Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Who has kids? How does this effect your riding habits?  (Read 15246 times)

STalker

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '06 FJR, deceased; '11 Triumph Tiger 800
GPS: Newington,CT
Miles Typed: 363

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:59 pm »

I gave up riding when my first son was 2 yrs. old, partly for economic reasons but mostly because I couldn't justify taking off every weekend and leaving the family home. I had a bike and a boat, sold the bike, kept the boat. Never really regreted the decision. As the boys got older and more independant I started thinking about riding again. I bought a Triumph Trophy in 2005 and my riding time has increased each year since. My youngest turned 18 TODAY, hard to believe it went by so fast. While I really enjoy the freedom to ride that I have now, I'd give up riding in a second if I could have those little boys back. Inlove

Bad decisions make good stories.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

mbishara

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 Concourse 14 Black
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »

I just bought a GSX 650F. I'm a new rider and this is something that I've been thinking about a lot now. I have three young children at home (8, 6 & 3) so I'll probably be mainly an early morning weekend rider (7 AM to 10 AM) and solo commuter during the week.

I'll try to take at least one or two Multi day trips per year (three days max). A first people were asking me why I wanted to d this when I have three young children at home but I don't think that you should stop everything that you want to do when you're raising a family. Enjoy, have a good time but be safe. It's also important to take some time for yourself every once in a while.

D-Mac

Reputation 21

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Mid-Michigan
Miles Typed: 1128

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »

Married with two kids - 9 and 6.

When I got into riding about about 6 years ago, my wife was cautious at first (after years of being anti-motorcycle). She's come around a LOT since then, and now encourages me to ride instead of driving, and she'll even hop on the back once in a while (that didn't stop her from taking out a massive life-insurance policy on my 2 days after I bought my first bike!) Thankfully I have a flexible job that gives me a lot of time to ride during the week, as weekends are often busy with the family.

I can usually work in one longer trip (3-8 days) per year. I'll manage about 3-4 weeks away this summer for the IBR. My wife isn't thrilled about it (and it will be tough on the kids), but she realizes it's a dream of mine and she's been very supportive about me doing it.

I think that riding is a little selfish, but we need time to do the things that make us happy. I'm probably a lot easier to life with after I've had a couple of hours to work on or ride a bike.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:01:03 pm by D-Mac » Logged

IBA#443 ('11 IBR finisher)
Advertisement

MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 09:09:40 pm »

I have two daughters 8 and 12. Both ride with me and I did not give them much of a choice when I was bike only for 4 years straight. (wife had car) The youngest loves it but the older one thinks it is a hassle some times to get all geared up. (both girls have full ATGATT)

The wife would ride pillion all the time when we were dating and before kids. Now she does not much at all.

I ride alot during the week and take the bike on business/fun trips as much as possible. Since I have this opportunity to ride during the week I try to spend my weekends at home. I do plan a couple weekend getaways per year too however.

I travel for work so they have become pretty independent when I am not around.  Shrug

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »

Have 2 girls, 12 & 14. definately reduced the time I have to spend riding, but din't really change the way I ride. Of course I grew up in a family that rode so it seems perfectly normal to all involved. They both rode down the sidewalk in my tank bag when they were one  Smile

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
ST for me!

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: ZX14 and Connie 14
Miles Typed: 356

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »

Interfering with my riding time is the #1 reason I chose not to reproduce, that and I hate kids...

I like to ride...
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

When my daughter was very young I would often get up at sunrise early on a Sunday and ride. I would always come home with a treat for my girls from a great bakery along the way and made a point of planning a fun afternoon. The treat became a bit of a ritual and something they looked forward to.
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 10:41:25 pm »

We've got a one year old; Maggie just got her bike out for the first time since September.  I haven't ridden for a few months; driving to daycare and dropping off the kid, then changing into gear to moto a few miles just isn't worth it to me.

Instead, I've been bicycling a bunch and just picked up a Burley trailer to haul the kiddo behind.  Sure I miss riding, but that will come back.  In the meantime, I've been riding to work and hitting up singletrack in the snow to learn how to drift a 'cross bike on both ends.   Smile

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
Major 662

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: BMW K1300S
GPS: Boise, ID
Miles Typed: 831

My Photo Gallery

...previously Bender...

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 12:01:07 am »

When I've got my kids, I'd rather pull the top off the Jeep and bring 'em with me.  When I don't, then it's time to ride.  I've never changed my riding style, though.

Onward
2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '04 R1150RT
GPS: Apex, NC
Miles Typed: 1258

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 12:01:27 am »

Interesting thread.  Five kids; 20, 17, 13, 11, and 7.  Married 21 years and the wife has a total of maybe an hour and a half of pillion time.  Not her thing at all but she doesn't begrudge my passion - I think mainly because the bikes have been around longer than she has and she knows I'd be a bigger prick without one.   Maintaining the riding status is probably healthier for the family life since it's my therapy.

I've always been mainly a commuter with an occasional afternoon thrown in so my riding habits haven't changed much over the years.  The multi day trips will come later.

RIP
'04 R1150R '05 Speed Triple  '05 Duc ST3   '99 ZRX1100 x 2
'02 883C   '98 PC800    '82 JX750J Maxim  '82 GS650L
coolie569

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Sprint ST, 1994 Yamaha SecaII
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 08:40:07 am »

Looks like i'm in the minority here. But my wife and kids don't ride, have no interest in riding, in fact my starting to ride was a huge argument between me and my wife for quite some time. I assured her that I loved my life, I love her and the kids and I loved living and had no interest in doing anything stupid that would shorten my life on this planet.

I took the MSF, wear ATGATT,  increased the health insurance to 500,000 and she seems to have started to warm up to my riding. In fact now when the sun is shining in the morning she looks at me like i'm crazy if I'm not taking the bike out and instead take the car.  Headscratch

I ride very conservative, don't ride in adverse weather, barely ride at night because of Bambi and friends, and have not taking any long trips just yet. But i'm itching to do so.

I love riding but I love my wife and kids enough to compromise.
LadyNinja

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Ninja 650
Miles Typed: 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:25 am »

Jay547 and I both have daughters that ride on the back age 14 and 16. They are taking the motorcycle classes this weekend. They both have learned on my dirt bike. One of my other daughters age 21 also has learned to ride on my dirt bike. She wasnt able to sign up in time for the class. She really likes to ride. Too bad she broke her wrist riding, she just got the cast off 3 days ago. She wants to get back to riding again. Jays other older daughter age 18 used to race motocross. My other twin 21 yr old doesnt ride, but she did like the ride I gave her on my bike.
Espada

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Red
GPS: The PWC
Miles Typed: 311

My Photo Gallery

OOOOOH YEEEEAH!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 11:18:07 am »

If my wife and I decide to have childeren.  I might seriously consider a Ural.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:42:33 pm by Espada » Logged

Do I believe in the almighty?  Of course I do!  What can possibly be more more almighty than myself?

Yup, I am an alien in a space suit, riding a big red bird.  Blind faith is an ironic gif
Gun Slinger
The Black Stig ===o&o>

Reputation -2

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 94 Ninja ZX-11 Woo Hoo & 03 Ninja 250 Lil' Green Monster
GPS: SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF WESTERN COLORADO
Miles Typed: 484

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »

I love to ride and have sense I was about 7 years old. I've got a wonderful 18 year old that has grown up watching dad ride her whole life. And has ridden with me on different occasions over the years.
She and her mother know how much it means to me to be on 2 wheels. They both know and agree that
we all have an appointment with our maker and none of us know that date or time.

We live life to the fullest and try not to tempt fate on any regular basis. The wife has been a passenger her whole life and for about 2 years now, has had the itch to be on her own machine. The Plannets came into alignment and we were able to get her her own bike this week. Do I worry about her??? SURE! But seeing the smile on her face when she pulls off that helmet... is priceless.

Biking Sailor

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Tenere 1200, Tenere 700 and XT250. My wife's FJ09 and MT09 that I get to ride occasionally
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1291

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »

When my two sons started riding...  That's when I started questioning how I rode, example and all.

When they were little, was pretty much only riding off road bikes.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
karlfitt

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW R 1100 S, 2016 R 1200 RS, 2001 Kawasaki KLX 300, 2004 KTM 400 RXC, 1999 Ducati 900 SS
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 399

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »

The only reason kids changed my riding was money.

Sold my Suzuki GS 750 to buy nursery stuff.

Didn't have a bike again for 5 years. After that riding as normal.

My wife (ex now) used to ride but stopped when she had our first.

Still took a motorcycle vacation every year. Went to Laguna Seca and took a week to get home.

Now I have dirt bike for my littlest kids (my older one had a Honda oddysey, not really a bike but) so we all ride in the dirt.

Now vacation time comes into it.
Last few years i have taken a week to get to Laguna Seca and a week back home.
My ex and the kids now live in another state, so i use my vacation time with them, can't use it for the road trip. Sad

<P>
"Loud Clutches save lives"
http://karlsgarage.com/pictures/states.jpg
Jet Jock

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 97 ST1100 (gone), 2010 Concours 14, Yamaha VStar (wife's, now sold), CRF450 mx-er, 81 Maico 490 the greatest mx bike of all time!
Miles Typed: 178

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 07:08:25 am »

One daughter, now grown and with her own bike . . . and a healthy respect for riding with ALL the gear.

I never quit riding (and continued to race motocross) but our long road trips ended because we have no family in this area and no one to look after her when we traveled. I was lucky to put a 1000 miles per year on my ST1100 for a decade, since I work only 3 miles away from the house.  

Now have new Concours and at least one solo trip planned this summer. Daughter and boyfriend (a new rider) are discussing various shorter road trips.  Bigok
knuckledonkey
Terminal Zythophile

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ninja 1000
GPS: Sonoma Wine Country
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Not all those who wander are lost.

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 11:35:05 am »

This is awesome. For the most part, I agree and respect the way everyone balances two of their great loves in life.

There is nothing more important in my life than my family. Regardless of whether I have small or grown kids or none at all, I feel I have a responsibility to the ones that love me and I that I love back.

I've not had a bike to ride since August, so I need to get my ride on soon. Although my son could probably reach the rear pegs, I don't know that I am ready to take him for a ride.

Hopefully I will get to hear more insight from everyone.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 11:55:56 am »

It definitely has an effect on the time I have to go on longer rides. I try to take a kid with me for shorter/fun rides. But I usually only do one overnighter a year now. I do feel like I ride more conservatively.

IMO a person who is unwilling to make any compromises to his/her personal enjoyment/time/hobbies/whatever shouldn't be married or have kids. Marriage and parenthood should always be first priority. Compromises are inevitable.

1K, you've pretty much summed it up in this post.   Thumbsup  Grasping one choice often means letting go of another; life is like that.  For me, marriage and kids were a fantastic choice.  But then I can't go riding every weekend, and that's OK.

When my kids were little I had little time to ride and even brought up selling my motorbike (a Honda CBR1000F) a few times.  My wife always told me not to do it.  "You love riding," she'd say.  "And having the bike isn't a problem.  We have the room and it doesn't cost very much to keep it around."

2003 was when I really got back into riding.  I sold the CBR and bought a Yamaha R1, and then about eight months later a BMW R1100S "for two-up riding" but mainly because I'm a bike ho.

My girls are now 17 and 13.  My eldest started riding with me when she was 9 and my youngest when she was 8.  They've got their own helmets and gloves and over time I've added to the girls' gear stash when I see one of thse ridiculous sales at New Enough (Teknic women's leather jackets for $69??  Crazy).

As far as riding style is concerned, I've slowed down a bit but it's age related, not dependent related.  I was never in the fast group at the track.  Shrug

I encourage my kids to take the MSF Beginner Course, but as of yet my eldest has not elected to do so.  Whether or not they want to ride, I'd like them to try it out, see if it fits them.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 844

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 02:26:51 pm »

Married, 2 kids, boys 14 and my daughters turning 12. Me, i love flying through the woods on the Gas-Gas or the Husky, knee down and fastish on road, Race pace(for a middle aged guy) on the YFZ-450. Getting married or having kids didn't change me doing what I love. I wear all the protective gear that"s appropriate for the ride and try not to exceed my limits. My wife has nothing to do with motorcycles or 4 wheelers personally but supports my addiction. The boy likes 4 wheelers and not bikes, where did I go wrong Bigsmile. My daughter likes to go for rides on the Valky and the Strom. We go on father daughter moto camping trips and have a great time. My wife knew that I'd been riding since I was 7 and my kids have known nothing but a garage full of bikes and 4 wheelers so don't think anything of it. For me, all is well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal