Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Paging the Chicagoans  (Read 1358 times)

sleazy rider

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 5437

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »

Acquaintance is coming over the pond next week to town.  He's staying at the Doubletree Miracle Mile one night, then heading out to Schaumburg Convention Center for four more.  He needs suggestions for blues bar, places to eat on an expense account Wink and touristy stuff.  All suggestions welcome and will be forwarded on to him.

I've sent him the link for this page.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:59:03 AM by sleazy rider » Logged
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -97

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15390

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »

Are you talking about the Blues Bar in Mt. Prospect?

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »

Any nice blues bars in the downtown area?
Cab

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: Kawa Z1000
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »

Ta Sleazy.

I think it's the Hilton - magnificent mile that I'm in on the Sat night. Or it could be the doubletree. TBH, until I check my travel plans email again, I don't know  Smile

Tips for the Sat night would be more than appreciated. Sun-Thurs will more than likely be covered by my colleagues in Schaumberg.

Cab
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »

Welcome to the board, Cab.  
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

Hey Cab! 

Hilton Mag Mile is a nice hotel- I'm there about once a month.  The restaurant downstairs isn't too shabby if you're just pooped from traveling either.

Andy's Jazz Club is my favorite downtown.  It's not too far from the House of Blues if you'd rather have the overly-commercial equivalent.  If he's a hard-core music guy, go to the Green Mill or M-Lounge.  Green Mill usually has a bad-ass organ trio called Sabertooth there on the late jam most Saturdays.  Just north of the Excalibur (big dance club) there's a smaller spot called The Joynt; my jobbing guys have a residency there on most Friday's and Saturday's.

For blues, just head to Buddy Guy's Legends and call it a night- Buddy shows up there to sit in a few days a week.  For something more off the beaten path and really authentic; go to Kingston Mines on the north side.  Don't eat the food; they just got the rat problem under control.  Crazy

In Schaumburg, there's Durty Nellie's around the corner in Palatine.  It's a dual-stage rock and blues club, lots of cover bands, easy parking.  It's a bit of a drive, but there's a combination ski-hill and bar in Lisle for the younger crowd  called The Four Lakes.  There'll be a loud-ass band just about every night.  As far as dining, you pretty much can't go wrong in Schaumburg, since there's a ton of money in the area.  If he's got an expense account, I recommend the Capital Grille right by the airport.  Prepare to blow some cash- I think our last bill for three was close to $600.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:08:42 PM by Fourstring » Logged

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
Cab

Reputation -1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »

Hey Cab! 

Wotcha.

Hilton Mag Mile is a nice hotel- I'm there about once a month.  The restaurant downstairs isn't too shabby if you're just pooped from traveling either.

Andy's Jazz Club is my favorite downtown.  It's not too far from the House of Blues if you'd rather have the overly-commercial equivalent.  If he's a hard-core music guy, go to the Green Mill or M-Lounge.  Green Mill usually has a bad-ass organ trio called Sabertooth there on the late jam most Saturdays.  Just north of the Excalibur (big dance club) there's a smaller spot called The Joynt; my jobbing guys have a residency there on most Friday's and Saturday's.

Nice one, will probably check one or two of those out.

For blues, just head to Buddy Guy's Legends and call it a night- Buddy shows up there to sit in a few days a week.  For something more off the beaten path and really authentic; go to Kingston Mines on the north side.  Don't eat the food; they just got the rat problem under control.  Crazy

I did try to sort out something at Buddy Guy's, but he's all booked up for the Sat night.  Crazy

In Schaumburg, there's Durty Nellie's around the corner in Palatine.  It's a dual-stage rock and blues club, lots of cover bands, easy parking.  It's a bit of a drive, but there's a combination ski-hill and bar in Lisle for the younger crowd  called The Four Lakes.  There'll be a loud-ass band just about every night.  As far as dining, you pretty much can't go wrong in Schaumburg, since there's a ton of money in the area.  If he's got an expense account, I recommend the Capital Grille right by the airport.  Prepare to blow some cash- I think our last bill for three was close to $600.

Ta again. I've not been to Chicago before so that'll be handy info. I can make out that I'm all clued up to my colleagues.  Lol
Grnarrowe
When did THAT happen?!

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
GPS: Round Lake IL
Miles Typed: 1874

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »

Try Kingston Mines on Halsted and Blues right across the street.  

http://kingstonmines.com/

BAD decisions make for GOOD stories.
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »

Since you're out in the 'burbs, Cab, you may want to recommend Schnitzel Platz to your colleagues for dinner one night.  Authentic German food every night and Hank & Bob Thursday-Sunday nights.  Hank & Bob are the coolest polka duo on the planet.  A couple of WWII vets playing bass and accordion, doing jazz standards polka style (as well as "I don't want her, you can have her; she's too fat for me.")

http://www.schnitzelplatz.com/

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Cab

Reputation -1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »

Try Kingston Mines on Halsted and Blues right across the street.  

http://kingstonmines.com/

That could be a go-er, thanks.
Cab

Reputation -1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »

Since you're out in the 'burbs, Cab, you may want to recommend Schnitzel Platz to your colleagues for dinner one night.  Authentic German food every night and Hank & Bob Thursday-Sunday nights.  Hank & Bob are the coolest polka duo on the planet.  A couple of WWII vets playing bass and accordion, doing jazz standards polka style (as well as "I don't want her, you can have her; she's too fat for me.")

http://www.schnitzelplatz.com/

Heheh, one of my colleagues attending is German.  Smile

Mind you, I've always tried to get a copy of fawlty towers and the "don't mention the war" clip to show her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2767

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

Heheh, one of my colleagues attending is German.  Smile

Mind you, I've always tried to get a copy of fawlty towers and the "don't mention the war" clip to show her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

Lol!

One night we were drinking with Chef Wolfgang, and Fourstring asked him where he learned to cook.  The response?  "In Germany!"

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »

That could be a go-er, thanks.

Seriously, don't eat the food.

Good news is, there's a 24 hour Mexican place two doors down on the same side of the street that probably makes the best burritos in Chicago.

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 8952

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

Hey Fourstring- what do you think about Blue Chicago?  I have always enjoyed that spot- but we often stay at the Best Western River North (right around the corner).  

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal