Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: What is this new V7 with cast wheels?  (Read 10097 times)

al_roethlisberger
Insert Witty Comment Here

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans
GPS: Sanford, NC
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

These are some great looking bikes, and the whole "retro" V7 lineup is what people had been begging MG to make for several years.   I think the sales have proven them right  Thumbsup

.... however, some folks are never satisfied.  Although we'd all love to have the stars laid at our feet, it stymies me that some complain that ~50HP and "low tech brakes and suspension" aren't adequate for a $9-10k bike made in 2011+.  They clearly just don't understand the marketing/pricing niche in which these bikes live.

Good job MG.  Keep improving the model lineup incrementally and I think these models will be a hit for many years.

al_roethlisberger@yahoo.com
Sanford, NC  USA
 Lewis D. Isenhour House  http://www.pashnit.com/bi
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Street Triple R
GPS: Camp Grove, IL
Miles Typed: 2783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »

I don't know what has gotten into me, but I find myself really drawn to the 2012 V7. Generally speaking I don't love retro bikes. This thing will be seriously down on HP compared to every bike I've ever had except for a KLX250. It has no fancy electric gizmos. There are no dealers within three hours of home. But I still like it and kinda want it.

Damn you, Moto Guzzi!   Lol

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13703

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »

These 2012 revised V7's are beginning to show up on Cycle Trader, at least ads for them.  Anyone seen one yet?  I'm curious how much these engine changes are going to effect the performance numbers.  The existing V7's have a top speed of about 100mph (104.5 per the US MCN) and, I've heard, struggle with the higher speeds.  I wonder just how much better this new one will be...
Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 10:13:18 AM »

First impressions from the model release, in Italian with a rough english translation, to be found here along with an extensive photo gallery.

The one thing that caught my eye was 20-liter fuel tank, which seems like an error.  The website shows 17-liters for the existing models, and the tank looks identical to the new ones.  20-liter would be about 5.28 US gallons, which would mean quite a good range.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13985

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »

I'm curious how much these engine changes are going to effect the performance numbers.  The existing V7's have a top speed of about 100mph (104.5 per the US MCN) and, I've heard, struggle with the higher speeds.

I rode a 49 hp version V7 Classic on twisty mountain roads and had a grand old time on it...more enjoyable than my Thruxton  Smile

However, if you live in the flatlands, the lack of power might be more pronounced.

If you're concerned about power, you may want to look elsewhere  Embarassment

Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

If you're concerned about power, you may want to look elsewhere  Embarassment

Moto Guzzi was the one who said it has more power, not me.  I am only curious how those claims affect the real world.  I have ridden the current V7, I know how much power it makes, and I prefer it to the Bonnies as well.  
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »

Details, including both colours, are up on many of the Guzzi sites:

http://www.motoguzzi.it/#/motoguzzi/IT/it/moto/naked/V7-MY12/V7-Stone

The gas tank IS bigger than the older version.  I heard that it now is made of steel.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »

I'm putting this here to watch later.  Tor Sagen is a Euro bike journalist.

http://youtu.be/2WGENvtyZus

2012 Moto Guzzi V7 range full review by Tor Sagen in Mandello del Lario

Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »

Inlove

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

It's funny how in that one pic the dood is pretending to kick start it.

nferr

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 99

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »

I think I want one.

11 Harley Wide Glide
08 Triumph Scrambler
guzzinut

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: Guzzi Racer
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

The wire wheels are one of the few things I dislike on the V7, and being able to run tubeless would be desirable.

I agree, but I do think in terms of style, the wire spoke rims suit the bike better.
I know that the Griso SE and Stelvio use tubless tyres on their wire spoke rims, but they've opted for individual plugs on each spoke from inside the rim to create a seal.
http://www.freepicturehosting.org/view.php?filename=516picard_facepalm.jpg
Why oh why couldn't Guzzi do what BMW do, and run the spokes from the hubs to the outer edge of the rims, thus keeping the retro look but allowing the use of tubeless tyres.
At first I thought maybe BMW have this design patented, but the new Honda Cross Tourer uses it, so clearly they don't.
It's such a simple and effective design.

http://www.freepicturehosting.org/view.php?filename=225R1200GS_rearhub.jpg

http://www.freepicturehosting.org/view.php?filename=694MCRST20128SJ.jpg

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:53:48 PM by guzzinut » Logged
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2001 BMW R1150GS
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1405

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »

Years ago MG used the same style tubeless wheels as BMW on the Cali but stopped. I think it was a patent issue. That said the cast wheels look great on the V7 IMHO as its the same bike as my 1984 V65 that had them as did the V35 & V50.

MarkF

new bike - BMW R1150GS & old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
omnivore
Professional Flooring Installer

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: 05 GSXR1000 (SuperSportTourer), 96 YZF600 (Racebike)
GPS: Brantford,ONT,Canada
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »

There are a few good ways to make tubed spokers into tubeless if that's what is stopping you from buying one.
Nut for me, not only do the wire wheels look the part, they need to be in correct sizes to accomodate modern radial rubber for me....some nice black alloy rimmed lacd wheels with a 110 or 120 front /150 or 160 rear radial sport touring tire setup, (Distanzias would add that Scrambler look for sure) with steps to make it tubeless, would be great. As would another 250cc's.

Both the V7 and the Bonnie have me contemplating selling my 950SM.....as an upright, do it all bike, with classic style, modern motors, and great sounds.
Sold the GSXR1000 for the 950, becasue no one needs 160 hp on the street......but now I find the 950SM also makes me do things that should get my licence revoked as well,LOL.

2005 GSXR1000
SuperSportTourer
1996 YZF600 LostEraRacebike SOAR Novice #22
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »

Why oh why couldn't Guzzi do what BMW do, and run the spokes from the hubs to the outer edge of the rims, thus keeping the retro look but allowing the use of tubeless tyres.

Because if you smack a pot hole and bend the rim on a BMW, you will also f up the spokes in that area causing far more problems to fix.
With the spokes in the center of the wheel, they are far less susceptible to road damage and it is much easier to true a wheel if needed.

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1219

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

Inlove

I could stare at that tail all day.  
Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »

I could stare at that tail all day.  

That's funny because it's my wallpaper here at work, so I DO stare at it all day.   Bigok
Rabidsnipe

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: None
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

Based on the pictures, they also changed the stock tires that come with it.  The Sport Demons are supposed to be a big improvement over what was previously stock (can't remember what type).

-Chase
guzzinut

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: Guzzi Racer
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »

Because if you smack a pot hole and bend the rim on a BMW, you will also f up the spokes in that area causing far more problems to fix.
With the spokes in the center of the wheel, they are far less susceptible to road damage and it is much easier to true a wheel if needed.

I can see the logic of that, but it's not a problem that I have ever heard of in all my years of owning modern wire spoked wheel beemers.

You'd think that if this was true, then the last bike this type of wheel would be suitable for, would be the GS.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

I can see the logic of that, but it's not a problem that I have ever heard of in all my years of owning modern wire spoked wheel beemers.

You'd think that if this was true, then the last bike this type of wheel would be suitable for, would be the GS.

Not really.  The GS is essentially a road bike with the 'dirt bike' look.  As a road bike many desire road bike conveniences like no tubes.
The KTM 990 is much much more adept off road, and uses traditional center spoked rims with tubes.  Because they know if you dent a rim, you can keep on going.
Know of any dirt bikes that run tubeless wheels?

With the Griso SE, no-one has had problems with the orings.  It's all conjecture.  If you worry about that, I'd think you'd be far more worried about BMW FDs failing.  At least with the O rings if one did ever fail a can of fix a flat  (or an inner tube) would take care of you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal