Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Daytona (+ ergos) or Street Triple R?  (Read 11066 times)

1000lbs

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Street Triple r, 08 WR250r, 12 CBR250r
GPS: Cathedral City, CA
Miles Typed: 865

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:09:12 am »

Looking for opinions from the EOE here in triple land.

The Tiger has one foot out the door, and after some ocd research I've decided to stay with the marquee and sample a 675.  For this discussion we're talking buying used. I really like the STr, but they are pretty rare on the used market.  Daytonas are more plentiful clean with low miles and about $1k less on average.

The purposes of the bike: A) Regular scrapes in the mountains and canyons 100-300 mile days B) 4-8 track outings, schools and days C) 1 or 2 multi day trips 300-500 mile days (these will be very light packing no real luggage trips).

This bike will be replacing both my Tiger and ZX6r track bike.  I am not really happy living/working with three bikes in the garage (the WR stays).

I spent a few hours lurking around the 675 forum and looked at options for both.  

Case for the D675.  For less then the difference in used prices between them, I'm thinking higher clipons and STr rear sets will put ergos in a more "comfortable" position on the road and still work well on the track.  The fairings will be welcome on the track along with the slight bump in the top end power.  I always liked the looks of the Daytona and there is a local Black/Gold SE for sale at the moment.

Case for the STr.  Ergos will be better on the road (where it will spend most of its time).  I tend to lean toward the upright naked bike riding position.  It would be easier to ad/strap soft bags to the STr should the need arise.  No plastics to work around or replace if damaged.  I love the look of the STr (even the new lights).

I really don't see many other points where one offers more then the other.  Any input from owners of one or the other are welcome (or anyone else that wants to chime in).

The coolest thing on four wheels is still two motorcycles.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/VisitedStatesMap.jpg
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:51:18 am »

That would be a difficult decision for me.  I've owned a D675 and did track days with it (what a joy).  But, normal riding on the STr would be much more enjoyable.  The problem I have on doing track days with a "street fighter" is the width of the bars.  I wanted to keep my KTM Super Duke for track days.  But, I cannot comfortably hang off the bike and have my outside arm so stretched, especially in left corners because I would still need to be very accurate on the throttle and brake.  On the track, I much prefer clipons due to how compact they are.  I always felt like I has more control with clipons.  

I'm short (5'8") and what may be too long of a reach for me, may not be for you.  If you're able to conformably hang off on the track with the wider bars, I would get the STr.  That's the bike IMO which best suites how you're going to ride.  
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

Hey I went from a Tiger 1050 to a 675 too.   Wink

I'd really like to sample the top-end of the Daytona to see what I'm missing with my STR.  There is a mod to swap out to Daytona cams on the ST/R's for 10 extra HP.  As standard the Daytona is about 1/2 second faster in the quarter mile and about 15mph faster top speed.  For track days, the Daytona is the clear winner. 

For canyon riding I think either bike is a winner. 

For those multi-day trips and general riding/ownership, the STR (for me at least) is the clear winner with the higher handlebars, easier maintenance access, comfier seat, lower insurance rates, easier frame-slider installation, center-stand option, rear-rack option, higher carrying capacity, and naked good looks.  If the STR handlebar is a drawback, there are many examples of ST/STR's with clip-ons.

You will very likely love the performance and handling of either one of the wee-Triples.  But will the STR be enough of a departure from your previous Speed Triple?  

Reviews of interest, though the one is the 675R, not the standard Daytona...
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2011JulyTri675R.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugStrtTrplR.pdf

For forum research, you probably already know these: triumphrat.net, triumph675.net, and street-triple.co.uk.
Advertisement

MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1452

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:21 am »

When I was looking to replace the Sprint, I went through the exact same thing: D675 or STriple.  After riding both I still couldn't decide, but leaned more towards the ST(R) - it really is a metric ass-ton of fun to ride!

After reading points A and B, I say go with the D675 - I assume you're in decent enough shape to handle a more aggressive riding position.  If you were doing no more than 3 track related outings per year and also commuted regularly, then I'd say ST(R).

My 675 indecision led me to buy the 750.  Oddly enough, I'm much more comfy on the 750 than I ever was on the Sprint, but that's cuz I'm vertically & inseam challenged.   Bigsmile

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
ANZAC

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S and 2009 Triumph Street Triple
GPS: Vancouver, Washington
Miles Typed: 657

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »

Get the Streety  Thumbsup

He Has Risen!!
1000lbs

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »

Great points all, please continue.  

The real difference here is the riding position obviously.  I've taken the Zed on a few 100+ mile mountain rides, you know for shake down runs Embarassment.  At 5'8" I fit on the bike well enough, the only thing that really gets to me is the torso/neck angle the clipons put me in.  If they were slightly higher, flatter, and back, my head would be at a much more comfortable angle in relation to my torso.  The leg position is fine, I just stand up or stretch out every so often.

On the occasional trips, I usually give myself enough time each day to stay off the slab and on the twistiest route available.  So I'm typically moving around on the bike more then I'm sitting in one position.

I'm thinking as points are made and I get a better idea of where the compromises are the D675 is looking like a real candidate.  If I don't find what I like used, I'm thinking the STr will win out if buying new.  What is available will likely play a big role in which way I go.

I don't think there is a bad choice here, just a matter of where to compromise.

Thanks

Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »

I love my D675, but it's not for street rides over 100 miles (not mph).  The ergos are extremely aggressive.  I did raise my back end just a bit when I put penske shock on the rear, but even before, it wasn't for regular, everyday street riding.  Do I love the bike?  Yes.  But it's designed to be a race replica, more of a track bike than a street bike.  The Striple is likely the way to go for your stated needs.

Great bikes, can't lose either way.

Edited for error.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:32:00 pm by Dan K » Logged

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:57:34 pm »

OK...

So how about wind protection and luggage options on these two bikes, for touring?

Say, compared to an SV650 that has GXSR bits grafted on and then dirt bike bars.

(No, not for me, but...)
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

OK...

So how about wind protection and luggage options on these two bikes, for touring?

Say, compared to an SV650 that has GXSR bits grafted on and then dirt bike bars.

(No, not for me, but...)

The SV has more hard luggage options than the ST/R or Daytona because you can buy siderack carriers.  The SV has more wind-protection options because of its round headlight.

That said, my STR does a good job touring anyway.  
expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »

How about between the two? (D675/STR). I'd assume the full fairing on the D675 provides much better wind protection, but not once you relax the ergos and sit yourself up a bit...
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

How about between the two? (D675/STR). I'd assume the full fairing on the D675 provides much better wind protection, but not once you relax the ergos and sit yourself up a bit...

Sure, at speed and in a straight line, the wind helps support you, but for that kind of riding, get an FJR.

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:24:11 pm »

No i don't think it's all that much more wind protection on the D675 unless you are in full tuck.  The height of my STR flyscreen/visor combo is about the same as the height of the D675 screen.  IMO the wind protection on super sports bikes today is generally not that great without tucking, and who wants to do that all day while traveling.  The STR ergos allow a nice easy forward lean into the wind, and the handlebar is low enough for short tucks.  In the warmer months I do away with my screen completely and love that the best, but when it's cold I like a bit of a wind break.  

Something like a Sprint has a larger and more effective fairing than either bike, of course.
1000lbs

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »

Ok, I'm set to deliver the Tiger on Sun. I'll be stopping on the way home to check out a STr.  The bike is already halfway to where I wanted to farkle it, with one exception.  It's met the pavement twice  .  The seller claims the bike runs and rides fine and decribed each incidnet in detail.

The bike had frame sliders installed for a low speed flop in the dirt after over shooting a corner and  mid speed low side in the bowl at CVR.  I'll be sure to look behind those for damage.  I'd rather find a nice clean one, but it will be seeing track time anyway so its not a deal breaker.  The price is about right, and I've already priced out what I can see I'd want to replace from the close ups the seller sent me.

Any week spots I should pay special attention to specific to the STr?  

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:16:16 pm »

Any week spots I should pay special attention to specific to the STr?  

The R/R has failed on quite a few bikes especially earlier models, but not on my 2010 model.  I'd check that bike for the damages done from laying it over - engine cases, rear pillion supports, bar-ends, bend bars, etc.  

Good luck, 1/2 ton!
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1227

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 08:08:47 pm »

Is it possible to put slightly narrower bars on a Street Triple? I don't like super narrow, but I don't like really wide either.

The ergos on the ST/STr make it so nice, and slightly narrower bars would probably give the feeling of more control in the twisties.

1000lbs

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »

The Tiger got delivered to its new owner  Thumbsup, but there is no STr in the garage  Thumbsdown.

I went and checked it out, and it just wasn't the right STr for me.  It was hard to walk away, we agreed on a very fair price and I'm sold on the 675 after a short test ride.  There was just more cosmetic damage then I wanted to deal with.  If my track bike sells, I may just bite the bullet and buy new.  At least I turned the corner from seller to buyer now.

MadOzodi

Reputation 6

GPS: StL, MO
Miles Typed: 1452

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:05 pm »

Ahhh, one step closer.  Good luck on on the rest of the journey!   Thumbsup

00 Obsidian Black Triumph Legend TT - gone, but not forgotten; 09 Pacific Blue Triumph Sprint ST - sold
11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (totaled) - giddyup!; 11 Black Suzuki GSX-R750 (Take Two) - less giddyu
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:44:40 pm »

The Tiger got delivered to its new owner  Thumbsup, but there is no STr in the garage  Thumbsdown.

I went and checked it out, and it just wasn't the right STr for me.  It was hard to walk away, we agreed on a very fair price and I'm sold on the 675 after a short test ride.  There was just more cosmetic damage then I wanted to deal with.  If my track bike sells, I may just bite the bullet and buy new.  At least I turned the corner from seller to buyer now.

Was that your first 675 test ride?  Glad to hear you liked it.  I was just checking out the new ones at the bike show yesterday. 

That red STR is so hot.  Drooooool.   Drool :leghump:

The standard model purple paint is also very hot.   Inlove

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:47:00 pm by Rincewind » Logged
expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »

No i don't think it's all that much more wind protection on the D675 unless you are in full tuck.  The height of my STR flyscreen/visor combo is about the same as the height of the D675 screen.  IMO the wind protection on super sports bikes today is generally not that great without tucking, and who wants to do that all day while traveling.  The STR ergos allow a nice easy forward lean into the wind, and the handlebar is low enough for short tucks.  In the warmer months I do away with my screen completely and love that the best, but when it's cold I like a bit of a wind break.  

Something like a Sprint has a larger and more effective fairing than either bike, of course.

Mmm. Interesting. I don't fit behind (almost) any windscreen, so I really hadn't thought about it (not even the Sprint). My SO finds windblast on her SV tiring, however, especially when there's no choice but a freeway drone to link up a couple of good segments in a reasonable time, so looking for something a little more pleasant.
Dan K

Reputation 110

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »

sprint with touring screen is excellent in the wind protection department.

1000lbs

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:17 pm »

Was that your first 675 test ride?  Glad to hear you liked it.  I was just checking out the new ones at the bike show yesterday. 

That red STR is so hot.  Drooooool.   Drool :leghump:

The standard model purple paint is also very hot.   Inlove

Yep, that was my first spin on a 675.  Those things must have test anxiety, cause that didn't feel anything like the dyno chart implies.  The arrow low mount sounded fantastic to.  It fit well, much smaller in a good way then the Speedy.  I'm going to check out that D675 this week for comparison.

I'm still not sure I should have walked away, the price left a lot of room for replacement/repairs.  I just didn't feel like getting into painting the bike and there were some other concerns.  The battery box had a broken tab (possible subframe damage), scuffs on the swingarm behind the muffler (some impact there), and the front brake felt squishy.  Its the same basic brake system as my ZX6r and I went through replacing the damaged master on that already.  It was just more work then I wanted to get into after just finishing the track bike which started in a similar state.  Everytime I went in to fix an issue, I'd find two more kind of thing.

1000lbs

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »

The resulting decision can be found here https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,69674.0.html

expatbrit

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49:30 am »

Very purdy. Congrats!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal