Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Considering a Guzzi.....which one?  (Read 2443 times)

TravisL

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 VFR800
GPS: Iowa
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »

I've considered about everything under the sun, from FJR1300 to DL650.....and an aweful lot in between, naked standards, etc.

What I need out of a bike is to be relatively, or very upright due to a crappy upper back I can't do excessive forward lean, more so when riding 2up.  I had an 02' K1200RS that was good solo, not terrible 2up and may have worked out if I'd have invested in a back rest or a top case.

I need it to be pretty reliable, so I'm considering 98' and newer(I've heard this called "the big upgrade", plus I don't really want anything much older than that from any brand, I'd consider them sure, but it's a seemingly fair cut off year to me.

I love the look of so many guzzi's it's hard to pick between what has the look, and what has the function to be a reasonably comfortable 2up bike.  Near as I can tell, without getting into the newer 8v engines your going to be looking at similiar power levels across the board(I dont want an 850, I'll get an 1100 of some variant).  Considering anything from a Titanium, to a Norge and looking for suggestions as I don't know this brand that well, I just catch myself drooling over them.

Also, where is a good place to find these for sale, not a ton on CL or typical trader sites, I know they are some what rare anyhow.

Thanks!

1999 VFR800Fi........miles of smiles Smile
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 381

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »

So what's your budget? What sort of rding do you do and where and when.

Pete
TravisL

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:13:58 AM »

Budget is definately a little tight to say the least.  I'd like to stay at or under $5k.

I'd be doing alot of two lane highways, to and from work, 2up weekend rides.  Not likely to do any real touring, but I don't want a bike that I couldn't do that on if the chance came about.  I like the curves, but I'm in Iowa, so it's not as if I have the dragon in my back yard....

flip

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva
GPS: Cherryville, NC
Miles Typed: 151

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »

Travis, I bought a leftover 07 Breva 1100 last year and I love it. I've added hard luggage and a windshield so it can handle about any task I ask of it.

The weather was just too nice yesterday so I left the mini van at home and took my Guzzi shopping. Cycle Gear didn't have what I went after but I did leave Office Depot with a laser printer bungeed to the passenger seat/ luggage rack.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 76

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13830

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:26 AM »

nuthin to do with Guzzis, but this site helps compare the ergos on various bikes:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Pete Roper

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »

I was thinking Breva 11 if you want an upright riding position. Several hard luggage options and lots of screens available. If you look at an early, (2006) model make sure it has had the final drive recall addressed. It should of by now but it is still worth making sure.

Pete
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi Weirdo

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: Guzzi's!
GPS: Salem, Massachusetts
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »

Maybe the tarted up 1200 Sport. Nice looking, good ergos, luggage available etc, etc.

2011 Moto Guzzi Griso SE
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Ballabio 1982 Moto Guzzi V50III "mini cafe" 1979 Moto Guzzi V1000 "uber cafe" 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador 1966 Guzzi Stornello Sport America
Rincewind

Reputation 121

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13663

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2003-Moto-Guzzi-California-Stone-100521291
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: futura
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

http://www.motointernational.com/HDB_7_05.htm

NOS 06 black Breva 1100 for $5995.

MI has some great deals and their prices reflect about as good as you'll find on used bikes elsewhere. Not affiliated, blah, blah, blah

[urlhttp://www.motointernational.com/HDB_7_05.htm][/url]

Retired and loving it.
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »

A couple of years ago my mate Jon in LA sold his B11 with bags, screen, tank cover and bagster bag for $5,000. Hight of the GFC plunge but it was younger then and low miles and was a really nice example of the breed.

Good Brevas are out there and make great midleweight tourers.

Pete
radlefty

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 BMW K1300s
GPS: Mpls
Miles Typed: 190

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 07:05:08 AM »

Breva & Norge have almost identical slightly forward ergo's, with the feet just slightly behind the knees. the Cali has no forward lean, with the feet slightly forward. If you want to look at a Norge or go for a test ride, let me know. I'm in Mpls
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj98/TaoAthletes/P8210397.jpg

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge - price lowered to $5,000 **MN**
on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:15 PM
Quote  Modify  Remove
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge. Purchased new in March of 2008, 30,000 miles.  Hyperpro rear shock, Cal Sci Windshield, throttlemeister,Teo Lamers dipstick, adjustable pegs, bar risers.  Major service was performed in March including: Valves checked & adjusted, throttle bodies balanced, all fluids changed, inner & outer spark plugs changed, brake pads and front rotors replaced.  I had the dreaded red "SERVICE" light come on this spring when I started it. Brought it to the local dealer and when they reset it they lost all the mileage    It had just under 29,000 when I brought it in. They then proceeded to have a difficult time figuring out how to get the service light to stay off. They changed the 02 sensor,oil temp sensor & finally the oil sending unit and still couldn't fix it. I then took it to Rose Farm Classics in Woodstock Illinois. The owner Jim Barron immediately identified the problem as bad connections to the sensors. I have put on around 2,000 miles since Jim fixed the problem and the light has never come on since. I have ridden this bike across country several times in the last 3 years and it has never failed me, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across country right now. If you are looking for a pristine "never seen rain bike" this isn't it. But if your looking for a great deal on a well maintained terrific all around sport-tourning bike then this might be it.   $5,000 Clear title. Bike is in Mpls.
Email: TaoAthletes@aol.com    Reason for selling? Bought a Sprint St last summer and as much as I have love the Norge, the Sprint fits me even better.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:35:09 AM by radlefty » Logged

It's alway's about the journey.... Wherever you go, there you are
TravisL

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »

I sent you a pm Radlefty, thanks!

Thunderbox

Reputation -60

Motorcycles: 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge
GPS: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Miles Typed: 1098

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

Being a fellow who has had some dealings with Radlefty, I can say he is a man of his word.  I would trust whatever he told me with no reservations.  He helped me out big time getting my broken Norge out of the garage and back on the road.  Sorry to hear he has gone to the dark side though lol.

Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The re
e56789

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
GPS: Langley, BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »

Sounds like you are going through exactly the same process that I did.

I was moving from a Harley Superglide ( pretty much a standard ) to something more sport-toury.  I considered everything from Honda ST1300's to Hyabusa's with bags to Triumph Tiger 1050's to DL1000's.  One day I was at a dealer and saw a Griso SE ( the green one ) and thought that if I was looking for a second bike this would be it.  A few weeks later I came across a low mileage 2007 Red Norge and it followed me home.

The weather here hasn't been bike friendly lately but I put my plates on last week anyway.  In the mean time I am making some easy changes to bring out the sporty side.  Removed fairing lowers and chin piece. Replaced Heli Bars that the previous owner had installed with the stock risers.  Installed Pazzo shorty levers that are colour matched to the bike.  Ordered Cal-sci tinted shorty to replace the taller touring windshield.  Already the bike looks much more sporty, especially with the bags and tour trunk removed.  

IMHO it is was easier to make the Norge sportier that to add touring pieces to something like the Griso.  No extra money put out and it can be turned back any time.  

I believe in using words, not fists. I believe in my outrage knowing people are living in boxes on the street. I believe in honesty. I believe in a good time. I believe in good food. I believe in sex.
Bertrand Russell
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »

Norge is a great tourer but the suspension is soft. The biggest plusses of the griso are that it has the best frame, suspension and brakes. Nothing else in the range comes close.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal