Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: thoughts on 990 Adventure  (Read 4949 times)

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

Anyone ride/ridden one? What do you like, hate, have to put up with, etc?
Seriously considering trading the CBR in on one but just not sure?

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '08 DL650, '99 900ss, '03 ST4s, '05 WR450
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 368

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »

They're fun to ride, and if you don't mind doing or paying for a lot of maintenance then go for it. KTMs seem to break down a lot more and require more scheduled maintenance than the average Japanese bike.

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock
darkstarmoto

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 07 MTS1100S
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 115

My Photo Gallery

wrench wretch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »

One of my riding buddies has one, it's a big bike. With the bags you are kinda limited on "adventure" because they are quite wide. Otherwise it's big and comfy and has a nice power range. He rode his from eastern PA out to Indy MotoGP and it never missed a beat.

Current Beaters: 08 530EXC-R - 07 MTS1100S  - Redneck Engineering Mutant
Former Floggings: 02 VFR - 04 S4R - 01 TLR - 04 Busa - 91 FZR - 03 XB9S - 00 SV650 - 09 Speed Trip
bubba zanetti
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge 2003 DRZ400S

Reputation 54

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 5481

My Photo Gallery

Easy. I know what I'm doing… kinda ...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »

They're fun to ride, and if you don't mind doing or paying for a lot of maintenance then go for it. KTMs seem to break down a lot more and require more scheduled maintenance than the average Japanese bike.

Pretty broad statement, but to each their own.

To the OP have a look here. http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,34816.0.html

Several of us here o St.n  are converts to the KTM. I love mine and read regularly about high mileage esamples that get ridden as intended. Hard. Check ADV RIDER ORANGE CRUSH. Rad ride reports.  Ride one.  Riding one is what amazed me. Compared to my the KLR or DR it is lightyears ahead ...lightyears.

I can do my own oil chang in under an hour and will do my valves next weekend when my special tool ($7.95). arrives.

Just got in from a ride myself and if there is a funner motorcycle to ride, in so many domains and terains, I have not ridden it.

Try, research, evaluate, reflect and then buy. It may not be your bike but it is worth a look.

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '01 GS
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1626

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »

I can do my own oil change in under an hour and will do my valves next weekend when my special tool ($7.95). arrives.

An hour for an oil change is quite a bit... I hear that the oil change and filter requires the removal of a gas tank... is that true?  

I have heard the KTM's are more labor intensive, but I guess you can't have it all.

This bike is on my short list...  I had a GSA a while back, a KLR now, I like a KTM Adv is really the ticket if I can swing the coin later on.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11587

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »

An hour for an oil change is quite a bit... I hear that the oil change and filter requires the removal of a gas tank... is that true?  

I have heard the KTM's are more labor intensive, but I guess you can't have it all.

As long as you don't clean out the inline metal basket filter every oil change, you do NOT have to remove the gas tank.  And, after the initial few oil changes, the only time I plan on cleaning the inline metal basket filter is every 10k miles when the valves are adjusted.

I suppose people get the impression that the big Kaytom isn't reliable due to some initial issues the bike had with its water pump.  The late models are all good and I read report after report of people taking these bikes around the world with no issues.  Add to that the fact the build quality is amazing.  There are top shelf components all over the bike.  As for the reliability of the LC8 motor, I had my Super Duke for three years and put a lot of miles on it.  I didn't have one single issue with that bike.  Zip.

One problem some people have an issue with on the 990s is fuel mapping.  The bike can be surgey in low speed situations.  I have not experienced that on mine.

As an off road bike, this thing shines compared to its competition.  I can confidently ride this big bike anywhere I took my DR650.  And, the KTM is easier to ride off road than the DR650 due to a better suspension.

For long distance on road touring, the bike needs a few mods.  For starters, get a Renazco seat.  You'll thank me later.  It's the single best seat I have ever owned.  Also, keep in mind the bike has a 21" front 18" rear wheel set up.  This means street tire options are limited.  However, if you purchase a set of 19/17" wheels like me, you'll have the same tire choices as the big BMW GS.

So far, I LOVE this bike and I have it set up perfect for me w/ the touring seat and 19/17" wheels/tires.  

Test ride one and see what you think.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:07:48 PM by R Doug » Logged
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »

Not too worried about maint./repairs, I've owned KTM's since '97 so I am used thier "qwirks"(actually I have found them to be as reliable as Japanese bikes and perhaps even a bit more "crashworthy", but that is JMO?). Just wonder ing if it is as fun to ride as it looks? Hard to find one around here let alone get a test ride? If it is as good as the CBR for covering long miles and then able to handle fire roads/ logging trails it is what I am looking for Smile. I will still have the 300 for serious woods riding.

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11587

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »

Just wonder ing if it is as fun to ride as it looks?

Bigsmile

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,34816.msg967342.html#msg967342
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

That is what I am expeting from the 990 Thumbsup  No now to find one to ride Headscratch  

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »

The LC8 is really an evolution of the ultra-reliable Rotax V990 used by Aprilia (and now CanAm), designed by the same engineer, who left Rotax to work for KTM.
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4070

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:51:20 AM »

I can't imagine not owning one now that I have.

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5754

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »

Needs shaft drive, back massager  Embarassment
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

I prefer the gearing options with chaiin drive. As for the back massager, I can probably find one at the nearest biker bar Wink

TwoTrackinFool

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 990 Adventure , RM 250
GPS: Michigan's Thumb
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »

This bike is on my short list...  I had a GSA a while back, a KLR now, I like a KTM Adv is really the ticket if I can swing the coin later on.

I just came off a KLR ... Love it ... I just pull the skid plate and front bracket .. Don't have to touch the fuel tank ..... I also have a stainless oil filter so I don't clean it as often as the oil.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:44:28 AM by TwoTrackinFool » Logged

Neez in the Breez
Shinobi13

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 KTM 990 SMT
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

As a sportbike guy as well, I was looking at a 990 Adventure and decided to go with the SMT instead.  I preferred the handling characteristics of the dual 17" wheels versus the more dirt oriented Adventure setup.  I have ridden some fire roads on the SMT and it won't win a speed contest in the dirt compared to an Adventure, however, it handled very well and the street performance is incredible!!
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »

Wow, thread from the dead resurrected  Smile

After 2 years on the adventure (only 18k  ). I can say it was the perfect choice! I have the CBR for really ripping the twisties and my 300 for true dirt work, but the 990 does so much so well that it is usually the one I pick when it's time for a ride. As someone else said " it does everything second best but it does everything"..   I love it!

Shinobi13

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »

Damn...  I really need to look at the post dates before I open my big mouth... Lol
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

Damn...  I really need to look at the post dates before I open my big mouth... Lol

No problem I'm always happy for an opportunity to tell people how well I like it  Wink

I used to think a guy needed 3bikes, while 3 is great I think 5 would be better Bigsmile

expatbrit

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1224

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

As a sportbike guy as well, I was looking at a 990 Adventure and decided to go with the SMT instead.  I preferred the handling characteristics of the dual 17" wheels versus the more dirt oriented Adventure setup.  I have ridden some fire roads on the SMT and it won't win a speed contest in the dirt compared to an Adventure, however, it handled very well and the street performance is incredible!!

So when are you bringing that thing to Coffee at Dawn for me to drool on?  Smile
Shinobi13

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »

Done...  good meeting you, Charlie!!!! Bigsmile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal