Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print

Topic: The return of the $20 fill-up  (Read 13361 times)

BBB

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '05 R1200GS '08 K1200S
GPS: Welwyn Garden City, UK
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

My point is at least BBB has routes available to him, maybe not door to door VIP service but he has something to work with.    I found the bus & train service to be much better in the UK than in the U.S.      It's not just me, it's my spouse, who grew up in Ayershire, lived in Glasgow and Edinburgh.   It's my Scottish nephews, one who now works for Apple and one who comes to the U.S.  regularly on business.     Those guys always mention the lack of a decent rail service in the U.S., which is itself ironic as hell considering the mighty US rail lines helped populate the West.  

BBB knows where Ayreshire and Killwinning (sp?) are located and we literally were able to leave our families home, walk to a train station and from there go to Glasgow, Edinburgh , London and if we wanted visit France for dinner....all on clean trains that ran on time.    Even if you live waaaaay north at least you can get to some sort of mass transit system.  

One example of where you stayed does not make for a good system. There are hundreds of towns and villages in the UK where they are not within walking distance of a train or bus station.

Your comments about the trains being clean and on time are not correct either. Talk to commuters who use the trains to get to work and they will tell you a very different story.

Quote from: gritsngravy
I understand being bitter about $8/gal gas...errr petrol but the UK is small compared to the US and their transit system is simply more accessable on the whole than the transit system in the U.S.    

Whilst the UK is smaller than the US, your comment shows that you don't know the situation very well here. For many the transportation system is as bad as it is in parts of the US and a car is a necessity, not a luxury.

PS Nice to see some intelligent debate on this thread from the many who have contributed. I guess that will be the kiss of death now. I'll get my coat Smile
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:41:54 AM by BBB » Logged
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »

We like to argue about pointless stuff.  It makes for a great distraction from the hum-drum of working.   Lol

Toyota reported very high sales number for their Prius hybrid.  Ford and GM are also reporting record sales for their Focus and Cruze "compact cars".  Even the Volt had its best month yet since its introduction.  Fiat also had the highest sales number for the 500.  Same with the MB Smart cars.  These are February sales figures.  

What is puzzling to analysts is that SUV and full size pick up sales were also up.  Go figure.   Headscratch

I think these high sales numbers were a surge to meet pent up demand for new cars in the US.  We will have a clearer picture in another three months.  If gas prices remain high, analysts project sales of hybrids and fuel efficient cars in the US climbing even higher.  This is also good for scooter/motorcycle sales (albeit we are talking entry level motorcycles).  

Was just reading Cycle World's road test of the beautiful Aprilia Tuono.  Combined city/highway of 31 mpg.  That's L-O-W!  Okay well, I think I'm getting 38 mpg city on my VFR800 with the PCIII fueling upgrade.  The hybrids beat that easily in the city and hwy.  I believe Scooters are the fuel efficiency kings.

Rogue
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

What is puzzling to analysts is that SUV and full size pick up sales were also up.  Go figure.   Headscratch

If you can afford a new SUV you can likely afford to fuel the thing.  I still say gas is CHEAP as a percentage of your household income.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 366

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »

If you can afford a new SUV you can likely afford to fuel the thing......

yup, those that can afford a $60,000 Yukon Denali couldn't care less about the $125 it takes to fill it up. Those of us on the other end of the spectrum though......

......I still say gas is CHEAP as a percentage of your household income.

Not in my household. My montly fuel expenses don't quite match my mortgage payment but they come pretty darn close when gas is $4+/gal.  Sad  My top 3 expenses for any given month are: Mortage, Food, and Gasoline. The cost at the pump directly affects 2 of those.

insert witty saying here.
Mookie
1/31/07 Never forget

Reputation -363

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: Slotard and a Duke
GPS: land of the sea chickens
Miles Typed: 7831

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Chances are if your gas is anywhere near as much as your mortgage you're living in the wrong place or driving the wrong thing.  

It always surprises me to hear people that live in the burbs complain about the cost of them driving everywhere.  Fact is the reason you moved out to the burbs was because your house was probably cheaper and you could get a big ass yard and a garage.  Well, there are trade-offs involved.  Namely, you can no longer walk to anything and where ever you need to go you'll probably have to drive a lot further.  There's a reason why your house was cheaper than the equivalent house in the city.  Because you'll be making up the costs elsewhere.

The cost to build the roads out to your former farm land was completely subsidized by either your government or your developer and thus the true cost is never really shown to the people actually paying for it.  This all goes towards the American system of subsidizing cars at the expense of urban density thus making real mass transit systems impossible to implement.

The only real solution is to set clear boundaries around cities where development must stop.  No more endless suburbs.  If you want to build it's got to be in the boundary, and either infilled or built up.  Developers clearly won't do that voluntarily, and as long as the costs are hidden to the people that are spending their money, the home buyers won't stop either.  Of course, as long as gas prices keep going up the suburbs will perhaps start dying out too, but by then it'll be too late to save the farmland and all the money that went into building out those monstrous ex-urbs in the first place.

Mookie, the king of stupid Obamunist trolls on STN.
-FiremanBob
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »

He asked for average mileage per year. He didn't say "for a motorcycle".

That's correct. Average for the typical American not including vacations or joy rides on the scooter.  12k to 15k is about right. Obviously some areas require a longer commute and some much smaller but we are talking about average.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
gritsngravy

Reputation 3

Miles Typed: 1028

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »

One example of where you stayed does not make for a good system. There are hundreds of towns and villages in the UK where they are not within walking distance of a train or bus station.

Your comments about the trains being clean and on time are not correct either. Talk to commuters who use the trains to get to work and they will tell you a very different story.

Whilst the UK is smaller than the US, your comment shows that you don't know the situation very well here. For many the transportation system is as bad as it is in parts of the US and a car is a necessity, not a luxury.

PS Nice to see some intelligent debate on this thread from the many who have contributed. I guess that will be the kiss of death now. I'll get my coat Smile

Well ah don't let door hit your bum on the way out. Lol Lol     Hey man,  like I said you've got me convinced that your life sucks so I'll leave it be.    It's probably an issue of my inlaws making wise choices where to live in relation to transportation.   I've never heard them whine to the extent you do about fuel prices and the lack of transportation, in fact they don't complain at all, they just,  now what's that famous Brit motto...oh yeah, they just get on with it!      
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 366

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »

Chances are if your gas is anywhere near as much as your mortgage you're living in the wrong place or driving the wrong thing.....

Long story short; there are no jobs close to home worth having. I commute 40mi in one direction to make a mediocre living and my wife has to commute 15mi or so in the exact opposite direction. I purposely bought a house closer to her work to spare her the 1.5-2hrs of driving each day because she hates it more than I and she deals with dropping off/picking up the kids. We live outside of town because I HATE city living (hate isn't even a strong enough word) and I expect a bit of a "gas penalty" for it. That "penalty" keeps getting larger and larger as some billionaire oil guy lines his pockets with record profits though and its frustrating to me.

I either drive a Ford Focus getting about 35mpg or an old Saturn getting about 38, depending on my mood that day. that's assuming that I can't be on the bike for whatever reason (typically weather related). All together, I put about 20,000mi/yr on my car, about 8000mi/year on my bike and my wife drives about 10-12,000 mi/yr. That's a total of almost 40k mi/year.  EEK!

My gas is quite close to my mortgage because I spend an above average amount on gas and I owe a below average amount on my house; I'm not one of those idiots that bought a $400k house on a $50k income.

insert witty saying here.
Jim M.

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14/ 2005 Yamaha Majesty/ 2001 Yamaha WR400
GPS: VA
Miles Typed: 208

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »

The really ridiculous part is the folks who will rush out and spend more money on an econobox vehicle to "save money". I have an F350 diesel that gets about 15mpg and about 13 when hauling, but it's paid for. I could run run right out and buy a Chevy Volt, but then again, $40,000 would buy me a shart load of diesel fuel!
Meemuh

Reputation 135

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 1981 XS650, 2000 Concours
GPS: Holland, MI
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »

The really ridiculous part is the folks who will rush out and spend more money on an econobox vehicle to "save money". I have an F350 diesel that gets about 15mpg and about 13 when hauling, but it's paid for. I could run run right out and buy a Chevy Volt, but then again, $40,000 would buy me a shart load of diesel fuel!

Exactly why I'm still the 98 expedition.  It's only got a few more fill-ups before I just leave it at the junk yard...I deal with replacing it then.
BBB

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '05 R1200GS '08 K1200S
GPS: Welwyn Garden City, UK
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2012, 04:04:24 AM »

Well ah don't let door hit your bum on the way out. Lol Lol     Hey man,  like I said you've got me convinced that your life sucks so I'll leave it be.    It's probably an issue of my inlaws making wise choices where to live in relation to transportation.   I've never heard them whine to the extent you do about fuel prices and the lack of transportation, in fact they don't complain at all, they just,  now what's that famous Brit motto...oh yeah, they just get on with it!      

If all you can do is to make a personal attack against me to try and argue your point then it is clear that your have run out of steam and don't have much to say in the first place. Rolleyes
gritsngravy

Reputation 3

Miles Typed: 1028

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

If all you can do is to make a personal attack against me to try and argue your point then it is clear that your have run out of steam and don't have much to say in the first place. Rolleyes

You said you're transit system sucks for you, my US and UK family have had positive experiences with the UK transit system.   A fundamental difference in experience and opinion.   Feel free to take that as a personal attack if you wish.    
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal