Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tell me about the ST2  (Read 4808 times)

chesthing

Reputation -15

Motorcycles: R1200RT
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 928

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »

The 2002 ST4S bikes had/have lots of main engine bearing failures and flaking rockers, I wouldn't even consider one.  I agree these and the Sprints don't hold much value relative to their original sales price. These are true niche bikes - viewed as too uncomfortable for longer rides and not sporty enough compared to true sport bikes. I'd have to agree, that's why I lowered the footpegs 1", went to an LSL handlebar w/ risers, and installed an 18" Madstad windscreen w/ Robobrackets. I really have no interest in something that weighs close to 700 lbs, did that with an ST1100 for 3 years. The set up I have with my ST2 now is as close to perfect as I can get, maybe someday the manufacturers will come out with a shaft-driven 500 lb bike with hardbags and elec shield (a real shield, not a sportbike style wind deflector) but I'm not holding my breath.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »

The 2002 ST4S bikes had/have lots of main engine bearing failures ...

Never heard of that.  It is basically the 996 Superbike motor.  I think I would have heard main engine bearing failures in that bike too.  But have not.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Desmo Demon

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

These are true niche bikes - viewed as too uncomfortable for longer rides and not sporty enough compared to true sport bikes. I'd have to agree,

I disagree. I've done a SaddleSore 1000 on my ST2 (with lowered bars) and can rail through the curves (with knee on the deck). If anything, the ST bikes are the most practical, do-all bike that Ducati has ever manufactured....which is what kills them. Who wants a practical Ducati?   Lol

My favorite "not sporty enough" shot of an ST bike (2002 ST4s)...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/ST4S_trackbig.jpg

Cosmetically they don't look too sporty (especially compared to today's bikes), but with lowered bars using Helicoil adapters and SBK clip-ons, lower windshield, bags and brackets removed, and a rear seat cowl the bike looks fairly sporty...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:00:26 PM by Desmo Demon » Logged
chesthing

Reputation -15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »

Compared to a 996 or CBR1k an ST2 isn't very sporty, and compared to an ST1300 or RT it isn't very comfortable. It's a great all arounder (I wouldn't have wasted money on it if it wasn't), but it's a compromise.
As far as the 2002 ST4S issues, they pop up pretty regularly here http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/ right now there is a 20+ page thread of some poor sould who tried to replace a bad engine bearing on his ST4S, only to have the problem come back 1000 miles later. From what I gather, there was a bad batch or wrong preload set on a bunch of '02 ST4s models only, the 996's don't seem to have the issue.
SummerLove

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati M750 (Gone) Ducati MTS 1000 DS (Dev!)
GPS: San Fransico Bay Area
Miles Typed: 107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:06 AM »

Compared to a 996 or CBR1k an ST2 isn't very sporty, and compared to an ST1300 or RT it isn't very comfortable. It's a great all arounder (I wouldn't have wasted money on it if it wasn't), but it's a compromise.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Still waiting to here back from the ST2 owner about the trade. I don't own a car so a practical jack of all trades with fairings is what I want. Still drool over the Futura and frequently wonder of I could make the Tuono work for me... but I don't know if I'll be able to swing either of those this winter.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »

As far as the 2002 ST4S issues, they pop up pretty regularly here http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/ right now there is a 20+ page thread of some poor sould who tried to replace a bad engine bearing on his ST4S, only to have the problem come back 1000 miles later. From what I gather, there was a bad batch or wrong preload set on a bunch of '02 ST4s models only, the 996's don't seem to have the issue.

So, one guy had a bad bearing?  And 20 pages were written about it?
(I do not have time to read 20 pages..)

st2sam

Reputation 118

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '93 Ducati 907ie '09 Kawasaki C14 abs
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying workhorse!
Miles Typed: 1488

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

Great bikes, here is a picture of my 2000 ST2, back in the day. (winter2002?)
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t86/st2sam/MyCBR006.jpg
It was my first Ducati, over 20,000 trouble free miles.  Thumbsup

Then I bought a 2005 ST3, that to this day I regret selling. It was a ST2 evolution (what Ducati does) and a much improved bike in every way.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t86/st2sam/April16thride022.jpg
The ST2 is a great bike and if that's all you can afford, go for it. "BUT" IMHO - save a few more pennies and get yourself a ST3, you won't be sorry.
If Ducati built a ST bike that looked like the ST3's with the New Multistrada 1200 11* motor and SS swing arm, thats what I would be riding! Thumbsup

Change is good, but only for a while..
Kawasaki makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
chesthing

Reputation -15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »

So, one guy had a bad bearing?  And 20 pages were written about it?
(I do not have time to read 20 pages..)

If you aren't willing to do any reading your education of the problem won't happen - sorry.
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 763

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »

I have an ST3, not an ST2, but the ST2 was a pretty solid machine.  The '98 model had some problems with the  electrics and most people have had to move the regulator up into the nose to keep it cool.  They also had problems with the alternator stator going bad.  There are aftermarket fixes for both items.  As someone else mentioned, changing the sprockets to 15/42 or 14/42 help the acceleration.  Handling will be pretty good.  It is a Ducati.  If setup properly, it will even do well 2-up.

I should mention that I thought that the charging system on my '98 model was playing up when the red charging light on the dash came on and stayed on, but when I asked my independent Ducati guy about it he suggested checking the charging with a meter. Lo and behold, there was a healthy 14.5 volts at 4000 rpm despite the light being on. What apparently failed is a diode in the voltage regulator which controls only the charging light, the charge stayed healthy and I ran the bike that way for several years until I sold it. Apparently the diode is what usually fails, not the charging circuit itself. I wonder how many voltage regulators were replaced unnecessarily?

I never had a problem with my stator but I think the recall took care of most of the bad ones.

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
SummerLove

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »

It was my first Ducati, over 20,000 trouble free miles.  Thumbsup

Then I bought a 2005 ST3, that to this day I regret selling. It was a ST2 evolution (what Ducati does) and a much improved bike in every way.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t86/st2sam/April16thride022.jpg
The ST2 is a great bike and if that's all you can afford, go for it. "BUT" IMHO - save a few more pennies and get yourself a ST3, you won't be sorry.
If Ducati built a ST bike that looked like the ST3's with the New Multistrada 1200 11* motor and SS swing arm, thats what I would be riding! Thumbsup

Nice looking bikes! If I end up selling the Monster instead of trading it I'll definitely be keeping eye out for a good deal on an ST3 or ST4s along with the Futura. Originally I was out for a Futura, ST, Sprint ST or VFR800 but after throwing a leg over a Sprint GT I'm not so sure about the Sprint... (It felt huuuuge) I liked the triple a whole lot. I may eventually get a street triple to sate my desire for one. The ergos on the ST4s work well for me and I've liked every Italian bike I've ridden so far.. I think I might have a small problem their.
We'll see how things go when I get a chance to meet the guy with the ST2 that wants a Monster (scheduling conflicts so far). The one advantage the ST2 has over the ST3/4 along with the Futura and Tuono is that the nagging little voice in the back of my head doesn't think 80hp will get me in trouble.  Bigsmile
After riding Tixen's Norge I'm less concerned with that though I did power wheelie it for almost block when first go on it because of how light the throttle felt compared to my bike. That didn't happen unintentionally again after I got a better feel for the bike. The Guzzi is quite nice and I can see what people love about them. I may own one.. eventually. I don't want to hop on a 600lb beast as my only ride just yet! I've only been riding for 6 months.. granted it's 6 months everyday in all conditions but still only 6 months.
Whoops.. I was babbling.

I should mention that I thought that the charging system on my '98 model was playing up when the red charging light on the dash came on and stayed on, but when I asked my independent Ducati guy about it he suggested checking the charging with a meter. Lo and behold, there was a healthy 14.5 volts at 4000 rpm despite the light being on. What apparently failed is a diode in the voltage regulator which controls only the charging light, the charge stayed healthy and I ran the bike that way for several years until I sold it. Apparently the diode is what usually fails, not the charging circuit itself. I wonder how many voltage regulators were replaced unnecessarily?

I never had a problem with my stator but I think the recall took care of most of the bad ones.

That is interesting and something I'll keep in mind! I'm a little sad they neutered the ST2 and 4 in 01.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »

If you aren't willing to do any reading your education of the problem won't happen - sorry.

No.

I am an active member of the main Ducati St group, and this has never come up.
So your one story of one person is not worth 20 pages to me.

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5716

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »

I've owned both the ST3 and Futura. They're both great, and it would be tough to pick a winner.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 76

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13826

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

Ducatis are ok for around town...

but 3 out of 4 experts advise against riding farther than the city limits without a shaft drive.

chesthing

Reputation -15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »

No.

I am an active member of the main Ducati St group, and this has never come up.
So your one story of one person is not worth 20 pages to me.

What is "the main Ducati ST group"? the forum I posted is a very active ST forum, and this issue with '02 ST4S models comes up regularly, that 24 page thread is just one example. If you were to take the time to read the first couple pages, the discussion focuses on the frequency of complaints and narrowing down that the whining noise the original poster complains about is indeed another case of a bad main engine bearing. Flaking rocker arms on 996 engines are another recurring problem (if you haven't heard of that your Ducati forum must be a graveyard), and has been cited as a possible cause of some bearing failures (not caught in time the flaking chrome gets into the bearings). I'm not suggesting all '02 ST4S bikes will suffer bearing failures, but I've read enough that I wouldn't take a chance on one.
If you are interested in learning more you will have to exert a bit of effort from here, I'm done holding your hand.  Lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:39:41 AM by chesthing » Logged
SummerLove

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »

Ducatis are ok for around town...

but 3 out of 4 experts advise against riding farther than the city limits without a shaft drive.

I know! Wouldn't want to end up like this guy...

Bigok
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »

I know! Wouldn't want to end up like this guy...

Bigok

As long as it didn't catch on fire, you're ok.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/BuringBMWreardif.jpg

tixen
Commuter

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ................ * '08 Moto Guzzi Norge... * '90 Kawasaki Concours Wiggle: Yes
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 01:04:50 AM »

As long as it didn't catch on fire, you're ok.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/BuringBMWreardif.jpg

So splitting in two is okay, then? Lol
tixen
Commuter

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ................ * '08 Moto Guzzi Norge... * '90 Kawasaki Concours Wiggle: Yes
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:01 AM »

Did you build a house around your ST2?   Bigsmile
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

So splitting in two is okay, then? Lol

Yes, you can fix that with popsicle sticks and duct tape.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Triumph Speed Triple and Kawasaki Versys
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5126

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:06 AM »

I had a 2000 I loved it, a few minor niggles, but I wish I still had her  

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/maddjack/ducky2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/maddjack/2003017.jpg

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal