Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Griso dip stick and oil level question  (Read 3035 times)

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:06 am »

2012 Griso SE.
From the end of the dipstick, there is one line about 5mm up, then another line maybe 30 mm up.  I'm ass-uming that those are the min and max marks..
So, 2 questions:
1/ How much oil does it take to go from min to max level?  Level is checked with bike upright, dipstick not screwed in.
2/ The owner's manual says if checked cold, the oil level could be showing LESS than the 'actual' amount.  This I do not understand.  Every other bike I've owned would show more than the 'actual' amount if checked when cold, as all the oil had had time to drain down. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:50:59 am »

Motor hot or cold, bike upright, fill to about halfway between the two lines. If you fill to the 'Max' line it will just blow some out into the airbox.

Once it has 'Found its level' which is, as I say, usually between the 'Full' and 'Add' lines with the bike upright and the stick not screwed in the bike can be put on its sidestand and the oil checked again. Mark the stick at the point the oil is at and use that as your new 'Max' mark for checking on the sidestand.

Do NOT get all constipated about always having the oil at the 'Full' mark on the stick. As I said they find their own level and if you keep on topping it up it'll happily keep on pumping it out which is not only wasteful but can lead to gummed up throttle butterflies and grumpy stepper motors. They have lots of oil. Between 'Full' and 'Add' is about 700ml.

Pete
Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:33 am »

2/ The owner's manual says if checked cold, the oil level could be showing LESS than the 'actual' amount.  This I do not understand.  Every other bike I've owned would show more than the 'actual' amount if checked when cold, as all the oil had had time to drain down. What am I missing here?

Expansion of the oil from heat will increase indicated volume, maybe.

I bet they're assuming the motor has been shut off for a little while to allow oil to drain.
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »

Once it has 'Found its level' which is, as I say, usually between the 'Full' and 'Add' lines with the bike upright and the stick not screwed in the bike can be put on its sidestand and the oil checked again. Mark the stick at the point the oil is at and use that as your new 'Max' mark for checking on the sidestand.

Perfect!  Now my gf will stop complaining about helping me check it!
Posted on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:38 AM

Do NOT get all constipated about always having the oil at the 'Full' mark on the stick. As I said they find their own level and if you keep on topping it up it'll happily keep on pumping it out which is not only wasteful but can lead to gummed up throttle butterflies and grumpy stepper motors. They have lots of oil. Between 'Full' and 'Add' is about 700ml.

Pete

My Duc is the same way, it has its happy point which is mid way.
Thanks for the 700ml info, looks like I'll use 350 (I use a big syringe in the garage)

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:12:08 pm »

(I use a big syringe in the garage)

Nasty! Last time I tried that I ended up making the infection worse!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal