Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Rockslide on The Dragon  (Read 4436 times)

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:03 AM »

We are pleased to see that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated, and would like you to know that the two thermonuclear missiles currently converging upon your vessel are merely a courtesy we extend to all prospective customers.

So the good weed shops are still in Venice, I suppose??  Lol Lol

halloween over.
AzItLies

Reputation -72

Miles Typed: 191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:18:17 AM »

Meh, the Dragon. It's a jerk-off playground. Give me the Cherohola anyday or the BRP, I had much more fun.
The Dragon was just a technical PITA. I don't need to be running the Connie at 8 grand on the tach just to negotiate a road. It was fun though. Have to do it once I guess and put your little dragon sticker on the bike.  Smile

hmmmm have to differ here, maybe it's something to do with the difference between a connie and a feej? Wink

I'd much prefer the Dragon and would do it in 3rd gear pretty much the whole way (2nd in those really tight 350's). Plenty of torque for the corners and run it up to 7 or 8k in the straights... for a second or two, hey anybody can go fast in a straight line, no point in that.

The issues with the Cherohala or BRP, imho, is that yer gonna need to be going about 90 if you want to lean that bad boy over. The Dragon is peg scraping heaven. Technical? you bet yer arse, probably one of the top technical roads to ride in our Country. I love it.

+1, The Dragon is where people who need to be seen/photographed ride. IMO too many cops, Harleys, car clubs, trucks, newbies slaying the dragon to get T-shirt/sticker. Its actaully a dangerous road due to the other vehicles on it.
I rode it 20+ years ago when the speed limit was 55 and very few knew of it. It is just a tourist trap now.
I much prefer US28 south of 19/74, it's twisty, scenic, under patrolled, and still 55 MPH.

Not if you go during the week. And pretty early morning. I've ridden on early weekdays and sometimes seen not a single other vehicle. Other times as little as 2 or 3 tops. I wouldn't go on a weekend, almost like asking to crash.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5720

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »

Meh, the Dragon. It's a jerk-off playground. Give me the Cherohola anyday or the BRP, I had much more fun.
The Dragon was just a technical PITA. I don't need to be running the Connie at 8 grand on the tach just to negotiate a road. It was fun though. Have to do it once I guess and put your little dragon sticker on the bike.  Smile

I agree, mostly due to the circus-like atmosphere on weekends with all the traffic and enforcement. It's a great road if people/trucks/cops would stay off it. Personally, I prefer "The Snake" (TN 421) in Shady Valley, but the Dragon early on a weekday morning is worth doing a few times.

A couple of my riding buds were down there this past weekend. Haven't seen a ride report from them yet.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1, '02 ZRX1200, '09 Bandit 1250 (RIP)
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »

I've ridden the Dragon, Cherohola, and BRP and immensely enjoyed them all.  

Haven't been down to the Dragon since 2006, time to go again.

Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
sodapop6620

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1640

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »

This dam planet is just falling apart.

Dirtbikes on the Moon, you can't help but catch some BIG air Chili

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »

So the good weed shops are still in Venice, I suppose??  Lol Lol

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy..

Wink

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »

It's open again all the way through. The resort posted a FB update this afternoon - see FB is good for something  Twofinger

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 02:54:37 AM »

- see FB is good for something  Twofinger

That's about all it's good for.

Too much tourist dollars going down there, especially with the nice early warm spring we're having. Figured those rocks wouldn't be there long.  Lol

halloween over.
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2863

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »

I agree, mostly due to the circus-like atmosphere on weekends with all the traffic and enforcement. It's a great road if people/trucks/cops would stay off it. Personally, I prefer "The Snake" (TN 421) in Shady Valley, but the Dragon early on a weekday morning is worth doing a few times.

Totally concur.  The Dragon can have value though.  Last time down there, which might end up being my last time down there, we hit it on a Wed after a morning of rain and an accident or accident reconstruction by TSP.  We did a couple passes, had lunch and it dried up.  TSP went home and the road was nearly empty.  I'll spare everyone yet another post of that ONE video I have of me chasing the wife but you can see how few cars or bikes we encounter the whole run.  We got 8 or 10 passes and were able to get a really good feel of the place for a brisk pass.  Under those circumstances, the Dragon was awesome.  Under almost all other circumstances, it's a zoo.  I'd love to have the opportunity to run the Mt City to Shady Valley pass 10 times in a row but that's pretty unlikely.  Agree that the Cherohala and BRP are chock full of awesome but that's a speed run.  If you screw up on either of those while getting your lean on, it will end badly.  

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
CafeTBird
Limey Lovin' Member

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1996 Triumph T-Bird Cafe Racer, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T, 1973 Triumph TR7RV, 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
GPS: Holly Springs, NC
Miles Typed: 498

My Photo Gallery

Bound for the Playground...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »

The only time it is any fun is when one end is closed.   Bigsmile

Scot Dail, IBA #31533
http://www.dothetontriangle.com
"A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into wha
scott19

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV1000N, 1985 Kawasaki GPz900R
GPS: Atlanta, Ga.
Miles Typed: 564

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »

Agree that the Cherohala and BRP are chock full of awesome but that's a speed run.  If you screw up on either of those while getting your lean on, it will end badly.  

+1 I like the way you think.

bmwone

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2008 Harley-Davidson FXDL Anniversary, 2009 Aprilia SR50 Factory, 2004 Ducati ST4s, 2004 Aprilia Futura, 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE, 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 2006 MV Agusta F41000S, 2000 VFR 800, '83 Suzuki XN85 Turbo, '82 Honda V45 Sabre, '84 RZ350, '79 CBX, '77 Laverda Jota, '74 Norton Commando, '63 Matchless G15/45
GPS: Hot Springs, Arkansas
Miles Typed: 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »

I rode it 20+ years ago when the speed limit was 55 and very few knew of it.

It was fun back in the early 90's when I rode it ... I wouldn't go near the place now.

"There just aren't that many cloud-shaped clouds these days" -- my then-12 year old, while staring skyward at Arby's. I still can't decide whether he's brilliant or full of crap.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal