Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Late for Work: Got hit by a Car This Morning  (Read 4979 times)

lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Reisterstown, MD
Miles Typed: 351

My Photo Gallery

R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »

Meeting the driver tomorrow for repair $$$. I'm going to ask him what he was thinking to see if there is anything I can do improve my visibility. (I will be adding some lights too.)

Glad you're okay. If you'd had the P3 lights on your bike, the driver probably would have stopped. I don't think the heavy fog would effect them enough to reduce their visiblity. ( http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/ ) They are super bright LEDs that show solid when you look AT them, but they "glimmer" when seen in your peripheral vision. Its a high speed flicker, that says "LOOK! PAY ATTENTION!" I've seen them on a bunch of bikes and they really do catch your eye.

P3s are on my "next modification" list.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4763

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »

Well we met after work. He paid and threw in a little extra. Funny thing is, he has been asking himself the same question, so he doesn't have a repeat incident. He is a gearhead, does the Formula SAE racing thing at school, and is restoring an old XR so he can start riding. He has been talking with the riders at school to get their input on what he could have done, or didn't do. He is well aware of the gravity of the situation, and was open to answering any questions I wanted to ask. It's not often you get to ask the driver what he was thinking.

It was very foggy, and he said that he looked down, and when he looked back up he thought I was a car much farther down the road. As he started to pull out he realized it was a bike, and MUCH close than he originally thought. He said that 'bike' did not register at first. We discussed that the 'triangle of light' or 3 lights might help differentiate enough to make people actually ask themselves what that is.

I suggested, and he agreed that he will be taking the MSF before he gets his license, and be wearing gear all the time.

"Every could has a silver lining"  
Again Glad you survived and had the skills and reflexes to not get pasted.
The gentleman you had the run in with seems like a good guy and the fact you and he spoke about what was the cause and what could be done to avert this in the future (spreading the word here as well) is Fantastic!!!  So often it is just call my insurance and go F yourself or you hit me OMGOMGOMG defense.
The admission "he thought I was a car much farther down the road"  is gospel as to what happens.
  For me I believe that the triangle (lights on forks + headlamp) vision of a bike makes much more of an impact on drivers. I read it somewhere that most people are trained to see horizontal objects and to block out vertical objects (telephone poles don't move but the vertical lights/car do).
  Glad you survived and you as well as all of us got a chance to learn from this, a "silver lining"  to a possible black cloud. Thank you Max Thumbsup

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5716

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »

Wow, I didn't think those kinds of people still existed.
the drummer

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS
GPS: Northport mich.
Miles Typed: 58

My Photo Gallery

You don't have to go FAST......you just got to GO!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »

Good on ya' !! Got to like the Beemer brakes!!  Cooler heads prevail, much better than a screaming match along the road! Here's to a SAFER season!
   Glad you made it to ride another day!! Bigsmile
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9206

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »

Excellent bit of riding and excellent behaviour afterwards.  Hail

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
sodapop6620

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1572

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

Found out that the local National Guard station is using sidecar rigs.  I found this out because one of them just ran out in front of me, I aimed for them then they stopped in the middle of the road.  Luckily they restarted and motored on across the road.  I restarted my bike and continued on my way.  I am sure the passanger in the sidecar gave his buddy some shit.  The rider must have fixed on the truck that was following me.

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
MGoBlue
I bleed Maize-n-Blue!

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '00 Honda Superhawk
GPS: Gettysburg, Pa
Miles Typed: 266

My Photo Gallery

atgatt

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »

I applaud the way you and the driver handled this post incident.  I don't believe every rider would have kept as calm as you nor do I believe every driver would be as responsible on his/her follow up as this guy.  Clap

+1 ^^

I definitely learned something from this thread. Glad to see everything is working out.

'00 Superhawk
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2450

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »

Glad you all enjoyed the thread (and glad I was able to post it). Shopping for extra lights now and thanks for all the links, P3's, Clearwaters, etc.

Any accident I have ever been in (2 in 36 years, in cars) have been rear-enders. Going to add some hyper-lights on the rear also.

Ride on!
me109g4

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: kz1000 and a new to me 2004 ZZr1200
GPS: Rindge NH
Miles Typed: 54

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »

Hyper-lites are wonderful,, i put them on my zzr1200 and my kz1000. I got a lot of positive feedback from people coming from behind, especially at night. Well worth the $$$$
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal