Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Am I crazy? Georgia to Idaho and back....  (Read 7269 times)

evilted

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

My $.02:  

Make sure you factor in time for weather (thunderstorms) and construction/detours.

If you plan your trip on secondary roads you have the advantage of being able to jump onto the slab in order to make up time if necessary.  

Riding during daylight hours is lots less fatiguing, in my experience, than riding at night.  August is a good time to make this kind of trip.

If you're reasonably fit and used to the riding position, you can do consecutive 600-700 mile days as long you're taking breaks to stretch your legs (your bladder will likely determines how frequently you have to stop), and getting adequate rest at night.  

Staying sharp is key.  Don't ride tired.

FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1739

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »

It's not just a single 600-700 mile day, anyone can push themselves to do one.  It's a string of them, and fatigue builds up if you're not used to that sustained level.  If you don't do this a lot, build a few rest days into your plan.

+100 to this ^^.  

Add in that you are doing it in August when it will be HOT.
And factor in that across the Midwest you can count on strong afternoon winds to beat you up and wear you out. Many a time I rode in Iowa when there was a 20-35 mph cross wind that ate you alive.

And the potential for late afternoon SEVERE thunderstorms is high in the midwest in August.  Nothing like golf ball sized hail to turn an OK ride into Hell.

For that distance in that time frame you just can't spend much time on secondary roads to actually enjoy the ride so you end up droning along on the super-slabe for hours and how much fun is that? At the end of the long trip, being tired and droning along in hot weather is not just inconvenient it can be dangerous.

Either allow more time for shorter days and more rest or better yet, just fly out, rent a bike and feel much better at the end.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:18:05 PM by FJRmgm » Logged
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13986

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »

Me: I want to paddle my kayak to Antarctica.

ST.N: Go for it!!  firedevil

couch

Bigsmile

Croak

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 03 Aprilia Tuono, '13 Kymco Agility City 200i
GPS: Is-Swieqi/San Ġiljan, Malta
Miles Typed: 1527

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

Me: I want to paddle my kayak to Antarctica.

ST.N: Go for it!!  firedevil

couch

Bigsmile

SupportTouring.net, that's us!
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5628

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »

FJR??
dude, put the pipe down, then look at those bikes again (or grizz's opening comments).
B12, Blackbird CBR. No Yammie.

Lol  Oops.  Embarassment  Well, it's still a well-packed bike and the pics are still nice.  

And if you think reeling off consecutive 1,000+ miles a day in August is child's play..., let's just say we'll agree to disagree.  I mean touring on a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable, not a two-wheeled version of the Bataan Death March.   Crazy

I'd say budget three to four days from GA-->ID.  

When I did my cross-country on the Goose a couple of summers ago, I actually enjoyed US 20 across northern Nebraska and Iowa.  And the Fur Trade Museum in Chadron, Neb., was worth the stop.  Thumbsup

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Eric308

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »

Lol  Oops.  Embarassment  Well, it's still a well-packed bike and the pics are still nice.  

And if you think reeling off consecutive 1,000+ miles a day in August is child's play..., let's just say we'll agree to disagree.  I mean touring on a motorcycle is supposed to be enjoyable, not a two-wheeled version of the Bataan Death March.   Crazy

I'd say budget three to four days from GA-->ID.  

When I did my cross-country on the Goose a couple of summers ago, I actually enjoyed US 20 across northern Nebraska and Iowa.  And the Fur Trade Museum in Chadron, Neb., was worth the stop.  Thumbsup
See? There's at least two of us now. Thumbsup I love it across there.
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5437

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »

Make it three.  I thoroughly enjoyed riding from Sioux City to Thermopolis on 20.  We stayed in Chadron too.  I highly recommend the Westerner Motel for price and value.

SupportTouring.net, that's us!

Nothing like having a bunch of enablers egging you on.   Lol
Eric308

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »

Make it three.  I thoroughly enjoyed riding from Sioux City to Thermopolis on 20.  We stayed in Chadron too.  I highly recommend the Westerner Motel for price and value.

Nothing like having a bunch of enablers egging you on.   Lol
I also stayed at the Westerner. Thumbsup Just west in Harrison, NE I stopped at this place and did not partake of the monster....I did witness a guy eat one though. Lol
http://www.beimers.com/roadtrip/morning115.html
Elseanno
Wish I was ridin'

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 99 Concours, 2007 Tiger
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »

I know several people who've made it from Santa Monica to Jacksonville in under 48 hours. So the bike is of no concern here.

I think Andrew's advice is sound. Start training now by making longer and longer rides on weekends. By summer you should be able to a 600-700 mile loop once a week on the weekend. Two or three midweek rides of 3 hours or so if you don't commute on the bike will really help. It's putting in miles regularly that I have found to be the key to comfortably riding big miles.

OTOH,
Maybe you could arrange get with other people to tow the bike out either as part of a move or other rider's doing a similar ride. You could then share expenses and driving, or get out of the driving part all together.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »

We shouldn't forget that the safety guru guy, Larry Grozniak (sp), paid the ultimate price when he struck a deer while trying to cross West Texas at night, because he had Gotta-get-there-itis.

spd2918

Reputation -399

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »

We shouldn't forget that the safety guru guy, Larry Grozniak (sp), paid the ultimate price when he struck a deer while trying to cross West Texas at night, because he had Gotta-get-there-itis.

I think it was just the deer.

Many of us do not live in states that have fantastic riding.  To get to the diverse places we want to ride, we have to ride through places that are boring.  Big deal- that is part of the experience.  If I didn't have to ride through Illinois I would not enjoy North Carolina as much.  That's Sport-Touring- you get there on your bike and then rip it up.  Flying in and renting seems like a cop-out.  You buy a bike made for touring and canyon carving and then you fly?  There is a lot of country between here and there, and a lot to experience beyond the twisties.

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2012, 01:42:26 AM »

I think it was just the deer.

No. I remember reading the obituary...said he wanted to get home, so made the decision to ride on thru the night.

Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:05 AM »

Many of us do not live in states that have fantastic riding.  

Why not? Smile

E=MC2
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:01 AM »

I also stayed at the Westerner. Thumbsup Just west in Harrison, NE I stopped at this place and did not partake of the monster....I did witness a guy eat one though. Lol
http://www.beimers.com/roadtrip/morning115.html

Bookmarked that place.  There's a steakhouse kitty corner to the Westerner that does a mean steak, saving a ride to dinner after being on the bike all day.  Easy walking distance.

Knowing your limits and riding safe are key.  I'm off the road well before 8PM to get a motel or set up camp and eat a good dinner.  Night time brings too many hidden dangers, even though the roads may seem traffic free and easy to ride.  Yeah, I've had the gethome-itis too.  Learning to ignore that is simply smart and sometimes life saving.

Summertime has long daylight hours, easing the ability to cover 6-700 miles in light conditions.  I start out for breakfast at sunrise, ride until dusk and stop.  That usually 12-14 hours mid summer.  Figure a moving average of just 50 mph and that's 600+ miles.  Up the average by slabbing the ride, cut your gas stops to a minimum  and you can do a SS1000 in 16 hours.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:51:50 AM by sleazy rider » Logged
bikerfish1100
Can't reMember

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2001 R1100S, 2009 F800GS, some BMW project stuff
GPS: Northern Front Range, CO
Miles Typed: 1730

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 07:18:47 AM »

Larry Grodsky. rip.
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/041106/sta_041106066.shtml
spd2918

Reputation -399

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: ST1300RR (for trips), YZF600R (for tracks), Police ElectraGlide (for tickets)
GPS: NW WI
Miles Typed: 4225

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »

No. I remember reading the obituary...said he wanted to get home, so made the decision to ride on thru the night.

That's like saying his decision to ride a motorcycle (at all) killed him.  I guess we shouldn't ride at 8pm to be safe.  Rolleyes

I bring more than Skittles to a gun fight.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

I guess we shouldn't ride at 8pm to be safe.  Rolleyes

that's a given.

bonnieboomer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 DR-650; 08 GSF-1250
GPS: Valley of VA
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »

With Orson on the night-riding thing. I do it when I have to, but only at much-reduced speeds. Here in the East, it becomes habit to keep two fingers on the brake lever at all times. Once into the wide open West, you can skip that part of safety drill -- in the daytime.

I've done something similar to this trip both ways - fly/rent and ride/ride/ride. With only ten days total, you're going to have a lot more fun by flying to SLC. It's still a long way to Oregon!

One warning: unless something has changed lately, EagleRider SLC is the only game in town. Call far in advance to reserve your ride. If you're lucky, they'll still have R1200RT's to rent, but there is a mileage surcharge for logging over 200 miles a day.

Miscellany: If you decide to do it all on your FJR, do yourself a favor and install cruise control. There are so many great roads that you can't go wrong on the route, but some type of cooling rig would also be handy to take. Kansas on a hot day is a lot closer to Hell than you might have imagined. Biker shorts are also a must.

bonnieboomer

Judges of men are born, not made.
Kootenanny
"Not That Good"

Reputation 33

Miles Typed: 4627

My Photo Gallery

Buellshit!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Up the average by slabbing the ride, cut your gas stops to a minimum  and you can do a SS1000 in 16 hours.

I understand wearing "Depends" helps... Bigok

E=MC2
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »

I understand wearing "Depends" helps... Bigok

That just ain't happening in the next couple decades for me.   Lol  Time yourself at a gas refill.  It can easily be done under 10 minutes even with a pit stop.  Without, I can be on the road in 5 minutes usually.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal