Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ducati Diavel Review [MO.com]  (Read 15450 times)

UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13103

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« on: February 21, 2011, 03:26:36 AM »

While the Diavel is a new model, it nevertheless is comprised of many familiar Ducati components, the most prominent of which is its Testastretta 11į engine. This grunty, high-performance 1198.4cc 90-degree Twin (aka L-Twin) is sourced from the current model Multistrada. And with the exception of a new exhaust, it remains largely unchanged as used in the Diavel.

2011 Ducati Diavel exhaust

Ducati says the Diavelís new exhaust is the key to extracting an extra 12 hp and 6.5 ft-lbs from the Testastretta 11 engine.
According to Giulio Malagoli, technical director on the Diavel project, the new Ducís exhaust system, consisting of equal-length 58mm cross-section exhaust headers and dual stacked shorty megaphone cans, is the primary contributor to a 12 hp and 6.5 ft-lb increase over the Multiís 150 hp and 87.5 ft-lbs. The Diavelís airbox is marginally larger than the Mulitstradaís, but the negligible increase in volume isnít essential to power gains and is more a matter of technical needs. Additional revisions include different cam timing, as well as reworked intake and exhaust ports.

During the Diavelís tech briefing Ducati displayed a dyno graph overlay with power and torque results for the 1198 superbike, Multistrada and Diavel

While the Diavelís version of the Testastretta is in a race with the MTS, it handily out-powers the adventure-tourer after the 6500-rpm mark. The Diavel easily out guns the 1198 until around 7000 rpm where it manages to run almost neck-and-neck with the red racer until approximately 9000 rpm, at which point the 1198 stretches its superbike legs.

The Multistradaís spread of torque is more evenly matched to the Diavelís, until 6000 rpm at which point the new devil bike opens a large gap on the MTS and never looks back.

Taking the Ducati-supplied dynos at face value, the Diavel mops up against the 1198 in low-end torque production. Diavel twisting force is notably healthier than what the 1198 produces below approximately 7000 rpm. Itís only then that the race-bike-with-lights finally regains its ground (save for a short 500-rpm dip) and soon out-twists the Diavel by 9000 rpm.

Read the entire review here:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2011-ducati-diavel-review-90421.html

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
County Tar

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Vstrom 650 DR650 FZ6R(sold)
GPS: In the Cab of an ATSF 4-8-4 Northern
Miles Typed: 617

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »

Another one on MD:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/02/2011-ducati-diavel-md-first-ride/

"...Dare we say this is one of the most enjoyable bikes we have ever ridden.  Not a cruiser, not a naked, not a sportbike. Just a Ducati. That is all you need to know."

Hmm.  Maybe this can be a sport tourer.   Bigsmile

For if time was a thing man could buy, all the money that I have in store,
I would give for one day by her side, in the Valley of Strathmore
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

Hmm.  Maybe this can be a sport tourer.   Bigsmile

I chatted with a guy on the Ducati stand at the annual motorcycle show in Birmingham, UK in December. I asked him specifically about a replacement for the ST series bikes which of course went out of production several years ago and to my mind were the most desirable Ducati for my use. He said that it was possible at some point in the future but that for the present, Ducati would probably be using the Diavel platform as the basis for several new models. Since then I have been trying to visualise a Diavel with more weather protection and hard panniers, and the idea seems more realistic having read the reviews of the Diavel so far. Could be interesting!  Bigok

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
birdrunner

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4653

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »

With that HUGE rear tire, Duc has obviously given up on handling over styling.  Expect chromed out MTS in the near future.

Of course,  a 8" rear rim does allow you to put a car tire on the back.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Dan K

Reputation 108

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3855

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

Reviews seem to love the handling.  I'd love to ride one, even with a big rear.   Cool  

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

With that HUGE rear tire, Duc has obviously given up on handling over styling.  Expect chromed out MTS in the near future.

I dunno Bird.  I was skeptical too, and there is indeed some reports of low-speed (sub 50kph) desire to push, but beyond that it seems to be doing well.  And as a person who's always been a bit of a wide load, it's nice to have a bike that resembles the owner from the rear.  Smile

But you're probably right, this thing will be a popular drug money bling cycle. Wonder how long before the customizers try to stretch the swingarm?
bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:53 AM »

couple of weeks, tops... Crazy

nferr

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 99

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »

I like it. It's not a cruiser, but whatever you call it it's nice. A mild touring version would be very nice.

11 Harley Wide Glide
08 Triumph Scrambler
axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '99 900ss, '03 ST4s, Royal Enfield Bullet
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 391

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

I saw one on Sunday. I'm sure they're nice to ride, but think they're ugly. Kind of a big, giant Monster-something. To me a Ducati should be a supersport or superbike. The monsters sell like hotcakes, however, and have probably kept Ducati in business. Happy for that.  Thumbsup

I hope they sell a zillion of them - and keep making real sport bikes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:04:06 AM by axelwik » Logged

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
SlakeMoth
misc.

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 Triumph Sprint RS
Miles Typed: 1450

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

Saw a guy on my street with one this AM, apparently brand new (along with a brand new Dainese jacket)

Dang, that thing is ugly.

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, it wasn't meant to be. If it does come back, you highsided it.
Cvergi01

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 1995 Suzuki RF900, 1982 Yamaha Maxim
GPS: Snohomish, wa
Miles Typed: 714

My Photo Gallery

I Give

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »

Withstupid

I wouldn't touch it with my ten foot penis...is fugly

waiting for stickers...
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8794

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

You didn't read any of the articles, huh? Lol
They said the bike handles outstanding. Thumbsup

Yes-I waited 4 months to reply. Bigsmile

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1453

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »

I'll be riding one of these things on Sunday...looks better in person than in pics.  I'm excited!

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
scottzilla

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX, 33hp oversized dirt bike, 08 Tuono
GPS: NY
Miles Typed: 8794

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »

I'll be riding one of these things on Sunday...looks better in person than in pics.  I'm excited!

I saw one as well and agree it's a pretty cool looking bike.

They're finding dead bodies where I ride.

The Wrath of Con Pt. 4 "One thing is for sure however, I will never publicly promote or let it be known that I am a member of STN again".
Castaway

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 V-Strom
GPS: New York
Miles Typed: 1331

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

I checked 'em out at the moto show - it seemed to me that there was one riding position only, which wouldn't be so good long-distance (referring to sport-touring potential).

I've seen the truth, and it didn't make sense.
ozmanyyy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati 900SS
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »

The president of our DOC rode one in Italy for a week, said it was one of the best out of the box Duc's he's ever ridden. HyperMotard is still his favorite. I'm hoping we get a loaner for our club ride in a few weeks.

Oz

2002 900 SS senna
1974 CB200T
New England Desmo Owners - www.nedoc.org
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13697

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »

They had one at the local italian bike day demo rides the other weekend...  On the first demo out, a young blonde woman danced with the Diavel.  I was behind her on a Dorsoduro.  I was quite impressed with her abilities, or maybe it is just a very easy bike to ride.

Here a friend of mine took it out later.  I was too busy demo riding other bikes.  The retractable pillion pegs are very trick.  Looks like a nice bike overall.

MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1453

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed my demo ride on the Diavel this past Sunday.  As vertically and inseam challenged as I am, it's a very easy bike to ride; particularly the slow speed/parking lot maneuvers.  Not surprising since I can flatfoot the bike!  I didn't know what to do with myself at first.   Bigsmile

Even with the 240 rear tire, the Diavel was quick to avoid manhole covers, potholes, and all the other city street irregularities.  I also achieved greater lean angle than I expected.

Urban mode is perfect for around town.  In Sport mode I don't think I had the opportunity to take the mill past 5 or 6k rpms, but the difference was still very noticeable.  Cool ride for sure.   Thumbsup

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »

I checked the Diavel out.  It is sweet.

Seems to me the complainers are not in the market for any new bike over $5K anyway...

Kinda like me beeyotchin over the latest Lambo..
 Razz

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
mugwump58

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3401

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »

And from one of my favorite moto journos

"...hoards of steely-eyed desperados..." stevent
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal