Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Never owned a Duc, but thinking about a Multistrada...  (Read 6789 times)

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7535

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

It's actually very accurate, and pretty simple for an audio guy like myself. 110hz for a Desmoquattro IIRC.

Um you are making a HUGE assumption if you set it up that way.  The assumption is that the belt is made in exactly the same way with the exact same materials.

Better to use a tension setting instead.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 98 RC46, 94 & 97 RC36s, 93 GTS1000
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2805

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »

Lol
Playinthestreet

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »

+ a whole bunch
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »

Um you are making a HUGE assumption if you set it up that way.  The assumption is that the belt is made in exactly the same way with the exact same materials.

Better to use a tension setting instead.

You've obviously never attempted to adjust a Ducati timing belt to exactly 110hz.
Mr. Whippy

Reputation 278

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 04 MTS 1000DS 00 996S
Miles Typed: 6009

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 07:13:01 AM »

You've obviously never attempted to adjust a Ducati timing belt to exactly 110hz.

Correct. Starting with the previous gen Multi's, Monsters  etc, Ducati states that harmonic tensioning is the preferred method.

mugwump58

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3279

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »

OK I'll bite. What would I need to have on hand to perform this operation?

signed
Non-audiophile

In order to be an alien you must first have a space ship.
Mikiel

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Ducati 900SS, Ducati 748, Triumph Daytona 600, Ninja 250
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »

It's easy enough to do.  M.Brane and I use a program called CBMTool which you can download here free: http://www.kchall.plus.com/  Put that on your laptop, plug in a microphone (he has a nifty testing mic and a stand, but you could do this with any inexpensive tie-clip mic), and then pluck the belt like a guitar string.  This is much more accurate than the 5-mil allen wrench method or any spring tension tool I've tried, and it's the way Ducati recommends doing it now.  That said we did fabricate a custom wrench for the tensioner pulley on my 748.  That's not strictly necessary, but it makes it much easier to get the tension right and then tighten the locking nut without moving the tensioner pulley.
Desmo Demon

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »

Change your own belts, and save big $$$$. It's not that hard for anyone who has reasonable mechanical skill, and the required audio equipment. Valve adjustments are not as bad as most think, but then again you need to be reasonably skilled in tedious mechanical procedures, and be able to keep track of what you're doing. No interruptions can be tolerated. The parts/tools can be bought for less than the cost of having someone do it for you once so if you do it twice you've paid for it, and learned a valuable skill.

I've been doing all my own maintenance on my Ducs (and Duc-powered Bimota) for about ten years, now. After the purchase of a shim kit ($250-$300), a good set of allen wrenches ($30-$40), and a decent feeler guage set ($20-$25), a belt change and valve adjustment costs about $60 for a 2V bike and $140 for a 4V bike (a little cheaper for the older SBK engines) as this is just the cost of the belts. I also have been using the 5mm allen wrench or belt twist test for setting tension on my bikes without any issues. Over the years, I think I've done over 25 valve adjustments between my bikes and a few bikes of friends.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Triumph Speed Triple and Kawasaki Versys
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5133

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »

Deforming plastic gas tanks (not covered under warranty)???

Are the Multis having this issue? I've just read about some Ducati models having issues and owners not happy with the factory response...
this is what I am waiting to hear about, truth or BS. Some places I hear about it ,. Whats the skinny owners??

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »

Actually there is a class action lawsuit that now forces Ducati to replace the defective fuel tanks.
Google it

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »

Ok , but have they done anything to the original design to fix the problem or is it you have to  sue when it screws up?Also if the original design was never improved how many replacements do you get before its your problem?

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »

The design is not the problem it's the ethanol that the government insists should be in our gasoline. This is not a problem anywhere else in the world.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »

The design is not the problem it's the ethanol that the government insists should be in our gasoline. This is not a problem anywhere else in the world.
Well gee if they are selling it here, don't you think they should allow for the ethanol??

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5754

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »

I always seek out gas stations that sell premo without the ethanol.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »

Well gee if they are selling it here, don't you think they should allow for the ethanol??

No, I don't. I DO think that our government, and the corn lobby should stop forcing us to burn food in our fuel tanks. Plastic fuel tanks are not the only thing that ethanol fuels destroy.

I always seek out gas stations that sell premo without the ethanol.

I would too if that were an option here.
jeepinbanditrider

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300A, 79 Suzuki GS1000
GPS: MCAS MIRAMAR
Miles Typed: 1201

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »

Rented a Multi while I was at a military required school in Cali.  Put 700 miles on it in two half days (was getting out of class around 10 or 11 everyday) and it was  joy to ride.  Very fun bike, wheelie machine for sure with all that torque.  Easy to thread though traffic (lane split).  

Honestly the sound alone with the Arrow pipes made me think of getting one  Lol but then I looked at the maint. schedule and decided I rode too many miles to justify it.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:29:41 PM by jeepinbanditrider » Logged

1979 GS1000,  2007 BMW F800ST,  1997 Suzuki DR350SE
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »

No, I don't. I DO think that our government, and the corn lobby should stop forcing us to burn food in our fuel tanks. Plastic fuel tanks are not the only thing that ethanol fuels destroy.

I would too if that were an option here.
So Ducati should sell ,machines which they know will have fuel tank problems??? You aren't even making sense.The gas is being sold regardless . politics , take that shit to PO.

tomek

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: Chicago
Miles Typed: 1771

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »

It's actually very accurate, and pretty simple for an audio guy like myself. 110hz for a Desmoquattro IIRC.

Headscratch EEK! This has to be some kind of joke ,,,,,,,,,,,, 5 bucks says that if you run that motor to the "redline"  ( yea , I know ) once or twice , perhaps bounce off rev limiter couple of times and that whole adjustment goes out of the window .

Now , E10 . It took Columbus 5-6 weeks to sail from Spain to America , Ethanol gasoline has been on the market for what ?   30 some years  ? Not enough time for that piece of info to travel all that way to Bologna ?

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
OSJ
DunkinDuck

Reputation 18

GPS: West Boylston MA
Miles Typed: 649

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »

Ive owned 3 Ducati's in the past 8 years, including a 1100 multi.  I'm not a mechanic, I don't have the correct tools, enough space, or the time and knowledge to do the required maintenance.  And to be honest that's not the enjoyment I get out of motorcycling...I would rather ride.

However I knew this going in, that's why I waited until bike # 19 before I purchased my first Duck...and when I knew I could afford the service.  The average motorcyclist needs to know this too.  Either be a great mechanic with lots of money invested in tools and know how to use them or put some money aside for service.

My first Ducati was a 800ss with very little problems, I traded it for the 1100 multi.  I missed my 800 so much I traded the Multi back for the SS 4 years later.  My problem with that Multi was tank swelling and dash that was not water proof (ECU is in the dash) Because I like to ride (which means also riding in the rain) I had several problems...the ducati faithful say the solution is to not ride in the rain.

The tank issue is the real reason I went back to a metal tank Ducati.  Tank swelling is NOT just a multi problem...1198, Monster, Sport Classics all have major issues.  My feeling is if Ducati wants to proffit off these machines here in the states than they dam well better sell a machine that can preform without the gas tanks swelling so bad you cant remove them from the frame...in less than 2 years!!!  There are some older style multi's that have 2 or 3 tanks on them.  What happens to that owner in 5 years when Ducati no longer has those tanks in stock??

Sorry you cant blame the fuel suppliers, government or anyone else for this.  There are plenty of other motorcycle manufactures that have figured out this problem, Ducati can't?  And they keep making bikes with plastic tanks??  
Mikiel

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Ducati 900SS, Ducati 748, Triumph Daytona 600, Ninja 250
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

This has to be some kind of joke ,,,,,,,,,,,, 5 bucks says that if you run that motor to the "redline"  ( yea , I know ) once or twice , perhaps bounce off rev limiter couple of times and that whole adjustment goes out of the window .

I'll take that bet.  That photo was taken while adjusting the belts on my track bike, which has been bounced off the rev limiter more times than I can count.  Although I check the tension as part of my regular maintenance after each track day, I rarely need to adjust it.  This is the method Ducati recommends for setting belt tension.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal