Poll
Question: What are the most overlooked and underrated bikes owned / used by STN Members? (PICK 3)
Aprilia Caponord - 27 (3.5%)
BMW K1100RS - 25 (3.3%)
Ducati ST3/4 - 76 (9.9%)
Honda NT700V - 47 (6.1%)
Honda ST1300 - 63 (8.2%)
KTM SM-T - 26 (3.4%)
Kawasaki Versys - 83 (10.8%)
Kawasaki ZZR1200 - 58 (7.6%)
Kawasaki GPZ1100 - 23 (3%)
Moto Guzzi Norge - 90 (11.7%)
Suzuki GS500F - 31 (4%)
Triumph Sprint RS - 65 (8.5%)
Yamaha FZ6R - 42 (5.5%)
Buell Ulysses - 56 (7.3%)
Other:  Write In Vote - 56 (7.3%)
Total Voters: 343

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Most Overlooked and Underrated Touring Motorcycles (PICK 3)  (Read 56284 times)

Scottybones

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 02 Kawasaki ZZR1200
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »

ZZR1200, of course.  It was never the fastest.  Nor the best handling.  Nor the prettiest.  But it does everything pretty well.  I keep looking for something sporty, reasonably quick, and well suited for 2-up.  Everything else comes up short in some category.  Usually 2-up capability.  Smaller & smaller is the trend these days.  At 4 or 5 times the cost, a C14 would probably be better, but not 4 or 5 times better.  Big ZZR's are so cheap now that if I trash mine, I can replace it for the cost of a couple of insurance payments on something new.

I love my Zed.  It's a great looking bike and very fast and handles very good.  Yes it's a fairly heavy bike, but once your moving the weight seems to disappear.  I can keep up or beat just about any supersport except for the newest ones.  The fuel mileage kind of sucks, but it's such a great blend of touring and sport bike that it doesn't bother me at all.  Plus my wife loves riding on it so how much more can you ask for?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

greidel

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '08 Kawaski Versys, '10 Vespa 300 Super
GPS: Lancaster, PA
Miles Typed: 196

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:27 pm »

I voted for my Versys. I don't hear a lot of people talking about them here. I guess they don't excel at "triple-digit sight-seeing". But they rock in the twisties, which is what everyone says they search out. I recently rode with a group of Concours 14s and stayed right with them because we were in winding back roads. Then, at the end of the ride, I didn't have to add gas to get home. Short wheelbase, light, upright, big tank equals a long day of fun. Has anyone else noticed that the motorcycle mags, after they talk about the latest Ducati to come out, have an article about some great scenic ride... and that guy is on a Versys.

#6. There is NO rule 6.
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »

I picked FZ6R but meant FZ6.  If you want a lightweight sport touring mount the FZ6 is it inmy book.  50+ MPG depending on how fast you want to go and plenty of room and carrying capacity for all but the heavist of loads.  Engine has good midrange.

I went from a FJR1300 to a FZ6 and so far I've really been liking it.  

I don't care for the FZ6R.  Steel frame (weight), and lower shelf suspension and other bits than even the FZ6 had (and it didn't have the best stuff), all so they could put more plastic on it to make it appeal to the yougins who had to have a "sport bike".

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
Advertisement

cubby

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: concours 14
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:03 pm »

I'm on my second Vstrom 1000 and although its kind of vanilla compared to some others mentioned here, it fits me nice, and I can out run all cruisers and though I am behind, I can hang with my buddies on FZ1's through the corners.  Plus its nice for two up with luggage.  
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 01:47:53 am »

GSX1250FA

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 52

Miles Typed: 3388

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »

My write in is the Suzuki Bandit, any year. With minor mods it makes a pretty good touring mount.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
mammut89

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: suzuki gsxf 600
GPS: Oslo, Norway
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:07 pm »

the suzuki katana 600 , its definately hated by many and underrated, but ive owned it for some time now and I take it to the track many times during the season in the advanced group and put the knee down in all corners, go on long 10-12 hour two up trips for several days , commute and what not.  its cheap to buy , cheap to maintain , cheap to insure , simple mechanics and it keeps up with many bikes. I am still the limiting factor on it  Shrug
Mr.Awesome
Motorcyclist

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 21 Triumph Tiger 850, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW 200
GPS: Metamora, MI
Miles Typed: 877

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:03 am »

my pick is the 95-96 gpz1100. rock solid bike and motor. super smooth motor is what kawi should have put in the c10 connie's. keeps up no problem with more modern machines. very comfy ergos and can be found cheap.
after that i would go with the first gen fz1 and fz6.
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

my pick is the 95-96 gpz1100. rock solid bike and motor. super smooth motor is what kawi should have put in the c10 connie's. keeps up no problem with more modern machines. very comfy ergos and can be found cheap.

I remember your gpz1100 as a VERY, VERY nice bike.  It would definitely move.  There are a bunch of guys in the upstate of SC that ride gen 1 FZ1's.  Those guys fly, they just have to remember to stay on the asphalt and remain vertical Crazy.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 12:17:02 am »

/\ /\ /\  Count me in, Rock solid and smooth  Thumbsup

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Magnarider
Adventure Kool-Aid Drinker

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2014 BMW R1200GS
GPS: Blaine, Minnesota
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »

Yes. My GPz was my intro into sport-touring and it was SMOOTH AS GLASS. I ended up moving to the FZ1 which I've really enjoyed. Faster, and better suspension, especially after some mods. Both great bikes at great prices.

Every time the Gold Bond / monkey butt threads pop up it puts a smile on my face...just like being 13 and in sex ed class...priceless and juvenile yet informative and useful. - stewm_21
rgbeard

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 Speed Triple, 2001 Trophy 1200, 2003 GSXR 1000
GPS: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Miles Typed: 3961

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »

I will place a second write-in for the Trophy 1200

The distance between “Impossible!” and “All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor” is about 10 drinks.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2013, 10:30:43 am »

I will place a second write-in for the Trophy 1200

Damn good bike. If ugly.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »

Maybe when this was first posted, the Moto Guzzi Norge.  But now there's a small but devoted STN group with Norges.  Certainly if the question is, "the most underrated touring motorcycle on STN," then the Norge is not it.

I suggest the Honda VFR1200.  Because it's intended by Honda to be the exact bike for people like us.  And as far as I know, there is only one STN member who owns one.  Wow.  Did that miss the target or what?   Shrug  

Any STN thread that mentions the VFR1200 immediately seems to devolve into what it isn't or what it doesn't have (big tank, cheap price, cruise control, built-in stock ticker).  But in theory, we all wanted a bike like the VFR and Honda built it for sport touring.  And of course 98% of the people who bash it for what it isn't have never ridden one (which is not necessarly our fault; ever tried to get a test ride at a Honda dealer?).  I think all the folks with big water cooled BMW's, for instance, would love the VFR if they had the chance to ride it.

So I vote it 'Most Underrated."  

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »

Maybe when this was first posted, the Moto Guzzi Norge.  But now there's a small but devoted STN group with Norges.  Certainly if the question is, "the most underrated touring motorcycle on STN," then the Norge is not it.

I suggest the Honda VFR1200.  Because it's intended by Honda to be the exact bike for people like us.  And as far as I know, there is only one STN member who owns one.  Wow.  Did that miss the target or what?   Shrug  

Any STN thread that mentions the VFR1200 immediately seems to devolve into what it isn't or what it doesn't have (big tank, cheap price, cruise control, built-in stock ticker).  But in theory, we all wanted a bike like the VFR and Honda built it for sport touring.  And of course 98% of the people who bash it for what it isn't have never ridden one (which is not necessarly our fault; ever tried to get a test ride at a Honda dealer?).  I think all the folks with big water cooled BMW's, for instance, would love the VFR if they had the chance to ride it.

So I vote it 'Most Underrated."  

For oh so many years after it hit the beach, the various VFR's were the darlings of the West Coast MC Mag pundits.  When if finally slipped below the radar, Honda had to come up with something to fill the void.  IMO, the first VFR's were what a whole bunch of folks wanted.  Honda didn't figure that out, it just happened.  With the VFR1200 they built a bike that was designed to fit a group that Honda defined and it didn't work out as expected.  It may be a good bike but sure hasn't caught on with the STN crowd or motorcyclists in general.  I know I see way more Norge's out it the back roads than VFR1200's.  To be underrated, I guess a bike has to perform better than it gets credit for.  I don't know if it actually meets that criteria.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
FantasticJapaneseRocket
"It's Only A Couple Hundred Miles"

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR1300
GPS: Menifee, near Temecula in So Cal.
Miles Typed: 253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »

2007 and up Bandit 1250....now called the GSX1250FA but it's still a Bandit 1250.

Silky SMOOOTH motor (less vibes than the old 1200's) Half Fairing 6 speed tranny, EFI, water cooled, a torque monster, it makes FULL 80ft lbs of torque at only 3,500RPM'S!!!!

So the 100HP motor feels like a 130HP motor!

I had a 2007 for 40,000 miles, not a single issue...traded it in last Feb for my 2008 FJR.

Current ride...2008 Black FJR

Riding the best roads in America in AWESOME So Cal
Cliffmeister2000

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 Kawasaki Concours C10
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »

I would vote for the Kawasaki C10 Concours (Connie).  Reliable, fast enough, big gas tank, good mileage, lots of farkles available. Mine's a 2005.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal