 ZX-14, 2000 Turbo Bandit
GPS: Augusta NJ
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »

Just finishing up my 10th set of Pilot Powers on my Turbo BlackBird. Love the tires but damn its getting expensive. I had a 4500 mile average going till I switched to a 55 rear profile which lasted 3500 miles and I said screw it...Time to sample sumpin else...
I'm mounting a pair of Angles tomorrow and leaving for Road Atlanta next week.
Depending on the mileage I get, the next set will be Roadsmart 2's and then I'm going to try some Road 3's. I'm trying to slowly get away from a great handling tire to get better mileage and want to ease up what I perceive to be the ladder to higher mileage Sport-Touring tires.
I'm also going to turn the boost down a pound with every set, or maybe every year... Wink
Gnigma

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '03 Moto Guzzi Cali EV, '82 Kawasaki KZ750 M1 twin, "82 Virago 920, "90 Suzuki VX800
GPS: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." RAW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »

Shinko?? I wouldn't do that if I were you. I was running a highly touted 757 touring tire set on the Connie when the front tire damn near came apart on me.
Tread separation. Look at the size of the bubble. F*ck Shinko, I could be dead right now thanks to Shinko.

Tires sucked ass anyway from Day 1. Bike wiggled and danced and squirmed all over the place. They were anything but confidence inspiring.

Impromptu parking lot wrench session courtesy of Shinko USA, 80 miles from home.  Thumbsdown

YMMV.  They've discontinued the 757s. Also, why were you running a radial rear tire on the front? I'm just curious, looking at the pics, because that one still has the "fuzz" on it, so I assume it did not take long to seperate after you mounted it. I've only used their bias ply tires, but I've used them for over ten years (not at a time!) and I've never seen one do that.

Jim

I wasn't BORN with this attitude--- somebody GAVE it to me.
James

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 80 XS11lg, 59 Bonniville
GPS: Manhattan, KS
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »

I really liked the Avon Azarios till they stopped making my size, tried several & now run Shinko Raven 009's. I get ~10,000 out of the rears (like I do w/most tires) & about double that from the fronts (like most tires). Minimal cupping on the front. Three sets so far w/no complaints. Local independent shop owner thinks they're a death trap waiting to happen, but can't give me a reason for the opinion.

James
Gravity always works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal