Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Concours 14 Vs. Multistrada S Touring Edition - opinions ?  (Read 20040 times)

Cozye

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati MTS 1200
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Hi, I posted this over on the Ducati forum looking for feedback but I know there are a lot of guys on here and some C14 owners that might be able to help. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone may have.

I'm a long time sport bike rider and WERA expert road racer who is burned out on sport bikes. I currently have one of my bikes, an 09 CBR 1000RR up for sale as sport riding on the street has just become a bit bland for me after spending years on the race track. I dream of doing more commuting, with lockable luggage so I can lock up my laptop bag when I go to the gym, carry stuff etc.. I can't stand wearing backpacks when I take a bike to work and sport bikes have just become to uncomfortable to ride at a casual pace. I also dream of doing weekend or even week trips, with nothing but a couple panniers worth of clothes and supplies leaving my leathers at home in favor my my Aerostich suit. I think I would really like a sport touring type of machine, something that I can ride on all day in comfort, and still handles well enough for me to enjoy the back roads at a spirited pace (sane, not knee dragging).

So I've narrowed it down to these two bikes. The 1200 S Touring or the Concours 14. Both really have their appeals and it's been difficult for me to lean one way or the other. The Duc, light, nimble, good urban utility type machine, great power, super handling, etc.. Less wind and weather protection though, a bit taller, and expensive. I had considered a 1200 GS for this "utility" type reasoning, but I've scratched it off my list.

The C14 is allegedly a wonderful sport tourer, but I am concerned a little about its weight. All of the reviews say this is not really an issue unless you are on really tight roads at a fast pace. All of the mag reviews I've read between the two bikes seem to favor the Kawi. It has a shaft drive, looks good, nice luggage, fast and should be very comfortable.

But the Duc is so sexy, the suspension and electronics are very appealing to me. It seems to be the perfect fit on paper for me if it's as good as it sounds and offers adequate wind protection.

I used to have a VFR 800, that was a nice bike, but I'm looking for something more comfortable than that was for me. I actually feel more comfortable on a 600RR than I did the VFR. Being 5'9", the reach forward for the bars seemed to leave me feeling stretched out on long rides. I've also owned a Vstrom 650. Hated that bike. It was not comfortable for me either, and did not handle well.

I do plan on riding in cool weather, and rain, so that's a factor.

I have not been able to ride either bike. I'm hoping someone on this site that has experience with both might be able to provide some helpful information.

Thanks,
Eric

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »

Sounds like the only way you'll be able to tell is ride them back to back.  

Have you taken into account maintenance, reliability, and warranty?

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »

Sounds like the only way you'll be able to tell is ride them back to back.  

Have you taken into account maintenance, reliability, and warranty?

I don't have the ability to test ride a C14 around here. No one does demo's on them. I'm a fairly competent mechanic and do all of my own maintenance. I would say the edge here would go to the C14, but the Duc is a solid bike as well and I wouldn't question the reliability of either one.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

Well, what do you want, a Mustang 5.o or a Cadillac CTS ?

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
Kannonball

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '13 Triumph Explorer, Triumph Speed Triple, BMW R-100 S
GPS: western Virginia
Miles Typed: 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »

I had to make the exact same decision you are looking at and finally chose the C-14.  My reasons were dealer support during warranty period (Nearest Ducati dealer is 1.5 hours away) and ease of regular maintenance.  I am a very experienced mechanic but the fact is, there are many things that can go wrong with a modern car or bike that the best home mechanic either doesn't have the factory training or special tools to handle.  You will not be able to diagnose or repair some problems with traction control, ABS, injection/ignition malfunction, etc. on either bike. Adjusting valves on a 4 valve Ducati is much more difficult than on the C-14 (though the C-14 ain't no picnic).  So, for me it came down to which bike would I rather be broke down on in the middle of West Virginia or northern Georgia.  The Kawasaki won.  That said, don't believe those who say weight isn't an issue,  the laws of physics don't change 'cause of some magical design that Kawasaki came up with.  With the right tires and suspension setup the C-14 is an OK handling bike, but 680 pounds is 680 pounds and it will NOT change direction as quickly as the 505 pound Ducati.  On tight twistys the Ducati will eat the Kawasaki alive!

Bruce

Riding Slow Bikes Fast Since 1968
Royal Tiger

Reputation -205

Motorcycles: See signature
GPS: Lehigh Valley, PA
Miles Typed: 614

My Photo Gallery

Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »

While my choice would be the Ducati, Motorcycle Consumer News picked the BMW K1600GT over the Concourse 14 recently.  Have you considered that one?

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »

I had to make the exact same decision you are looking at and finally chose the C-14.  My reasons were dealer support during warranty period (Nearest Ducati dealer is 1.5 hours away) and ease of regular maintenance.  I am a very experienced mechanic but the fact is, there are many things that can go wrong with a modern car or bike that the best home mechanic either doesn't have the factory training or special tools to handle.  You will not be able to diagnose or repair some problems with traction control, ABS, injection/ignition malfunction, etc. on either bike. Adjusting valves on a 4 valve Ducati is much more difficult than on the C-14 (though the C-14 ain't no picnic).  So, for me it came down to which bike would I rather be broke down on in the middle of West Virginia or northern Georgia.  The Kawasaki won.  That said, don't believe those who say weight isn't an issue,  the laws of physics don't change 'cause of some magical design that Kawasaki came up with.  With the right tires and suspension setup the C-14 is an OK handling bike, but 680 pounds is 680 pounds and it will NOT change direction as quickly as the 505 pound Ducati.  On tight twistys the Ducati will eat the Kawasaki alive!

Bruce

Very good points. Sounds like a very unbiased reply too. Did you have a chance to ride the Duc ? I know the C14 isn't going to handle like a race bike, nor do I expect it too. But if it's easy to ride and handles well on a good twisty road I think it would be acceptable to me. I've slowed way down on the street in recent years and dragging a knee on NC28 doesn't interest me. That being said, a good curvy road will suck me in a little and I'd still like to tip the bike in and ride it!

While my choice would be the Ducati, Motorcycle Consumer News picked the BMW K1600GT over the Concourse 14 recently.  Have you considered that one?

The BMW is way out of my price range. The Duc is stretching it, but I'd be willing to part with the extra cash on the Ducati if it's the right bike for me.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

Did you consider the new Moto Guzzi Norge 8V?
Some of the people at Motorcycle.com preferred it to the K16 BMW...

Shaft drive, ABS, hard luggage, Italian V-twin...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-moto-guzzi-norge-1200-gt-8v-review-91115.html

The price is between the C14 and MS1200

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 528

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »

Why limit yourself to those 2 bikes.  As an ex-expert WERA road racer, why whouldn't you aim for something that is still "a little bit sporty" but also light, so you're not so far removed from the race bike?  It's nice to "get it on" when you want.

I commute daily on a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 these days.  Got the hard cases for it.  Had it on a 4000 mile trip back in Novemeber.  I went through rain and snow on the north side of the grand canyon and even did 40 miles of off-roading in Death Valley.  Did plenty of canyon carving in SoCal and lots of highway miles, including a 1480 mile butt burner straight back to Houston.  Great power, light and agile for a sport tourer where the emphasis is on sport.  But I'm also a solo rider.  Never had a passenger on it nor intend to so I can't comment on that ability.  Wind protection is less than desirable but I like nakeds anyway so I'm not bothered by it.  Sure beats helmet buffeting.

There's also the Triumph Sprint ST to look at.  Pretty light too, suspension not as good as the Ninja 1k but all day comfy so I've read.  That triple is a nice engine too.

You've really went to both extremes for your title.  Lightweight duck and a 180 lb heavier Connie, which IMO is a fantastic touring rig.  But it is just that...a big tourer.  My choice over a gold wing which is way too much much bike and more like a car.  Not ridden the Duc.  Too much techno crap I'm not interested in using and I'm done with dirt bikes now, so the riding poition is out. But the ergos seemed wierd to me anyway when I sat on one.

Take a look at the Kawi and Trumpet.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
Kannonball

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

I have ridden the Ducati and liked it very much, as I said, it was a hard choice to make.  It sounds like we come from similar riding background so I think I can say you will only be disappointed with the C-14 on the very tightest of roads.  Even when its weight is a factor it's still a very predictable bike, just heavy.  I live in the mountains and all my riding is mountain roads, the only time I have a hard time with the bike is those rare times when you need to make a rapid mid-corner correction,  we have a lot of logging trucks that like to use the whole road and sometimes you gotta' change your mind when you're already committed to a line, here is where lighter is DEFINATELY better!  But that aside I really do like the Kawasaki and the reality is in 40+ years of riding I've never found the perfact bike but also never owned a bike I absolutely hated, they all have their good and bad.  and really for me the bottom line was dealer support for the few times I can't, or don't want to fix it myself.

Bruce

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »

X1Glider,
I still race WERA, so I can still get my fix on the track when needed. I'm doing 3 endurance rounds this year.
I have considered the Ninja 1000. I would still like to sit on one and check it out, but it's not on the short list primarily because I'd like more wind protection, and I think the Ego's will still be more aggressive than I want right now. The Ninja probably would commute well, but I think the long trips might not be the best idea. I'm also trying to get my wife to consider riding two up, wouldn't be the best bike for that on a 2000 mile trip. I'm ready to try a more relaxed riding style and I'd venture to say that I would lean more towards a touring setup than a sport setup all else being equal. The Duc caught my attention though due to reviews talking about how comfortable and how well of a tourer it makes. It's almost like you could live with one bike that did it all, that one would do it.

I've also considered the ST, but I don't care for the looks of it and I'm not particularly fond of the Triumphs in general.

Keep in mind that I do still have a 600RR in my garage that's perfect for a Sunday sport ride. It's technically my wife's bike, but she never rides it. She considered selling it but I've decided to keep it until I sort all through this and make sure I'm done riding sport on the street.

Bruce,
Your input is right on. I just have to decide how much I can live with the weight difference. I probably should just get the heavier bike and I won't be tempted as much on those occasions. Then there is the money. It's nearly a $5000 difference based on my research.

Dealers are closed here on Mondays. I've been meaning to get out and sit on both bikes and at least see how they feel between the legs. I may do that in the next couple of days and figure out that I don't like the ego's on one or the other.

I really appreciate all the feedback. This is a very nice forum.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

The other issue with finding a C14 to test ride is a new dealer model would have the shitty stock tires and still have the flies.  Once you change the tires and pull the flies it's a different bike.

Kannonball

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »

Cablebandit,  You are absolutely right about the stock Bridgestones, CRAP.  I've tried several brands on my C-14, Pirelli Angles (OK, but not great) Michelin Pilot Road II's (sidewall not stiff enough, not good on a heavy bike) Continental Road Attack (Great Tire on this bike) Metzeler Z-8's (best tire I've found for this bike).  
About the Flies (Secondary Throttle Plates) On 2010 and later C-14's they don't make that much difference, Kawasaki has changed the mapping so removing the flies really doesn't have as much effect on low end as it does on the pre 2010's.  

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »

Curious...they did on mine.   Bigsmile

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

If I could find someone that would let me ride one that would be great. You can trust me  Lol Seriously though, I would bring a CBR and we could trade. I've never "knock on wood" crashed on the street in years of riding. The track is another story  Wink

I know the OEM tires usually handle like crud. I've got a nomar tire changer and will remedy that quick on whichever one I get.

Has anyone tried to run a 190/55 on the Connie ? I'm assuming it's a 6" rim, We run 190/55's on 1000's all the time. They come with 190/50's but turn in noticeably better with a 190/55.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »

Yup, I've (along with many others here) gone through several 190/55's and have no intentions of ever going back to the 50 series.

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

that's good to hear. The 190/55 will make a noticeable difference I'm sure.

Also, I'm in the Louisville, KY area if there are any members that would let me check theirs out.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »

...It seems to be the perfect fit on paper for me if it's as good as it sounds and offers adequate wind protection.

The wind protection on the Duc is adequate, but nowhere near the cosetting C14.
The Multi is notorious for windscreen buffetting, but there are options...
Cool weather is no problem with the Multi, as it has two ports for heated gear, and grips.
Only you can answer the better of chain vs. shaft, but the Multi's chain is easily serviced, and significantly lighter.
Which is pretty much the point.
The C14 is a cross country misssle, in the same league as the FJR.
The Multi is a Motorcycle...
 couch

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Smoker

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Big Pig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1566

My Photo Gallery

I feel more like I do now than when I got here

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »

I was thinking the Ducati all the way for you until you mentioned your wife might ride with you.

You want the C-14. She'll love it.

Founding member, Keystone Contingent/Flying Pig Association
timdow

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR1300A
GPS: San Diego
Miles Typed: 88

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »

I don't have any experience with the Duc, but have ridden the ST1300 and FJR extensively, and took a C14 for a test ride before purchasing an '08 FJR.  Really if you want a big sport tourer with good wind and weather protection you can't lose with any of these.  My experience is that the ST1300 is the most refined but the least sporty with the best weather protection and is the most comfortable, the FJR is the middle of the road for both, and the C14 is the most sporty. So, I would choose the C14 for a spirited two hour ride, the FJR for all day, and the ST1300 for iron butt.

If you are considering used, there are many more FJR's than the other two.

-Tim

Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolken
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 453

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »

Hey there Eric

I was doing the same shopping you're doing last summer, and I got to ride a C14, an FJR, and a Ninja 1000. I'm about 280, so some of my observations may be skewed; but I'm very used to riding bikes that are set up/come stock designed for lighter riders, so I do a pretty good job of filtering that stuff. My take...

The FJR's stock suspension is shit. IMO you would immediately determine it to be unridable, meaning that a shock and a fork revalve w/ springs would be needed, so budget for that. Apart from that I greatly enjoyed riding the bike. The motor is plenty good, the transmission shifted smoothly with near-sportbike precision imo, and the fairing did a nice job of protection with minimal buffeting for me (screen full-down). The seat was too soft, the pegs were a bit low for my taste, and the rest of the ergos were good.

I thought the C14 was superior to the FJR in many ways. The stock suspension was _much_ better, and the bike in general felt more rigid to me, in a good way. I felt that it had a bit more sporting character or feel, which I like. The motor was smoother than the FJR at low rpm, but low end power was very similar on both. The C14 had a top-end rush that the FJR just couldn't match. The transmission shifted better, the seat was more comfortable, and the pegs were higher (which was better for me). Wind protection was roughly the same...possible slight advantage to the C14 because I thought it seemed a bit wider across the mid section, but I didn't measure it. If I were choosing between the two, I'd go C14.

I don't know if you actually considered the Ninja 1000, or how "tourish" this bike needs to be for you. But, the N1000 was a revelation to me. It is my favorite bike to come out new in many (many) years. The seating position is amazingly comfortable. And, when I say that I don't mean "for a sportbike" I mean in an absolute way. Nothing about the seating position is even barely sportbike-ish...it makes a VFR seem like a TZ250.  It has a tubular bar that sits you nearly upright, and the pegs might actually be lower than the C14. This is the beauty of the bike...it (finally) truly is a sportbike, but made comfortable...like we've been asking for ever since the 86 GSXR750 hit the road. The motor is pure velvet and felt stronger to me than my buddy's 05 CBR1000RR everywhere under 7,000 rpm (not a huge motor bike I know...just giving you a point of reference), it is pure velvet, it shifts like a race bike, and in general, it truly feels like a real sportbike everywhere except the ergos.  This is the bike that the VFR should and could have been since 1990 or so, but never was. Like I said, I have no idea if this bike appeals to you, but if you look at pics of it and think it might be an option, go sit on one.

Nits: the seat pushed me into the tank, and I hate that. I'd need an aftermarket seat immediately. The bike looks and feels more like a naked bike w. a screen from the saddle...it felt odd to me but I'm sure I'd get used to it. I think it's quite a looker in general...except for the pipes, which might be the ugliest objects ever manufactured. Also, the pipes interfered with my heels, so I'd be getting slip-ons for sure. Akro has some that are pure sex.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I'm all done racing now, so I've been turning my attention to this stuff. I might even end up with one or more of these in my garage this year. have fun!

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1629

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:17 AM »

What you find comfortable seems to be way different from what I consider comfy, so there's a site where you can compare bikes' measurements and ergo's.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Hope this helps.
DkKnight
Time to Ride !!!

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: 2011 Faster Silver C14 ABS
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 392

My Photo Gallery

Natitude !!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:53 AM »

Cozye,

Last year I also went through the same dilemma of choices with the C14, Multi and R1200RT, and I was coming off of a V-Strom 1000.
The C14 won out for initial cost, maint (cost and dealer network)and riding comfort 1 & 2up, and it is a great handling bike for the type of riding that most do.
Check with your local Kawasaki dealer, they were offering test rides last year when I got mine, and Ducati pushes test rides on their bikes.
The Multi has had some minor problems that siome on here have documented and the C14 has its detractors on the KiPass system and also the secondary flies, but for an everyday ST mount it does really good for me,
Try to get test rides if you can - also maybe widen your scope to Triumph as they have the Tiger Explorer and also a new ST coming, maybe BMW also.
Have fun deciding.

DK

Garry  - "Buy the bike that gives you wood"
GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: D675
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 149

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »

I agree with those who said you have to test ride the bikes .

Last week I read a comparison in a motor magazine between the  BMW R1200RT, the Moto Guzzi Norge 8V and the Triumph Sprint GT. Based on the scores each bike got, on something like 30 different points, the clear winner was the BMW.
But when the test riders were asked which they would choose to put in their own garage, they all chose the Moto Guzzi.
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2819

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »

I'm the impulsive and early adopter type, so I had one of the first C14's off the boat in SoCal after reading all the early specs and brags for a year before. I think I paid 15k OTD which was a good deal at the time, I think this was '08....

I had planned to sell my V-Strom 1k shortly after the purchase of the C14, but that never happened...

After the honey-moon period with my brand-spanking-new C14, actually the first bike I've bought 'new', ever...

I started having a hard time to pick which bike to ride on a tour, local couple days, or otherwise multiple states and a couple weeks. The C14 clearly a superior road-burner to make some serious fast business of the straights and boring interstates. Still the V-Strom really shines in the typical fucked-up bumpy back-roads where I really like to screw it on, because they're unpatrolled for the most part. The C14 can also go pretty good in those situations, but upright seating, wide bars, and long-travel suspension really wins...

So, you can see why I ended up selling the C14 after a couple years, and buying the Duc. Again, early adopting, had my deposit down early and got one of the first in California. Have had a few short-lived problems with the MTS electronics that seemed to cure themselves, otherwise I'm a very happy customer. For me, the upright, wide-bar, style of riding combined with 150 hp engine is bliss. Nevermind the on the fly adjustable suspension and all that...which comes in real handy when you get into rough road territory.

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 05:53:50 AM »

Wow. Great feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll just buy both, lol.

I will give the ninja 1000 a closer look, but I don't think its exactly what I'm looking for right now. I must admit when it was first released, I eyed it quite a bit. But it won't have as good as weather protection, heated gear will be a hack on it, and it won't do a passenger well. One of my best riding buddies is getting ready to pull the trigger on one though.

I do really think I have it narrowed down to the c14 or mts . Completely different bikes I know, that's why it will be difficult for me to decide. It's almost about which direction I want to take my riding in.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13962

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »

People who look at horsepower figures tend to dismiss the BMW RT out of hand.

Horsepower figures don't tell the whole story.

The boxer twin has been around for as long as it has because it just flat out works for riding the pace.

Riding along thru the twistys on a wave of torque is where it's at  Bigok

throw in great weather protection, state of the art luggage and heated grips...it's a great package.

JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4705

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:34 AM »

The Concours is much heavier that the Multi and I'm positive the Duc has much better handling. My first generation Multi also has a couple of early problems, which were taken care of. Since then, none. The bike has never let me down and it's a pleasure to ride. From what I have read, the new Multistrada is much better than mine, which I never regretted buying.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5766

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »

People who look at horsepower figures tend to dismiss the BMW RT out of hand.

Horsepower figures don't tell the whole story.

The boxer twin has been around for as long as it has because it just flat out works for riding the pace.

Riding along thru the twistys on a wave of torque is where it's at  Bigok

throw in great weather protection, state of the art luggage and heated grips...it's a great package.

Cozye,

Good luck on your decision.  In all honesty, both are excellent motorcycles and I think you'll be pleased with either.  The C14 will feel much heavier than the Duc; however a few on this site have had Ducs with electronics issues.  The ergonomics of both vehicles are also different - not only should you go to the cycle-ergo site that was linked earlier in the thread, you need to sit on both.  Personally, neither bike has great ergonomics for me (neither do Triumph's Tiger and Sprint bikes; though my Agusta fit me well).

Along Orson, I would also recommend the BMW RT series.  It's a really fantastic bike.  It's not going to blow you away with power like the Duc or C14; however it has great handling, is supremely comfortable, and offers amenities that the Duc and C14 do not.  You can also pick up a gently used one (with lots of goodies) for a reasonable discount - if you're looking for that.  I know you weren't asking for suggestions in this thread, I just wanted to mention that option because I think if you rode one you'd be pretty surprised at the way the boxer motor makes power.  It's a lot of (comfortable) fun to ride, and there's a reason that BMW sells lots of them.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

The http://cycle-ergo.com/ site is very helpful. That's a pretty slick tool!

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Uni

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2004 Ducati ST3, 2011 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Chico, CA
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »

a year ago I was making the same decision except it was between the C14 and the R1200RT. The local Kawi dealer would not allow a test ride and the BMW dealer did so the decision was easy. I must admit that it took me a while to bond with the BMW. I have never been real fond of the RT form but after riding it for a year the function has won me over. Part of the problem is I was riding a Ducati ST3 prior to the RT and they couldn't be much more different. Most of my riding is two up and the RT works great for that. I still have the ST3 for sole runs. Buddy just bought a K1600GT so I'm anxious to ride that. It is a big heavy m/c but I'm sure the engine is wonderful. Just not sure about the extra 200 lbs.

Jeff
GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: D675
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 149

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

@uni I came upon one on the ascent of the Great St. Bernard Pass (Alps) on my daytona 675 and the rider didn't have any problems with its weight. It went pretty fast through the switchbacks and his buddy on  a FZ8 had trouble following him.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 02:42:06 PM »

What kind of MPG are the guys getting with the MTS if you are just doing interstate (commuting) ?

Just went to the local Ducati dealer at lunch. We do have a good dealership here, they have a very good reputation for making fair deals and offering great service.

I sat on the bike, checked it out thoroughly and talked to the owner for an hour. It's a very nice bike and the ergo's are great. I will be going back with my helmet and gear to take it for a test ride in the next couple of days. They are getting a titanium one in, which is likely the color I would want.

I also just sold my CBR, so I'm going over this afternoon to check out the C14.

If the MTS rides as good as it felt in the show room, I'm pretty sure I already know which way I'm leaning.

The only disappointing thing was that the side bags are pretty small. It will be difficult to get a laptop in one of them. The owner was telling me I should try to live with just the side bags, he felt that the top case would alter the handling too much. Not sure if I agree or not.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »

I don't think I've ever had a topbox affect the handling of a bike regardless of how overloaded it was.

Strog

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 06 SV650
GPS: Broken Arrow, OK
Miles Typed: 388

My Photo Gallery

Geek on two wheels

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »

There's larger lids that can take it from 58L to 73L total but it gets a bit wide if you want to make them work for you.

I'd probably go for the top case. I've never had issues with them (other than what other people think about the looks  Rolleyes). It's your bike, do what you want.  Bigok
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »

Big bike, little bike, never been an issue. Of course I always have Givi boxes so maybe it's the Italian design.

falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5766

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »

I can assure you it's not Smile

I've had a Givi top case on a light bike before, and it absolutely affects the handling as it moves the center of gravity.
Flyer

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »

There are extended lids available for the Multi sidebags, up to 73 liters. The top box is a much more practical, and aesthetically pleasing option. It holds a laptop or 2 helmets nicely.
Mileage has fluctuated between 33 Imp.mpg city and 57 Impg. highway.
The Multi is comfortable for 2 up to 5 hours, in my experience, so far.

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13962

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

aesthetically pleasing option.

post reported to moderators.

bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

Have you checked out the new VFR? It got mixed reviews from the mags, but people who own them love them. It handles better than any of the big STs and is very comfy. Optional hard bags will drive the price up some, but you can pick up leftover 2011s for pretty cheap (relatively speaking...)

Motozeke

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

I have a 1200 S Touring and I ride with the top case on all the time. The single greatest thing you can do to improve handling is swap the Scorpion Trails for a proper set of sport touring tires.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:10 AM »

Have you checked out the new VFR? It got mixed reviews from the mags, but people who own them love them. It handles better than any of the big STs and is very comfy. Optional hard bags will drive the price up some, but you can pick up leftover 2011s for pretty cheap (relatively speaking...)

Yes. I've owned a vfr. The new one is cool, I'm looking for something a bit more relaxed.

I intend on riding the Ducati today. I'll let you guys know what I think after lunch Wink

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
jfusaro

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducat Multi Touring S Red
GPS: Western Ct.
Miles Typed: 411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »

They are cheap alright, no range for a touring platform, heavy and ugly. No one wants them other than die hard VFR fans. My riding buddy has one and will be selling it at the end of the season because he does not like it, right from the get go, he bought it because he thought it would grow on him, no character at all. He is going back to the Triumph line hopefully when the new 1200's hit the floor.
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3134

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »

If you lived close to Lansing Mi, I would let you ride my C14.  I have the flys pulled, a slip on, kn filter and a power commander with a performance map in it.  Can you say throttle wheelies at 60mph in 2nd gear.  

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
jfurf

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV1000 naked
GPS: Atlanta, GA USA
Miles Typed: 1656

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

Honestly, for commuting, I don't see either of those bikes being all that great -- especially not with panniers.

I guess it depends on the type of commuting you do, but if you're riding in a lot of urban congestion, you want something small, light and narrow. What's the point of riding a motorcycle if you can't shimmy through the gaps between cars? Try parking a giant 650+ lbs. S-T bike on a hilly side-street between parallel parked cars. It sucks!

You might be better off getting a used SV650 or something (ER6n? Monster? Honda 919?) for commuting duty, then a dedicated S-T machine for weekend trips.

What's the point in getting a motorcycle so wide and heavy that you have to operate it like a car? I'd fucking stab myself in the face if I had to wait in line like a car.  Twofinger
dan88z

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
GPS: Smyrna, DE
Miles Typed: 281

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »

Honestly, for commuting, I don't see either of those bikes being all that great -- especially not with panniers.

I guess it depends on the type of commuting you do, but if you're riding in a lot of urban congestion, you want something small, light and narrow. What's the point of riding a motorcycle if you can't shimmy through the gaps between cars? Try parking a giant 650+ lbs. S-T bike on a hilly side-street between parallel parked cars. It sucks!

You might be better off getting a used SV650 or something (ER6n? Monster? Honda 919?) for commuting duty, then a dedicated S-T machine for weekend trips.

What's the point in getting a motorcycle so wide and heavy that you have to operate it like a car? I'd fucking stab myself in the face if I had to wait in line like a car.  Twofinger

I guess it depends on your commute. Mine (when I have to) is to a suburban area data center with a motorcycle parking area. The C14 is a fantastic commuter bike for that. A couple miles of secondary roads, slab for 20 mins, another 10 miles of secondary roads and I'm there, 40 miles each way. No urban congestion, anything from light to heavy traffic on the slab which the C14 handles easily, general suburban traffic the rest of the way. I can't see a smaller bike being better for my commute.

'11 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »

So lane splitting has hit Atlanta?

vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2863

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 12:42:45 PM »

I would be tickled with either of those choices but when it's my money, I'm going to be hard pressed to get something other than this...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX1250FA/2011/GSX1250FA.aspx?category=sportbike

It's just so stinking practical but with a very nice mix of sport and touring.  Gobs of aftermarket goodies available and no shortage of power and torque.  Boring is good.  

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
ceilingcat

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: C-14 Ducati Streetfighter S
Miles Typed: 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »

I do have a Duc, Streetfighter S - one thing that Ducati does get right is all the little bits and peices you can put all over it provided you have the green to work with.  So there is that side to consider.

I also have a C14, second one, first died due to catostrophic engine failure which was resolved with the best customer service experience I have ever had.  I certainly do like the C14 for riding long trips etc.  I ride it in all weather, rain, snow, hot, cold; I do not let this bike sit in the garage keeping the Duc company.  I do not think it handles like its weight would seem to imply.  Once it gets going I feel the handling is exceptional for as big of a bike as it is.  I cannot compair it to my Streetfighter - that is not a viable comparison.  It is what it is - Just wish I had a cruise control for it.

I can't tell you anything good or bad about the MST.  I am quite happy with my Streetfighter and  I am certain you will be happy with either.  As I stated above - really depends on how deep your wallet is.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

I also have a C14, second one, first died due to catostrophic engine failure

Wow. Never heard of anything like that on the C14. I did see one on the COG forum that smoked the final drive.

Details??

halloween over.
ceilingcat

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: C-14 Ducati Streetfighter S
Miles Typed: 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Wow. Never heard of anything like that on the C14. I did see one on the COG forum that smoked the final drive.

Details??

Not going to topic hijack

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,68723.0.html
jfurf

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »

So lane splitting has hit Atlanta?

Unofficially. Yes.  Lol

(Honestly when I filter I do it in a safe/slow/non-crazy way. And I've ridden right past police and they don't seem to mind either.  Shrug)

I really need a damn GoPro to show you guys the insanity I deal with on the Downtown Connector at 5:30 every afternoon. It's definitely an extreme form of riding. But having a motorcycles honestly saves me probably 30 minutes or more on a daily basis so I don't mind.

I've just become convinced that for city riding you want something NARROW and light. Even comfort isn't all THAT important since you're probably not riding all that long a distance.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »

I would be tickled with either of those choices but when it's my money, I'm going to be hard pressed to get something other than this...

Is that the new Motus?

cognosticator

Reputation 5

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
GPS: Rincon, GA
Miles Typed: 766

My Photo Gallery

2009 Concours C14

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

About the Flies (Secondary Throttle Plates) On 2010 and later C-14's they don't make that much difference, Kawasaki has changed the mapping so removing the flies really doesn't have as much effect on low end as it does on the pre 2010's.  

There are two places that you can send your ECU and have it reflashed so the bike will act like the secondary flies are removed without losing traction control.

I have an '09 C14 and with flies out, BMC filter and Muzzy slipon the bike dynoed at 150 rwhp and 97 lb ft of torque.  This bike will haul butt.  I put on a set of Speigler LSL bars and it transformed the handling on the bike 1000%, making transitions in the twisties a hell of a lot smoother and easier than the ape hangers that come on the bike.

Jerry Holland
COG  4478
2011 Triumph Speed Triple  http://www.pbase.com/cognosticator/image/109283731/small.jpg
gritsngravy

Reputation 3

Miles Typed: 1026

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

If I really was going the distance I'd get the C-14 for the shaft drive and standard touring amenities.   It's one huge bike but for being on the road days at a time comfort is king for me.  
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

On the commuting, first we don't lane split. Second there isn't much traffic to speak of and I park in a garage with plenty of space. Additionally, the MTS 1200 is very light, fairly narrow and feels great.

It's a moot point now though. The deal is sealed. The test ride made my mind up.

It's perfect. It is light, nimble, quick, comfortable, fun, just a joy to ride. Very nice motorcycle. For the first time in a long time, I even enjoyed riding behind traffic (usually on the sport bike I was in pain and dying to get around so I could get moving again). The bike handles very well. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Wind protection was surprisingly decent, sure it could be improved for a really long ride but it was definitely adequate. Very stable and easy to ride motorcycle. Even on the highway it felt great at high speed, which was a bit of a concern for me for a lighter tall bike.
The build quality and fit and finish of the bike is fantastic.

I was at home and comfortable with the bike within a mile. Just gelled with me right off the bat.

After a bit of negotiating I have bought the Mulitstrada Smile . They just got the color I wanted in this afternoon, they are trying to prep it for me now but worst case I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I was very impressed with this bike!

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
jfusaro

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducat Multi Touring S Red
GPS: Western Ct.
Miles Typed: 411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

you have chosen wisely, good luck and have fun..
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

NeedPics

expatbrit

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1242

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »

It's perfect. It is light, nimble, quick, comfortable, fun, just a joy to ride. Very nice motorcycle. For the first time in a long time, I even enjoyed riding behind traffic (usually on the sport bike I was in pain and dying to get around so I could get moving again). The bike handles very well. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Wind protection was surprisingly decent, sure it could be improved for a really long ride but it was definitely adequate. Very stable and easy to ride motorcycle. Even on the highway it felt great at high speed, which was a bit of a concern for me for a lighter tall bike.
The build quality and fit and finish of the bike is fantastic.

I was at home and comfortable with the bike within a mile. Just gelled with me right off the bat.

After a bit of negotiating I have bought the Mulitstrada Smile . They just got the color I wanted in this afternoon, they are trying to prep it for me now but worst case I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I was very impressed with this bike!

Congrats; welcome to the club. Your feelings match mine, plus I really like the upright riding position and it fits a tall rider really well.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

Fantastic!
Congrats on the bike.

I've ridden day long rides 2 up on my St4s with no issues, and the MS1200 looks like it would be better for a passenger.

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

Thanks everyone.

The bike won't be ready until tomorrow, they just got it at 3pm and need more time to charge the battery and prep it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

But here is a pic during prep for the obligatory new bike pic..lol

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/cozye/web/915d2ab5.jpg

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
expatbrit

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »

Do love the titanium coloured ones.
Goat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours 14
Miles Typed: 21

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »

I own an 09 Concours 14 which replaced my ZX 12.  I absolutely love it for all the reasons you mentioned and more!  Even on slow speed corners the weight is not a huge issue just a minor shift in riding style.  The only place I am uncomfortable with it is in parking lots and extreme slow speed riding, here the top heavy feeling is a bit disconerting.  

How tall are you?  I am 5'9" and am on the ball of my foot when stopped, it is a tall bike.

You can't go wrong with the 14, one heck of a bike!
Flyer

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »

Great looking in that colour!
First mod suggestion:
Take a hairdryer to those dastardly frame stickers.  Rolleyes
Peel 'em off intact and stick 'em on the thoughtfully provided blank page in the owner's manual.

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »

Oh yeah, the stickers will definitely be coming off Lol

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »

Congrats!  LOVE that color.   Inlove

I hope you negotiated in a seat as well.   Lol
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »

Clap Banana Chili

You won't be disappointed... Wink

blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2007 R1200GS - Just the one now
GPS: Beech Mountain, North Carolina

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »

Duc - 423 pounds

C14 - 688 pounds

It is a no-brainer.

en arch hn o logos
JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4705

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »

Wow, that bike is beautiful! I've never seen a titanium one before.  Bigok

Duc - 423 pounds

C14 - 688 pounds

It is a no-brainer.

Boy, I knew the C14s were heavier, but I had no idea it was that much. EEK!

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »

Wow, that bike is beautiful! I've never seen a titanium one before.  Bigok

Boy, I knew the C14s were heavier, but I had no idea it was that much. EEK!

Yeah, having owned and ridden both, I don't think it's a 250lb spread. The 423 figure for the Duc is the 'claimed' dry-weight, never figured out why all the wet-weight reports from moto-mags put it at 500lbs, the numbers don't add up for me. Still, for sure, the Duc all juiced-up (maybe even adding a battery or what-not) is clearly more light and nimble compared to the C14. Though both juiced up and ready to ride, I guess closer to 150lb spread if parked on a scale...  Shrug

blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »

Yeah, having owned and ridden both, I don't think it's a 250lb spread. The 423 figure for the Duc is the 'claimed' dry-weight, never figured out why all the wet-weight reports from moto-mags put it at 500lbs, the numbers don't add up for me. Still, for sure, the Duc all juiced-up (maybe even adding a battery or what-not) is clearly more light and nimble compared to the C14. Though both juiced up and ready to ride, I guess closer to 150lb spread if parked on a scale...  Shrug

Wet weight is 485 - which is a reasonable increase over the 423 considering the fuel/oil capacity.  Still a little over 200 pounds difference.

en arch hn o logos
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »

Wet weight is 485 - which is a reasonable increase over the 423 considering the fuel/oil capacity.  Still a little over 200 pounds difference.

Yeah, 423lbs plus 5 gallons of fuel and 4 quarts of oil, really only works out to about 460lbs and that's being generous. You're still short of explaining 25lbs , nevermind all the motomags reported ready to ride at 500lbs...

Eh, don't mean to thread jack here either.. whatever the weight, they're both great bikes. But need something to do while we wait for Cozye pix on his brand-new bike!   Bigok

blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

Yeah, 423lbs plus 5 gallons of fuel and 4 quarts of oil, really only works out to about 460lbs and that's being generous. You're still short of explaining 25lbs , nevermind all the motomags reported ready to ride at 500lbs...

Eh, don't mean to thread jack here either.. whatever the weight, they're both great bikes. But need something to do while we wait for Cozye pix on his brand-new bike!   Bigok

I'm not short of explaining anything.  I did not publish the weights.  If you want to get anal get anal with the manufacturers.

Suffice to say there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in weight between the two - even 150 pounds your low estimate is alot of weight IMO.

BTW: 460 - BARELY covers the gas.  That is not as generous a figure as you may believe.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:36:16 AM by blueridgerider » Logged

en arch hn o logos
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »

I'm not short of explaining anything.  I did not publish the weights.  If you want to get anal get anal with the manufacturers.

Suffice to say there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in weight between the two - even 150 pounds your low estimate is alot of weight IMO.

BTW: 460 - BARELY covers the gas.  That is not as generous a figure as you may believe.  

Lol  You published 485 wet...that sounds about right compared to the magazine reviews I saw.

Anyway, yeah you're right, I wasn't being so generous,...gas and oil makes 423 into 462 or so... do the math...  

And for sure 150 lbs is a significant difference, can't remember where I said it wasn't...

Meantime waiting for happy new-bike owner pics...  Smile Smile

blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

Lol  You published 485 wet...that sounds about right compared to the magazine reviews I saw.

Anyway, yeah you're right, I wasn't being so generous,...gas and oil makes 423 into 462 or so... do the math...  

And for sure 150 lbs is a significant difference, can't remember where I said it wasn't...

Meantime waiting for happy new-bike owner pics...  Smile Smile

Just for your information - Dry weight often does not include the battery.  Manufacturers do dry weight differently, but many do not count it.

en arch hn o logos
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13697

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

Gorgeous color.  The website says it is called "Race Titanium Matt" but it sure looks like matte khaki in your pic.  

Enjoy!  
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »

Gorgeous color.  The website says it is called "Race Titanium Matt" but it sure looks like matte khaki in your pic.  

Enjoy!  

Yes, the website shows it almost Silver looking. In person it is definitely a lot darker. It does kind of have a greenish hue to it under certain light, but it's really more graphite looking in person vs. that cell phone pic. It definitely has an interesting affect of changing shades depending on the angle and lighting you look at it from.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2863

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »

Yes, the website shows it almost Silver looking. In person it is definitely a lot darker. It does kind of have a greenish hue to it under certain light, but it's really more graphite looking in person vs. that cell phone pic. It definitely has an interesting affect of changing shades depending on the angle and lighting you look at it from.

Think WWII fighter plane graphics on that puppy...

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
SalsaShark

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '12 Aprilia Tuono v4r
GPS: MD
Miles Typed: 352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »

First off... congrats! You'll love it.

I'm one of the for mentioned individuals who have had issues with my bike's electronics. I've had it back from the latest round of ECU games and it's been great. While it was in the shop, I started looking at other bikes, even test rode a few. When I got my strada back, I quickly decided it was a keeper. It's just so much fun to ride.

I commute daily, urban mode is a great thing in stop-n-go traffic. The ergos are fantastic. Wind protection can be changed and so can the tires... Although, I like the Scorpions on fire roads and the like so I haven't had anything else on the bike.

I love the titanium. If anything happened to mine, I'd definitely look twice at that bike.
jfurf

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »

Dude, I LOVE the matte green color. Love it. Have fun!  Bigok

Too bad the photo of it being prepped has that giant red dildo Diavalo in the background. You should photoshop it out.  Twofinger
expatbrit

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »

Great looking in that colour!
First mod suggestion:
Take a hairdryer to those dastardly frame stickers.  Rolleyes
Peel 'em off intact and stick 'em on the thoughtfully provided blank page in the owner's manual.

A year in, I got to do that.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »

Brought her home today. What an absolutely great motorcycle. A blast to ride. Its taken me no time to get comfortable with it.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/cozye/web/b7f4aceb.jpg

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
martys

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Vespa GTV, Genuine Buddy Italia
GPS: Sammamish, WA
Miles Typed: 68

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »

Congrats! I love the new color. Unless you weigh 140 lbs, talk to your dealer about upgrading the springs right away. It will transform the bike into the ride it should have had on delivery. There's lots of info on the springs on Ducati.ms

Now go plan a long trip to break it in!

wibornz

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »

Brought her home today. What an absolutely great motorcycle. A blast to ride. Its taken me no time to get comfortable with it.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/cozye/web/b7f4aceb.jpg

If that is home, better lock it up quick in the garage before some crazy thief trys to steal it.  Man it is a wonder that there isn't bars on all the windows.  Opps maybe that's the wrong neighborhood that I am thinking about.   Bigsmile   Just kidding sweet bike!!!!  Now ride the wheels off that dam thing and give us a 3,000 mile update on the bike in a couple weeks.  

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »

Beautiful.

A bit jealous..., if that paint was available when I got mine, probably would have chosen that over black. Otherwise, everyone knows the Red ones and the White ones are for posers...  Razz  Lol

I see you sprung for the matching top-box, good choice. Your wife or girlfriend will much appreciate that bit there when you wack the throttle...   Wink

Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2012, 09:24:39 AM »

Yes, I worked the top box in as part of a bargaining point to get the best deal possible. I definitely did not notice any huge difference with the top box on, even on some mildly curvy roads. Maybe on a super tight road like deals gap I would notice, but it's definitely not an issue. I was worried that it would affect the air flow and give the bike a bit of wobble at interstate speeds, but not at all. It's a good thing too, my laptop won't fit in the side cases.

She will be broken in very soon. I'll be away this weekend but It will be ready for the break in service by the end of next weekend for sure! It will be tough to baby it that long  Lol

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
wibornz

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

baby it??????? Heat cycle that thing for break in.

TED
Biking Sailor

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Couple of Guzzis, a Thruxton, and a KLR, and a bunch of the Kid's bikes
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 696

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

Remember, break in should be done on roads with lots of curves and hills!  Enjoy.   Thumbsup

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
dan88z

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
GPS: Smyrna, DE
Miles Typed: 281

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Nice! congrats on the new ride!

'11 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »

Yes, I always break them in by riding different roads, not steady rpm, heat cycle, etc.. The dealer said not to go over 6000rpms though. Thats the babying I was referring too  Lol

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

Whoa that's beautiful. I like that color. Good luck with it!

halloween over.
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 453

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »

On the commuting, first we don't lane split. Second there isn't much traffic to speak of and I park in a garage with plenty of space. Additionally, the MTS 1200 is very light, fairly narrow and feels great.

Who's 'we?' I lived in Lousiville for 4 years and I split lanes like a mofo the whole time! Smile

Yes, I always break them in by riding different roads, not steady rpm, heat cycle, etc.. The dealer said not to go over 6000rpms though. Thats the babying I was referring too  Lol

Bah...I bought a new Duc 800SS to race in 08. It got broken in at Tally that Feb...first rolled out for practice with 0.8 miles on the odo. I did keep it under 5k that session, then under 6k the next. After that I rode it like I stole it, and it was a good one Smile Love that motor.

Can't wait to hear stories about your new bike...very cool!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:18:34 PM by dietDrThunder » Logged

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »

Hi Dave,
It's Eric Murray, WERA Ex 696   Smile

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cowboy 6

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2011 MTS1200S, 1992 Ducati 851, 1992 Ducati 900SS,... Ducati 1000SS Race only, (2X) Sv650 Race Only
GPS: PA
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Turn 1 Summit Point

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »

Picked up mine last week. Pushing 900 miles already. Enjoy!

C6

“Those who "abjure" violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."  George Orwell   www.NeedGod.com[/ur
Motozeke

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

That graphite looks great... second best color after black.  Wink

My bike has been trouble free for over 9,000 miles since I bought it last June. I have a 29" inseam and I suffered through the low seat for several months before putting the stock seat back on. I'm definitely on my tippy-toes but as is often said, tall bikes just take an adjustment. I do appreciate the seat height when I'm on the go, as the position feels really commanding on the open road... you can see everything.

When my Scorpion Trails ran down I replaced them with an Angel ST on the rear and a Diablo Rosso II on the front (I wanted the PR3's on both, but had to run with what the dealer had in stock). Handling has *markedly* improved. Even in spirited riding, the rear has not yet broken loose, which used to happen frequently with the Scorpion Trail.

During my break in period, I had about a dozen instances of stalling in downshifts. It went away within the first 600 miles.

False neutrals... lots on this bike. Shift with authority and they aren't a problem.

Wind noise with the optional touring screen was pretty offensive above 70 mph. I replaced it with a Cee Bailey screen and it was a definite improvement, but as you'll find around the boards noise on this bike is an issue that never really goes away. Some guys have tried a number of different screens and just ended up cutting it down substantially. More wind blast, but cleaner flow.

One upside of having a taller screen is that I can stand rail straight on the bike and it gets blissfully quiet. This bike is *amazingly* comfortable to stand and ride on... maybe not so much if you have longer legs but for me it's just about my favorite riding position. I only do it in spurts because I can't see the mirrors, cornering is dicey and if I had to brake hard I'd go right through the windscreen.  EEK!

The top case is AWESOME, can fit two helmets side by side. The exhaust side pannier is just about useless, and the opposite is just large enough for my full face but there's only one position it fits in.

Only other gripe is that cruise control isn't even an option. Get with the program Duc!

Absolutely adore this bike. Going on a Central California tour in April and a six National Park camping tour in May. Can't wait.  Bigok
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »

As soon as I got the bike home, I had to go out of town for the weekend. All I've been thinking about is getting back home tomorrow and riding it! I've not felt this way about a new bike in a long time

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Bottomdog

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: 2001 Roadking Classic, 2011 Multistrada 1200 touring
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »

The Multi is by and far the more athletic of the 2. The Concours is the steadier steed but no slouch! As already mentioned weight plays a big factor when comparing these two. Having test rode both and ending up with the Multi for my purposes I am very happy with my choice. The one thing the Concours had was better was wind protection. Ending up with the Duc i had to get a better shield for wind. I had to get a comfier saddle but this is not the norm for most. The shocks on the Multi worked fine but under-sprung for me being 240 lbs w/o gear so I opted for stiffer springs as it was also a big improvement for 2up with heavier people. Total $400 in parts for front and rear and 2 hrs labor for install and thats it. I've been happy ever since. I use it for every thing! Urban riding, groceries, laptop, camping, twistys and road trips. It's forever peppy and handles fine at lower rpm's. It's so easy to ride it makes me feel like a better rider than I likely am. I constantly use most of the riding modes as the road conditions change for comfort and it has yet to fail me. I have the 'S' version but you can get them w/o the fancy Ohlins suspension and do the typical manual adjustments, abs or no abs but traction control on all and can be easily adjusted for your desired intrusion level. Every mode can be entirely customized to your liking I.E. the HP(150 high, 150 low or 100hp), traction control and the abs can be disengaged but has to be done every time the bike is shut down. A pain for some but I never shut mine off or care to. The Concours rode just fine. equally comfy but you sit more in than on the bike. Handling was good but it's nearly 200 lbs heavier weight is a world of difference. I also tested the BMW 1200 GS as it was more nimble than the concours but not as the Multi. The beemer lacked the spirit of the other 2 but was quite comfy. The Concours was quite fast but the Multi left me blown away and was affordable for me. This Duc also has better service intervals the Ducs previous which ended up sealing the deal for me! Hope this helps.......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal