Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Can someone esplain the immobilizer thingy?  (Read 2806 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:27:06 AM »

My Griso.
Everytime I turn it on it asks for a code.  It starts anyway if I ignore it .
The dealer seems, umm, not of much help and the owner's manual is a bit confusing.

It is meant to be used in case the immobilizer for some reason does not recognize the keys, so how do I initially set it?
I'm ass-uming after the first time it is set I will no longer see that message.

I'm old and the print in the manual is very very small...

Thanks!

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
blakebird
Member since April '02

Reputation 24

GPS: Parker, CO
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »

My 1200 Sport always said that at start up, it's not necessary or required at all....and it goes away when the startup light show is over.
I asked the dealer once (a good one who knew) - but forgot what he told me  Twofinger  Whatever it was, it put my mind at ease that I didn't need to enter a code  Lol

IBA #11735  -  '12 FJR 1300  -  '13 Thruxton  -  '92 BMW R100GS PD
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/blakebird/past%20bikes/?start=all
UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13103

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »

Have you set your code/PIN?  Maybe because you haven't set it yet it just ignore it?

I know I can start my Multistrada with no key (or dead key) if I enter my PIN (which I've set during deliver).  But this is different than an immobilizer...I think.

Regardless, it adds Italian character. Lol

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

I'm sure you will figure it out when you're 200miles from home and the bike is on the side of the road and won't start.

I really dislike these electronic "disable" features on these bikes. Big complaints about them on otherwise superb motorcycles. Get rid of the unnecessary
circuits. More shit to to wrong.  Thumbsdown

One of the things that was always appealing to me about Guzzi's was their simplicity.

halloween over.
FiremanBob

Reputation -530

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2001 Blackbird, 1964 Honda CB77
Miles Typed: 1561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »

Typical Italian engineering. They give you a whiz-bang gizmo, don't provide instructions for how to use it, and it doesn't work anyway.

"Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

Typical Italian engineering. They give you a whiz-bang gizmo, don't provide instructions for how to use it, and it doesn't work anyway.

I'm not sure about that yet.

You are meant to set a code in case the immobilizer for some reason stops recognizing the key.  It allows you to then over-ride that and start the bike, with key, anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out how to initially set it!

My Harley was similar, you set a code that you used in case the alarm fob's battery failed.  But it was very simple to do, and decently explained.  At least the print was larger...

Mike-H

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: KTM 530 EXC, YAMAHA XT250, HONDA CB1100F, DUCATI 900SS FE, YAMAHA FJR 1300
GPS: Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 3302

My Photo Gallery

Aspiring back to a dirt donk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

The quality goes in before the name goes on rofl.....typical just typical

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »

(Cough!) Well, actually, it is all explained in the owner's handbook but......

The 'User Code' is not the same as the 'Service Code'.

The User Code is a security device so that if someone tries to force the lock the bike won't start because the antenna can't find the key chip. I know of two people who's bikes were prevented from being stolen by this little safeguard. I'm glad its there.

Put the toggle switch to 'Mode'

Sellect 'Menu' and hold the button down.

Scroll down to 'Change the code' and hold the button down.

The dash will say 'Insert the Code'.

Press the button and the first of five digits will appear. Press it repeatedly until you get the number you want then hold the button down. The next digit will appear. This can be repeated for the five digits of the code of your choice.

Choose the code CAREFULLY and make sure you note it down. I suggest to my customers they use the first five numbers of their numerical birth date for instance, (If you were born today in 1967 for instance your code, in the UK or Oz, would be 29026. In the USA the day and month would be reversed.).

When the last number is inserted it will go back to the menu. Next time you turn the bike on the 'Don't Forget' message will no longer appear.

Thing is if the antenna is damaged or for some other reason the dashboard can't read the chip the bike won't start. BUT if you have the code the dash will ask you to insert it. When you do the bike can be started again and you can ride home or to your dealer or whoever. You will also need the code to programme more keys or to change the code if required.

I'm sorry your dealer wasn't able to walk you through this simple proceedure. It's something I do with all customers as part of the delivery and set-up. Obviously I'm an idiot.

Pete
spd2918

Reputation -400

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »

I really dislike these electronic "disable" features on these bikes.

That shouldn't be a problem for you since your bike was designed during the Reagan Presidency.

Oh yes.  I went there.  Bigok

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
radlefty

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 BMW K1300s
GPS: Mpls
Miles Typed: 204

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »

What Pete said. Simple process. Really sad there are  so few quality dealers for these awesome bikes.

It's alway's about the journey.... Wherever you go, there you are
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »

(Cough!) Well, actually, it is all explained in the owner's handbook but......

The 'User Code' is not the same as the 'Service Code'.

The User Code is a security device so that if someone tries to force the lock the bike won't start because the antenna can't find the key chip. I know of two people who's bikes were prevented from being stolen by this little safeguard. I'm glad its there.

Put the toggle switch to 'Mode'

Sellect 'Menu' and hold the button down.

Scroll down to 'Change the code' and hold the button down.

The dash will say 'Insert the Code'.

Press the button and the first of five digits will appear. Press it repeatedly until you get the number you want then hold the button down. The next digit will appear. This can be repeated for the five digits of the code of your choice.

Choose the code CAREFULLY and make sure you note it down. I suggest to my customers they use the first five numbers of their numerical birth date for instance, (If you were born today in 1967 for instance your code, in the UK or Oz, would be 29026. In the USA the day and month would be reversed.).

When the last number is inserted it will go back to the menu. Next time you turn the bike on the 'Don't Forget' message will no longer appear.

Thing is if the antenna is damaged or for some other reason the dashboard can't read the chip the bike won't start. BUT if you have the code the dash will ask you to insert it. When you do the bike can be started again and you can ride home or to your dealer or whoever. You will also need the code to programme more keys or to change the code if required.

I'm sorry your dealer wasn't able to walk you through this simple proceedure. It's something I do with all customers as part of the delivery and set-up. Obviously I'm an idiot.

Pete

Fantastic!  Thank you Pete!

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13958

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »

Italian codes are merely suggestions

just like their traffic lights  Bigsmile

Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:43 AM »

3 years for those fob batteries and whammo.

The dude who bought my Sportster emailed me asking what was up. i suggested batteries. Sure enough.  Thumbsup

My brother's 'Glide is doing the same thing...  Thumbsup

There are no batteries. The ignition switch has an inductive coil in it. When the key is turned on the coil produces a magnetic field sufficient to produce an EMF that will cause the chip in the key to broadcast its code. This is detected by the antenna that surrounds the lock barrel and it sends a message to the dash saying go/no-go.

It's very simple, very elegant and virtually foolproof. What's not to like? And no batteries to go flat!!!!!

Pete
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »

That shouldn't be a problem for you since your bike was designed during the Reagan Presidency.

Oh yes.  I went there.  Bigok

The color and styling is his immobilizer.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Moto Morphin Power Ranger
Ottenere una moto vera

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 Moto-Guzzi Griso 8V, 1978 Yamaha XS1100,
GPS: Region Six
Miles Typed: 754

My Photo Gallery

twitter.com/motomuzzey

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

Mine does this with the spare key only.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow What a Ride HST
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »

Anyway, I set the code using Pete's instructions.
Really simple and cool seeing what the other functions do.

It's a shame really the shop could not show me this stuff.

Also spent some quality time with the hairdrier removing all the stickers.  I have never seen so many warning stickers on a bike.
There's a huge one explaining what spark plugs and oil to use, and another that says not to put stuff on a key chain and dangle it down the steering column!

Biking Sailor

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Couple of Guzzis, a Thruxton, and a KLR, and a bunch of the Kid's bikes
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 696

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »

Of course there will NO stickers about a man-purse!

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »

Of course there will NO stickers about a man-purse!

On my Ducati there's one that sez I need to carry it across my right shoulder, hanging down the left side.

Apparently they take into account the aerodynamics and such in the design.

Ever wondered about those aerodynamic humps on the backs of racing leathers?  Yup, Dainese pioneered that.  After discovering that Ducatisti rode quicker with "European Carry Alls", which once on the move, rotate to the center of the back.
And who makes Ducati's brand leathers?  That's right, Dainese.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal