Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: The New VFR1200ST  (Read 6611 times)

Dan K

Reputation 108

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3855

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

So where is it?  There's pics in another thread....is it going to be what everyone wanted the VFR1200 to be?

Bigger gas tank? Bigger bags?  Better looks?  A sporty touring version of the K1300S (short of the K1300GT)?

I thought Honda was releasing all these models at the Milan show, but I see nothing other than the cross tourer, cross runner...

Anyone know anything about it?

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1159

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »

I'm waiting, too.  This looks interesting to me except for the engine size since I'm a noob...but I'm not going to run out and buy one in the spring.
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13696

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »

Maybe they shelved it again like they did last year.

Maybe it became the new CrossTourer V4 as Honda realized the ADV-Tourer is the new ST.

Maybe Honda needs to sell more VFR1200's before they will bring it out.

Maybe I'm making all this up and don't really have any idea.
Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »

Maybe they shelved it again like they did last year.

Maybe it became the new CrossTourer V4 as Honda realized the ADV-Tourer is the new ST.

Maybe Honda needs to sell more VFR1200's before they will bring it out.

Maybe I'm making all this up and don't really have any idea.

Maybe.  But I did see those pictures...why reshelve it?  It's a bike people definitely want and not a jump on latest ADV bandwagon.

- Dan

Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »

Maybe.  But I did see those pictures...why reshelve it?  It's a bike people definitely want and not a jump on latest ADV bandwagon.

- Dan

It was ORIGINALLY supposed to come out last year alongside the VFR12F.  They blamed the economy for shelving it.
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1159

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »

So, that other thread was made up?

Edit to add this thread: http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,55516.0.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:14:17 PM by motormike » Logged
Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »

So, that other thread was made up?

No it was based on a bike that was developed but not yet in production.  Not every bike developed by manufacturers becomes a production reality.  That said, it is a fact that Honda has applied for patents for this specific bike.  And it's a fact that the existing ST1300 is long in tooth and will be replaced someday.  Who knows when.
chornbe

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »

The ST1300 has MPG north of 40 and a 7 gallon tank. If Honda doesn't remind themselves of that, then man... it's seriously game over for Big Red in many market segments.
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '11 GSX1250FA, '14 R12RT Wethead
GPS: Fredericksburg, VA
Miles Typed: 1365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »

The ST1300 has MPG north of 40 and a 7 gallon tank. If Honda doesn't remind themselves of that, then man... it's seriously game over for Big Red in many market segments.

I know a lot (like hundreds) of ST13 owners, and the few that really put the tank to use still add an aux tank. I've never found the range of my Honda ST's to be any big advantage, and I've done plenty of touring on other bikes... gotta stop for other reasons anyway, might as well do it where you can grab a snack and engage the locals a bit - find some interesting stuff that way.

I've been waiting for the ST13 replacement a la new 1200 platform for a year, if it doesn't happen this time around and I stay in the segment w/ my next bike, I'll go back to Triumph... shoulda kept the Sprint and sold the ST13 when we moved.

aka "East Coast"
AMA# 864167 STOC# 5445
chornbe

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »

I know a lot (like hundreds) of ST13 owners, and the few that really put the tank to use still add an aux tank. I've never found the range of my Honda ST's to be any big advantage, and I've done plenty of touring on other bikes... gotta stop for other reasons anyway, might as well do it where you can grab a snack and engage the locals a bit - find some interesting stuff that way.

I've been waiting for the ST13 replacement a la new 1200 platform for a year, if it doesn't happen this time around and I stay in the segment w/ my next bike, I'll go back to Triumph... shoulda kept the Sprint and sold the ST13 when we moved.

I hear that, and fully understand, and don't disagree. The angst of filling up every stop is often mitigated by the need to stop for other reasons. Never in question nor contested.

... but that's stopping because you WANT to and in the long run, you're still gong to spend more money on a 31MPG bike than a 45+ MPG bike.

I'd rather stop every two hours because I *want* to, knowing that I can top off every other stop, or that I have a little extra in the tank should I not be able to find something on, say, Rt. 190 in California.
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

I hear that, and fully understand, and don't disagree. The angst of filling up every stop is often mitigated by the need to stop for other reasons. Never in question nor contested.

... but that's stopping because you WANT to and in the long run, you're still gong to spend more money on a 31MPG bike than a 45+ MPG bike.

I'd rather stop every two hours because I *want* to, knowing that I can top off every other stop, or that I have a little extra in the tank should I not be able to find something on, say, Rt. 190 in California.

Agreed, wasn't arguing economy, just capacity. I do consider overall range as I tend to ride longish stretches, ST is good for 300+, Sprint was good for 200+ which was enough although I wouldn't want to go much lower.

aka "East Coast"
AMA# 864167 STOC# 5445
chornbe

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »

... 200+ which was enough although I wouldn't want to go much lower.

Bigok

I consider that the minimum for a "tourable" bike. My sportster was just shy of that, and believe me, there were times when sucking fumes got really, really old at 180+ miles on a damn near dry tank.  Thumbsdown
1000lbs

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 12 Street Triple r, 08 WR250r, 12 CBR250r
GPS: Cathedral City, CA
Miles Typed: 865

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »

The 300+ range was a pretty big factor when I picked up a ST13 as a touring mount.  I'm with Chris on this, stopping when you want to, rather than when needed is a big plus in my book.  Especially when ripping across the desert from SoCal to Vegas and not having to worry about how far the throttle is twisted.  I'd hope the new 1200ST bike would at least offer 250+ mile range to take the edge off watching the fuel gauge while touring.

The coolest thing on four wheels is still two motorcycles.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/VisitedStatesMap.jpg
STJoe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100
GPS: St. Joseph, MO
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Right

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

180+ miles
on a Sportster?  Were you were going down hill?   Headscratch

In addition to touring range, if you have a long commute, having to fill the bike every couple of days is a real drag.  

I too would like to see ST version.   But I have to admit, the Adventure Tourer is probably going to be the bigger market.

tdeboeser

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '03 ST1300
Miles Typed: 315

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »

But I have to admit, the Adventure Tourer is probably going to be the bigger market.

Yeah, I expect the AvT to be the SUV of motorcycling.  Thing is most of the AvT's will be 99% road only bikes.  

Thats not gonna stop me from buying a MTS1200.

Tom de - I love my bigass tank.  

signature goes here
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »

The 300+ range was a pretty big factor when I picked up a ST13 as a touring mount.  I'm with Chris on this, stopping when you want to, rather than when needed is a big plus in my book.  Especially when ripping across the desert from SoCal to Vegas and not having to worry about how far the throttle is twisted.  I'd hope the new 1200ST bike would at least offer 250+ mile range to take the edge off watching the fuel gauge while touring.

New Tiger 800 looks to be able to meet the 250/tank mark... that's good enough for me. If I'm doing one of the longer off road routes I'll carry a small tank to CMA.

aka "East Coast"
AMA# 864167 STOC# 5445
Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »

If the VFR came in that nice ST version, I'd consider buying one...in a few years. Bigsmile

- Dan

STJoe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100
GPS: St. Joseph, MO
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Right

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »

I might be in the market a year from now as well.   Have to say at this point I'm looking pretty hard at the new Beemer six cylinder, but a ST version of the VFR might change that.  
Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »

In my most recent google search, I saw an old article that said this and the new 1200 veradero type bike were finished, but release was pending based on success (cough..) of the VFR.

Still nothing new that I can find.

- Dan

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »

but release was pending based on success (cough..) of the VFR.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen any sales numbers for the new VFR?  Apparently I suck at google and can't find any sales numbers.  I know the only one I've seen is a standard transmission model collecting dust on the floor of my local dealer.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal