Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Aquabox and Droid Razr....Or Another GPS...Questions, Questions....  (Read 2251 times)

TheRedOnesAreFaster
The bears still suck! The bears still suck!

Reputation 28

GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 1973

My Photo Gallery

Not LNGWY anymore.

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

I am thinking about ordering an Aquabox for my Droid Razr.  I emailed RAM last week, but they never responded (which makes not want to buy an Aquabox) to my questions.  So I'll ask them here where the people are probably more knowledgeable anyway. Smile

I see on the RAM site that the AB is incompatible with the touchscreen on the iPhones.  Does this apply to all touchscreens, or is this just Apples?  Will the touchscreen on my Droid work through the AB lens?

I have a RAM cradle for my Street Pilot 2610 (cradle and unit free to anybody who wants it after I sort out my other issues) so I am all set to mount up an AB, IF I can route power to my phone AND the touchscreen will work.

If the AB is not a viable option, I have a couple of Nuvis (255W and 465T) that I could mount with RAM cradles (I know they aren't waterproof, but I can deal with that).  Does anyone here have experience with one of those on the bike?  Will the RAM cradle hold them securely enough for motorcycle use?  Do I need another RAM mount, or will the holes in the Nuvi cradle line up with the holes in the mount I already have for my Street Pilot Cradle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cold weather and Gerbing gear- Love it!
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 5437

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »

Buy the Nuvi RAM mount if you intend on going that route.  They're damn cheap and just work.  The holes on your current ball mount will line up.  I ran a Nuvi 350 for a year or so and just kept it out of the driving rain when it happened.  As far as the touchscreen thing?  Beats me.  I have an Otterbox on my Android phone with a thick plastic layer over the screen and it still works.
TheRedOnesAreFaster

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Not LNGWY anymore.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »

I'm leaning towards the Nuvi mount.

I don't have a ball mount currently- I have a Triumph GPS base that is bolted to the clip-on screws.  But it has a 4-hole pattern that lined up directly with the holes in the RAM cradle.  I'm half hoping the cradle for the Nuvi has holes that line up like, half hoping I need a ball mount- I can't really see my Street Pilot because of the tank bag; a ball mount would get the GPS where I could see it.

sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 498

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »

The aquabox won't work with iphones.  It's the way the touchscreen recognizes a "touch".  Android screens have a different type of sensor than the iphone screen.

That being said, I just bought a "x-grip" to put my "android-touch" (wife''s old android phone not hooked up to verizon) in and that grip is SOLID.  That plus a sandwich bag and rubber band to hold the sandwich bag on and it should be good for many many rides.

Alexi
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 102

Motorcycles: How many motorcycles does someone need? Just one more! '01 Suzuki 600 Bandit S, '03 Harley 1200 Sportster, '04 Ducati ST4s ABS, '11 Triumph Sprint GT ABS, '13 Triumph Speed Triple SE ABS
GPS: South Central Michigan
Miles Typed: 4238

My Photo Gallery

"Headquarters Located..."

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

Or, you could purchase a red K1600GT & get the integrated Zumo w/ it! Problem solved!  Lol  Welcome back Red! Cheers

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
camaroz1985

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Bressler, PA
Miles Typed: 283

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »

If it is a capacitive touch screen (most smart phones are) it most likely will not work in the aqua box.  I have a Windows 7 phone, and it works if I don't have gloves on, but not when I do.  Actually I think I only tried winter gloves, my thinner summer gloves might work.  Also you can use some conductive thread and sew a patch of it in the tips of your glove fingers, then you should be able to use it.

I think it is just the combination of the screen thickness, and the gloves that makes it not work.

Current Ride - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Past Rides - 2006 Ural Raven, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS - "Red Flash"'
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3139

My Photo Gallery

ATGATT for an avatar shot?!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »

Talk to MountGuys.com for RAM and Aquabox info.  I've bought several RAM items from them and been more than pleased with their service.   Thumbsup Thumbsup

Still looking for the best t-shirt to plagiarize a .sig from...
playinatwork

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 01 Triumph Sprint St
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

I don't know what works but I will call dibs on the free 2610 when you get it all worked out.   Bigok Good luck.

IBA # 48096
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »

I've been using a RAM mount and nuvi 265w and it seems to be pretty secure so far...

TheRedOnesAreFaster

Reputation 28

My Photo Gallery

Not LNGWY anymore.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »

Thank you all for your help.

I had to get a different RAM ball, because the one the sent didn't really allow me to but the GPS where I wanted it. Actually, it was where I wanted it, but due to the way the power cord comes in the back, I couldn't get the angle I wanted.  So I had to order 1" ball on just a base plate, and that bolted to the mount for 2610.  Now it's in the right place

It sounds like an Aquabox will work for my phone.  The touchscreen on my Android works through the heavy plastic sheet on my tankbag while wearing gloves, so I cant imagine the cover on the Aquabox would prevent it from working in there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal