Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Visited a H-D Dealership  (Read 17149 times)

Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 366

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »

That bike has wicked shaft drive driveline lash.

Harley's belt drives are smooooooth.

Oh good, so they did screw it up.  Lol
Never been a big fan of shaft drives. I loved the feel of the belt on my Buell but I had a REALLY hard time letting myself trust it for trips. It just takes so little to damage, and ultimately snap, a belt.  Sad They sure are smooth at putting down the power though.  Thumbsup

insert witty saying here.
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »

I loved the feel of the belt on my Buell but I had a REALLY hard time letting myself trust it for trips. It just takes so little to damage, and ultimately snap, a belt.  Sad They sure are smooth at putting down the power though.  Thumbsup

I kept the original belt on my 2003 Firebolt for twice the recommended time period, finishing with a 3-week tour down to California last summer.  I figured it'd lasted until then, and still looked good...had a new belt hanging on the wall in the garage, but I was more concerned about problems with the new belt than the original.  Not a hiccup; when I did replace the belt after the trip, I found a single small hole in it--after 6 seasons and 50K km, living on a gravel road...that old belt is now my "emergency replacement" on the garage wall.

I'm sold on belt final drive!  (not so much on chain primary, though...that should be gears...).

E=MC2
bomber

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17278

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

My experience with Buell belts was less wonderful than you guy's . . . . I got very tired of hear Samual Jackson's voice in my head, saying, "muthah fugging bigg ass snakes flying through the sky!"

I convered the MaDeuce to chain . . . . .

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »

My experience with Buell belts was less wonderful than you guy's . . . . I got very tired of hear Samual Jackson's voice in my head, saying, "muthah fugging bigg ass snakes flying through the sky!"

I convered the MaDeuce to chain . . . . .

Had I kept my Buell a chain conversion was #1 on my mod list. I like the rugged simplicity of a chain as well as the easy final gearing changes. I don't see chain oiling as the horrible job to be suffered through that some guys do, especially with the simplicity and relatively clean chain wax they have out there.

Robus

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, HD Road Glide Ultra
GPS: Chicagoland-South Burbs
Miles Typed: 141

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »

I'll be adding a Road Glide to the garage in a week or so.  Smile
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:16 AM »

I'll be adding a Road Glide to the garage in a week or so.  Smile

Well I think you should relinquish the RT to me then, since you'll need room in the garage for that big fat pig of a thing.  Lol

halloween over.
TwoWhldTerror

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Miles Typed: 80

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »

I have and it was the most uncomfortable and retarded feeling SOB I've ever had my ass on in my life.

Pretty much what my friend and his wife said...and she owned one for 1.5 years! She said "if you had let me get the Fat Boy first I would have had another 1.5 years of comfortable, fun riding".  Lol
Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »

+1

I had a tricked out 883 that I maintain was one of my more fun and entertaining bikes to date. It was challenging, it would hold a line, I could keep up in the turns, and while it had no discernible top-end rush, I got a few tickets and I tickled triple digits more than once.

Very fun bike.  Thumbsup

I had my 883C tuned to perfection and I ran it up to an indicated 115mph before. She was almost done though. It might have been able to hit 120 on the speedo so maaaaybe 110 actual. Thing is, that bike would seriously get your blood pumping at that speed where my Busa is practically a snooze at 100. That 21" front wheel and the somewhat spongy frame did not inspire confidence over the ton.  Wow It was fun though.

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »

The Boz brothers learned their racing chops on Sportsters.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

Motorcycles: See signature
GPS: Lehigh Valley, PA
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »

After what Harley did to PA, no one form this state should back them.  They flat out blackmailed the government into tax breaks and other under the table incentives, or they were going to board up the York plant and move to Kentucky, where that state was waving fist fulls of cash as an incentive.  I hated Rendell, but he knew losing a thousand jobs in already depressed York would not bode well for him, so he buckled.  Yes, I realize ALL big businesses play that game these days, but while we are in a budget shortfall, it's good to know Hardley-Ableson gave their CEO a huge bonus while we look at more tax increases while they pay even less.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
keepergale

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 02 VFR
GPS: San Diego Ca.
Miles Typed: 435

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »

After what Harley did to PA, no one form this state should back them.  They flat out blackmailed the government into tax breaks and other under the table incentives, or they were going to board up the York plant and move to Kentucky, where that state was waving fist fulls of cash as an incentive.  I hated Rendell, but he knew losing a thousand jobs in already depressed York would not bode well for him, so he buckled.  Yes, I realize ALL big businesses play that game these days, but while we are in a budget shortfall, it's good to know Hardley-Ableson gave their CEO a huge bonus while we look at more tax increases while they pay even less.

So are you enjoying the jobs and taxes created by the manufacture of your Ducatis instead? Embarassment
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »

So are you enjoying the jobs and taxes created by the manufacture of your Ducatis instead? Embarassment

My father in law worked there and some of his friends.  He left on his own and everybody loyal to the former plant manager got forced out.  

While no state likes to lose jobs (which is why your representatives spend tons to make sure San Diego's military installations never fall under BRAC) Harley pays even less in taxes now.  

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »

They're a for-profit, publicly-traded business. Their first and foremost obligation is to maximize the returns to the shareholders.

Oh, I agree, and I said other companies do it, which is still a problem.  When GE paid no taxes on $5B in revenue, and roads, bridges, and vital infrastructures are falling apart, the gravy train needs to end.

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »

RT is totally right here. They absolutely blackmailed PA with the York factory, yadda yadda and what he said.
+1

One more reason not to patronize the bitches. Seriously.
They threatened to shut it down, people freaked and people were let go, and it was a big clusterfuck and Harley management played their chess game with a big local economy.  Who wins? Who knows. CEO's get the big automatic deposits in their checking accounts I'm sure.

And Rendell was just another corrupted connected prick up here in the great state if PA like all the rest of the politicians. He pounded this state into red ink so bad it's not even funny, and the potholes got deeper and deeper.

halloween over.
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 104

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YZ250F/SM, DRZ400SM, YZF600, KTM450SMR
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10007

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »

The Boz brothers learned their racing chops on Sportsters.

Not really. They raced dirt track for years in Northern California; mostly singles on short tracks. The old 883 series paid fairly well and it was easy to find dealers to support a team or rider (HD is still pretty good about this for the XR1200 series) so it attracted a lot of young talent. Ben was racing a privateer RC45 for Zero Gravity while also racing in the 883 series and before ever getting a factory ride in AMA. Yes, they raced Sportsters but it was just a very small part of their racing careers and only after many years of racing other bikes.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.

TwoWhldTerror

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR
Miles Typed: 80

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

They're a for-profit, publicly-traded business. Their first and foremost obligation is to maximize the returns to the shareholders.

Only because that is how the "system" is setup today. Does not mean it should be that way or that we cannot change things.
Playinthestreet

Reputation -6

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:50 AM »

Only because that is how the "system" is setup today. Does not mean it should be that way or that we cannot change things.

What's the "system" in Japan??  
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »

This "system" of which you speak...

He's talking about the "system" which puts shareholder profit first and foremost--ahead of product quality, treatment of employees, environmental concerns, everything.

E=MC2
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

Well, wut I got out of this is you know Harley is making a good product if the complaints aimed at them are related to business ethics.

Remember the good ole days of oil leaking, doo rag wearing, breaking down Harley bashing?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »

He's talking about the "system" which puts shareholder profit first and foremost--ahead of product quality, treatment of employees, environmental concerns, everything.

they pretty much go together as the profits won't continue without the rest Wink

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal