Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Best place to buy gloves  (Read 12400 times)

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »

Sorry Con -- given your behavior in the past, one could also sy you don't give a rat's red ass about STN. Just the way I see it.

I guess I'm not allowed an opinion I have about outside dealers trying to turn STN into their own personal little Wal-Mart and/or
engaging in marketing practices that are against or skirting the rules.

You rarely miss an opportunity for a good personal dig "based on my past".

You're just as bad anyway anymore. Somebody doesn't agree with you, attack them personally.
You're patterns are getting predictable too, geezer. You know I'm pretty much right here. So you have nothing intelligent to refute what I'm saying
except for your vindictive little personal digs you pull from your crusty ass.

I havn't heard a reasonable rebuttal from Mr. Jags either except for something about us "touchy" Members.

Sorry, but I don't come here to get "steered" in a product direction or E-storefront by dealers.

I come here to discuss product with real-world riders and users.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:07:51 pm by ConPilot1 » Logged

halloween over.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2125

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »

Just when I think the ST.N asshattery is tapering off, things like this thread happen.  

Anyway, yeah, MotorcycleGear.com and Lee Parks would be my suggestions; best customer service I've personally experienced for such things.  Thumbsup

Looked at the Lee Parks, although I'm sure the deerskin is good, and the quality is good, I'm looking for something that's more race oriented. Plus they're ugly. Smile

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

I dislike Joe Rocket in general. I have a couple of Fieldsheer items, my Highland II suit is still in use after 5-6 hard years, but always considered them a "budget" brand. I'm considering splurging on gloves because of how important my hands are to me. It's easy to fix an elbow or a shoulder, not so much a hand with 26 bones in it!

Anyone have an opinion on these types:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7770

Held short race gloves, the "gauntlet" doesn't go up very high. But what really does a gauntlet do for you if you are wearing a jacket? Seems to me that these would still keep all of your skin protected, and might fit better under my leather jacket or my riding suit.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Advertisement

dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 494

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

IMO the best glove value that exists is the Kobe Pro race glove. They're $100 from 888-fastlap, and having raced in pretty much every glove that you can buy, I think they are overall, the most protective. There is one exception...haven't tried the Knox hand armor jobber...that thing looks like the business. Apart from that though (at $250 btw) the Kobe's are beyond reproach.

They sold off the shop a few years ago (Marietta Motorsports) to focus on running a retail store and offroad riding park, so the road oriented stuff and web site has been neglected some, but they're still going strong. I think they might be out of black atm, but more are on the way (I emailed about stock levels a couple weeks ago because I need a new pair).

Kobe Gloves

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »

I like Revzilla and they have a showroom not far to boot.  Great customer service.  

+1.  Their South Philly showroom is 25 mins from me.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:06 am »

IMO the best glove value that exists is the Kobe Pro race glove.

I think this guy's on to something here. Those Kobe's look like a 175$ or better class glove.
Really.  Look at those damn things. That's a serious bike glove, I've paid the same for good gloves, but lesser of a glove.

Just from what I see there, I'd say that's a better glove for the money than any Held I've seen.

halloween over.
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 09:19:01 am »

+1.  Their South Philly showroom is 25 mins from me.  

Is it more of a showroom yet?  As in they actually have product there.  

A couple folks from up this was made the 3+ hour ride down thee last summer and they didn't have hardly anything available to try on, including the items they called ahead and inquired about.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:39:22 am by Cablebandit » Logged

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 844

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:42 am »

Anybody ever order from sportbiketrackgear.com? I've never ordered from them but I like how they have video reviews of tons of products. Great for seeing 3d views of the items.

Great place to do business with, I've got helmets, tires, gloves from there and they were great helping me pick out a race suit that fit right.
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 11:10:06 am »

I think this guy's on to something here. Those Kobe's look like a 175$ or better class glove.
Really.  Look at those damn things. That's a serious bike glove, I've paid the same for good gloves, but lesser of a glove.

Just from what I see there, I'd say that's a better glove for the money than any Held I've seen.

I like cheap stuff as much as the next guy but reviews are hard to come by, and I shy away from cheap no-name motorcycle gear, like the crap you see at the IMS show every year. It's always cheap for a reason - made in substandard conditions by unskilled labor, typically in China. The big names make stuff in China as well, but they usually demand better quality control from the suppliers since they have the volume of sales to affect changes. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards Held is because they're made (I believe) in Europe.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »

Is it more of a showroom yet?  As in they actually have product there.  

A couple folks from up this was made the 3+ hour ride down thee last summer and they didn't have hardly anything available to try on, including the items they called ahead and inquired about.

That sucks. Their "showroom" isn't the biggest but usually have a decent selection, especially for gloves.   I've had no problems when I go looking for stuff.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »

I've got a Kobe Pro 1 pc. suit that I purchased about three years ago.  I was worried that since it only cost $230 bucks on closeout that it wouldn't be any good but figured it would get me through at least a couple of trackdays.  

On my second track day, I lowsided in T5 at Barber, one of the slower corners on the track, with minimal damage to the suit.  All seams were still in tact and the suit continues to be used to this day.

On the same day that I crashed, my riding buddy of similar skill level wrecked in the same corner.  He was wearing a low end suit from a name brand and he had seams busted in multiple places.  

Those Kobe gloves look like huge bang for the buck.  I wouldn't be worried that it says Kobe instead of Held on them...I bet level of protection is very similar.

Ride On...
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »

Another brand that appears to have high levels of protection is Heroic.  I haven't had any experience with them, but folks on the Daytona675 forum rave about them.

http://www.heroicracing.com/SPR_PRO_s/4.htm

Ride On...
Hambonee

Reputation 37

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW GS 1200
GPS: Kenmore, WA
Miles Typed: 443

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »

New enough just posted 2 pairs of gauntlet style gloves at decent prices. Look like pretty good gloves:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/best_deals?utm_source=AGV+%2439+Glove+Sale%3B+Tour+Master+GX+Air+%2412+-+%2417&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Monza and sp7..maybe worth a look.

I went to the psychiatrist, and he says "You're crazy " I tell him I want a second opinion. He says, "Okay, you're ugly too!" (Rodney Dangerfield)
TBone
Not an Asshat

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: Bikeless in NJ
GPS: Pequannock, N.J.
Miles Typed: 3447

My Photo Gallery

There is no you, there is only me

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »

New enough just posted 2 pairs of gauntlet style gloves at decent prices. Look like pretty good gloves:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/best_deals?utm_source=AGV+%2439+Glove+Sale%3B+Tour+Master+GX+Air+%2412+-+%2417&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Monza and sp7..maybe worth a look.

I've got both - They're (IMO) a great glove, thick leather , comfortable, seem very well put together.  Thumbsup

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're so hard to verify." - Abraham Lincoln
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

Looked at the Lee Parks, although I'm sure the deerskin is good, and the quality is good, I'm looking for something that's more race oriented. Plus they're ugly. Smile

Helimot. Best customer service I've seen, great gloves, great shop.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

oh
gosh

Golly.

What does the Missus say?

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:19 am »

I just bought a pair of Teknic Chicane Gloves, the full gauntlet style.  Very nice gloves for the price, very comfortable.  Decent protection, I think, for the street and occasional track day.

P.S. Motorcyclesuperstore
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 03:43:42 pm »

Knox Handroids are what I use on the track, and sometimes on the street.  Sportbiketrackgear.com

The gauntlet is huge, and will go OVER the cuff of any jacket.  Tucking gloves into a jacket cuff is, in my opinion, a bad idea, as the sliding can push the jacket cuff back, exposing the wrist.  If it's trapped inside a nice, tight (whether velcro or the cool knob tightening function in the Knox gloves), your wrist is better protected.

Just my $.02

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 09:39:46 am »

I've decided that I want to try this kangaroo palm fad, but am feeling leery about Held due to various reports on the interwebs about their lack of customer support and hit-or-miss quality. Who else makes gloves with kangaroo palms? I was disappointed to read that webbikeworld reviewed some Teknic Violator gloves a number of years back and gave them a great review - the glove is still made but no longer with kangaroo on the palm. Sorely disappointed. Now it is "sheepskin", I haven't read any reviews on the suitability of sheepskin for abrasion resistance. Other websites say it is regular cowhide. Disappointing.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

I've decided that I want to try this kangaroo palm fad, but am feeling leery about Held due to various reports on the interwebs about their lack of customer support and hit-or-miss quality. Who else makes gloves with kangaroo palms? I was disappointed to read that webbikeworld reviewed some Teknic Violator gloves a number of years back and gave them a great review - the glove is still made but no longer with kangaroo on the palm. Sorely disappointed. Now it is "sheepskin", I haven't read any reviews on the suitability of sheepskin for abrasion resistance. Other websites say it is regular cowhide. Disappointing.

I had a pair of Teknic Violator Pro's and that was a great glove, kangaroo and very beefy and comfortable at the same time.

I bought a pair of 2nd hand Held's, they weren't Steves, but very similar. Didn't like them + promptly turned them around.

halloween over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal