Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Learn me up on the 883 Iron, or similar  (Read 4469 times)

spd2918

Reputation -406

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4220

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »

Hi kids.

I have young female friend at work that is really excited about motorcycles and will be taking my MSF Basic this spring.  She is absolutely gaga over the 883 Iron.  She cannot be talked into getting a smaller bike to learn on and is sold on the Iron.

This is the color / look she is going for:

OK.  Brand new ones are $7,999 and used ones are not yet plentiful.  I was looking at cheaper, older Sporties that given that Iron look.  I was focusing on 2007 and later Sportsters due to the combo of the rubber mounted engines and Fuel Injection.

My question for you HD guys is this:  Is is reasonable to expect to find a good, low mileage 2007 or newer Sporty for under $4,500?

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
bomber

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17261

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »

Spd -- prices are very much location-dependant -- if there's been many  of layoffs in the area, and people really need to get out from under loans, or generate revenue, the prices MAY be more favorable (though it is every easy to get upsidedown on a bike note) . . . .

All that said, I would classify finding one of those scoots for that kind of price . .. .

I would also expect it to have been ridden poorly and maintained worse. . . the faithful often see these bikes (which, with a few judicious mods, mainly to the nearly nonexistent stock suspension, are HUGE fun) as entry level sleds -- dropped often, neglected, and not cared for.

Clearly, there are exceptions to every rule, but a good clean used example at your friend's price point will be tough to find.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Tiger 800 ABS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13680

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

The Iron began as a 2009 model.  Prior to that was the 1200 Nightster, which was introduced in 2007.  If you get a pre-2009 883 Sportster, it will not have the blackened effect.  

For the mid-mount control 883 model of 2007, I would look at the XL883R which is the Roadster model.  I believe it was available in black, but not as darkened as the Iron.  The Roadster has slightly higher suspension and seat height.  I'm not sure about the pricing - $4500 sounds a little light, but earlier pre-2007 Roadster should be around that price.  The rubber-mounted engine happened in 2004.

That said, try to recommend a Suzuki Savage LS650 (now known as S40), which is nearly 200lb's lighter, cheap, and can be painted black.  My wife loves her Savage.  
spd2918

Reputation -406

Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

2007 was the first year of standard FI, right?  That's why I started at that year.

She would put up with a chrome or crinkle silver engine finish, but the body must be flat black or mostly flat black.  I told her painting is not a big deal (I have a friend with a body shop).  Her boyfriend works on HDs and will adjust or mod it for her at little cost.  I thought due to the low initial cost there would be more low mileage examples for a decent savings from new.

Take a look here:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/2758758044.html

This thing has 5K miles and the dope is asking $1,000 from new.  Whatever.  I'd like to find one for her like this for $5,500 or less.  A little older and needing a little flat black paint I'd expect to pay even less than that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:41:25 AM by spd2918 » Logged

Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

2007 was the first year of standard FI, right?  That's why I started at that year.

Yes.

On the CL link - $6900 is a fairly median price based on those listed in Cycletrader.  The HD's do hold value pretty well.
NoGear

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR1300
GPS: Formerly of al Taji, Iraq, now Camp Buehring, Kuwait
Miles Typed: 369

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:50 AM »

Harleys are always overpriced except when it's obvious that they have been trashed. IMHO.  I've owned two in the past and doubt I'd own one again. For the money she could find a better bike that costs less and have money left over to Farkle it the way she wants.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives
spd2918

Reputation -406

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »

Harleys are always overpriced except when it's obvious that they have been trashed. IMHO.  I've owned two in the past and doubt I'd own one again. For the money she could find a better bike that costs less and have money left over to Farkle it the way she wants.

Agreed, but her boyfriend works on them and she has decided that is what she wants.  I have long ago decided to stop arguing with women about logical life choices.  Bigsmile

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »

.  I have long ago decided to stop arguing with women about logical life choices.  Bigsmile

smart move

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
bomber

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »

Agreed, but her boyfriend works on them and she has decided that is what she wants.  I have long ago decided to stop arguing with women about logical life choices.  Bigsmile

Wise.

If her boyfriend works on HDs, and I were involved in the passion play, I'd pretty much move away slowly, without establishing eye contact . . . while you might garner karmic points in the search and acquisition of the desired bike, it's even money that your good name would become besmirched due to no fault of your own.

Just sayin ;-}

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
Rincewind

Reputation 122

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »

Wise.

If her boyfriend works on HDs, and I were involved in the passion play, I'd pretty much move away slowly, without establishing eye contact . . . while you might garner karmic points in the search and acquisition of the desired bike, it's even money that your good name would become besmirched due to no fault of your own.

Just sayin ;-}

Even smarter move. Wink  Lol
viffergyrl

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1067

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »

Yes.

On the CL link - $6900 is a fairly median price based on those listed in Cycletrader.  The HD's do hold value pretty well.

Lol Well that's what the owners would like to believe! Funny how the actual selling price is never provided; only the advertised price.

I bought a 1999 Sportster in 2000. The owner wanted to upgrade to his next big Harley and wanted $7100 for it. I pointed out that I could get a NEW 2000 Sportster for $7200 out the door from a local dealer. I offered him KBB - $5000 for the bike. He was highly insulted and huffed off. Time passed. He came back to me and asked if I was still interested in the bike. I was and we agreed on $6000.

So apparently a lack of logic is not gender-specific....  Smile
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:32:04 PM by viffergyrl » Logged

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 26

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BigStrom, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4435

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

Just tell her that as a newb she WILL drop that top-heavy beastie, so get whatever color she can find cheapest and then rattle-can flat black over the inevitable rash.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »

Wise.

Just sayin ;-}

Yup let the bf deal with the whole process.  When she complains about the bike she gets, then drops it, it's going to be his fault because dammit she really wanted an Iron and he should have sprung for it...

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
bomber

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »

A conversation with my HD-only riding inlaws produced the following data point.

In-laws "Sportsters are the most dangerous bike that Harely makes. It must be something to do with the 4 cams."

Me "Really? How could the number of cams make a scoot more dangerous?" (I really had no idea where this one was headed).

In-laws "It's obvious -- all the Sportster riders we know complain about the way the bike handles, and almost all of them wind up dropping it. The biggest difference ishte number of cams -- all the big twins have two. So, after they get a little experience, they are all new riders of course, they get a REAL bike, and they are much safer."

Me "Can I get either of you a beer while I'm up?"

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3810

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

In-laws "Sportsters are the most dangerous bike that Harely makes. It must be something to do with the 4 cams."

Me "Really? How could the number of cams make a scoot more dangerous?" (I really had no idea where this one was headed).

In-laws "It's obvious -- all the Sportster riders we know complain about the way the bike handles, and almost all of them wind up dropping it. The biggest difference ishte number of cams -- all the big twins have two. So, after they get a little experience, they are all new riders of course, they get a REAL bike, and they are much safer."

Lol Lol Lol Lol

I'm going to look up the number of cams on my bikes to see if I can remove them to make my bike safer! Maybe we could do this in the lab?

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
jstark47

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 05 V-Strom 1000 (for sale), 03 Trophy 1200, 09 F650GS (wife's), 12 Tiger 800
GPS: Lumberton, NJ
Miles Typed: 521

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »

I have young female friend at work that is really excited about motorcycles and will be taking my MSF Basic this spring.  She is absolutely gaga over the 883 Iron.  She cannot be talked into getting a smaller bike to learn on and is sold on the Iron.

Sounds like my stepdaughter.  HAD to have a Harley for her first bike, nothing else would do.  She is poor, so a 1990 883 is her H-D.  Like your friend, she is gaga over the blacked out look, and lusts to own an Iron or a Forty Eight someday.  Must be a young people's thing, I don't see the attraction myself.

Her '90 handles surprisingly well, it's lighter than the rubber-mount Sportys.  I had it out last weekend to exercise it (she won't ride in the cold), the goofy thing is kinda fun for bombing around back country roads...... in a primitive, farm tractor kind of way.   Bigsmile
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »

Does it have to be FI? If she can figure out how to master a choke she could save alot of coin. To me, most of the changes between sportster models seem to be cosmetic so she could shop around for an older (and much more affordable) 883. 883 low or 883 hugger + flat black paint = 883 custom sportster iron. Flat black is so the new chrome! Add some genuine Harley Davidson accessories and she's in!
That being said I think a Suzuki Savage would a MUCH better ride for a new rider, but she wants what she wants! It could be worse she could be dead set on a new R1 or something.
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »

My brain would have exploded.  

When I'd get 'girl's bike' comments 'bout my hot-rod Sport, I'd reply that my quad-cam could beat their twin-cam.  Bigsmile

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Playinthestreet

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »

Please admit that this is your 2012 entry for "The Burlington Liars Club".
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

So, by this reasoning an H2 750 Kawasaki would be the safest bike ever! Lol
bomber

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »

Please admit that this is your 2012 entry for "The Burlington Liars Club".

I really, and I mean REALLY wish that was the case . . . . .

They're nice enough folks, but they are simply preloaded to believe anything the HD collective that is their circle of friends tells em -

The GOOD news is that it is further (unneeded) confirmation that I married the right sister.

-- Jane Catherine Lotter
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »

OP- Here ya go:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/2786272968.html

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »

Sounds like my stepdaughter.  ........ Like your friend, she is gaga over the blacked out look, and lusts to own an Iron or a Forty Eight someday.  Must be a young people's thing, I don't see the attraction myself.

Exactly.  The Dark series bikes really appeal to younger riders and shows Harley is not just going after the old farts crowd.
And it is working.

spd2918

Reputation -406

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »

Good, but these are better:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/2770736405.html

http://southbend.craigslist.org/mcy/2744611311.html

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »

If legit ads, those prices would never exist in LA.

keepergale

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 02 VFR
GPS: San Diego Ca.
Miles Typed: 434

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »

Exactly.  The Dark series bikes really appeal to younger riders and shows Harley is not just going after the old farts crowd.
And it is working.

It works on me and I'm not even young. I like the way the 48 looks. Not enough to put one in the garage but I stare every time I see one.
Playinthestreet

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

The black exhaust started with the XLX in 81?  Engine wasn't blacked out then.  $3995.00
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:31:23 PM by Playinthestreet » Logged
mjrfd99

Reputation -28

Motorcycles: 79 FX- 77 XLCH-75 H1 F- 03 Busa-05 Concours
GPS: Jersey Shore
Miles Typed: 866

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

Buyers market for sportys around my AO's [FL+NJ] Between the overstock at dealers and most sporty owners upgrade when their yuppie pirate friends rag on their little HD, you can get a super deal on any one of em.

Stop by @4:20.
Despot candidate for the future
dan88z

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
GPS: Smyrna, DE
Miles Typed: 281

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »

I'd defer this entire process to the boyfriend. Let him deal with it.

'11 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal