Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Borscht, Banff Burn and BBQ  (Read 8339 times)

bubba zanetti
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge 2003 DRZ400S

Reputation 57

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 5643

My Photo Gallery

Easy. I know what I'm doing… kinda ...

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »

A while back alphabet man and I were talking about next year's Borscht Burn and wondered if we could not somehow do something a bit different. For several years the Banff run was a great event (and one I never managed to make). The run started in Whistler or Penticton and worked its way to Banff. From there folks dispersed and returned home. It was a moving, multi-day event that sounded like a lot of fun.

Anyhoo, we were thinking that perhaps the Borscht Burn and Banff Run could morph so to speak into one great event, perhaps every other year for some variety.  Meet in Banff and ride our way back to Castlegar for Borscht and a BBQ.

So ... just puttin this out there for feedback

So from Banff  .... A
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/JimFisher1956/banff_1-full-1.jpg

View Larger Map

B ... to Castlegar
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/JimFisher1956/castlegar_crossroads_of_the_kootenays_postcard-p239596650585030942qibm_400.jpg

Could be epic ! ?  Bigok

What are your thoughts ??
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:11:52 PM by bubba zanetti » Logged

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14097

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

I think that there are some great roads between the two, especially if you come west on TCH 1 and drop down at Revelstoke to Upper Arrow Lake  Bigok

View Larger Map

The Banff Run (in its early years) was one of my favorite STN events. The individual riding to different locations each night really made it a great way to get in good riding and yet hang out with friends in the evening.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
birdrunner

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4653

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

The Banff Run was great.
the BBBBQ is great.

What could be better?

Meet in Banff Thursd. Night
BBBQ Fri and Sat.  For those who can't leave early or stay late.
Meet in Penticton Sunday Night  (via Vernon and West Bank Road).

I love 5 day weekends.
BTW,  as well as being endorsed by Dante,  the Banff Run has received  AAAA rating from Chili. Chili Chili Chili

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Sputnik

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa, 04 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Lethbridge, Alberta
Miles Typed: 461

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

A great idea. Carry on planning.

"If the misery of our poor be caused not by nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin".
Charles Darwin.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 618

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »

Hmmmmm. As one who spends about 1/4 of his time in a little town adjacent to Banff I offer my services for any legwork needing to be done at this end. Had the pleasure of meeting the first or second Banff run at Sask. Crossing and riding with them a ways...... Remember meeting Birdrunner, GTSrider, VFRJoe, CDN of course, and a few others. Good kids.  Lol

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

Weather in Sundre http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IALBERTA332#history
birdrunner

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »

Hmmmmm. As one who spends about 1/4 of his time in a little town adjacent to Banff I offer my services for any legwork needing to be done at this end. Had the pleasure of meeting the first or second Banff run at Sask. Crossing and riding with them a ways...... Remember meeting Birdrunner, GTSrider, VFRJoe, CDN of course, and a few others. Good kids.  Lol

Meatsac.   Oh,  and Chili.

That was the first one IIRC

bubba zanetti

Reputation 57

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »

Meatsac.   Oh,  and Chili.

A little early to be planning the meals ... er ... isn't it ?   Meatsac ... ah ... is that an Alberta delicacy  Crazy  or Dutch ??  Sorta ... er ....  Hurl  not too appetizing sounding ... like.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »

Meatsac ... ah ... is that an Alberta delicacy  Crazy  or Dutch ??  Sorta ... er ....  Hurl  not too appetizing sounding ... like.

Old-tyme STNer from Portland  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
bubba zanetti

Reputation 57

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

Old-tyme STNer from Portland  Bigok

Wink

ZED

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '08 Yami WR250X, '03 YZ450 Supermotard
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1640

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »

I'm good with a rolling sort of a get together.  It's riding right?  Bigok

The only issue with the intended route is the Banff part.  Like, really.  Banff??  
Only Asian tourists go there.  I think Banff is really kind of overrated as an actual destination.  In fact we try like the dickens to avoid that whole stretch of the #1 highway.  It's full of 70 zones, cops with lasers, and tourists from Quebec that stop in the middle of the TransCanada Highway so they can take a picture of the mountain.  EEK!

But, if that's the way things go, you can count us in, but we'll likely just tag on at Revelstoke.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:06:14 PM by ZED » Logged

Life is a highway...or a dirt road!
"I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do."
http://www.rockymountainmotards.com
ZED

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '08 Yami WR250X, '03 YZ450 Supermotard

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

A little early to be planning the meals ... er ... isn't it ?  

Is it ever too early to be planning meals?  Why, the first two ingredients to a road trip are good food and drink at the end of they day.  Bigsmile
Somewhere after that I think there's something about a place to sleep, companionship, oh, and keeping it shiny side up.  Thumbsup

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »

The only issue with the intended route is the Banff part.  Like, really.  Banff??  
Only Asian tourists go there.  I think Banff is really kind of overrated as an actual destination.  In fact we try like the dickens to avoid that whole stretch of the #1 highway.  It's full of 70 zones, cops with lasers, and tourists from Quebec that stop in the middle of the TransCanada Highway so they can take a picture of the mountain.  

You're so jaded...  Razz

IMH, Banff isn't a "destination", but it is a really good place to ride. The scenery is great and there are good places to eat nearby. Really, what else do you need for a stop on a motorcycle meet?  Bigsmile  It's not like STN is going to Disney World  Cool

ZED

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »

You're so jaded...  Razz

Who, me?!?  Embarassment

IMH, Banff isn't a "destination", but it is a really good place to ride. The scenery is great and there are good places to eat nearby. Really, what else do you need for a stop on a motorcycle meet?  Bigsmile  It's not like STN is going to Disney World  Cool

Disney world, not likely.  We're probably more likely to go to Hell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Canyon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_California
 Lol

bubba zanetti

Reputation 57

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »

I'm good with a rolling sort of a get together.  It's riding right?  Bigok

Only Asian tourists go there.  I think Banff is really kind of overrated as an actual destination.  In fact we try like the dickens to avoid that whole stretch of the #1 highway.  It's full of 70 zones, cops with lasers, and tourists from Quebec that stop in the middle of the TransCanada Highway so they can take a picture of the mountain.  EEK!

But, if that's the way things go, you can count us in, but we'll likely just tag on at Revelstoke.

I hear you in most respects. But ... I think Banff is not a destination in itself, but the staging area. From there we can ride and hopefully early in the morning, sample the beautiful mountains and vistas. Banff provides a lovely environment to meet, greet and have an evening together. From there folks could be free to ride their choice of routes to Castlegar. At their own speed.

Early morning is the key ... but hey ... you guys blast away and we will rendezvous somewhere much later.  

Asian and Quebec ... ? In one post ?   Jeebus K ... I think you are putting down roots in Cow town !!!   Twofinger Lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:34:19 AM by bubba zanetti » Logged

birdrunner

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »

FWIW,  the origional "Banff Run" started in Jasper, and there simply isn't a prettier highway than the Banff/Jasper run.  (ie  Jasper, Lake Louise, Field, Revelstoke, Nakusp, New Denver ... Castlegar.)

Does make it a bit of a haul to Castlegar,  but WHAT a haul it is.

Sputnik

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa, 04 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Lethbridge, Alberta
Miles Typed: 461

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »

You're so jaded...  Razz

But you might get to see some unicorns....
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,52980.0.html

"If the misery of our poor be caused not by nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin".
Charles Darwin.
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »

Hmmm...Banff could work...actually, I've never ridden east of the Rockies, I understand there is some nice riding up Hwy 40...

One issue, regarding the ride from Banff to Castlegar...if you're going via Revelstoke, or via Creston and up the lake, ferries can be a bit of an issue on any July weekend (motorhomes take up a lot of ferry space...).  Just sayin', but I wouldn't plan too long a ride on any route that involves a ferry crossing in the afternoon.

Another option might be a start location somewhere in Washington or Idaho? (of course, border crossings might pose some similiar issues to ferry crossings...)

E=MC2
birdrunner

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »

Hmmm...Banff could work...actually, I've never ridden east of the Rockies, I understand there is some nice riding up Hwy 40...

One issue, regarding the ride from Banff to Castlegar...if you're going via Revelstoke, or via Creston and up the lake, ferries can be a bit of an issue on any July weekend (motorhomes take up a lot of ferry space...).  Just sayin', but I wouldn't plan too long a ride on any route that involves a ferry crossing in the afternoon.

Another option might be a start location somewhere in Washington or Idaho? (of course, border crossings might pose some similiar issues to ferry crossings...)

The ride up Koocanusa from Eureka, via Libby Dam was most excellent.  There's even a good restaurant there, pluse cheap accommodations.  (It's also close to Glacier Nat'l Park)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »

Someone ought to dream up a RRMM (Rolling Rocky Mountain Meet)  Each night in a different place, from Banff to Flagstaff, AZ  That might get a few people involved  Embarassment

ZED

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »

I've always liked the idea of a rolling meet like that too.  It could travel across and through the whole continent with people joining and leaving at will.  Imagine how many STN'ers we could get if it could get started.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal