Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Re: Motus Pricing - starting at $31k  (Read 21061 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »

Shil, I can see you on one.   Bigok

You are getting sleepy.  You ned this bike Shil, you need this bike.   Lol

shil

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2013 KLR, 1979 XS650
GPS: Uxbridge, ON
Miles Typed: 838

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

It's got two too many cylinders,and they're lined up the wrong way.  Razz
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »

Never underestimate the cost of developing something as complex as a motorcycle COMPLETELY from scratch. Frankly, Im surprised they got the price in the 30s.  Sad

Personally, if money werent an issue, Id buy this over ANY Ducati, BMW, Guzzi or whatever.
-I like the fact that it was designed, and built here in the States. There is a serious shortage of real motorcycle mfgs here. (Harley doesnt count in my book). And Id love to be able to support someone whos willing to build a useable motorcycle (not a fashion accessory) here in the good ol US of A.
-I applaud those who are willing to risk everything to chase a dream  Thumbsup
-Their idea of a perfect bike is VERY much inline with my own. I like the thought of a lightweight ST bike with a killer engine.  Inlove 600+lb tanks dont appeal to me no matter how comfortable or capable they may be.
-I LOVE the longitudinally mounted V4 and the noise it makes, best I can tell from the vids, is pure audible ecstasy.  Inlove Add in that it makes a butt-load of torque, WAY more than enough HP (especially the R) is virtually maintenance free (pushrods) and is unlike anything else out there and its just about perfect in my book.
-The look, to me, is just right, especially in black with those red valve covers.  Inlove

If I won the lotto tomorrow they would be a MST-R in my garage the next day. Unfortunately, I wont pay $31g+ for a car (that I can use in the snow and take my family places in) much less a motorcycle that I can only use, by myself, for 7-8mo out of the year.  Sad
I sincerely hope they take off and I wish them the very best of luck.
 Bigok

insert witty saying here.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 152

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »

I agree with you 100%.

My rants are mostly derived from the fact I am not able to convince myself to buy it.  I want it, yes.  But not for that price.  If I won the lotto and had more money than I needed, I'd catch a flight to my closest dealer and put money down on one sight unseen.  

(black with red valve covers, of course)   Inlove

But, since my decision is based on my current reality, I can't justify anything more than a Multi Touring S and that's still a stretch.  

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except... why doesn't Harley count as a "real American motorcycle manufacturer"...?  Headscratch

I don't like [insert brand of motorcycle here] therefore they are not real motorcycles.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13895

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »

IMHO, a rational person isn't going to buy this bike by paying a premium for Motus' R&D.  Therefore, their only market at this point is the "more money than brains" client (not meaning to be blunt).  

Some potential buyers may see themselves as a sort of benevolent venture capitalists...albeit with no return for their dollar, other than the desire to see a nascent concern succeed  Smile

Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2012, 07:17:14 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except... why doesn't Harley count as a "real American motorcycle manufacturer"...?  Headscratch

I don't like their bikes (for the most part), I don't agree with their buiness practices, I find their "American Legend" opinion of themselves to be insulting (do a quick search on the history of Harley, it's not as glamorous as they would have you believe) and I despise their "lifestyle" marketing with every fiber of my being. To sum it up, I have no respect for Harley as a manufacturer.  Thumbsdown

You are free to hold whatever opinion of them you chose to and I will think none the less of you for it. My personal opinion though I have no reservations about expressing.

It was not my intent to turn this into a Harley bashing thread. It's hard to mention "American motorcycle mfg" though without them coming up as they are pretty much the only game in town (Victory is still too small to make in dent in the grand scheme of things).

My point was, I think Motus may have built a bike that really could be something special. A good long test ride could confirm or rebuke this.

insert witty saying here.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »

Well, I see in the latest Motorcyclist magazine that the new upstart motorcycle company Metisse is marketing  a $27,000 bike that is a basic parallel twin, so I think that puts some perspective on the price of the Motus.

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2012, 12:23:15 AM »

Well, I see in the latest Motorcyclist magazine that the new upstart motorcycle company Metisse is marketing  a $27,000 bike that is a basic parallel twin, so I think that puts some perspective on the price of the Motus.

Good grief that thing is ugly.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 78

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »

Good grief that thing is ugly.

Rickman brothers bashing reported to moderators.

Lol

Threadjacked

supposed to be based on the old Rickman Metisse Triumph scramblers although I think they missed the mark.

Here's an original:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/Orsoni/MotoMuseum006.jpg

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '01 GS
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1626

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »

"Missed the mark" might be a good thing - that's even uglier than the 27 g Metisse.   Lol

Motus sounds like a steal next to that.
Kyle401

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '07 XB12X
GPS: SW MO
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »

"Since announcing the anticipated arrival of Motus we have had a tremendous response from customers interested in being some of the first to own this new American Motorcycle.  All bike orders will be filled in the order they are received.  If you would like to be added to our list of Future Motus Owners contact us today!"

From the local dealer's Motus page.  Still waiting to see one in person.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: 1336

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »

I agree with Rattleheads' sentiments on this page x1000.

And again, I'd LOVE to see this take off and become successful. Same here, I'd be on a plane with a certified check if I hit the lotto.

I think the bike is beautiful and it's great to see an American made motorcycle in a platform that moreso fits in with the desires of this crowd other than the typical big heavy chrome plated V-twin pig with some
stupid ass mucho-macho name related to trains, billiard tables, or tools.  Thumbsup

halloween over.
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3810

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »

Love everything about it but the price.  Too high.  Period. Market is limited to the money no object crowd, and that ain't me.

Isn't the issue that they claimed it would be affordable to get us all interested in it? I felt like the rug was pulled out from under me when they announced the price, justified or not.

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yam XVS950, Ninja 650
GPS: SE Wisc
Miles Typed: 4732

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »

Motus is beginning certification  and are aiming at delivering dealers their first MSTs this summer.
And.. they'll have  demo rides at Motus dealers and several other events!
Plus,  they've released the price of the 'crate' engine;  $10,220

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=80c5f8f2088bf98bbbb1cd00b&id=a4ba604a2c&e=2546b78ba3
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:03:22 PM by HipGnosis » Logged

Cultivate your curves - they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided. -- Mae West
Squareman357
ZX-14 Warg Rider

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '06 ZX-14, '03 GS500F, '02 CBR1100XX (sold), '03 Suzuki Katana (sold), '08 ZX-14
GPS: Chicago, IL
Miles Typed: 2051

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »

Motus is beginning certification  and are aiming at delivering dealers their first MSTs this summer.
And.. they'll have  demo rides at Motus dealers and several other events!
Plus,  they've released the price of the 'crate' engine;  $10,220

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=80c5f8f2088bf98bbbb1cd00b&id=a4ba604a2c&e=2546b78ba3

Seriously??  $10K just for the MOTOR???   Crazy Crazy Crazy I wish them all the luck in the world, the US can certainly use more local brands, but damn if they shouldn't have gotten some larger pockets to back them and get that price down.  For just a hair more than the motor I can buy a sport-tourer fully loaded from any number of makes.  Sheesh.
Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '01 GS
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1626

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

A couple of those could make for an awesome 3.3L V8.   Bigok  Anyone got an old Miata layin' around?   Lol
Zixxerpilot
Where does THIS bolt go?

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 04 Kawasaki z1000
GPS: Stevens Point, WI
Miles Typed: 1441

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »

Seriously??  $10K just for the MOTOR???   Crazy Crazy Crazy I wish them all the luck in the world, the US can certainly use more local brands, but damn if they shouldn't have gotten some larger pockets to back them and get that price down.  For just a hair more than the motor I can buy a sport-tourer fully loaded from any number of makes.  Sheesh.

Price an S&S crate engine once. That's cheap! And S&S isn't nearly as good.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know where I can find rubber pants my size?

www.onetruerob.com The Ramblings of One Strange Nerd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal