Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Scottoiler does its job  (Read 1478 times)

Morgan
Time to lean

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 179

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »

I got a Scottoiler a while back because my SV650 seems to have a propensity to kill chains off in about 16,000 miles despite meticulous maintenance.  After a particularly nasty wet ride, I elected to clean my chain.  Since getting the oiler, I clean the chain after every long really wet ride (once every 5K?), instead of the previous lube every 500mi, clean every 1000mi interval.  

Anyway, I was getting curious as to how old my chain was so I consulted my records.  It would appear that my current chain has well over 30,000 miles on it and it looks beautiful.  No tight spots, and no pulling off of the sprocket.  Plus the sprockets look brand new.  

The only drawback is the oil spray onto the rear tire  EEK!  But you come to realize that it scrubs cleanly off and only makes the bike more fun on wet roads.  And, frankly, if I dial the flow down, oil won't end up on the tire.  

Curvy SV650
2007 CBR600RR
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4434

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:11:27 AM »

I put a Scott on my wifes F650GS.  We ran a 6500 mile ride to Alaska.  The ONLY thing clean after the Haul Road was the chain on her bike.

I'm a believer.

Scott Oilers are good kit.  

(*Pity they don't make one stylish enough to fit on a Ducati!   Lol  )

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 23

Miles Typed: 2822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »

Same here, I feel the Scotoiler (or similar system) is the way to go. It lubes the chain when in use and I do not have to worry about turning it on/off. Every 600 or so miles, or when ever I clean the bike, I fill the reservoir. The chain runs smoother and quieter then it ever has.  Pretty sure any chain drive bike I own, from here on, will have a Scottoiler or similar product.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
caasland

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2006 FJR1300, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 176

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »

I shall dissent.

I had one on a VFR years ago. It didn't compensate for temperature changes (like changing altitudes) so it was either dry or messy sloppy. I saw no improvement in chain life, but lots of fiddling with the drain rate and lots of crap fling off ... so i figured it's much easier to pop it up on the center stand and lube the chain every 500 miles.
02Tac
just plugging along

Reputation 23

Miles Typed: 2822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

Dissention is good. I agree that it does not compensate, but I will say that I found going to chainsaw bar oil instead of the Scootoil seems to have mitigated it a bit.  I have mine set to about 2 minutes per drop instead of the recommened 1 minute. The chain still stays moist, there is less fling off (could be th edifferent oil too) and if there is going to be a drastic temp change all I need to is turn the adjustment dial a little bit one way or the other.

Chain maintenance is kind of like tires or engine oil. Some people like this and others like that. In the end it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with what you choose.

The road is NOT your personal race track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

If you could ride 1/2 as good as you think you do, you would be a pro.
TonyKZ1

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1997 Yamaha Seca II, 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Gone), 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (sold)
GPS: Southeast MO
Miles Typed: 77

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

I'm also happy with my Scottoiler, it's greatly extended my chain life. My wheel turns noticeably easier all the time than it would had the chain only been lubed occasionally. I've also switched to chainsaw bar oil for the summer months at least.
Tony

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock with a pair of Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, a Scottoiler system.
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »

I may have to try one?  On a realted note I have started using sae 80/90 gear lube instead of commercail chain lubes (per the manual on all 3 of my bikes Rolleyes) it seems to make a difference? the chains seem to be cleaner, roll easier, and once I mdified an oil can it is just as quick/easy as an aerosol can? Application is a bit messy but I leave it sit on the gralev driveway for a while before putting it in the garage and all is well..

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Silverbird

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2006 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1432

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

Does it actually clean the chain or just lube it?

Titties
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal