Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Concours 14 Vs. Multistrada S Touring Edition - opinions ?  (Read 40833 times)

dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 494

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:28 am »

Hey there Eric

I was doing the same shopping you're doing last summer, and I got to ride a C14, an FJR, and a Ninja 1000. I'm about 280, so some of my observations may be skewed; but I'm very used to riding bikes that are set up/come stock designed for lighter riders, so I do a pretty good job of filtering that stuff. My take...

The FJR's stock suspension is shit. IMO you would immediately determine it to be unridable, meaning that a shock and a fork revalve w/ springs would be needed, so budget for that. Apart from that I greatly enjoyed riding the bike. The motor is plenty good, the transmission shifted smoothly with near-sportbike precision imo, and the fairing did a nice job of protection with minimal buffeting for me (screen full-down). The seat was too soft, the pegs were a bit low for my taste, and the rest of the ergos were good.

I thought the C14 was superior to the FJR in many ways. The stock suspension was _much_ better, and the bike in general felt more rigid to me, in a good way. I felt that it had a bit more sporting character or feel, which I like. The motor was smoother than the FJR at low rpm, but low end power was very similar on both. The C14 had a top-end rush that the FJR just couldn't match. The transmission shifted better, the seat was more comfortable, and the pegs were higher (which was better for me). Wind protection was roughly the same...possible slight advantage to the C14 because I thought it seemed a bit wider across the mid section, but I didn't measure it. If I were choosing between the two, I'd go C14.

I don't know if you actually considered the Ninja 1000, or how "tourish" this bike needs to be for you. But, the N1000 was a revelation to me. It is my favorite bike to come out new in many (many) years. The seating position is amazingly comfortable. And, when I say that I don't mean "for a sportbike" I mean in an absolute way. Nothing about the seating position is even barely sportbike-ish...it makes a VFR seem like a TZ250.  It has a tubular bar that sits you nearly upright, and the pegs might actually be lower than the C14. This is the beauty of the bike...it (finally) truly is a sportbike, but made comfortable...like we've been asking for ever since the 86 GSXR750 hit the road. The motor is pure velvet and felt stronger to me than my buddy's 05 CBR1000RR everywhere under 7,000 rpm (not a huge motor bike I know...just giving you a point of reference), it is pure velvet, it shifts like a race bike, and in general, it truly feels like a real sportbike everywhere except the ergos.  This is the bike that the VFR should and could have been since 1990 or so, but never was. Like I said, I have no idea if this bike appeals to you, but if you look at pics of it and think it might be an option, go sit on one.

Nits: the seat pushed me into the tank, and I hate that. I'd need an aftermarket seat immediately. The bike looks and feels more like a naked bike w. a screen from the saddle...it felt odd to me but I'm sure I'd get used to it. I think it's quite a looker in general...except for the pipes, which might be the ugliest objects ever manufactured. Also, the pipes interfered with my heels, so I'd be getting slip-ons for sure. Akro has some that are pure sex.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I'm all done racing now, so I've been turning my attention to this stuff. I might even end up with one or more of these in my garage this year. have fun!

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1628

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:17 am »

What you find comfortable seems to be way different from what I consider comfy, so there's a site where you can compare bikes' measurements and ergo's.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Hope this helps.
DkKnight
Time to Ride !!!

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '16 BMW K1600GT / '13 Multistrada 1200 GT - Gone ! / '11 Silver (Faster) C14 ABS - Gone!
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Natitude !!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:53 am »

Cozye,

Last year I also went through the same dilemma of choices with the C14, Multi and R1200RT, and I was coming off of a V-Strom 1000.
The C14 won out for initial cost, maint (cost and dealer network)and riding comfort 1 & 2up, and it is a great handling bike for the type of riding that most do.
Check with your local Kawasaki dealer, they were offering test rides last year when I got mine, and Ducati pushes test rides on their bikes.
The Multi has had some minor problems that siome on here have documented and the C14 has its detractors on the KiPass system and also the secondary flies, but for an everyday ST mount it does really good for me,
Try to get test rides if you can - also maybe widen your scope to Triumph as they have the Tiger Explorer and also a new ST coming, maybe BMW also.
Have fun deciding.

DK

Garry  - "Buy the bike that gives you wood"
Advertisement

GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: STR
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 04:58:14 am »

I agree with those who said you have to test ride the bikes .

Last week I read a comparison in a motor magazine between the  BMW R1200RT, the Moto Guzzi Norge 8V and the Triumph Sprint GT. Based on the scores each bike got, on something like 30 different points, the clear winner was the BMW.
But when the test riders were asked which they would choose to put in their own garage, they all chose the Moto Guzzi.
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:55 am »

I'm the impulsive and early adopter type, so I had one of the first C14's off the boat in SoCal after reading all the early specs and brags for a year before. I think I paid 15k OTD which was a good deal at the time, I think this was '08....

I had planned to sell my V-Strom 1k shortly after the purchase of the C14, but that never happened...

After the honey-moon period with my brand-spanking-new C14, actually the first bike I've bought 'new', ever...

I started having a hard time to pick which bike to ride on a tour, local couple days, or otherwise multiple states and a couple weeks. The C14 clearly a superior road-burner to make some serious fast business of the straights and boring interstates. Still the V-Strom really shines in the typical fucked-up bumpy back-roads where I really like to screw it on, because they're unpatrolled for the most part. The C14 can also go pretty good in those situations, but upright seating, wide bars, and long-travel suspension really wins...

So, you can see why I ended up selling the C14 after a couple years, and buying the Duc. Again, early adopting, had my deposit down early and got one of the first in California. Have had a few short-lived problems with the MTS electronics that seemed to cure themselves, otherwise I'm a very happy customer. For me, the upright, wide-bar, style of riding combined with 150 hp engine is bliss. Nevermind the on the fly adjustable suspension and all that...which comes in real handy when you get into rough road territory.

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
Cozye

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati MTS 1200
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 05:53:50 am »

Wow. Great feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll just buy both, lol.

I will give the ninja 1000 a closer look, but I don't think its exactly what I'm looking for right now. I must admit when it was first released, I eyed it quite a bit. But it won't have as good as weather protection, heated gear will be a hack on it, and it won't do a passenger well. One of my best riding buddies is getting ready to pull the trigger on one though.

I do really think I have it narrowed down to the c14 or mts . Completely different bikes I know, that's why it will be difficult for me to decide. It's almost about which direction I want to take my riding in.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 06:00:20 am »

People who look at horsepower figures tend to dismiss the BMW RT out of hand.

Horsepower figures don't tell the whole story.

The boxer twin has been around for as long as it has because it just flat out works for riding the pace.

Riding along thru the twistys on a wave of torque is where it's at  Bigok

throw in great weather protection, state of the art luggage and heated grips...it's a great package.

JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4718

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:34 am »

The Concours is much heavier that the Multi and I'm positive the Duc has much better handling. My first generation Multi also has a couple of early problems, which were taken care of. Since then, none. The bike has never let me down and it's a pleasure to ride. From what I have read, the new Multistrada is much better than mine, which I never regretted buying.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 09:46:45 am »

People who look at horsepower figures tend to dismiss the BMW RT out of hand.

Horsepower figures don't tell the whole story.

The boxer twin has been around for as long as it has because it just flat out works for riding the pace.

Riding along thru the twistys on a wave of torque is where it's at  Bigok

throw in great weather protection, state of the art luggage and heated grips...it's a great package.

Cozye,

Good luck on your decision.  In all honesty, both are excellent motorcycles and I think you'll be pleased with either.  The C14 will feel much heavier than the Duc; however a few on this site have had Ducs with electronics issues.  The ergonomics of both vehicles are also different - not only should you go to the cycle-ergo site that was linked earlier in the thread, you need to sit on both.  Personally, neither bike has great ergonomics for me (neither do Triumph's Tiger and Sprint bikes; though my Agusta fit me well).

Along Orson, I would also recommend the BMW RT series.  It's a really fantastic bike.  It's not going to blow you away with power like the Duc or C14; however it has great handling, is supremely comfortable, and offers amenities that the Duc and C14 do not.  You can also pick up a gently used one (with lots of goodies) for a reasonable discount - if you're looking for that.  I know you weren't asking for suggestions in this thread, I just wanted to mention that option because I think if you rode one you'd be pretty surprised at the way the boxer motor makes power.  It's a lot of (comfortable) fun to ride, and there's a reason that BMW sells lots of them.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:46 am »

The http://cycle-ergo.com/ site is very helpful. That's a pretty slick tool!

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Uni

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2004 Ducati ST3, 2011 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Chico, CA
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »

a year ago I was making the same decision except it was between the C14 and the R1200RT. The local Kawi dealer would not allow a test ride and the BMW dealer did so the decision was easy. I must admit that it took me a while to bond with the BMW. I have never been real fond of the RT form but after riding it for a year the function has won me over. Part of the problem is I was riding a Ducati ST3 prior to the RT and they couldn't be much more different. Most of my riding is two up and the RT works great for that. I still have the ST3 for sole runs. Buddy just bought a K1600GT so I'm anxious to ride that. It is a big heavy m/c but I'm sure the engine is wonderful. Just not sure about the extra 200 lbs.

Jeff
GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: STR
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »

@uni I came upon one on the ascent of the Great St. Bernard Pass (Alps) on my daytona 675 and the rider didn't have any problems with its weight. It went pretty fast through the switchbacks and his buddy on  a FZ8 had trouble following him.
Cozye

Reputation 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »

What kind of MPG are the guys getting with the MTS if you are just doing interstate (commuting) ?

Just went to the local Ducati dealer at lunch. We do have a good dealership here, they have a very good reputation for making fair deals and offering great service.

I sat on the bike, checked it out thoroughly and talked to the owner for an hour. It's a very nice bike and the ergo's are great. I will be going back with my helmet and gear to take it for a test ride in the next couple of days. They are getting a titanium one in, which is likely the color I would want.

I also just sold my CBR, so I'm going over this afternoon to check out the C14.

If the MTS rides as good as it felt in the show room, I'm pretty sure I already know which way I'm leaning.

The only disappointing thing was that the side bags are pretty small. It will be difficult to get a laptop in one of them. The owner was telling me I should try to live with just the side bags, he felt that the top case would alter the handling too much. Not sure if I agree or not.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »

I don't think I've ever had a topbox affect the handling of a bike regardless of how overloaded it was.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Strog

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 06 F650GS
GPS: Broken Arrow, OK
Miles Typed: 418

My Photo Gallery

Geek on two wheels

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »

There's larger lids that can take it from 58L to 73L total but it gets a bit wide if you want to make them work for you.

I'd probably go for the top case. I've never had issues with them (other than what other people think about the looks  Rolleyes). It's your bike, do what you want.  Bigok
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »

Big bike, little bike, never been an issue. Of course I always have Givi boxes so maybe it's the Italian design.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »

I can assure you it's not Smile

I've had a Givi top case on a light bike before, and it absolutely affects the handling as it moves the center of gravity.
Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6858

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »

There are extended lids available for the Multi sidebags, up to 73 liters. The top box is a much more practical, and aesthetically pleasing option. It holds a laptop or 2 helmets nicely.
Mileage has fluctuated between 33 Imp.mpg city and 57 Impg. highway.
The Multi is comfortable for 2 up to 5 hours, in my experience, so far.

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »

aesthetically pleasing option.

post reported to moderators.

bassjones

Reputation -11

Motorcycles: 06 VFR ABS
GPS: Fort Wayne, IN
Miles Typed: 2385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »

Have you checked out the new VFR? It got mixed reviews from the mags, but people who own them love them. It handles better than any of the big STs and is very comfy. Optional hard bags will drive the price up some, but you can pick up leftover 2011s for pretty cheap (relatively speaking...)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal