Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print

Topic: MotoGP Off-Season (pre 2012) Thread  (Read 35129 times)

DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, KTM450SMR, CRF230F
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »

Insightful interview with Casey Stoner from David Emmett at Motomatters.com. Discussion of tires, electronics, riding styles, etc...

http://www.motomatters.com/interview/2011/12/19/casey_stoner_interview_on_riding_fast_em.html

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »

Great find!  Bigok

I found his comments about runoff interesting.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Rigger
Uptight Free Spirit

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
GPS: North Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1581

My Photo Gallery

V4 Pilot

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2011, 07:26:25 am »

Here is an interesting article from MCUSA.com.   It has to do with the CRT bikes next season.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/817/11818/Motorcycle-Article/How-Will-CRT-Work-in-MotoGP-.aspx

Canada, more awesome square footage per person than any other country in the world.
Advertisement

st2sam

Reputation 133

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2011, 09:14:40 am »

Here is an interesting article from MCUSA.com.   It has to do with the CRT bikes next season.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/817/11818/Motorcycle-Article/How-Will-CRT-Work-in-MotoGP-.aspx

EEK!  

If any part of what I just read is true.      

God I wish there was a WSBK race in the North east.

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
kendenton
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright

Reputation 65

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord, '06 Ducati Multistrada 620
Miles Typed: 3476

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2011, 09:33:44 am »

EEK!  

If any part of what I just read is true.      

God I wish there was a WSBK race in the North east.

I'm going to do my best to Miller this year  Thumbsup

I miss my sig picture.
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2011, 10:32:38 am »

I think this is the same guy who was talking about Honda having a $250 million budget earlier this year. Now its $450 million and then he talks up a bunch of numbers that totally contradict that figure. I'm also doubting that Stoner will be 1.5 seconds faster everywhere. Thats a bug chunk of time. Anyway, the CRT teams won't be lapped two or three times per race. That complete BS. There is no reason they won't be as fast as WSBK bikes or faster and that puts them at the equivalent of the lower satellite teams. It may take half the season for the CRT bikes to find their pace but the will get there. They sky is not falling.

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:17 am »

Agreed. With some development, they should be faster than a SBK because of the unlimited engine mods, and probably the chassis will be lighter too.

As long as the HP is reliable, and they can get handling without chatter, there's no way that lapping 2-3 times will occur. Races aren't long enough.

Rigger
Uptight Free Spirit

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
GPS: North Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1581

My Photo Gallery

V4 Pilot

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »

I too questioned the lapping of CRT bikes 2-3 times per race.  I am not saying what this guy wrote is true, just wanted to share his opinion and provoke discussion.  I agree with the comment about the bikes being closer in performance to a WSBK bike.  

Canada, more awesome square footage per person than any other country in the world.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »

I think this is the same guy who was talking about Honda having a $250 million budget earlier this year. Now its $450 million and then he talks up a bunch of numbers that totally contradict that figure..

Sounds like he'd be right at home here  Lol

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 106

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »

Lol

I guess he'd fit in with me. I found the other column. He claimed Hondas budget was $425 million and Yamaha was at $280 million so I was way off.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/739/10399/Motorcycle-Article/STM--Practical-Solutions-to-MotoGPs-Woes.aspx

I still think those numbers are about ten times too high on those budgets. Its foolish to make those claims and not explain where the money goes. MotoGP is not that expensive.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 01:27:30 pm by DogBoy » Logged

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »

I too questioned the lapping of CRT bikes 2-3 times per race.  I am not saying what this guy wrote is true, just wanted to share his opinion and provoke discussion.  I agree with the comment about the bikes being closer in performance to a WSBK bike.  

As I posted above, nobody is going to get lapped (unless they have mechanicals, or run off the track).  The shortest track that MotoGP races on is the Sachsenring, and lap times of 1.22 are typical front-runner race pace.  At 30 laps, the fastest rider would have to lap 2.73 seconds faster than the slowest to ever lap anybody even once.  Three seconds a lap is huge, especially on such a short circuit.

Three points where two lines meet
tomek

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: 60527
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »

As I posted above, nobody is going to get lapped (unless they have mechanicals, or run off the track).  The shortest track that MotoGP races on is the Sachsenring, and lap times of 1.22 are typical front-runner race pace.  At 30 laps, the fastest rider would have to lap 2.73 seconds faster than the slowest to ever lap anybody even once.  Three seconds a lap is huge, especially on such a short circuit.

Yes , 3 seconds is huuuge ( Trump`s impersonation ) but so was is the gap between crts and Hondas and Yamahas in the testing we`ve seen so far . The gap in early testing was in 4-7 seconds range , of course it is gonna closer as the season progresses .

Anyway , wanna bet Miles ? I`d say crts will get lapped often and early .

We`ll revisit this issue as the season starts and I`ll do dancing on some graves here . Wink

Question . Based on your experience do you see 12 engines per season for crt as an issue ?  .
 I guess that amounts to 400-500 miles between rebuilds at 230 hp level . Typical Motogp track loads the engine more then typical AMA circut , daytona being exception .
Your thoughts as much as you are willing to share ?

BTW , less motomatters you read , more you know  Wink. I mean there is good info there but also healthy amount of hyper-ball . You have to be able to filter all that out .

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2011, 02:07:38 pm »

I, for one, welcome the new CRT overlords.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2011, 01:18:28 am »

Someone had to say it.  

Lol

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

Yes , 3 seconds is huuuge ( Trump`s impersonation ) but so was is the gap between crts and Hondas and Yamahas in the testing we`ve seen so far . The gap in early testing was in 4-7 seconds range , of course it is gonna closer as the season progresses .

Anyway , wanna bet Miles ? I`d say crts will get lapped often and early .

We`ll revisit this issue as the season starts and I`ll do dancing on some graves here . Wink

Question . Based on your experience do you see 12 engines per season for crt as an issue ?  .
 I guess that amounts to 400-500 miles between rebuilds at 230 hp level . Typical Motogp track loads the engine more then typical AMA circut , daytona being exception .
Your thoughts as much as you are willing to share ?

BTW , less motomatters you read , more you know  Wink. I mean there is good info there but also healthy amount of hyper-ball . You have to be able to filter all that out .

Given the different development curves, I'd bet that by the fourth round, no lapping will happen.  I doubt any lapping will happen in Qatar, because it's a big, open horsepower track and the CRT teams won't be down much on power, just chassis development.  Jerez, maybe.  I'd be surprised, but maybe.  Estoril, perhaps.  I see that as the most likely track lapping where could happen.  By Le Mans, gaps will be in the 2 second range, and only the  most unfortunate teams running at the back will run three seconds behind.

And no, we could build 250hp engines that would last two race weekends, easy.  I don't know how the Aprilia teams will do, but he BMW engined teams will have few problems.

Three points where two lines meet
motodog650
conservative honky

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '03 Suzuki SV650 Honda Nighthawks '83 CB650SC '84 700S '08 Yamaha TT-R50E
GPS: North GA
Miles Typed: 1069

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:09 pm »

Bad news out of the OWB, Nicky Hayden broke his left scapula and fractured two ribs in a flat-track training crash on Tuesday...

Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »

Bad news out of the OWB, Nicky Hayden broke his left scapula and fractured two ribs in a flat-track training crash on Tuesday...

Crap.  He had awesome scapula's too, shame to break one of 'em.   Sad  

Found this quote on Soup:
"Obviously, injuries are never good," Hayden said, "but it's part of motorcycle racing. Just like at Valencia, it was kind of a freak accident. I was starting to train again, like I normally do during the winter, at a private track near my house. I came up behind another rider, and he went to move out of the way. I wasn't going that fast, but he clipped my front wheel and I went down and landed pretty hard on my left shoulder, and that was it. It's disappointing, but there's nothing to do about it but heal quickly. Anyway, this doesn't change my expectations for 2012 which, fortunately, is just around the corner."

How sucky would it feel to be the guy that caused Young Nicky Hayden to crash and break more bones just before the 2012 season tests get underway?  Bet that dude/dudette feels this >< big right about now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:07:30 pm by Tyrroneous » Logged

Ride On...
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

I can see the CRTs being lapped once and easily.  Maybe close to twice but not quite.  This past season there were non CRT bikes finishing up to 1 minute behind the front runners.  They may not be factory but they're still leaps ahead of CRT technology.  With the CRTs lacking the sophistication of factory electronics with GPS specific programming, lapping should be simple.  And I think it will be a danger come lap time.  I can already hear Stoner moaning about being on the racing line.  Will these back markers even remember what a Blue Flag means?

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »

Lol

I guess he'd fit in with me. I found the other column. He claimed Hondas budget was $425 million and Yamaha was at $280 million so I was way off.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/739/10399/Motorcycle-Article/STM--Practical-Solutions-to-MotoGPs-Woes.aspx

I still think those numbers are about ten times too high on those budgets. Its foolish to make those claims and not explain where the money goes. MotoGP is not that expensive.

Who but the teams really know what they spend?  All I know is that it isn't getting cheaper.  Dorna talks about cutting costs so what do they do?  Add 3 tracks to the calendar for 2013.  One of them being way out of the way "as the parrot flies."

They talk about electronics tipping the financial scales.  Electronics are cheap.  They're on the showroom floor and apparently amazing.  Yeah, the GP stuff is faster, GPS enabled and who knows what else they do.  The consumer may see that also in a couple years.  It's the heaps of programmers that are the budget bloater.  Adding a spec ECU won't solve a thing.  They'll still have programming teams to pay.  The biggest difference is that since the teams don't own the ECU, no new tech can filter down to the consumer.  I don't see a single manufacturer going for it.  They'll pull out completely and GP will become Moto1.  What would be the point in staying if you can't create your own edge?

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:18 pm »

My understanding is the Dorna moves the teams.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal