Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: You all know you're screwed now, right?  (Read 12841 times)

nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Street Triple, W650, V7 Cafe, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1203

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »

Funny comment about size.  I preferred the reach to the bars on the Monster and constantly think about getting Suburban Machinery or other clubman style bars for my Street Triple.  Main reason I haven't is because the uprights bars are better for 2 up riding, especially around the city.  The hand guards have grown on me as well and probably wouldn't work on lower bars very well.

Regarding luggage, I've been really happy with the Kriega US40 set up (1 US 20 and 2 US10 bags) on my Street Triple.  They are like part of the bike and do not shift at all.  The straps are a little big of a pain the first time you put them on but are easy to use once set up.  Not a great pic since it is crammed in with my tent/tarp on the luggage rack, and has my rain gear bungeed to the top, but gives some sense of how small it packs.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/nevinreilly/Rides/Xcountry%20ride%20Aug%202011/DSCF1768.jpg

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13986

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »

The Duc is raw.  It judders and shudders and vibes and twitters...you can hear the valves tapping and rattling through the cam covers and the belts grind and roar with the exhaust.  

Bigok

That pretty much sums up the appeal of eye-talian bikes for me.

I could care less about horsepower figures or weight.

I want a visceral ride  Inlove

st2sam

Reputation 120

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '93 Ducati 907ie '09 Kawasaki C14 abs
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying workhorse!
Miles Typed: 1519

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

Thanks Robert, IMHO you missed your calling.  Razz

Anywho, I'll be trading my C14 this winter for a, well you described my wants to a tee.  Thumbsup
I have owned two Ducati ST bikes, a 2000 ST2 and a 2005 ST3 that I put a total of almost 50,000mi. on.  I have owned many bikes (45yrs. riding street) and the only bikes I regret selling are the two Ducati's, so I know what your saying...
I'm looking forward to reports, updates and most important pictures about the new bike...........

Change is good, but only for a while..
Kawasaki makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7536

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »

Welcome to the fold.....the Italian one. Smile
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4444

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

Second Farkle plug added.    Lol

Oh, and I've discovered two bolts that have rattled free.     Bigok

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
rgbeard

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 Speed Triple, 2001 Trophy 1200
GPS: Bonsall, CA, Ensenada, Mexico & Phx, AZ
Miles Typed: 3947

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »

I'm just glad this idjut made a decision, finally!!!     Bigsmile

Not only did we burn cell phone minutes discussing each bike in nauseating detail, while we were flying, he couldn't stop talking about it either!!

Here we are, short final for Temecula, and while I'm setting up a nice landing, I hear more "Ducati..... (____), and BMW ... (___)".  When will it ever end, I ask.

Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol

(all in jest, of course! This has been the most fun new-motorcycle talk in a long time.  Especially in the light that I just turned a new one down from my boss.)

The distance between ďImpossible!Ē and ďAll we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motorĒ is about 10 drinks.
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »

Congrats Robert!  She's a beaut!

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »

Oh, and I've discovered two bolts that have rattled free.    

Those are spares.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
slowduc

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Duc M750Sie
GPS: bawlmer, merlin
Miles Typed: 329

My Photo Gallery

rawr!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »

Oh, and I've discovered two bolts that have rattled free.     Bigok

wait till you start finding rubber "pucks" on your garage floor and start wondering "what the f...?"  Headscratch
do they still put those in between the fins on the cylinders?
Lawn Dart

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »

oooooh, packages arrived!  Ram Balls, Garmin Power Connector...and Symtec's!   Bigsmile

A Farkling I will go...A Farkling I will go!   Bigok

And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5767

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

http://youtu.be/5xRXRZHBibs

oops, how'd this get in here?
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 98 RC46, 94 & 97 RC36s, 93 GTS1000
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »

Comgrats on the new bike my friend! She's a beaut! Bigok
viffergyrl

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1090

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »

Ooooooo I am so envious.  Drool Inlove I've had the small nekkid thing nibbling at me as well. Soaking up your comments on your three test rides.

Of course I have one other concern. I see passenger pegs in the first photo. Is Mrs. Lawn Dart going to be joining you on the back once in awhile? I'm thinking that won't be the most comfortable pillion seat.....

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
Lawn Dart

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »

Drool Inlove I've had the small nekkid thing nibbling at me as well.

Errr, Ummm...Errr...YEAH!   Bigok  

Bigsmile

(PS:  come on by and take the Monster for a ride.  You got the address!)

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 98 RC46, 94 & 97 RC36s, 93 GTS1000
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:10 AM »

I'm laughing too hard to post anything witty.
viffergyrl

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1090

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 02:05:02 AM »

Banana Chili Banana Chili

It just wouldn't be right if I didn't leave a little bait for y'alls...  Bigsmile

However I might have to take you up on your offer, Robert....  Wink

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:21 AM »

The Duc wins because it FEELS like what MOTORCYCLING is all about.
I hear ya--exactly my reason for buying my Buell.  Like Gil says, it's about the experience, not the specs...

Congrats on the Monster.  One of my riding buddies has a '95 M900...beautiful!

(BTW, a few years ago I got to demo a Monster 696 and Street Triple R back to back--the Street III is the logical preference, but I enjoyed riding the Ducati more strictly because the engine is so much more raw...)

E=MC2
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13986

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »

The Duc wins because it FEELS like what MOTORCYCLING is all about.

Udo Gietl, the man who built the AMA superbike winning R90S back in the 1970s, rides a Monster and said in a recent article that,"an air-cooled v-twin is all the motorcycle he needs"  Smile

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Udo Gietl, the man who built the AMA superbike winning R90S back in the 1970s, rides a Monster and said in a recent article that,"an air-cooled v-twin is all the motorcycle he needs"  Smile

This is why Harley does so well.
And to a slightly lesser extent, Moto Guzzi...

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Lawn Dart

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »

Right!  So it's time for a 900 mile review!    Bigsmile

I've managed to put down about three rides so far - two pie runs and a midnight run to burn off a few miles to get to my 600 mile service.  

So here are my thoughts.  The bike is light, way light.  It handles like a DREAM!  It's almost too light - diving into corners so much faster than I ever expected.  I've really had to slow down my motions and reduce my steering inputs dramatically.  Body weighting the pegs and hanging off really moves the bike around a lot so getting super smooth in my motions is really the name of the game.

The power is just about perfect for the street.  Once again I'm looking for a couple extra RPM's but the gearbox is quick and smooth shifting.  It's simply a matter of adjusting my riding style to reflect the bike.  What I do like a lot is how communicative the engine is.  The power peak signs off at 7500 RPM and hits the limiter about 1k later.  The good news is that you can feel the sweet spot and just know exactly when to shift by feel.

For the record, the 85-ish HP at the rear wheel is plenty adequate with a 430# bike!  

Traction control - heck, I've set it on Level 4 (the most intrusive) and haven't set it off yet.  Granted, I'm not exactly peg dragging at the track, but it's not going off on normal riding.  Seth (riding friend) did have it go off in conjunction with ABS and an accidental stoppie and said it was pretty harsh.  Unexpected might be the better word.  Regardless, I'm glad to have it and will report more when I know more.  

The OEM tires (Rosso II's) appear to be quite decent and have plenty of traction.  No problems there.

The seat is plenty comfortable for 325 mile days and my knees aren't  showing any issues.  I think 500 mile days as a stock bike/saddle are fully doable.  On the other end, the tank range is barely 140 miles and I'm filling up around 120.  With no tank bag to worry about gas and go stops are super fast.   It's delivering a super consistent 40mpg and I'm not really being nice on the throttle.  Gotta break then engine in right ya know!

Iíve changed to a 14 tooth front (OEM 15 tooth) and itís made a HUGE difference in the rideability of the bike.  It spins up much quicker and the power is spot on.  Big plus that 6th gear is actually useable now.

The bike surges.  Iím sure this is a part of the super lean Euro-3 emissions that are strangling the bike.  A lot of people are recommending either a power commander or FatDuc O2 module.  Iíll have to figure out if these things affect warranty.  If not, Iíll do a FatDUC and see if that helps.  Regardless, under 5k you can definitely feel the bike hunting around on maintenance and partial throttle.  

The looks:  this bike has massive garage appeal.  I constantly find myself walking into the garage to look at the bike and wonder ďwhat will I do nextĒ.  Itís a dream machine and I canít wait to start doing some longer distances (500+ mile days) on it.  

So, Iíve read a lot about people complaining about tank range on the bike.  Really, it hasnít been a problem.  Iím sure itís going to limit me in some ways (round trips to out of the way places and the Haul Road come to mind).  

Suspension is quite decent but certainly not up to maximum pace standards.  It needs stiffer springs (Iím already maxed on spring pre-load up front and itís still 10mm too much static sag) and thereís a lot of stiction in the sliders.  On the other hand itís fully adjustable up front and Iím sure a solid track day will work wonders on settings.

The rear shock is ideally suited sag-wise right off the shelf for meÖbut is only rebound adjustable.  I ďthinkĒ itís ok about 1 click soft of mid-setting for street riding but I suspect itís going to lack on the track and move around a lot.  Iíve managed to put Ohlins or something on each one of my bikes for the past 12 years so itís not like Iím expecting this one to be any different.  Iím leaning towards a Penske shock this time aroundÖand some kind of diamond slicking/springs on the forksÖperhaps a lighter fluidÖgotta play the track game first!

Other miscellaneous notes:  This bike gets LOOKS.  Great looks from people all over the place Ė itís a fine looking bike and actually quite easy to ride.  Ducati increased the steering lock quite a bit and itís not been a problem (like a specific previous edition I rode onceÖ).  Rev limiter is not the brick wall the previous gen was.  The exhaust has a great raspy snort to it that just sounds great at stoplights and starting up.

Wind management:  notice I said Management and not protection!  The wind is smooth, the seating position works with the wind, and I didnít feel tired or beat up in spite of 180 miles of Orange County freeway speeds (ie:  thatís called moving fast!).  

Biggest single drawback to the Monster?  I feel the horrible need to buy leather and ditch the ĎStitch!  But finding some kind of slightly classic looking leathersÖwith knee sliders is a challenge!

Next big ride should be a Monterey Run and about 1100 miles on a weekend.  

Current Farkle List:
1.  Gerbings e-Plug on the top of the gas tank (for accessories)
2.  Gerbings e-Plug on the bottom left corner of the tank (for actual e-vest hookup)
3.  Garmin Nuvi 500 on a quick-release RAM setup with a spliced Gerbings e-Plug connector (specifically, RadioShack N-Series male plug)
4.  USB plug spliced to a N-Series plug for any USB related recharging such as IPhones, etc.
5.  Spliced an N-Series plug into my Beltronics Radar power cord.
6.  Removed the Carbon Cannister (*with the intent of converting it into a flat repair storage kit because there is no room under the seat.)
7.  14 tooth front sprocket.  (Really, this should be standard.)
8.  Flat repair kit under the seat (and Iím not kidding, I can BARELY get 2 CO2ís under the seat.  Itís that tight.)
9.  Dual Ram Balls Ė one under each mirror stem.

Future Farkle List:
1.   Heated Grips.  
2.   Throttle lock of some kind.  My right arm is awfully stiff from the accident.  It seems to keep going WOT on myÖ
3.   ErrrÖthatís all really!

Luggage Plans:
1.  Bags Connection CargoBag for touring
2.  Bags connection Reverse bag on the tank for touring
3.  If I really need to, Wolfman Tank Panniers to load balance a bit and add some wind protection on the knees.  Iím not thinking this will be necessary though.  

There are no intentions to run any form of bags for normal day in riding.

Itís definitely not the right bike for everyone.  But itís certainly the right  bike for me today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal