Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print

Topic: Man in truck attempts to run motorcyclist off the road, on video  (Read 47010 times)

Burners
Frozen Canuck

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 08 ZX14SE
GPS: Calgary
Miles Typed: 395

My Photo Gallery

Stumbling through life one brainfart at a time...

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 06:03:04 pm »

I would gladly pay the fine for passing on the double yellow as long as the fucker who tried to kill me pays his price too...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

TriumphTiger1050
Taming the Tiger

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
GPS: Asheville, NC
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

2007 Tiger 1050

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 06:07:19 pm »

The guy in the truck I almost gurantee you was trying to block the rider but under estimated the acceleration of a bike and the speed that can be attained so quickly.

As far as weapon............looked to be either a tire tool or piece of steel.

Like most posters have hinted..............they both broke a few laws but still did not give the trucker the right to play speed police.  Leave the police work to the police.  Just get his tag and now most states have road rage laws.  Plain and simple.

Moral to this video to me, If you don't like the vehicle speed in front of you, wait to pass legally or pull over and take a break and let the snail get way ahead of you.  I call it "Chillaxin"!

Former rides: 2002 Honda Shadow 750; 2003 Honda VTX 1300; 2007 Suzuki DL650.
2wTraveler

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Triumph Daytona 955i
GPS: Atlanta area
Miles Typed: 1166

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »

Well..what did the Cops say when they arrived?

AMA, IBA 33154
Well I've been here, And I've been there, And I've been every f***ing where, So what...so what  -Anti-Nowhere League 1981
Advertisement

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »

I would gladly pay the fine for passing on the double yellow as long as the fucker who tried to kill me pays his price too...

+1, it's like an $80 ticket with 2 points here. Can easily get the DA to reduce it to a no point violation. Worth the time to make the f'cker pay.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
three west

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
GPS: Mad town, WI
Miles Typed: 567

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »

A couple of other thoughts.

1. Why keep following a vehicle that is obviously willing and capable of killing you?
2. Why confront the driver after it is obvious the person is irrational and dangerous?
3. Why would you then report the situation when your only evidence also will very likely prove you have yourself committed traffic violations?

#1 your buddy is in front of that truck, and it appears the truck is trying very hard to catch your buddy, and....run him down?  I wouldn't leave him.

#2 yeah, I agree, but you know, adrenaline, and somebody just tried to kill you and all
#3 cagers violations are quite a bit worse, and its objective, but as mentioned earlier, might even be legal to pass a slow moving vehicle
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:05 pm »

Piece of shit f-ing redneck. One of the reasons many around here carry when they ride.

Yeah, brandishing a firearm would'nt have escalated the situation at all.  Rolleyes

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
KagA152

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 FZ1, 08 WR250R
GPS: Roscoe, IL
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:04 pm »

Out riding the backroads in WI, doing my normal five over, I had a country boy in a F150 that would swerve onto the shoulder throwing gravel everywhere when I would get near him.  I wasnt going to attempt a pass since it was a rather hilly road, so I just pulled over and turned around, not worth dealing with some moron like this, especially since I was by myself.

I would have to say KY is least favorite place to ride, and I havent rode much down there.  But the people look at you funny when you ride one of dem dere ninja bikes.  I would bet if it was a bagger with no exhaust, a drunk pilot, and a large woman in a tank top, the guy in the truck would have just stayed in his lane and dreamed of the day he could be like that.
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »

I'm guilty of passing on the double yellow a time or two  EEK! but I never ever do what the first rider did. He approached the truck at a much faster speed and passed the truck immediately. I NEVER do that!
I always follow the vehicle in front of me for a while for the following reasons:
1. I want them to know that I'm behind them so if and when I do pass they won't be startled.
2. This gives them a chance to either
    2a turn off the road,
    2b use a slow traffic pull off
    2c wave me by
If and when I do pass I use my turn signal to pull out and to pull back into the lane, and I give a friendly wave after the pass is complete.

I have come up behind vehicles that start swerving or accelerating wildly and I'll just back off or stop for a while as TriumphTiger1050 suggested. Some times you come up behind a local and they'll speed up to stay ahead of you, I could still pass but I'll stay behind them even if we come to a legal passing zone, do I really want this nut behind me?
In the mountains of East TN, Western NC, Upstate SC and N. Georgia where I ride most of the locals know about motorcycles, they know we want to pass them, if shown a few minutes of patience it amazes me how many will either wave you around or pull over. Sure there are some locals who don't like the bikes and just won't budge and must be passed, but it's the out of state tourists that really don't know what you want and speed up in the straights only to get on the brakes in the corners and seem agitated that you won't back off.

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
Paco23

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1985 V45 Magna, 1989 1000 Ninja, 2003 Bandit
GPS: Kentucky
Miles Typed: 140

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »

I would have to say KY is least favorite place to ride, and I havent rode much down there.  But the people look at you funny when you ride one of dem dere ninja bikes.  I would bet if it was a bagger with no exhaust, a drunk pilot, and a large woman in a tank top, the guy in the truck would have just stayed in his lane and dreamed of the day he could be like that.
[/quote]

Then by all means.... Stay in MI/WI.  Since you "Haven't ridden much down there".

You couldn't be more wrong.  I'll keep great roads and people to myself.  Nothing to see here, keep going.  The "Gap" is only a hundred more miles South.... Shrug

edit:

Latest info from the interweb.....  (not that I believe it YET)  And YES....  We have our fair share of rednecks down here Bash  

"The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail. That's unlikely but he will likely see a felony conviction and jail time for his life threatening antics."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:04:07 pm by Paco23 » Logged

"Go punch your mother for giving birth to you"  Chornbe
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:59:08 pm »

What's with the douche hillbilly in the pickup thinking?  Is he really that upset that motorcyclists want to pass him and he feels he has to be Barney Fife and endanger their life to prevent them from possibly breaking the speed limit.  That dumbass needs the shit beat out of him.  firedevil

Latest info from the interweb.....  (not that I believe it YET)  And YES....  We have our fair share of rednecks down here Bash

"The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail. That's unlikely but he will likely see a felony conviction and jail time for his life threatening antics."

Figures the moron was drunk ... and then he calls the cops on his cell phone - brilliant!    Lol  Too bad he didn't lose it in a corner and roll his truck about 6 times.   And thankfully he didn't kill anyone coming the other way while he was in blind corners in the wrong lane.  They must of used the guys video to prosecute the idiot.  Thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:05:07 pm by Busa@11K » Logged

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 09:03:23 pm »

Well, where do I start?  1st off, I don't live on that road but live close enough to it that I could ride it everyday if I wanted to.  2nd, it is one of the best roads I have ever ridden, including Deal's Gap, the Snake, 16 in Virginia, several in WV, NC, Tenn., Ga and elsewhere.  The video shows only a small part of the road and certainly doesn't do it justice.  It is 22 in NoKy, specifically the section from the Pendelton Co line to Willow, in Braken Co.  They are heading east.  There are no passing zones in this road, but there are places where you can see far enough ahead to make a safe pass.  The riders are out on an early Sunday morning as evidenced by the cars parked along the road at the Neave Christian Church.  Traffic is usually lighter tha usually during this time. It is by far the most poular road for riders in the Greater Cincinnati area and most weekends it has pretty consistent bike traffic.  However, it is NOT a main traffic road for people in the area since it pretty much, at least on the side shown, goes from the county seat to nowhere.  Mostly just used by people that live on it or out in the area it goes through.  3rd, I don't know ( nor does anyone here ) know how fast the truck or riders where going.  The road, in the area shown, does have a 55 mph speed limit.  Many of the curves are marked for 30-35, some even lower, but those are suggested speeds not legal limits.  Most of the curves I feel quite comfortable running at 55 on my bike, but not all.  When driving them I do not do near that speed on most.  In my experience, MOST drivers run that road at 40-45 and slow down to 30-35 on the curves, sometimes even slower.  It can get quite frustrating following someone like that mile after mile, even when I'm in my truck, especially when on a bike.  There are NO pull-offs on that road and in all my years of riding it I have only 2-3x had someone wave me by.  More often the drivers drive the way the driver in the truck did......cutting off curves and speeding up in the semi-straight areas.....if not as fast or erratic as he did.  

Don't get me wrong.....I DO NOT condone using this stretch of road, or any road, as a racetrack.  I have gotten into arguments with some area riders over this very idea.  I try to remind them that it could be my wife or another relative or friend of mine that they are annoying with aggressive erratic riding.  Many, many people out here know that I am a rider, and know me and my bikes.  I am very active in the community and will ride to many meetings and events when I can, so they see me on my bike often.  I have NEVER had anyone out here complain to me about the number of riders using this, any other area roads.  In fact, the vast majority of the locals welcome the riders and realize how much money they spend in the area during the summer.  It is a very small and vocal minority that seem to be offended and annoyed.  iMO the driver of the PU had nothing to be annoyed about, he was just acting like an idiot.  I'd like to see him charged and taken off the road.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Paco23

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1985 V45 Magna, 1989 1000 Ninja, 2003 Bandit
GPS: Kentucky
Miles Typed: 140

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »

Well, where do I start?  1st off, I don't live on that road but live close enough to it that I could ride it everyday if I wanted to.  2nd, it is one of the best roads I have ever ridden, including Deal's Gap, the Snake, 16 in Virginia, several in WV, NC, Tenn., Ga and elsewhere.  The video shows only a small part of the road and certainly doesn't do it justice.  It is 22 in NoKy, specifically the section from the Pendelton Co line to Willow, in Braken Co.  They are heading east.  There are no passing zones in this road, but there are places where you can see far enough ahead to make a safe pass.  The riders are out on an early Sunday morning as evidenced by the cars parked along the road at the Neave Christian Church.  Traffic is usually lighter tha usually during this time. It is by far the most poular road for riders in the Greater Cincinnati area and most weekends it has pretty consistent bike traffic.  However, it is NOT a main traffic road for people in the area since it pretty much, at least on the side shown, goes from the county seat to nowhere.  Mostly just used by people that live on it or out in the area it goes through.  3rd, I don't know ( nor does anyone here ) know how fast the truck or riders where going.  The road, in the area shown, does have a 55 mph speed limit.  Many of the curves are marked for 30-35, some even lower, but those are suggested speeds not legal limits.  Most of the curves I feel quite comfortable running at 55 on my bike, but not all.  When driving them I do not do near that speed on most.  In my experience, MOST drivers run that road at 40-45 and slow down to 30-35 on the curves, sometimes even slower.  It can get quite frustrating following someone like that mile after mile, even when I'm in my truck, especially when on a bike.  There are NO pull-offs on that road and in all my years of riding it I have only 2-3x had someone wave me by.  More often the drivers drive the way the driver in the truck did......cutting off curves and speeding up in the semi-straight areas.....if not as fast or erratic as he did.  

Don't get me wrong.....I DO NOT condone using this stretch of road, or any road, as a racetrack.  I have gotten into arguments with some area riders over this very idea.  I try to remind them that it could be my wife or another relative or friend of mine that they are annoying with aggressive erratic riding.  Many, many people out here know that I am a rider, and know me and my bikes.  I am very active in the community and will ride to many meetings and events when I can, so they see me on my bike often.  I have NEVER had anyone out here complain to me about the number of riders using this, any other area roads.  In fact, the vast majority of the locals welcome the riders and realize how much money they spend in the area during the summer.  It is a very small and vocal minority that seem to be offended and annoyed.  iMO the driver of the PU had nothing to be annoyed about, he was just acting like an idiot.  I'd like to see him charged and taken off the road.

+1

There are fantastic roads here in KY as most know.  But being a responsible rider/cager and respecting others is foremost.  I too have passed on the double yellow, but the majority of drivers respect the fact that I can move along at quicker pace and allow me to pass in a safe area.  The guy in the truck was just one of those 1 in a million asshats.

As "kyzrex" stated....  Most locals appreciate riders.  Campgrounds, restaurants, hotels........  Very welcome.

"Go punch your mother for giving birth to you"  Chornbe
Snowbird
evil minion

Reputation -179

Motorcycles: '01 Futura, '06 FJR
GPS: Man cave.
Miles Typed: 7767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:08 pm »

The road, in the area shown, does have a 55 mph speed limit.  Many of the curves are marked for 30-35, some even lower, but those are suggested speeds not legal limits.  Most of the curves I feel quite comfortable running at 55 on my bike, but not all.  When driving them I do not do near that speed on most.  In my experience, MOST drivers run that road at 40-45 and slow down to 30-35 on the curves, sometimes even slower.  It can get quite frustrating following someone like that mile after mile, even when I'm in my truck, especially when on a bike.  There are NO pull-offs on that road and in all my years of riding it I have only 2-3x had someone wave me by.  More often the drivers drive the way the driver in the truck did......cutting off curves and speeding up in the semi-straight areas.....if not as fast or erratic as he did.  

That's a pet peeve of mine. SNers get all riled up about left lane hogs on interstates, but the Anti-destination League assholes who poke around on roads that could be fun piss me off royally.

On the bike, I dispatch them quickly. On four wheels, it is a much more hazardous situation to pass.

Two wheels or four, weight is the enemy.
et

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '04 sv650s, '10 Griso
Miles Typed: 824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

I hope they do charge him with attempted murder charges.
I know he'll probably won't get convicted of it; but at least charge him.
Please keep us updated to the outcome.
(Even if it takes years.)

It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.
tjhess74
Burning old dinosaurs is what I do

Reputation -17

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
GPS: North Charleston, SC
Miles Typed: 2160

My Photo Gallery

two of my favorite things...

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:00 pm »

holy shit!  i would definately take my misdemeanor traffic ticket to see the felony charge and the prison sentence he would get in return.  

its scary to realize there are people like that out there.  at any point the truck driver could have killed anyone, including himself (well, no loss there).  I was seriously waiting to see him wreck in some of those corners.  backwoods piece of shit needs to be paid a visit in the night.

how could they get him for dui if the video wasnt released to the police immediately?  i saw nothing in that video that would serve for that charge.  i hope its true though, hes lookin at missing some hunting seasons.

i ride.  to work, to home, to the store, to kill time.  doesn't matter when, what the weather, or with who.  i ride.

Iron Butt Association #30337
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »

There's enough evidence to prosecute both the rider and the driver for various violations of the traffic codes of KY.

When I was a young rider I could get pretty aggressive towards idiots in cages, completely disregarding my vulnerability. Now? I pull over or slow down and let these fucktards get some distance. It's just not worth the aggravation.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
paddy_crow

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: N/A
Miles Typed: 675

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »

holy shit!  i would definately take my misdemeanor traffic ticket to see the felony charge and the prison sentence he would get in return.  

its scary to realize there are people like that out there.  at any point the truck driver could have killed anyone, including himself (well, no loss there).  I was seriously waiting to see him wreck in some of those corners.  backwoods piece of shit needs to be paid a visit in the night.

how could they get him for dui if the video wasnt released to the police immediately?  i saw nothing in that video that would serve for that charge.  i hope its true though, hes lookin at missing some hunting seasons.

I'm sure the guy was breathalyzed when the police showed up. First thing I thought as I viewed the video was that he'd been drinking.
Justin

Reputation 58

Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »

It's not even a misdeamer, it is a traffic code violation  Lol - I know here in CO it's 2 pt's and about $80. Fair trade to see a f'cker that tried to kill me do time.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
livewellandfree

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2013 FJR1300A & 2007 YZF600R
GPS: Berea KY
Miles Typed: 51

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 10:37:30 pm »

As another Bluegrass rider, I can't tell you how many times I have been following a vehicle only to have them pull over to let me pass. I have also had to deal with drivers that drive down the middle of unlined roads and refuse to give you room to pass, when they are going 30mph. I just wait for an opening and go on my merry way. Yes, a couple times, I have had them push me to the left side but I just kept on going: Confrontation is not my style. Maybe I'll get a video camera so there will be evidence.

Keep your head and ride safe.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love More,
Stuart
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:50 pm »

Evidently.

Big thanks to you Papa L

One of my most favorite songs, after the day I had nice reprieve  Bigok

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal