Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Honda 919 Spark Plug Removal  (Read 4006 times)

Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Honda 919
GPS: Eastern Western MA
Miles Typed: 649

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »

So I went to replace the spark plugs on my 9er....  Shop manual says to raise the tank, check.  next remove the radiator bolts and slide forward, (doesn't say you have disconnect the upper radiator hose but there is no other way so get to it), check.  ok, easy to pull the wires and the plugs on cylinders 1 and 4, check.  2 and 3 OTOH  Mad2

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't enough room to pull the plug wires halfway out of the port before hitting the frame!  I am very frustrated with this, I don't see any way to get to the #2 or #3 plug without droppong the motor out of the frame.  I'm frustrated and going to bed.  If you have any ideas or if the magical mechanic gnomes could visit my garage and magically change out the plugs it'd be appreciated.

and here's a picture of the frame, the engine is a stressed member and it doesn't look like I could just swing it down around the rear motor mount, I think I may have to drop the whole thing.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l606/khuffy919/919frame.jpg

Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »

Shame you're not closer. I'd do it for you.

1) the plug connectors  will bend and flex. They're just big rubber tubes. They may be stiff and aged and tight, but they WILL bend.

2) Using the factory spark plug socket, you'll be able to get the plugs out. If you try to use a conventional automotive socket, you'll likely never get it, or end up kicking the bike over. If you don't have the factory tool kit's plug socket, stop. Put it back together and order it from your HOnda dealer, look on eBay or see if you can borrow one here on ST.N.

Thanks for the response, the plug connectors don't bend that much but maybe I was being too gentle with it, after I slept on it I am willing to give it another try.  I don't have the factory plug socket, It wasn't in the regular tool kit that came with the bike.  How is the factory one different from mine?  is it a whole wrench / ratchet assembly?

Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »

Just guessing, but I bet it has thinner walls than an automotive plug socket.
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S, '13 Volvo/ISX15 Cummins
GPS: The lower 48
Miles Typed: 7514

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »

Just guessing, but I bet it has thinner walls than an automotive plug socket.

Ya, probably some cheap pot-metal thing with a couple of holes in it for the rod they call the "breaker bar", but it's the only tool that works to get the plugs out.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »

If I recall correctly, on the XX the only way to get the plugs out were with the factory wrench/socket that came in the tool bag. I'd be willing to wager the same is true for yours. Would be ridiculous to have to drop the engine from the frame.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
ducsbill

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ducati MTS 1100S, '05 Ducati ST3
GPS: Rantoul, Il
Miles Typed: 213

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

Sounds similar to the problem on some Ducatis.  One plug on my ST3 lives in a smaller diameter hole than the others and is also partially blocked by part of the frame.  A standard plug socket won't fit that one plug hole but will work for the other three.  Since I wanted a better quality socket than the one in the tool kit I had a machinist friend turn down one for me.
Bill W.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it.", Yogi Berra
'07 Ducati MTS 1100S, Black
'05 Ducati ST3, Black
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:00:38 AM »

All right, I definitely need the special wrench then.  When did they stop including all the tools you need in the factory tool pouch?   Thumbsdown

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »

All right, I definitely need the special wrench then.  When did they stop including all the tools you need in the factory tool pouch?   Thumbsdown

Weird, like you said, the shop manual for that bike makes no mention of a special tool needed. Just the steps you mentioned above like moving the radiator out of the way. Might need to ask a honda tech

www.ledrider.com
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »

Looked it up in the owner's manual and there is supposed to be a spark plug wrench in the tool kit.  I bought my bike used and it must have disappeared before I bought it.....  Dealer told me the tool kit was complete but that's another story.......

Made a few calls and one of my buddies from back home knew a guy who totalled his 919.....  long story short, guy was a pack rat, never threw away anything, and didn't want anything for his tool kit.  A lot of running around, and I owe a couple of favors but I got the wrench.  Attempt number 2 coming up.

In case you're wondering what it looked like, I know I was curious
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l606/khuffy919/2011-04-25_10-06-38_554.jpg

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

Cool, glad you found one, and that is the exact same wrench that the XX had as well. It was the only way to get the plugs out. Crossing my fingers that round two goes better Smile

www.ledrider.com
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »

Done, from seat removal to re-installation was 40 minutes.  Amazing when you have the right tool and the confidence of 'ok, it was impossible last time because I didn't have the correct wrench, I am not incompetant'.  Feels good to get that done, time for a brew and a good book.   Cool

Thanks for the advice, I won't hesitate to ask more dumb questions.

TuffguyF4i

Reputation -140

Motorcycles: '02 F4i, '99 1100xx, '04 GSXR 750
GPS: Syracuse, NY
Miles Typed: 2762

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »

Cool, glad you found one, and that is the exact same wrench that the XX had as well. It was the only way to get the plugs out. Crossing my fingers that round two goes better Smile

Yup.....for $15/plug you don't want to drop them either!!   Lol

Eventually the people rise as the people always do, and the government exerts it's power in the form of totalitarian rule to violently squash the revolution.  Then you will know it is too late.
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »

Unfortunately I've seen way too many "experienced" people answer questions like yours with insults and with deriding comments and with cockiness borne of being an "expert at everything". Never be afraid to ask - but always be willing to ignore the pricks.

+1 - I'm no expert either, I just happened to have had the same issue with a Honda bike before Smile

www.ledrider.com
vr4

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 919, r1, kx125
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »

Anyone in the boston area that wound consider loaning me the spark plug tool for a few hours Smile ?

I dont have one...
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »

I'm a couple hours from Boston.  Check out Wristtwisters.com.  All 919 all the time and there is a bunch of guys in the Boston area.  Good Luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal