Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Who has kids? How does this effect your riding habits?  (Read 9901 times)

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »

An article on one of my dirtbiking buddies:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_babae50c-4477-11e0-8199-001cc4c03286.html

He tells me if he had it to do over he would still choose to ride.

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
MCRyder

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 Aprilia Shiver 750, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
Miles Typed: 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »

I find myself riding faster, to stay ahead of my 20 year old son on his FZ1  EEK!  Lol
blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2007 R1200GS - Just the one now
GPS: Beech Mountain, North Carolina
Miles Typed: 1627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

An article on one of my dirtbiking buddies:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_babae50c-4477-11e0-8199-001cc4c03286.html

He tells me if he had it to do over he would still choose to ride.

Well, probably not THAT day.  Good to see he has a lot of courage.  I wish him well.

en arch hn o logos
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »

Well, probably not THAT day.  Good to see he has a lot of courage.  I wish him well.

He is an inspiration and his wife (who I never really cared for) has turned out to be an amazing woman. what "can happen" is all too close for me now, but I can;'t change what I love to do????

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »

Two kids; now grown and ride themselves. I never stopped riding-- rode to my Lamaze classes while pregnant. When the kids were very little, rode at night when they were in bed, just to get a bit of time on 2 wheels. When they got big enough to reach the pegs, rode with them as passengers.  Riding was important to me, and I never bought into the 'You can't risk' idea. Just was as careful as I normally was.

Here's my younger son on his latest acquisition - bought on STN!  Bigsmile

I've a 3-month old granddaughter now. Can't wait to introduce her to the joys of motorcycling.

Clap That is all kinds of awesome-o. I can't wait until my little peanut is old enough to get her a little PW50.

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1156

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »

I have two kids.... 8 and 5.  I just got my license last Augut at age 40.  I should have my bike in five weeks and hopefully I'll be able to ride one day per weekend.
mbishara

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 Concourse 14 Black
Miles Typed: 73

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

The main issue is arranging for the time to ride. With three young ones in the house time is limited for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BradleyRas
ZZR Pilot

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 02 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200
GPS: South Central PA- LoPaxTwp
Miles Typed: 691

My Photo Gallery

Is it time to ride yet?

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »

Funny, this is a topic that has been surfacing in my mind a lot lately.  I have two girls, 3 and 8 months. Over the past two years, I put more miles on the stroller than the ZZR. No regrets though. My family is important to me. I am selling the ZZR and will replace it with something else a lot less lethal.

I have, however,  been riding a lot more conservatively and I am much more aware of my surroundings. With that said, I don't enjoy riding like I used to. I used to take several over night/long weekend getaways and at least once a year a 5 day trip. Those days are over for me.

I will always have a motorcycle though...maybe dirt, maybe supermoto, maybe antique, maybe an ATV....

This is a ZZR-1200, there are many like it, but this one is mine!
KeithB

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: Concours14, ZX-10R
GPS: Central Iowa
Miles Typed: 117

My Photo Gallery

old quiet guy

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

I never stopped, but changed my habits to replace commuting with a car to a bike.  Nights and weekends, the bike never left the garage because that was family time.

I still took a one long bike trip each year.  Sometimes it was alone, sometimes with the wife, and sometimes with one of my girls when they were big enough.  By the time they were 12, they'd seen more of the USA from the bike than most of their classmates had seen in a book.

I did pay more attention while riding, didn't stunt, and felt I owed it to all of them to always wear a helmet. Always.

Now I have grandkids that are almost big enough to start......  Bigsmile

Get there quickly, safely, without ruffling feathers, and without getting caught.
Meemuh

Reputation 135

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 1981 XS650, 2000 Concours
GPS: Holland, MI
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

Didn't start riding until after all three kids were out - so I can't say if my habits would have changed or not.  All I know is that they all beg to ride.  Wife pillions occasionally, and wants to ride more as they get older.  Biggest thing is just being so busy - you have to make time...but I'm green lighted for a couple long weekends.  It also gives incentive to get stuff done during the week so weekends can be spent out 'n about.
JavaD

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »

Married for over 12 years when first one came along. Had done the racing thing, long-distance riding thing, and so did the wife.  She rode up until 2nd trimester, belly got in the way of the tank and she couldn't close her riding pants  Lol

Little dude was born, I'd soothe him with sounds of triples and fours (which the wife rode in the 1st and 2nd trimesters); twins and singles had no effect.

As for change, it's made me become more aware of everything, and to be the example he can look at for community service, constant education, and to live with humor.

It's changed us as we now plan ahead for who's riding, and who's driving.  Truck is setup with ReadyRamp, Softopper, two sport chocks, Recaro kids seat, and a bag which carries the kids food & diapers, along with the two dog's food, water, & doo-doo bags.  We jokingly refer to the truck as the "mothership", and the motorcycle as the "shuttlecraft".

Current record is Two adults, two dogs, one kid in the truck cab; two bikes, one EZUp, one gear bag, one stroller, and one Pac-n-Play in truck bed.
ia sprint

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW K1200GT
Miles Typed: 67

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

Late to riding for me.  Bought my first street bike two years ago, Sprint ST, a year later bought the K1200lt, mainly so the kids/wife could ride along.  My daughter is 16, son 14, and daughter 9.  The 16 year old is my number one passenger on 1-2 hour rides around the area.  We're planning to give moto-camping a try this summer.  As was said early, it's really nice when your teenage daughter talks to you, even over the intercom.   Smile

My wife is a very infrequent passenger and not much into bikes at all.  But, she's understanding and supports me getting some rides in, at least once I lived through the first month.  I'll second the bike as therapy.  I think I'm easier to be around after some time on the bike.  Stress from work seems to melt away.  I'm planning to try my hand at a couple rallies this summer, but the busy schedule of the family comes first.

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4213

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 12:13:07 AM »

Glad this thread got resurrected.  It's encouraging to read.  Thumbsup Bigok

Hockey season starts April 18!  Riding season starts as soon as I get a babysitter. Any takers?
07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 363

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »

Glad this thread got resurrected.  It's encouraging to read.  Thumbsup Bigok

Agreed.  Thumbsup

I have 2 kids; 2 boys, ages 3 and 6.
I tend to be more aware now of the risk Iím putting myself in whether it be through not enough gear or reckless ďfunĒ or whatever. Itís hard to say if thatís from having kids or just getting older/wiser (Iím 32 now- out of those reckless 20ís). I like to think itís from the kids though. I do find myself considering them before I do anything stupid.  Crazy

Me personally, Iíve been on 2 wheels, in one shape or form, for probably close to 20 years now. I really started riding street about 10-12 years ago (shortly after getting married). My wife has been VERY understanding in this whole thing and often encourages me to take rides to ďdetoxĒ from time to time. Itís very therapeutic for me and she understands that.  Inlove  She tried riding herself for a while, and she enjoyed it, but ultimately she takes care of getting the kids to school/preschool, babysitters, ect in the morning (I leave for work before anyone else is even out of bed) and riding became a ďhassleĒ for her to try to fit in to the busy schedule. I imagine she may try it again later when the kids are older.

Iíve been trying to fit in a long-ish trip (3-4 days) every year and have managed 3 or 4 of them now. Iíve found that I LOVE traveling by bike and itís really become a passion in my life. With the 2 youngíuns, the financial responsibility, and a modest income it can be tough at times though.  Sad Still, I have been averaging 6-8000mi a year for the past several years and I donít see my riding tapering off significantly.

Kids have definitely affected my riding but not in a negative manner. I wouldnít change it for anything though. Those boys are the pride and joy of my life and I hope and pray that one day I can share my riding passion with them. My dream is a father/son/son cross country trip someday.  Inlove

insert witty saying here.
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 795

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »

Two kids. My son just turned 5 and my daughter will be 7 in month. My daughter has been riding with me quite a bit lately, nothing over an hour (side note: it's a lot of work putting together a set of riding gear for a young child). I headed out on my own Friday and it was pretty weird not having my riding buddy chattering in my ear.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
greywolf

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 FJR 1300 , 2007 HD FLHX 103
GPS: Duluth, Ga
Miles Typed: 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:56 AM »

I took a hiatus while the kids were young , started back when my youngest was 11.  While I've taken both for rides , it's my daughter that loves it .
She has Ducati dreams , I told her to work hard and she will realize them someday.
zenduddhist

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Muffin Man

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »

The more kids you have, the more riding you need!  I have 5 kids and I ride about 20,000 miles per year.  So, I would say you need roughly 4,000 miles per kid...

1969 Triumph Bonneville, 1972 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, 1975 Norton Commando, 2010 Bonneville T-100 w/CSM Sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100
LENSMAN

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: '04 SV650, '97 Honda Blackbird
GPS: Montgomery County, Pa.
Miles Typed: 843

My Photo Gallery

NOW YOU CAN HAVE IT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

In my case, ATGATT and plenty of term life insurance, plus no stupid moves on the bike.  Shrug

BE PREPARED
Hambonee

Reputation 37

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW GS 1200
GPS: Kenmore, WA
Miles Typed: 443

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »

In my case, ATGATT and plenty of term life insurance, plus no stupid moves on the bike.  Shrug

+1  Thumbsup

I went to the psychiatrist, and he says "You're crazy " I tell him I want a second opinion. He says, "Okay, you're ugly too!" (Rodney Dangerfield)
Bruce Bogtrotter

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2013 CBR600RA
GPS: So. Cal.
Miles Typed: 253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

I'm not a conservative rider (a bit crashy), so I couldn't justify the risks after having the first of 2 kids. Was tough to let the motorcycle go at first.

2016 is when the youngest turns 18, and when I go back to motorcycles with my full attention and with a clear conscience. Maybe at 50 I won't bounce as well, but my right wrist might be a little less spastic.

In the meantime, my motorcycle pacifier (bicycle, 5K miles a year) has kept me more or less happy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal