Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Spot II GPS tracker on sale at Best Buy $79  (Read 8659 times)

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:00 pm »

Just ordered one up myself, so thought I share in case anyone else was looking to buy one. Only in silver/black at that price. I'll just paint mine orange  Lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SPOT+-+SPOT+2+Satellite+GPS+Messenger+-+Silver/9511012.p?id=1218116795825&skuId=9511012

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

Down to $49 now if anyone is interested - wish I waited a month now  Lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SPOT+-+SPOT+2+Satellite+GPS+Messenger+-+Silver/9511012.p?id=1218116795825&skuId=9511012&st=spot&cp=1&lp=5

www.ledrider.com
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »

I was getting intrigued (I have a pay-as-you-go phone with lousy coverage, so it can be difficult to let folks know I'm okay while traveling) until I realized it was another $100 for the service.

Good price on the unit, though!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Advertisement

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »

I was getting intrigued (I have a pay-as-you-go phone with lousy coverage, so it can be difficult to let folks know I'm okay while traveling) until I realized it was another $100 for the service.

Good price on the unit, though!

Yeah, the service is expensive Sad - and it's another $50 if you want the automatic tracking - so you don't have to check in manually all the time.

www.ledrider.com
CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

Wow, I've got a $20 BB gift card right now. That makes it very tempting.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:07:38 am »

this thing is a great deal like a msart phone to me -- I'm  REALLY tempted, and can easily understand the usefullness of the device, but the plan costs just lead to me find ways to not buy one ;-}

this behavior has only worsened since the KLR followed me home.

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
JNUNZMAN

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawi ZRX 1200R in blue...... Ex 09 V-STROM 650, Ex 06 Duc Multistrada 620, Ex '04 BMW 1150 Roadster
GPS: Bucks county , PA
Miles Typed: 324

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

You could just give family members your password to the "find my iPhone" and let them track you that way if you have one...

Why don't HD riders wave back? Is it my deodorant?
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:29 pm »

You could just give family members your password to the "find my iPhone" and let them track you that way if you have one...

Same thing with Android and google latitude. Problem is that only works when you have cell coverage. The Spot uses satellite tracking, so it works just about everywhere.

www.ledrider.com
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 05:28:58 pm »

Just picked up my Spot2. There was an additional $25 off. So, it wasabout $35 before tax.  Smile

There's a really bad, BAD (and old) review of the Spot2 on Best Buy's online shopping page. No doubt that's why they're practically giving them away. They still seem to have them on hand.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:26:56 am »

If the idea behind having a SPOT is to show folks where you are and maybe report your location and status along the way, fine.  As an emergency device, forget it.  

We know folks who sail with SPOT devices.  Keep the thing dry (a Zip-Lock bag will do) and where it can talk to the satellites (buried in a draw is not a good idea), and it should be OK.  But we've seen enough outages to convince us that as an emergency reporting device, SPOT simply isn't that reliable.  For that reason, we do not have a SPOT on our boat.  

Instead, look into an EPIRB - they're not cheap to buy, need to be fed batteries on occasion (not cheap), and you need to maintain the registration annually (no fee to date).  There is no "monitoring fee".  They will not report your location is you move about, they will not report where you're parked for the night, but when push comes to shove, they work.  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Bravo12
Yellow Corn Record Breaker

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2009 Versys, 1999 VFR, 2001 Bandit1216
GPS: KoP, PA
Miles Typed: 1333

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:02:39 pm »

I've been riding with a first-gen SPOT for about 2 years now. I've been on the fence about whether or not to bother upgrading to the SPOT II. I had added the SPOT roadside assistance back in 2010, but could only access it by phone, since the first-gen doesn't have a button for it. My buddy Todd tried the SPOT Connect and doesn't seem to like it at all. So, with this sale, and a $5 certificate for Best Buy, I pulled the trigger. Now I need to order the RAM-Mount cradle for it.

I just bought a VERSYS!!!
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:05:16 pm »

Now I need to order the RAM-Mount cradle for it.

I prefer to have the device attached to me, in case I get separated from the bike in an accident. For example, if I rode off an embankment, and I rolled down the hill, and the bike was 50 yards away; would be nice not having to crawl over with broken bones to push the SOS button.

www.ledrider.com
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »

I prefer to have the device attached to me, in case I get separated from the bike in an accident. For example, if I rode off an embankment, and I rolled down the hill, and the bike was 50 yards away; would be nice not having to crawl over with broken bones to push the SOS button.

If you've got the tracking (breadcrumb trail) feature, whoever is home watching your progress will note that you haven't moved in an extended period and could call help. Help wouldn't get to you as fast, but it wouldn't be completely useless.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
Bravo12

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:47 pm »

My first-gen really had signal issues if it was in a pocket, which is why I ended up using a RAM-Mount for it.

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 07:36:37 pm »

My first-gen really had signal issues if it was in a pocket, which is why I ended up using a RAM-Mount for it.

I think you'll find the Spot2 does better at this than the original.  But, you still need to make sure that the face points up and is parallel to the ground.  I keep mine inside my duffle bag.  Spot2 handles gaps in the transmission much better.  It remembers the lat/lon, and then when it has access to the sky for a transmission, will broadcast those positions.  I use it to track my location for later (I really don't care if anybody is tracking me or not).

I don't know that it missed a beat on this entire trip.  If you measure the spaces between pings you could probably figure out my speed on the autostrada in Italy and Hungary.  The original Spot wouldn't be this complete.

CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

But, you still need to make sure that the face points up and is parallel to the ground.  

Is it really that critical? I gave mine a test run with it clipped to my jacket, definitely not face up, and it worked fine.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »

Is it really that critical? I gave mine a test run with it clipped to my jacket, definitely not face up, and it worked fine.

Well, since it comes with a sleeve band that does not face up, I'd assume it's not that critical  Shrug

www.ledrider.com
Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »

Well, since it comes with a sleeve band that does not face up, I'd assume it's not that critical  Shrug

Taken from the company FAQ:

The SPOT patch antenna lies directly under the SPOT logo. For best results, position the unit so SPOT is facing up towards the sky in a horizontal position with a full view of the sky. For tracking, try securing your SPOT on top of the shoulder strap or outside top pocket of you backpack.

It does make a difference.
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 08:10:52 pm »

Taken from the company FAQ:

The SPOT patch antenna lies directly under the SPOT logo. For best results, position the unit so SPOT is facing up towards the sky in a horizontal position with a full view of the sky. For tracking, try securing your SPOT on top of the shoulder strap or outside top pocket of you backpack.

It does make a difference.

Maybe that's not a arm strap it ships with then, and it actually goes around your chin so the unit sits facing up on the top of your head  Lol

But yeah, I have read that on the site. But mine seems to work fine on the arm strap, and other folks I know that carry them that way have no issues with it. So, I don't think it makes a "huge" difference; but not arguing antenna location. So one may not be getting the "best results", but it seems to work fine worn on the arm. Probably because when sitting on a bike, your arm points a bit up.

www.ledrider.com
Bravo12

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:13 pm »

After getting my Spot2 in the mail last week and seeing it came with an armband, I think I'll hold off on getting a Ram Mount cradle for now. I plan on trying it strapped around my forearm if I can get it tight enough; that should keep it facing the sky while riding the Versys.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal