Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Russia and Scandinavia - Four weeks on a SV650S (part 2 online)  (Read 43698 times)

AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: Suzuki SV650S & DRZ-400S
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »

Last year has been a very intense motorcycling year for me. Lots of riding, and the highlight was a trip around northern Europe in four weeks. Thought I'd share the ride report with you.

Starting on June 30, I rode through Germany, Finland, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands and France back to Switzerland on July 30.

My other videos can be found here: AlpineGuerrilla

Here's the approx. route:

(red = car train/ferry)

This trip has been something special for me. I've never been away from home for that long, not solo, or through such different countries as Russia. That said, I made a lot of research and careful planning. But still, there were a lot of unknown things. But that was supposed to be part of the trip.

Part 1: Northbound

So that's me, I'm 23 years old, riding bikes since 17. I "upgraded" from a 125cc bike to the SV650 in 2010, and made a lot of trips to the Alps, for example to Nice or Lake Garda. But I felt the urge to go further.

After months of waiting for the day to come, the last week working flew by insanely fast. I got home at 5PM, packed the final stuff and headed to Germany. The terminal for the car train to Hamburg is only half an hour from my home. The train rides from southern Germany to Hamburg over night - so I begin my trip the next morning in Hamburg. I have a lot of time on my hands, the ferry to Finland goes at 3AM the next morning, and I can embark at 9PM. That means a whole day for 70km where the crow flies. I take my time and look for some small backroads. The land is very flat with no twisties, so the bad roads are the most interesting. A pretty cool road...

After arriving in Helsinki, I make my way along the coast to the russian border. The sea only shows itself a couple of times.

I still haven't arrived in the trip entirely. Only when standing at the russian border I realise what I'm about to do. Well, there's no turning back now. It takes three hours to go through the border. In full gear and 30C (86C). There is no information about where I have to get which form and where I have to get a stamp after I filled it out. I get screamed at by an old hag (probably called Olga) for parking my bike where the cars are parked. Or so I guess, since I don't understand a single word of russian. Two swedes help me out with the forms, they are heading to Siberia on shiny new KTM adventure bikes. Another checkpoint after the border and I'm finally in Russia!

It's been a long day. I decide to take a random track into the woods and pitch my tent.

The next day it's time to ride to St. Petersburg. The roads are sometimes only a patchwork of potholes and gravel, and sometimes it's freshly paved. But alltogether no problem.

Two days later, after sightseeing in the city and meeting and being invited for drinking with a group of russians I get out of town and in direction of Murmansk!

After a day of riding through a lot of villages, bad road works and amazing forests, I pitch my tent in the woods, again. The place is a jackpot.

Three russians take the same random road (what a coincidence, the next village is 50km away!) and we keep company for the evening. Swetlana, Aleksandr & Sergei are from Moscow and they're back from a trip to the Barents sea. Only Aleksandr knows a little bit german, otherwise the communication consists only of signs.

Long and straight roads, endless landscapes. That's new for me. It's mesmerizing to ride.

I meet a lot of nice people. Even without words, they invite me for a  vodka. But it's easy to change the Vodka to a tea by showing the "throttle" gesture.

Karelia has amazing lake landscapes. Wow.

Well, guess which idiot forgot his note with important russian phrases and the cyrillic alphabet at home? It's pretty difficult to order food at restaurants. I remember that "salad" is the same in russian. So I order a salad. But apparently there are multiple salad menus. So I point to one on the menu. The waitress is still not satisfied with my order and asks something. "Da" (yes) is not the right answer. I have no idea what she wants to know. After a few minutes she gives up and just brings me a salad. Success!

The food alternatives from the roadside shops are not worth a consideration. It still looks a lot better than it tastes!

Getting gas is interesting, too. Park the bike at the desired pump, go to the clerk and order the needed amount of gas. Sounds easy? Guess again.
Show the amount of litres with your hands, point to your bike repeatedly and get a puzzled look. Write down "95" on a paper and try again. Start over again because the clerk doesn't believe you only want 3 liters of fuel (I was a bit overly cautios).

I meet some russians in Apatity, with whom I wrote a couple of times on Couchsurfing. They wanted to take me on a hiking trip to the Chibiny mountains. The three-day hike was pretty cool. These mountains are really untouched by humans. There's no cell phone coverage, no signs or anything else. One of them does commercial tours of the mountains and is now on a private trip. He got a boatload of emergency stuff (Spot Messenger, anti Bear spray, emergency food kits, etc.).

Did I tell you, I'm already north of the arctic circle? This picture is taken at 3AM. Above the lake you can see a small road that ends at the lake. That's where we started a few hours earlier. The Russians carry a lot of food and alcohol. Good thing I brought my swiss kirsch. They compare it to self distilled Vodka. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not...

It's the warmest days of year, culminating at 28C (82F) - that's extremely hot for that latitude! So there's a lot of traffic to the lakes.

I finally arrive in Murmansk, where I stay with one of the hikers.

Aljosha statue in Murmansk, the 46th-biggest statue in the world.

The next day, I head west towards the norwegian border. A lot of military bases with old monuments, most of them from soviet times. Oh, and ugly cities that only exist for mining metals.

The russian border. There's one thing russians seem to take serious and that's their borders. 60km prior to the border is the first checkpoint. Barrier, machine guns and passport control. Same procedure 40km later. Additionaly, the militia recites his only english sentence. I have to ride the next 20km to the border in constant speed, stopping is not allowed and taking pictures - dont even think about it! I only understand "Suzuki" and a few numbers when he talks to his radio. Along the road are some  watchtowers, so I follow the given orders.
The border itself is an adventure, too. I already know the forms and they're filled out easily. The militia guy asks me some questions about my trip and finds my maps. The maps I printed out from yandex, the russian Google Maps. His face turns dark. He doesn't like the detailed maps and my handwritten notes. His boss joins and they talk furiously. I keep my poker face and only speak when spoken to. Again, they want to know about my notes and where I got the maps from. I ask if there's a problem, apparently not.
They let me go. My guess is, their day was boring (I haven't seen anyone else driving or riding to the border) and they wanted to scare that strange young dude with his bike.

But at least I get some cheap cigarettes from the duty free shop and take a picture of the border.

I leave Russia with a strange feeling, I don't know what to make of my experiences. Very nice and open people, beautiful landscapes on one hand, but everyone who is at work seems to be harsh and not cooperative at all. I guess that's the remains of the soviet times. But one thing I know: I will go back to Russia for sure!

Norway. The weather has been great for the last few days, they haven't dropped below 25C (77F).

The norwegians take this border serious, too. Well, it's a NATO-border.

The temperature drops at night and I wake up with rain and 6C (42F). I dry my stuff at the hotel the next night.

The lonesome and remarkably beautiful road to Hamningberg, almost as far north as the Nordkapp.

On the road to the Nordkapp.

The difference between Russia and Norway is intense. Suddenly, everyone speaks perfect english, there's a lot of tourists and motorcyclists and everything's expensive. It takes some time to acclimatize.

The Nordkapp is the turning point of my trip, from now on I will be riding south. Stay tuned for Part 2.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:37:12 PM by AlpineGuerrilla » Logged
birdrunner

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4640

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

Thanks for writing this up.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5687

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

I am enjoying the report so far. Looking forward to Part 2!

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »

Ausgezeichnet.  Vielen Dank

miles

Reputation 66

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A green one.
Miles Typed: 12712

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »

Awesome.

Three points where two lines meet
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11613

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »

Epic.  :popcorn:
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Street Triple, W650, V7 Cafe, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1189

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

Looks like a great ride.  Looking forward to the rest!
Kneescrubber
King of the 90 flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »

This is great Sev! Looking forward to the rest of it.  Twofinger

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4213

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »

Awesome!!  I would be scared to ride in Russia with absolutely no grasp of the language (yeah, I'm a weenie   ).  It looks amazing though! Maybe I'll have to reconsider. Lol

Norway is one of my favorite places on earth (never been there on a motorcycle though).  Really looking forward to part 2.   Bigok Thumbsup

Hockey season starts April 18!  Riding season starts as soon as I get a babysitter. Any takers?
07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
DosEquis00

Reputation 132

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2712

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »

The lonesome and remarkably beautiful road to Hamningberg, almost as far north as the Nordkapp.

This picture is awesome and thanks for putting together this report as I am looking forward to part 2. Thumbsup
sprk_sprd

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 05 Buell XB12s, 06 Buell XB12x
GPS: MD
Miles Typed: 167

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »

Very impressive trip, and equally impressive video documentation.   Thumbsup
BIWOZ

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: R1150RT aka "Eileen"
GPS: Huddled on the western edge of Australia
Miles Typed: 96

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

Excellent Thumbsup Had me hooked from the beginning. Can't wait for the rest.  Smile

Bruce
Baz

Reputation 16

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 8900

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing! Excellent photos!
jetapumper

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '06 Connie
GPS: I.G.H. MN
Miles Typed: 444

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »

Epic. :popcorn:

+1. I try to stay away from ride reports. Frustrating as hell because I have no life and will never do something this awesome. But this trip? Very, very cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:49:26 PM by jetapumper » Logged

"Hard work never killed anybody. But why take the chance? -Edgar Bergen
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Fricken amazing. Thanks.

I love these exotic reports in strange lands. This is the kind of stuff I want to do before the toad here croaks off.  Thumbsup

halloween over.
Skee

Reputation 62

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1818

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »

Ausgezeichnet.  Vielen Dank

+1 what he said.

Awesome.  Can't wait for PART 2.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '14-? 2013FZ8; '11-'14 2002 CB 919; '09-? 2009FZ6 (black);'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 355

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

You are a brave soul, sir, doing this by your lonesome Thumbsup
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »

Great so far and I'm waiting for part 2.

Thanks for sharing.   Thumbsup

mastros2.wordpress.com
Rabidsnipe

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: None
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »

Incredible video.  Even my wife (who could care less about motorcycles) loved it.

-Chase
Meemuh

Reputation 135

Motorcycles: 1981 XS650, 2000 Concours
GPS: Holland, MI
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »

Thank you for this report...I can't wait for the rest.
hazra

Reputation -5

Motorcycles: '01 FZ1, '07 Roadliner
GPS: Allentown, PA
Miles Typed: 359

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:31:33 AM »

Wow... great report, sounds like quite a trip.  Can't wait for part 2!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

94gixxerod

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 1994 GSXR 1100; 2009 Connie
GPS: Chambersburg, PA
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

Thanks for your write up. I brought this to my teenage son's attention. He was very interested in your experience. He can't wait for your remaining continuation...

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.
RenegadeVT
Crazy Woodchuck

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger, 2000 SV650, 2010 Hypermotard 796
GPS: Vermont
Miles Typed: 906

My Photo Gallery

Im not stubborn, I just know when Im right

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »

Fantastic.  The video was awesome. Hail

Don't argue with stupid people, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.  I have lost my mind, if found handle
Montyburns

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Seattle, Washington
Miles Typed: 339

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »

Great report (and amazing video).  Can't wait for part 2.  

I'm not embarrassed to be with you.  I'm embarrassed to be seen with you.
Head
Gibbering Monster

Reputation 9

GPS: Copper Harbor, MI
Miles Typed: 743

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »

That part of Russia you went through looks pretty much like the UP of Michigan.  It is uncanny Lol.

More please, those northern roads and the beautiful harshness of the land is calling to me.

85 Honda Nighthawk S

"The purpose of life is to fight maturity."  -Dick Werthimer
AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

Wow, thanks for all your comments, I wasn't expecting that.  Smile Part two is in the works, but you will have to wait for a few more days.

Meanwhile, here's a kid on a scooter doing a wheelie in St. Petersburg.  Lol

Oddball

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »

Very nice!

IBA# 22015
ninjadad66

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 09 C-14
GPS: U.S. Region 1; Lancaster California
Miles Typed: 724

My Photo Gallery

Sport Touring...I like the sound of that

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »

Awesome ride report and video. Man It's been a while since I've ridden or camped out on the motorcycle forums, what a story to come back to. I enjoyed every picture and evey post Thumbsup Looking forward to part 2

One Eye on faith, the other on Mr. Murphy

http://www.2wheel4fun.com
AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »

Due to popular demand by a single person, here are some more impressions uf Russia.

In St. Petersburg, sports bikes are zooming by at insane speeds, doing wheelies and other stunts. Completely ignored by cagers and the police. They were too fast for my point and shoot. ;-)

Kivach waterfall in Karelia

Hearing about Gazprom on the news is one thing - but seeing a plant is another. Shortly after taking the picture, a truck with armed guys came from the plant. Phew, they didn't see me taking

pictures...

Changing roads at regional borders.

About 90% of the traffic between St. Petersburg and Murmansk is lorries. The gas stations show...

Every other Mile are turout points with these things to drive on - I don't know how to say in english.

They are used to repair your car - which is a common sight along the street.

Unfortunately, the truckers do the maintenance there and just leave the old tyres and oil at the place. :-(

The same with garbage. Shortly after I stopped at this turnout, the police stopped arrived and made a break (probably ate some donuts). Again a few minutes later, an old couple drove next to the

pile and added their stuff. The police didn't care at all.

The arctic circle in Russia.

People rip off a piece of the scarve and add it on the tree. I did, too.

This couple from Moscow was already photographing themselves in different poses in front of the arctic circle sign. They were still on it, when I left. Seemed to be an importan photo stop.

I like their license plate though.

The only english road sign I've seen. I had to check it out.

Road works on these sand roads? Just plow it.

Since the hiking trip was a pretty cool experience on the trip, I thought I'll show you some more pictures.

Meet the russians

AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »

Part 2: Riding South

The Nordkapp is neither the northernmost point of Europe, nor is it on continental europe (it's on a island), some typical tourist trap. But anyway, it's the northernmost point in Europe you can ride to. That's at least something. ;-) But that didn't matter too much, the ride is what counts, and riding in northern Europe is terrific.

Although I'm technically heading home from now on, there were still lots and lots of nice roads in front of me. I made a loop through finnish Lapland. I found a long and lonesome gravel through the nothingness of the Taiga. A stretch of 200 km (125 miles) with only a small village in between.

Getting dirty as it starts to rain. These kind of gravel roads are fun to ride on. They are unlike the gravel roads I've seen around here. Under the gravel is firm clay, which gives you at least some traction. The gravel and the vast hills make it interesting.

Sweden greeted me with sunshine. At a gas station I met a german couple on BMWs. Their travel itienary was pretty cool: Every morning, they would throw dices and let them decide the general direction of today. They started out in Oslo and had a lot of north and east "throws" but still plenty of time to play their game. Will have to try that out one day.

Beautiful Lofoten.

The Lofoten (Archipelago connected with impressive bridge constructions) are just at the right latitude to have the sunset all night long. I initially wanted to pitch my tent on the Lofoten sometime in the evening, but just couldnt stop myself from riding on. The sunset merges into sunrise seamlessly, so I ride through the night until 4AM and enjoy the empty roads and beautiful colours.

I finally settle at this beautiful spot on the beach.

Back on the mainland, I ride along the scattered coast, often the only way of getting further is taking the next ferry. I had to wait four hours for this ferry. No problem at all with a view like this.

Beautiful sunset on said ferry.

The captain mumbled something through the speakers and everybody got out with their cameras. I was no different. Apparently, we were crossing the Arctic circle.

And then the big rain started. Since I've crossed the border to Norway, there was rain every day, but the sun always came back. The dropped temperatures were ok, as long as it didn't rain all day. But it was different now. For days it has been raining 90% of the day. Only a few times I got some sunshine - this was when I mostly took out the camera. Unfortunately, I forgot my cheap point & shoot in a hut a few days earlier (got it back though), and I didn't take a lot of pictures in the rain with my new and shiny DSLR.

All this rain was too much for the spark plug in the front cylinder. A known problem with the SV - the only one I ever had in 62'000km! I ride slowly to the next gas station, where I can replace the spark plug. The clerk seems to have pity with the drowned rat and supplies me with free coffee. It takes a while until I figure out how to replace the spark - hey I'm a noob at working with my bike.

I'm riding late into the night, there's of course still enough light. I love the calmness. The rain stops for a few hours and I enjoy the sights.

This is what the motorcycle school looks like in Norway.

I don't really want anybody to influence throttle and brakes from the backseat.

Roadside attractions

Extremely expensive, but tasty burger from the gas station.

The atlantic road south of Trondheim

The next highlight: The Trollstigen (Trolls ladder). Not a lot of pictures - but I captured a lot of clips for the video. Had the road almost to myself. Ok it was about 10PM and raining, but it was fun.

Completely wet and cold I look for bed a and a shower. Temperatures of 6C (42F) and rain all day long for several days is extremely wearisome. No chance, I'm too late. Every hotel is booked, stupid me, it's main season in Norway! I catch the last ferry to Geiranger where I meet a fellow swiss, having the same problem. Our last chance is the small village of Eisdal on the other side of the Fjord. We're in luck, there's one small room with two beds available. He still has some bread and sausages left and I provide us with beer. Many hours and good travel stories later, we go to bed.

The next day, we ride over the famous Geiranger.

Being one of the prime tourist spots, it's extremely crowded, and we ride with a top speed of 30km/h (19 mph) over the foggy pass. Meh.

We separate later, as he rides towars Oslo, I want to take the western route.

Too bad about this cool road (see old road on the right)

Cooking at the bus stop.

My last night in Norway is in a fancy ski resort hotel. Looks expensive, but the price was ok. Too bad I awake to this.

As I check out, I hear about the attacks in Oslo and Utya island. All the flags are on half-mast.

The rain is intense. If it weren't for the attacks, you would have probably heard about these floodings in southern Norway. I have to take some detours because of flooded roads.

I still have a lot of distance to cover, missing the ferry would be pretty bad. On the main road towards Oslo, all the traffic is stopped by the police.

Just in time, I arrive at the docks. The sun finally shows as the ferry leaves. I meet two danish riders who invite me to a beer in their clubhouse, and to pitch my tent. Joe (the swiss guy on the cruiser) joins in, he took the same ferry as I did. I love these evenings with good beer and interesting company.

Look how Joe still can't take his hands down from all the apehanger riding. ;-)

Denmark... Flat as a pancake. There is a lot of water, I like that.

Unknown to most, they have some wicked twisties, too! Look at the sign warning you!

Hmm ok, not that twisty, I admit.

The next evening, I arrive in the Netherlands, where I meet my aunt and her husband. We go for a ride with their oldschool BMW bikes. I remember, when I was a kid and always rode on the back of their bikes (or in the garage). Now I could finally ride their bikes!

Afsluitdijk, holding back the ocean from overflowing the Netherlands.

Some smaller roads through the countryside lead me to Germany...

...where I ride on the Autobahn to the famous Nrburgring Nordschleife.

The custom officials at the swiss border think I'm suspicious with all that luggague and want to know where I come from. They don't believe my story, but let me in anyways after a short check. I should clean my license plate as soon as I get home... Suuure, officer.

Arriving at home. Exhausted, happy, filled with new experiences and the will to do something like this again soon.

9501 km (5903 miles), 31 days, about 500 liters of fuel, 1 liter oil, 400 ml chain spray, 1 spark plug.

Thanks for your attention.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 49

Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
Miles Typed: 14056

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »

That part of Russia you went through looks pretty much like the UP of Michigan.

There was at least one that looked just like Maine  Lol

Great trip - can't wait to see more of the Scandinavian countries  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

Wow! Absolutely beautiful scenery!  Thanks for the share.   Clap

mastros2.wordpress.com
DosEquis00

Reputation 132

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2712

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »

The scenery was amazing and thank you for putting together this trip report...well done sir  Bigok
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13919

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »

Inspired!  Clap

Good stuff  Smile Thumbsup

Thanks for posting all the pictures  Bigok

Jim Chamberlin

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2008 C14; 1973 Triumph Tiger 750
GPS: St. Simons Island, GA
Miles Typed: 132

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »

One of the most interesting Ride Reports I've read.  Thanks for taking the time to post it.  
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »

Very good ride report.  Amazing scenery.  I'm terribly jealous.  
What were you using to take those videos?  Some interesting angles, great shots.

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"I get winning, try more next"...Yukio Kagiyama
"Just because you're in front doesn't mean you
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »

Oh, never mind.  I see at the end of the vid that you used the Hero and the Nikon  Lol
I have to get my Hero working properly.  Fun to watch.  
I have two problems on trips like that.  a) I never take the time to get good pics and video and b) I never get to take trips like that Lol

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"I get winning, try more next"...Yukio Kagiyama
"Just because you're in front doesn't mean you
jetapumper

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '06 Connie
GPS: I.G.H. MN
Miles Typed: 444

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »

Very well done good sir.  Clap  Two items from the report that are universal in any langauge. "Meh" and the can of Red Bull with the burger in Norway.

"Hard work never killed anybody. But why take the chance? -Edgar Bergen
94gixxerod

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 1994 GSXR 1100; 2009 Connie
GPS: Chambersburg, PA
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

Again, my son and I thank you for the terrific write up. Great adventure!

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.
gradus

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2005 VFR800A, 2010 Street Triple R
Miles Typed: 947

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

Thanks for the report!  Thumbsup
AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »

Really appreciate all your kind words. Living through my trip again as I write it up, I hope I could brighten up this dark time of year not just for me. Smile

I have two problems on trips like that.  a) I never take the time to get good pics and video and b) I never get to take trips like that Lol

It would have been a different thing, if I wasn't alone on this trip. I combined filming with short brakes and made the video some kind of travel companion, the script growing in my mind as the days advanced. Plus it forced me stop more often (-> safety) and enjoy amazing landscapes a few minutes longer when looking for the perfect camera placement.  Thumbsup
Can't help you with b) though. Riding my bike has become such an important part of my life, I can't do any different. It helps if you're single and childless of course.

Two items from the report that are universal in any langauge. "Meh" and the can of Red Bull with the burger in Norway.

Meh.  Shrug

Lol

Again, my son and I thank you for the terrific write up. Great adventure!

Great to hear that. Is he already riding by himself or on your back seat?

I hope it's influencing him like the german comic author Holger Aue puts it:

The text is reading something like:

Infantile Imprinting can change our entire life - The day I became a motorcycle fan

For those of you who enjoyed my trip video, be sure to check out my other videos as well. I started a thread where I show them and would like to point you there: click click
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:56:40 PM by AlpineGuerrilla » Logged
sammyseaman
AH3

Reputation 206

Motorcycles: 1 1/2
GPS: Grand River Valley
Miles Typed: 9855

My Photo Gallery

Владимир Константинов

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »

Great report!  Thumbsup
Sooo.... after watching the video one thing I'm wondering about. The nice young lady in the skirt that crossed the street in front of you.... what is her name?    Hubba hubba.
Sorry, I can't help myself  Shrug

"Warm them with your breath or in your hand then insert them to a comfortable depth." ~Mr. Black~
"Polar bears can't jump." ~black bear~
mtwillyman

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Breva 1100
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »

Smile What an awesome video! nice job man! How did the SV650 hold up? I see you have an ADV sticker, post this awesome RR on advrider brother! What a great trip that must have been. Brilliant!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:56:29 AM by mtwillyman » Logged
steve.ski
Cautious Optimist

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07
GPS: Southern California
Miles Typed: 2602

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 06:05:17 AM »

Awesome ride report. Single and no children helps a lot huh?

Thumbsup

Pending something meaningful to be said.

2000 Honda VFR800 FI 2000 Honda CR250R 1974 Suzuki TS 185 Six Packer 1987 Yamaha Warrior 350 Wifey's Quad 2004 Yamaha Raptor 50: Nate's Quad 2004 Suz
Jay S.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2010 FZ6R
Miles Typed: 152

My Photo Gallery

Life is a highway...

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

Amazing trip bro! Thanks so much for sharing it!!! I think just about everyone who owns a bike dreams of a month long trip somewhere along the road of life.

Inlove

spd2918

Reputation -400

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4223

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »

I'm going to Denmark next year to visit my extended family.  After reading your report I might rent a bike and stay an extra week or two.  Danke vielmals

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
AlpineGuerrilla

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

The funny thing about the lady in the video was, that the second car stopped and let her pass the road. "Normal" people don't even get that treatment on zebra crossings.  Lol

Smile What an awesome video! nice job man! How did the SV650 hold up? I see you have an ADV sticker, post this awesome RR on advrider brother! What a great trip that must have been. Brilliant!

The SV is still going strong, no problems at all. Now 62'000km (38500 miles) on the clock. I hope to get at least another 60'000km out of it.  Inlove Good eye on you, I'm working on the report for the ADV forums.
JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4701

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »

What a great adventure! Thanks for all the photos of a part of the world I have never thought of visiting. I was disappointed when you finally returned home and the story ended.  Smile

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
xjrsommsi

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »

Gruezi Alpinguerilla,

Respekt....absoluten Respekt, dass Du diese HAMMERTOUR alleine durchgezogen hast. Ein Traum, weckt in mir dieses "ich muss weg" Gefhl  Inlove.
Awesome pics, lovely words and emotions in your ride report, man!!
Danke frs posten und teilen...habe dich auf y/tbe abonniert.
Thanks for sharing, dude. OSSUM!!!!
Skee

Reputation 62

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1818

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Sweden greeted me with sunshine. At a gas station I met a german couple on BMWs. Their travel itienary was pretty cool: Every morning, they would throw dices and let them decide the general direction of today. They started out in Oslo and had a lot of north and east "throws" but still plenty of time to play their game. Will have to try that out one day.

This game sounds like great fun to play.  Will have to try it someday.  

Thanks for posting.  I look forward to reading about your next trip.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
Z50a

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: YES, Please !
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

absolutely fantastic !   Great report / Great pictures .... Sounds like it was an amazing adventure.

-- It's about the Ride!         Ride Safe          ATGATT
-- Der Weg ist das Ziel (German = "The Way is the Goal," or "It�
crazykz
Waffle Boy

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 ST1300A
GPS: Pewaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us armchair riders out here.

Awesome footage.  The high heels scene was a nice touch. Smile

Curt

motormike

Reputation 31

Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »

Great report, video and pics.  Thanks for sharing.  I have a SV650 and this gives me inspiration to get out more.  I have a tail bag, but need to shop for a tank bag.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal