Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Hey Austin, Tx - Status on F1 Track  (Read 40015 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 06:18:38 am »

I may sit this one out and watch on TV.  I'm itching for a road trip in 2013 on the motorcycle to go see the MotoGP boys there.   Bigok

Let's see if they can work the bugs out in 2012 for F1.  Though I did attend the initial F1 and MotoGP races at Indy, that's a facility that know how to handle large crowds.  They've been doing it for a while.   Smile
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Dave.TX

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW K1200GT
GPS: Elgin, TX (near Austin)
Miles Typed: 87

My Photo Gallery

Whippersnapper

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »

Reading about Austin and the hotel situations got me laughing.  Lol I don't go to Austin unless I have to. The track in Elroy is in a slum area, no doubt about it. The property had to be cheap. Not sure if they're buying and removing all the 40 year old single and double wides there or not. The two 2 lane roads going in and out can't support the traffic that the track is going to demand unless they're upgraded. Once on the toll road you'll be better off.

As for hotels/motels, if you can get something that has easy access to SH 130 (the toll road) then it doesn't take too long. Also if you don't mind a drive, Bastrop is probably a good bet as a lot of the businesses there have been built up in the last decade and still in good shape. Manor only has one motel but it's only 20 minutes from Elroy via the toll. Buda and Kyle are just south on I-35 and close access to the toll also. The only east/west "highway" is 71 and that's stop 'n go through the area complete with traffic lights and Bergstrom airport just west of the track.

I'm not a fan of Austin (politics) but don't think it's a whole lot different than other towns. West is where the money is, east is where it isn't. The track is east.

Maybe I can rent out a room in my house, I'm about 10 minutes east of Manor...  

Taggart: *LePetomaine Thruway*? Now what'll that asshole think of next?
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:24 pm »

Maybe I can rent out a room in my house, I'm about 10 minutes east of Manor...  

You can bet there'll be a lot of that going on. Fortunately, I have a lot of friends and relatives in and around Austin. So I'm not worried about a place to stay.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Advertisement

bluedogok
Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: Aurora, Colorado
Miles Typed: 629

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 07:12:25 pm »

Reading about Austin and the hotel situations got me laughing.  Lol I don't go to Austin unless I have to. The track in Elroy is in a slum area, no doubt about it. The property had to be cheap. Not sure if they're buying and removing all the 40 year old single and double wides there or not. The two 2 lane roads going in and out can't support the traffic that the track is going to demand unless they're upgraded. Once on the toll road you'll be better off.

I wouldn't consider Elroy a "slum area", it is pretty much nothing but rural land with so few houses or trailers (let alone apartments) that it would be hard to find anything resembling a slum there. Kind of hard to be a slum if there are only 50 people living in 15 square miles or so. The land where the track is located had already been purchased by a developer before the bust and had planned to put something like 2,000 homes on that land, that is who they bought the land from. The development stalled going through the environmental impact process and then the bottom dropped out of the development economy. Hence why the land was available somewhat cheaply. I was hoping that it would've been a little further out 71 in Bastrop County, things always go smoother in the development business once you get the Austin-Travis County busy bodies out of their jurisdiction. There is absolutely no way this could have been built in western Travis County or even Hays County now. It would've had to have been in Blanco County or so to get done.

They have already started some work on the roads out there, odds are they will not be completed by November though, the county does nothing in any sort of hurry.

Scott
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:34 pm »

From http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/7441943/Austin-circuit-on-track

The Circuit of the Americas is well on its way to being completed in August, right on schedule, organisers have revealed.

The US Grand Prix was thrown into doubt last year when race organisers and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone were unable to agree on the financial details of the deal. The conflict caused construction on the track to be halted for a number of weeks and it was only after a last-minute resolution was found in mid-December that construction was restarted.

However, with the race date shifted from June to November, it appears that the break in construction will not prove costly, with the track expected to be finished months in advance.

"The race is on. Construction is happening six days a week," Circuit of the Americas sales officer Geoff Moore told Autosport.

"The paddock buildings are being topped off, work on the main grandstand has started and we are looking at mid-August for completion."
FJR1300

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:38 am »

NeedPics

Dave.TX

Reputation -4

My Photo Gallery

Whippersnapper

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 04:26:16 pm »

I agree that the whole process would've gone a lot smoother had it been done in Bastrop County. The city of Austin is going to do what they can to annex the property for their revenue and later bureaucratic BS. There's already news of them de-annexing Del Valle, there just isn't enough money out there for them. APD doesn't patrol much out there anyway.

Maybe slum was a poor choice for what's located east of the property on Elroy Rd? I've been out there and it ain't pretty. When they fly over the venue in the helicopters and blimps they'll be sure not to zoom in on anything east of the track or on McAngus Rd. The track will hopefully raise property values but it will never resemble Westlake Hills, not that anyone is expecting it to.

I'm reminded on where Texas Motor Speedway is and what a great venue it is. I've been to what used to be called Sears Point (now Infineon) for a NASCAR race back in the 90's. Great area, away from any city, rolling hills and nice views. Picturesque, if you will. They could have that here with some work.

DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

From http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7449634/Austin-begins-the-ticketing-process

As the Circuit of the Americas moves closer to its F1 debut, organisers have opened the ticketing process.

Starting on Monday, 23rd January and extending through to 13th February, fans wishing to attending the 2012 grand prix in Austin, Texas can join the Select Seating Wait List via the official website.

This will allow them to be first in line to purchase a 'personal seat license', which cost between $1,000 to $5,000 and entitle the holder to be given priority when purchasing tickets for all racing events at Circuit of The Americas for the next 15 years.

"We are receiving great interest in tickets every day from fans around the world," said Geoff Moore, chief marketing and sales officer for COTA.

"In order to effectively manage the demand, we have created a two-stage ticketing process to help fans better understand the opportunities available.

"We want every fan to get the ticket that is right and affordable for them. In this first stage, we are showing off the incredible entertainment experience our main grandstand offers."

The United States Grand Prix is scheduled to take place on 18th November.
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »

Feck the negativity-- I'm looking forward to a MotoGP in Austin or Elroy or whatever the heck the locals call it. I WILL be there when the bikes fire up.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:23 pm »

18th of November??

bloody 'ell...do they even have an off-season anymore?  Headscratch

satxbonneville

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500
GPS: Texas
Miles Typed: 1710

My Photo Gallery

Umm...

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 01:14:05 am »

"Personal Seat License"?

Ticketmaster must be positively green with envy.

To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.

- Dame Margaret Thatcher
Atitalongtime
Built for Comfort, adicted to Speed

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: K1200GT
GPS: North Texas
Miles Typed: 468

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »

newspaper report

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2012/02/09/official_despite_rains_work_mo.html?cxntfid=blogs_formula_austin

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak..
nnjhawk02
The Rhino - Function Over Form

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '02 VTR1000F, '11 TLD Ruckus, '02 XR100R. Past: '82 R65LS, '78 R100RS, '88 R100RT
GPS: Pa. > Former NJ Prisoner
Miles Typed: 881

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »

I may sit this one out and watch on TV.  I'm itching for a road trip in 2013 on the motorcycle to go see the MotoGP boys there.   Bigok

Let's see if they can work the bugs out in 2012 for F1.  Though I did attend the initial F1 and MotoGP races at Indy, that's a facility that know how to handle large crowds.  They've been doing it for a while.   Smile

Ditto - I too did the Indy double & was looking forward to F1 race, but due to bad cage crash last Oct, that has me still out of work & Mom's 75 BDay @ same time, I'll watch it on Speed.  But will attempt to ride to track for '13 MotoGP.  That would be a great road trip for me, going thru West Va, Kent., Tenn., Ark. - man all the sweet roads between me & Elroy  Beerchug

I especially like the uninformed comments below article...Hi Tina Teabagger

FREE Discount Prescription Card http://hta270hs.supremerxsavings.com/
R.I.P. AVO  
Relax its the internet
Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:13 pm »

Update from a week ago.

The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
FJR1300

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

Glad to know you aren't ignoring me.  Razz

Atitalongtime
Built for Comfort, adicted to Speed

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: K1200GT
GPS: North Texas
Miles Typed: 468

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 11:42:30 am »

Building topping out... Banana

http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-12-12-16-23-austins-formula-1-on-track-construction-topped-out-on-pits/

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak..
Dave.TX

Reputation -4

My Photo Gallery

Whippersnapper

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 10:10:16 am »

For recent updates check http://circuitoftheamericas.com/track

I don't care if it's MotoGP, World Superbike or AMA Superbike... I'll watch it.

satxbonneville

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500
GPS: Texas
Miles Typed: 1710

My Photo Gallery

Umm...

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »

The MotoGP may not happen. Looks like a hostage situation to me.  Rave

"Legal disputes continue to threaten the 2013 MotoGP race at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA). At issue are the acquisition of the MotoGP rights, and the multi-million dollar lawsuit of a former COTA partner against its principle investors. Caught in the middle is former Grand Prix champion Kevin Schwantz, whose dream of a Texas Grand Prix is fading into legal stalemate."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/839/12770/Motorcycle-Article/Texas-MotoGP-2013-Stalemate-Continues.aspx

To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.

- Dame Margaret Thatcher
Kneescrubber

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2012, 01:32:24 pm »

What a clusterf**k.  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal