Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: WHY!!! must the Multistrada be so unreliable!  (Read 14356 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

Having said that, I've never had any failures on my Hondas, Suzukis, or Kawasaki.  Not once.  

My St4s has been bullet proof. As were my Harley Dyna, Honda Valkyrie.
My Duc 800SS was not...

I've had major issues with my previous Wing 1800, 1200, Kawi ZX10 (1990?), ZX11, KLR 650, Suzi TL1000, VFR 750.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

volleykinginnc

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 1994 Magna (sold) 2002 Ducati ST4S (not for sale)
Miles Typed: 436

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:21 pm »

I've heard several of my friends mention that their Ducs are "bullet proof".  Weird thing is when you start prying them they mention all kinds of things that may not be major enough to keep them off the bike but are certainly not perfect.  I have a ST4S and has the following things wrong (again not enough to park it but still)
Clutch squeels
Brakes squeels
throttle lock doesn't work
hesitates when starting
in the rain sometimes it will blow a relay
will cut out for 3-5 seconds for no particular reason
tachometer jumps erratically sometimes
shock adjuster doesn't seem to do anything when turned
fuel gauge/light is off--light blinks when there's still 2 gallons left
shakes and quivers at anything below 5K rpm
With all of that said there's still nothing like getting on it.....it bucks and bellows and feels like it wants to throw you off and go find chicks.

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Whether successes or failures if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
SalsaShark

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '12 Aprilia Tuono v4r
GPS: SC (for now)
Miles Typed: 356

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 03:52:05 pm »

With all of that said there's still nothing like getting on it.....it bucks and bellows and feels like it wants to throw you off and go find chicks.

then why are you trying to sell it?!  

couch
Advertisement

volleykinginnc

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 03:52:52 pm »

sell it?  I can't give it away.

falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 04:38:19 pm »

Clutch squeels = Ducati Dry Clutch, this is Ducati character, I miss it on my new Multistrada  Wink

Brakes squeels = clean rotors with sanding paper, clean and lube pins that pads float on, it should go away.

throttle lock doesn't work = The ST4 doesn't come with a throttle lock, this is some after market product, don't blame Ducati

hesitates when starting = Yes, they all do that, but they do start. There is a kit to install beefier cables that is supposed to help, shouldn' have to modify though.

in the rain sometimes it will blow a relay= Dielectric Grease, which realy is blowing? once you know relay system apply dielectric grease to all connections.

will cut out for 3-5 seconds for no particular reason = Italian Character again. Wink

tachometer jumps erratically sometimes It's a Ducati, there isn't even a redline on the tack, who looks at the tack? Look where you're going.

shock adjuster doesn't seem to do anything when turned ST4 has Olins suspension correct? How many miles have you put on since 2002? Have you ever had the shock or forks serviced?

fuel gauge/light is off--light blinks when there's still 2 gallons left = Better optimistic then pesimistic, again it's Italian character

shakes and quivers at anything below 5K rpm = Yes this is true, the Ducati 90 degree L motor runs best above 5K, this is a performance machine, give it the berries!

With all of that said there's still nothing like getting on it.....it bucks and bellows and feels like it wants to throw you off and go find chicks. Hell Yea!

Seriously, Ducati has made major steps in the right direction concerning Quality, the newer the Ducati, the better it is. I remember when all Ducati's had spring loaded side stands.

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
County Tar

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Vstrom 650 DR650 FZ6R(sold)
GPS: In the Cab of an ATSF 4-8-4 Northern
Miles Typed: 618

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:03 pm »

I've had major issues with my previous Wing 1800, 1200, Kawi ZX10 (1990?), ZX11, KLR 650, Suzi TL1000, VFR 750.

To what do you attribute this run of bad luck?   Headscratch

For if time was a thing man could buy, all the money that I have in store,
I would give for one day by her side, in the Valley of Strathmore
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

I think you are tawkin' about my bike...

I'm asking myself that question now too.  Nothing made in the ST world compares to it IMO, and they really don't make bikes like this anymore.  Closest would be Triumph's GT.

But, I may need to make room in the garage..  Or not.
Posted on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:50 PM

To what do you attribute this run of bad luck?   Headscratch

Lack of quality from the mfgs?

Hondas - afflicted by poor electrics (VFR, Wing 1200), poor frames and overheating (Wing 1800)
Suzi TL - frames, electrics, clutch, cooling system, fuel tank...
Kawis - electrics, soft cams, fuel tank (in the KLR)
Duc 800SS - electrics, fuel tank.

Only the St4s, Harley Dyna and Honda Valk were bulletproof.  No issues at all on those bikes.

p.s. my st4s is a 2003, the 2002 had ECU problems resulting in hard starting, stalling etc.  Fixed by getting the DP ECU

volleykinginnc

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »

Seriously, Ducati has made major steps in the right direction concerning Quality, the newer the Ducati, the better it is. I remember when all Ducati's had spring loaded side stands.

That's some good stuff there....the most troubling is the 3-5 second stall out....really strange....if I'm going 45 or more it will come back on after only dropping maybe 10 mph....anything less than that I'm on the side of the road and restarting.  

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »

That's some good stuff there....the most troubling is the 3-5 second stall out....really strange....if I'm going 45 or more it will come back on after only dropping maybe 10 mph....anything less than that I'm on the side of the road and restarting.  

Ask here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/

It is the best site for Ducati St owners.  I think it's your ECU, they had a bad batch in 2002, but you will get more information on the site.

Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3304

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

Maybe I'm cursing myself, but .....(touch wood EEK!) I've had no problems at all with my 900ss....maybe because it's an FE.....I don't know, but it runs like a (swiss) clock....now the chiropractor bills are another story ....but I still love to ride it....

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »

The solution is so obvious.  It's like the secret to happy ownership of an old Jaguar.  Buy two Italian motorbikes.

Thus, when one of them is in the shop, you have the other to ride.

Right now, for instance, my Mille has been in the shop for two weeks awaiting a simple gasket.  It was apparently shipped to the US from Italy as cargo...on that cruise ship that sank off Giglio.   Rolleyes

But that gave me an excuse to ride the Guzzi today.   Shrug   Inlove

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that Orson has backed up the Le Mans with a Thruxton and a nice old Mille?  Shoot, at least one of those bikes has to be running at any one time.    :pokestick:

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »

The solution is so obvious.  It's like the secret to happy ownership of an old Jaguar.  Buy two Italian motorbikes.

Thus, when one of them is in the shop, you have the other to ride.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that Orson has backed up the Le Mans with a Thruxton and a nice old Mille?  Shoot, at least one of those bikes has to be running at any one time.    :pokestick:

I don't know if that Thairumph counts...

Plus doesn't he keep them in different garages across this planet?

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:21 am »

I have to give kudos to Triumph, the Thruxton has run flawlessly in almost 8 years of ownership.

Of course, I only get to ride it about 1000 miles per year, but still  Thumbsup

Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3304

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:49 pm »

That's infinitely better then no miles per year Thumbsup

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

I've heard several of my friends mention that their Ducs are "bullet proof".  Weird thing is when you start prying them they mention all kinds of things that may not be major enough to keep them off the bike but are certainly not perfect.  I have a ST4S and has the following things wrong (again not enough to park it but still)
Clutch squeels
Brakes squeels
throttle lock doesn't work
hesitates when starting
in the rain sometimes it will blow a relay
will cut out for 3-5 seconds for no particular reason
tachometer jumps erratically sometimes
shock adjuster doesn't seem to do anything when turned
fuel gauge/light is off--light blinks when there's still 2 gallons left
shakes and quivers at anything below 5K rpm

I just took a ride on mine this morning and it made me decide to keep it.  It is fantastic.  Compared to yours:

1/ My clutch does not squeal.  25K on original clutch.  I've heard others do this - cured by cleaning out the clutch pack.  And not slipping it .  To prevent this I lowered my gearing/sprockets from 15/38 (stock) to 14/40.  Makes it much more rideable and easier on the clutch.
2/  Brakes do not squeal - maybe you need to clean yours?
3/Hesitates when starting - make sure you have a clean and solid ground from your ECU
4/Don't have any rain/relay issues.  Maybe use dieletric grease on all the contacts?
5/Tach jumps erratically - suggests a possible sensor/ECU issue.  Which ties into:
6/Will cut out for 3-5 seconds.  2002 St4 bikes had a bad batch of ECUs.  
7/Yeah, all the gas gauges are pessimstic!  Can't help you on that one.  Mine also comes on w/ 2 gallons left out of 5.8
8/Shakes and quivers below 5K - mine does not do this.  It is liquid smooth above 3.5K rpms.  Sounds like the throttle bodies need adjusting, or just a decent tune up.  I can cruise slowly around town, or haul a$$ in the twisties.  It does of course prefer the latter!

Good luck!

volleykinginnc

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 10:23:38 am »

awesome bro....post up some pics and enjoy....start saving now for the valve/belt service.

Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »

Ok so the question is, should I let reliability prevent me from buying a '12 multi?  Or will I even have reliability problems? I can work on it myself but I can't have it stranding me.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »

Warranty with 24-hour Towing.  

And a spare motorcycle.  

Or if this thing called reliability is going to keep you up at night, just get another Honda.   Razz

Rogue
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »

Both the Ducatis I owned I loved, BUT...... with little niggles . Lol I was always fixing or thinking of fixing something on them. My triumph, I get on it ,ride the piss out of it, for 60K now, VERY, VERY few niggles. I'll stay limey in my Euro choices thankyou. Wink

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »

Both the Ducatis I owned I loved, BUT...... with little niggles . Lol I was always fixing or thinking of fixing something on them. My triumph, I get on it ,ride the piss out of it, for 60K now, VERY, VERY few niggles. I'll stay limey in my Euro choices thankyou. Wink

Mmm. I was the reverse, so far. Couple of minor niggles in 20K on the Sprint ST. (This feels like underacheiving) LOVE my 'strada -- but it's under a year old. Biggest niggle is the rear brake isn't great there, but it's MINOR.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal