Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Grand Canyon for 8  (Read 1129 times)

2DFlyer
Wheelie Conflicted

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 R1150RT
GPS: Apex, NC
Miles Typed: 1258

My Photo Gallery

IBA# 54155 SS1000

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:06 AM »

The wife is starting to plan a family vacation to the Grand Canyon and vicinity next Aug and is looking for some good resources but coming up empty.  The problem is we range in age from 9 to 75 and are having trouble figuring out what all of us can do so we're not leaving grandma behind or doing stuff too strenuous for the younger ones.

We're up for some half day hikes but won't be doing any multi day mule or rafting trips.  So how many days do you spend in the canyon and vicinity and what do you do?  Any good planning resources?

Many thanks.

RIP
'04 R1150R '05 Speed Triple  '05 Duc ST3   '99 ZRX1100 x 2
'02 883C   '98 PC800    '82 JX750J Maxim  '82 GS650L
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Escondido, CA
Miles Typed: 807

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »

-The park rangers gives talks on various Canyon subjects both day and night.
-Helicopter tours that fly out of Tusayan (hamlet at GC park south entrance).
-IIRC correctly there's also canyon south rim tours on donkeys and on small trams.
- Grand Canyon Railway
UHOH

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

The wife is starting to plan a family vacation to the Grand Canyon and vicinity next Aug ...  Grand Canyon for 8
The problem is we range in age from 9 to 75 ...  We're up for some half day hikes...

Nice, you're flying or Amtracking out?  If driving by all means rent the movie"National Lampoons 'Vacation'" during your current planning stages.

Factor in wonderful change of type of scenery, dry heat.  GC north rim is higher, cooler, harder to reach so fewer people, but
 handier if your visitation area includes the southern Utah parks.

Are you going to have a 12 person van, or two cars, or?  How long are you staying in the SW?  
Bet for some of the activities you'll want to plan on staying 2 or 3 days same spot so
 those who don't want to do hikes can stay by the pool.  In general, think your group size and age range are beyond most of our experiences.  

But, your question specifics: to me Grand Canyon GC is primarily a looking place, I'd go to 2 differrent overlooks and spend 3/4 hr at each.  So one day for me.
I hiked overnight to bottom once and fun, November, but absolutely prohibitive rescue costs in August.

I'd refocus trip to Utah parks and just include n rim GC.  
Bryce Canyon Park, n. rim GC, Cedar Breaks Nat'l Mon. are high and cooler during summer and all in same area.
The nice walking land of Zion Park will be v. hot, but you could start walks just before sunrise and still have a blast.
Or to the east you have Monument Valley and the Indian ruins...

All this land heats up very fast with the first rays of sunlight ...

Bet nobody on site here knows enough about your goals, ages, interests etc to be able to really help.  
DaisyCutter

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST & 2005 Factory KX250
Miles Typed: 250

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »

i'm 34 years old, a 3rd generation AZ native.  

I've never seen the Grand Canyon.

Tell me how it is!
swimmer
Amazing Member

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2011 Tiger 800 Roadie
GPS: Tucson
Miles Typed: 2405

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »

i'm 34 years old, a 3rd generation AZ native.  

I've never seen the Grand Canyon.

Tell me how it is!

lol.  Lived in tucson for 25 years.  Never seen that crack.  I don't think I can avoid it for another year though.
GilaMonster
Retired Rider

Reputation 8

GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 317

My Photo Gallery

Retired Rider

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »

For those of you that have never seen the Grand Canyon, no picture does it justice.  As far as time planning, it depends how much time you have.  You can easily spend a day at the South Rim with multiple outlooks and Grand Canyon Village.   You can easily spend a day at the North Rim which is a completely different experience, including Navajo Bridge, Lee's Ferry, Vermillion Cliffs, and Jacob Lake.  If you have a week or more, consider Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, and maybe a run into western Colorado through Grand Junction, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango.

All of these with the exception of Zion in my opinion, can be enjoyed for those who are hiking challenged.  Zion really needs to be hiked to be appreciated.

We did all of this last June, and my buddy had polio as a child, and is very limited for walking distances.  If you are interested, let me know, and I will be happy to post maps and answer any questions.

Craig

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 08' Triumph Sprint ST w/ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE
GPS: Deer Valley Airport - Phx, AZ
Miles Typed: 890

My Photo Gallery

home sweet home...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »

For those of you that have never seen the Grand Canyon, no picture does it justice.  As far as time planning, it depends how much time you have.  You can easily spend a day at the South Rim with multiple outlooks and Grand Canyon Village.   You can easily spend a day at the North Rim which is a completely different experience, including Navajo Bridge, Lee's Ferry, Vermillion Cliffs, and Jacob Lake.  If you have a week or more, consider Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, and maybe a run into western Colorado through Grand Junction, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango.

+1... I tend to go up once every couple of years. a few years ago was the first time to the North Rim. Always such a beautiful site any time of the year!

There are two types of folks in the World... those that Bitch & those that Do... Which are you?

Go Your Own Way - '08 Sprint ST /ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE IBA #34976
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal